PDA

View Full Version : Scholarships for redheads?

Gingevere
November 1st, 2009, 02:22 PM
I'm currently in the process of applying to colleges/universities, and I'm also on the lookout for good scholarships. The other day, I was using a scholarship finder website and I had to answer a whole bunch of questions so the search engine could match me with fitting scholarships. One of the questions was: Do you have any unique characteristics or special circumstances? One of the answers was "red hair!" And the funniest part was that it was listed among things like "unadopted child" and "cancer survivor." I wasn't aware that having red hair is a disability, but hey... you learn something new every day. :D

akurah
November 1st, 2009, 02:28 PM
Red hair has negative connontations in many European and US regions. One that comes to mind is that redheads are "soulless", another is that they're constantly mocked by being called "ginger".

(Note, I am by no means justifying or condeming the presence of such scholarships, nor is above statement a passage of judgement. Merely statement of fact.)

Gingevere
November 1st, 2009, 02:31 PM
Red hair has negative connontations in many European and US regions. One that comes to mind is that redheads are "soulless", another is that they're constantly mocked by being called "ginger".

(Note, I am by no means justifying or condeming the presence of such scholarships, nor is above statement a passage of judgement. Merely statement of fact.)

Oh yes, I'm well aware of this. I have red hair myself, but I have never faced real discrimination because of it. I just think it's pretty silly to give out a scholarship for it, that's all. But hey, if I can get free money, sa-weet!

2peasinapod
November 1st, 2009, 02:34 PM
LOL at unadopted child, :confused: at cancer survivor!

Tabitha
November 1st, 2009, 02:56 PM
This made me think of the Sherlock Holmes story, The Redheaded League (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Red-Headed_League)!

UncommonTart
November 1st, 2009, 03:01 PM
Keep in mind that pretty much any individual or organization can endow a scholarship, and if it's your money, you can set the criteria for awarding the scholarship to whatever you wish. It might be because of a personal creed or value system, or because a particular trait (left-handedness, red hair) reminds you of someone you love, or maybe just because it's Tuesday.

For example, if I had the money and the inclination, I could create a scholarship for long-haired women in their mid twenties who own parrots and knit. (If I did have those kinds of resources, I'm afraid I'd be using them to finish puttting myself through school first, though.)

Kat
November 1st, 2009, 03:02 PM
My partner's sister got a scholarship for being short--and yes, they measured her to make sure (I can't remember if she had to be exactly 5 feet, or under 5 feet). Along with the money she got a stepstool...

Gingevere
November 1st, 2009, 03:05 PM
Keep in mind that pretty much any individual or organization can endow a scholarship, and if it's your money, you can set the criteria for awarding the scholarship to whatever you wish. It might be because of a personal creed or value system, or because a particular trait (left-handedness, red hair) reminds you of someone you love, or maybe just because it's Tuesday.

For example, if I had the money and the inclination, I could create a scholarship for long-haired women in their mid twenties who own parrots and knit. (If I did have those kinds of resources, I'm afraid I'd be using them to finish puttting myself through school first, though.)

As a matter of fact, "left-handed" was also listed.

UncommonTart
November 1st, 2009, 03:32 PM
As a matter of fact, "left-handed" was also listed.

Yuppers, I remember that one being on the list. I didn't qualify, since I can (and indeed prefer to) use my right hand for everyday writing. I'm "mostly left-handed" since a stubborn kindergarten teacher insisted that I learn to write right handed. :D

How about the CIA's (Culinary institute of America, not the other CIA) Apple Pie Recipe Scholarship? (Tried for it myself.) Or the American Sheep Industry Association's "Make it With Wool" scholarship?

There's something for everyone, if you look hard enough.

pepperminttea
November 1st, 2009, 03:53 PM

Just to say, I'd guess that half the jibes are out of jealousy. I definitely wanted red hair when I was school age. :D But I've never heard the 'soulless' thing before, that's a new level of ridiculousness.

adiapalic
November 1st, 2009, 04:39 PM
There has been some concern and controversy the past couple of years over what is considered possible "hate crimes" against redheads. (http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/story.html?id=ac06eaac-1cb1-4ee7-8e17-a9b8b314af71)

It all started with a 2005 episode of South Park, Ginger Kids (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ginger_Kids). This went on to inspire a facebook group called "Kick a ginger day".

To my knowledge, it has always been sort of a love/hate thing when it comes to people finding redheads or "gingers" appealing/repulsive. I personally like red hair, freckles, pale skin (http://www.rankopedia.com/CandidatePix/18557.gif). I think it's beautiful :shrug:

As far as South Park's show goes, this doesn't really surprise or appall me, it's their schtick to have Cartman's character purvey prejudices and have Kyle's character call him out to right his wrongs by the end of the show--but never underestimate the ignorance and immaturity of middle or high school children by taking a parody joke too far, even if the joke is in bad taste, and despite Kyle's failed attempt to redeem Cartman.

Perhaps this sort of thing that's been going on is what perpetuated the motion for such a scholarship?

klcqtee
November 1st, 2009, 05:20 PM
There are lots of weird scholarships, like for being left handed.

I signed up for a scholarship for being short a few months ago.

I figure, hey, whatever it takes to pay for college!

Mayanquice
November 1st, 2009, 05:33 PM
I have never heard of these! AS you said whatever it takes to pay for college!

Pierre
November 1st, 2009, 10:33 PM
This made me think of the Sherlock Holmes story, The Redheaded League (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Red-Headed_League)!
Exactly. I suspect Ezekiah Hopkins is behind it. ;)

Gothic Lolita
November 3rd, 2009, 08:25 AM
Hey cool! I'm a readhead, I'm a lefty and I'm only 5'0''! When can I come and get my scholarship?! I WANT IT

berr
November 3rd, 2009, 08:31 AM

That would be me. Soul less and with good reason. I was literally tortured over my hair growing up. It also helps me keep the d.b.'s at bay.

enfys
November 3rd, 2009, 11:39 AM
It started well before 2005. I left school 2004 and saw horrible bullying of my friends for being ginger.

When we had pastoral lessons (an hour talking about life) on of them was about racism. Naturally my tutor asked the girl whos family were African. Nope, she was never bullied. The Muslim who wore a headscarf? No, nothing.

"Has anyone been bullied?!" she asked. Every ginger kid put their hand up. It's shocking.

I had no idea how scholarships worked before reading this; I don't think they really exist in the UK. Shame.

florenonite
November 3rd, 2009, 12:31 PM
I had no idea how scholarships worked before reading this; I don't think they really exist in the UK. Shame.

That's because in the UK you don't have to pay the price of a small house to go to uni :p

Seriously, a year at the average American university costs residents more than twice what I'm paying here in Scotland as an international student. I think most people have scholarships, bursaries or loans to help cover tuition.

Fractalsofhair
November 3rd, 2009, 02:58 PM
Personally, I've never heard of discrimination against redheads other than them being insulted if they don't tan, but that's something I face as a pasty person, not as a blonde. Now, I do live in a mostly Irish town, so a lot of people have hair that is either dark blonde, dark red, or bright red naturally, though a lot of people do dye it. I don't think it couldn't exist though.

I wonder if Hennaheads qualify for the red hair scholarships though!!!!

missjessiecakes
November 3rd, 2009, 03:05 PM
Poor redheads :( They are my favorite. When I meet someone new I dont notice smile or eyes I immediately look for red hair. I believe I've only dated one non-redhead. My current bf got the redhead scholarship :D