PDA

View Full Version : Myth or fact?

lilish
November 1st, 2009, 03:49 PM
Hey all, I'm pretty new here. I have spent weeks mostly lurking and learning a lot. However I still have a few questions that I did not find answers to. If I missed something, sorry. There is so much information to get through! Anyway, a long time ago my grandmother told me that I have to get a few good cuts if I want my hair to thicken out. I don't have fine hair (thickness of all the hair in a ponytail) but it is on the thinner side of normal. My sister has super thick, mostly straight slick slippery hair. So next to hers my hair must look even thinner than it is! I think it is because she just have a different hair type (and color) than I do and I don't think it has to do with how often she cuts her hair. What do you guys think?

Leena7
November 1st, 2009, 03:50 PM
Hair thickness from your scalp has nothing to do with how often you cut your hair, but your hair can look thicker if you keep cutting it short because you don't see thin ends that result from hairs on different growth cycles, breakage, etc.

Amara
November 1st, 2009, 03:52 PM
She most likely has a different hair type - everybody is different.

All the hairs on your head are at different points in their growing cycle, so if you trim a bit, it gives the shorter hairs a chance to catch up, and you'll notice a more thick and even hemline.

"Fine" hair, by the way, refers to the diameter of a single strand of hair. "Fine" hairs are skinny, as opposed to coarse hairs, which are thicker.

You can have "fine" hair that's also thick, or "coarse" hair that's also thin.

:)

lilish
November 1st, 2009, 04:25 PM
Sorry and thanks for correcting me. I had a feeling I used the incorrect terminology, but wasn't sure. I meant the thickness of all the hair as a whole, like a ponytail. Not individual strands.

Shermie Girl
November 1st, 2009, 06:07 PM
Cutting your hair won't make it any thicker. It will make it shorter, tho. ;)

Cutting and trimming can make hair look thicker, since there are more hairs at the same length.

JamieLeigh
November 2nd, 2009, 09:24 AM
I agree that cutting it won't make it thicker. Especially if you cut in layers...it might make your hair LOOK thicker, but try putting it in a braid and you'll see how much it tapers. :rolleyes:

Some people are just destined to have thinner-looking hair...some people with coarser strands have a smaller circumference than some who have finer strands. Sometimes it doesn't have anything to do with your hairtype. It really has a lot to do with genetics and the way you treat it. :flower: