PDA

View Full Version : She must be joking!! ... or?

Eilean
November 1st, 2009, 02:31 PM
Dear all,

I was talking to a friend of mine yesterday... about hair.. obviously :D. She is a nurse at a vet. After I had told her that thr shampoo I use is quite expensive but deffo worth the money because it is all natural she started laughing and said "I'd save the money, if you want natural shampoo you could as well use dog shampoo. It's all natural with cleaning vegetable oils." :confused: She must be joking, no? She then showed me a dog shampoo she uses for her dog and it was made of cleanser made from vegetable oils, primrose oil and some other natural ingredients. Definitely no chemicals. She said she does not use it herself.. she just thought about it when I told her about my shampoo.

It is just.. using dog shampoo?! Isn't that a bit awkward? Am I too narrow-minded?

Your opinions?

Gingevere
November 1st, 2009, 02:38 PM
I dunno... many people on here, including myself, have used horse shampoo with excellent results. Just check out the ingredients and if you don't see any red flags, go ahead and try the dog shampoo!

longhairedfairy
November 1st, 2009, 02:42 PM
I'd say she was serious. As long as it doesn't smell funny (some smells bother me, especially if I have a migraine), I'd go for it.

ecologystudent
November 1st, 2009, 02:44 PM
Sounds like a fine idea to me. Probably isn't as expensive because they aren't advertising constantly on the tv, and it probably has less silly stuff like coloring and perfumes because people don't look for that as much in a dog shampoo.

Brat
November 1st, 2009, 02:45 PM
I've heard that the PH of a dog's skin is different than a human's. There are some on the soap boards I lurk on that want to make soap for their dogs, but it seems to be frowned upon due to sensitivity issues of a puppy dog's skin. Also, "chemicals" are not necessarily a bad thing. They use a chemical to saponify the oils (otherwise, no soap). Of course, wood ash was a natural source of lye. Oh, and water is a chemical too...

Try it, see how you like it. If it works, go for it!

YoginiCelestial
November 1st, 2009, 02:54 PM
Better to get the low shedding blend.
(I'm joking)
I have heard of some users on here using dog shampoo. Personally, I have never tried that.
I'm really happy with the products that I'm currently using.
Have fun experimenting if you try it.

jojo
November 1st, 2009, 03:04 PM
Might make your hair shafts be woof! but you'd be barking mad not to try!

spidermom
November 1st, 2009, 03:27 PM
Haha jojo! Woof!

We have a dog with very sensitive, flakey skin and I CO her with VO5, which works great. Turn-about is fair play.

Starblanket
November 1st, 2009, 03:44 PM
Might make your hair shafts be woof! but you'd be barking mad not to try!

Wish I had some clever puns, but I don't. :p

- - -

In all seriousness, if the ingredients contained aren't harsh, go for it! I once used my dog's shampoo when I had run out, it only made my hair a little more frizzy than usual. The results could definitely be different for you although.

Yozhik
November 1st, 2009, 03:44 PM
Go for it -- I worked as an archaeologist/surveyor a couple of years ago, and got horrible ticks from being outside all day. My co-workers suggested I try cat and dog tick shampoo -- it works like a charm, apparently, at getting rid of the critters. The only thing I might watch out for is not shampooing too often, because those shampoos (at least the tick one I had) seem to be pretty strong, and it says not to use it more than once a week. Of course, that's not a problem for a dog, who you probably wouldn't wash more often than that anyway . . . just something to keep in mind with cross-overs :)
Good luck!

Speckla
November 1st, 2009, 03:48 PM
I've accidentally used dog shampoo and my hair turned out so great that day. Soft, shiny, and a lot of good body. Someone didn't put the shampoo away and left it on the edge of the tub. I have a bad habit of grabbing to use and not looking at what I get. The only draw back was chasing the mailman...but the lawsuit will be over soon.. ;)

Wicked Princess
November 1st, 2009, 04:09 PM
You should be shampoo'ing with a cleanser that works for your hair! :) If that happens to be dog or horse or platypus shampoo ( :p ), then go for it!

What shampoo have you been using, if I may ask? My current shampoo is "all natural" and cost 2.49 USD. Takes me forever to get through, too!

pradabacon
November 1st, 2009, 04:11 PM
The only draw back was chasing the mailman...but the lawsuit will be over soon.. ;)

:spitting:

renarok
November 1st, 2009, 04:17 PM
I used my dog's Paul Mitchell Oatmeal shampoo once by mistake. My hair turned out great. Have never tried it again, but I might. I noticed it was soft and not frizzy. I have horrid frizz right now so I may just have to experiment.

linda g
November 1st, 2009, 04:39 PM
I wouldn't hesitate to try it! Our pets are probably getting a better treatment than we are. :)

Mayanquice
November 1st, 2009, 04:42 PM
I'd try it, you never know! Just read teh ingredients first. Let us know how it all works out if you do!

marzipanfuntime
November 1st, 2009, 06:05 PM
I used my dog'd organic shampoo for awhile. It was mostly plant oils and such as well. It worked well for a bit, but left to much residue for my fine locks to use long term.

Friesiangirl
November 1st, 2009, 06:31 PM
I'd be a little cautious, because animal products do not have to stand for testing like human products do. However, after a 48 allergy hour test you should be good to go!

Hayley

Alexannee10
November 1st, 2009, 06:41 PM
Haha I love this thread :) ! Me, the opposite happened. I washed my dog with my shampoo :puppy: .. Humm. We had the same smell. I think she loved it :D ! Haha!

mizk5110
November 1st, 2009, 06:55 PM
@Alexannee - My DFH and I washed his dad's Lab the day before the family came back from Canada. They were out of doggie shampoo, so I ended up using the last of my Bath and Body Works shower gel. Poor dog smelled like Vanilla Sugar for two weeks!

I say go for it! If we can use udder cream for hands, beeswax for lips/face, and horse shampoo, why not?

Alexannee10
November 1st, 2009, 07:15 PM
Yep :) ! Dog hair is still hair so .. :cheese:

Lamb
November 1st, 2009, 07:22 PM
Wish I had some clever puns, but I don't. :p
New washing method: Doggy Style!! :eyebrows:

pradabacon
November 1st, 2009, 08:41 PM
http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Laughing/lol-003.gif

longhairedfairy
November 1st, 2009, 08:47 PM
I've accidentally used dog shampoo and my hair turned out so great that day. Soft, shiny, and a lot of good body. Someone didn't put the shampoo away and left it on the edge of the tub. I have a bad habit of grabbing to use and not looking at what I get. The only draw back was chasing the mailman...but the lawsuit will be over soon.. ;)
:agape:Oh, no! Did you bite him?

:spitting: :rollin:

Quixii
November 1st, 2009, 08:51 PM
:lol:

ten characters

GoddesJourney
November 1st, 2009, 08:57 PM
Haha jojo! Woof!

We have a dog with very sensitive, flakey skin and I CO her with VO5, which works great. Turn-about is fair play.

Same here. My dog had the itch. We used to give her expensive regular dog shampoos and medicated dog shampoos, etc. It just kept getting worse and worse. We switched to that cheap lavender shampoo that Trader Joe's used to sell and it all went away. She's used nothing put cheap people shampoos like VO5 since then and her skin and hair have been great.

Starblanket
November 1st, 2009, 09:07 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol:

bte
November 1st, 2009, 10:54 PM
I regularly use a variety of animal treatments on myself, such as green oils gel for healing and Hooftect for cut fingers, so I can't see any reason against using dog shampoo if the ingredients are OK.

Teufelchen
November 2nd, 2009, 04:45 AM
I would look at the ingredients very carefully and check the ph-value (hope it is the right word and you know what I mean).
Additionally the concentrations of cleansers in it may be different to the ones in normal shampoo. Why should they write "Use not more often than once a week" on it, and " can be used daily" on the normal shampoos?
I think it's worth a try, but be careful and wait at least a week until you use it again. You could mix it with water to make it less concentrated.
By the way, the horse I'm riding had skin problems with horse shampoo, but he is happy now, since we started using normal shampoo diluted with water.

Thinthondiel
November 2nd, 2009, 05:01 AM
I would look at the ingredients very carefully and check the ph-value (hope it is the right word and you know what I mean).
Additionally the concentrations of cleansers in it may be different to the ones in normal shampoo. Why should they write "Use not more often than once a week" on it, and " can be used daily" on the normal shampoos?
I think it's worth a try, but be careful and wait at least a week until you use it again. You could mix it with water to make it less concentrated.
By the way, the horse I'm riding had skin problems with horse shampoo, but he is happy now, since we started using normal shampoo diluted with water.

The OP didn't say that it said that on the dog shampoo she was talking about - it was Yozhik who said it was written on a cat and dog tick shampoo she had tried, not on a normal dog shampoo.

SHELIAANN1969
November 2nd, 2009, 06:34 AM
It sounds like an all natural shampoo, just because it says *for dogs* on the bottle doesn't mean that it was formulated for animals only, it just means it's safe enough for animals.

I would totally use it, and I would tell everyone that I have *gone to the dogs*, been bit by *the hair of the dog* and am *in the dog house now* lol

Yeah, I would use it, it's probobly a lot safer than some crap on the market that is intended for human use. :flower:

ETA: Now I want some for the hell of it! lol, what is the name of it?

marikamt
November 2nd, 2009, 07:07 AM
From what I understand, barring the "flea and tick" variety, dog shampoo is actually more gentle than "people 'poo". I used to use our shampoo on our dogs (decent stuff) and our vet specifically told me not too because it is too harsh for doggy skin........ So I would think the reverse logic is their shampoo would be very gentle for us.....
I reiterate what everyone else said, check the ingredients, etc..... but I am willing to bet it is actually *better* (based on LHC gentleness standards)

Eilean
November 2nd, 2009, 02:31 PM
You should be shampoo'ing with a cleanser that works for your hair! :) If that happens to be dog or horse or platypus shampoo ( :p ), then go for it!

What shampoo have you been using, if I may ask? My current shampoo is "all natural" and cost 2.49 USD. Takes me forever to get through, too!

I have used Aubrey Organics so far :) .

Thank you all very much for all your replies! I was quite surprised because I thought you'd all call me mad :D .

I might actually try the shampoo for real. I can't remember the name, sorry but it was definitely Primrose and vegetable based cleaners, very liquid, a bit like watered-down shampoo. I did not smell it though.

If I can actually bring myself to try dog resp. horse shampoo I will let you know how it worked out!

Thank you all again!

PS: .. will I need a muzzle.. or a leash? And if yes, would that make me a freak on the leash?!

halo_tightens
November 2nd, 2009, 02:49 PM
And if yes, would that make me a freak on the leash?!

No, of course not-- you'd just be feelin' like one. ;)

Eilean
November 2nd, 2009, 02:54 PM
Ah I think I could live with that :D.

Madame J
November 2nd, 2009, 05:15 PM
One thing I have found is that some animal products do not have as rigorous labeling requirements as products meant for humans. The bottles of dog shampoo and conditioner have ingredients like "cleansers derived from [source]" or "natural conditioner base," but don't actually say the specific chemicals used. And the dog shampoo my in-laws get from Walmart has SLS in it.

So dog shampoo is not necessarily an automatic natural product. Definitely read the ingredients, and if you find something good, try it out. I did find that the dog conditioner from the natural pet store was cheaper than the conditioner from the natural grocery store.

Paliele
November 2nd, 2009, 08:38 PM
Sounds good to me! If you think people will be weirded out by your shampoo choice, just don't tell them.

pradabacon
November 2nd, 2009, 08:40 PM
Yes, cross out 'Dog' and write 'People' on the bottle with a magic marker. Give yourself a giggle every time you wash. :D

Bene
November 2nd, 2009, 10:12 PM
Dear all,

I was talking to a friend of mine yesterday... about hair.. obviously :D. She is a nurse at a vet. After I had told her that thr shampoo I use is quite expensive but deffo worth the money because it is all natural she started laughing and said "I'd save the money, if you want natural shampoo you could as well use dog shampoo. It's all natural with cleaning vegetable oils." :confused: She must be joking, no? She then showed me a dog shampoo she uses for her dog and it was made of cleanser made from vegetable oils, primrose oil and some other natural ingredients. Definitely no chemicals. She said she does not use it herself.. she just thought about it when I told her about my shampoo.

It is just.. using dog shampoo?! Isn't that a bit awkward? Am I too narrow-minded?

Your opinions?

So, um...

What's the name of the dog shampoo? Do you think it's available in the states?

:o

OhMyCurlz
November 3rd, 2009, 09:48 PM
It's most likely castille based if it's just oils listed. Since the PH balance of dogs skin is higher than ours, I'm assuming that the shampoo would be adjusted for them accordingly.

jojo
November 4th, 2009, 07:54 PM
LMAO:D ddint I see you chasing an ice cream van??? oh sorry i wasn't supposed to mention that>>>>>>>sneaks off:cool:

jojo
November 4th, 2009, 07:56 PM
New washing method: Doggy Style!! :eyebrows: <snigger>:D NO COMMENT!!!

SHELIAANN1969
November 4th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Yes, cross out 'Dog' and write 'People' on the bottle with a magic marker. Give yourself a giggle every time you wash. :D

Or Dogs *best friend* lol

Madame J
November 4th, 2009, 08:11 PM
One thing I noticed when looking at shampoos and conditioners at the natural pet store is that dog products don't seem to have the labeling requirements that human products do. The shampoos were frequently labeled as having "Natural cleansers" as an ingredient and the conditioners as being primarily "Herbal conditioner base." It didn't say any of the specific chemicals (which can be naturally derived) or even what herbs went into it. Since things like sulfates can be derived from natural vegetable oils, I would be wary using a product that didn't specify the ingredients it uses.

Also, the dog shampoo my in-laws get from Wal-mart has SLS in it. They would be better off washing their dog with baby shampoo (which is what my boss uses).