PDA

View Full Version : can essential oils be bad for hair?

vdhendrix
November 1st, 2009, 03:31 AM
i am makeing some hair oil, out of coconut, grapeseed, jojoba and sweet almond oils, but i also want to add a little bit of essential oil for fragrance. i have a blend of orange, lemongrass and neroli essential oil in a base of jojoba oil, so will adding this to my hair oil harm my hair in anyway?

Gulbahar
November 1st, 2009, 04:04 AM
Not at all. It's totaly safe to use them. EOs won't do anything FOR your hair either although they can be very beneficial for the scalp.

pinchbeck
November 1st, 2009, 08:51 AM
Not at all. It's totaly safe to use them. EOs won't do anything FOR your hair either although they can be very beneficial for the scalp.
Please explain what you mean. I have read that some EOs can give shine to hair such a rosemary oil. If this isn't true than I will not run out and buy a tiny bottle for $10!

mira-chan
November 1st, 2009, 10:10 AM
Please explain what you mean. I have read that some EOs can give shine to hair such a rosemary oil. If this isn't true than I will not run out and buy a tiny bottle for $10!
When applied to the scalp your hair will grow healthier and shinier. In addition rosemary balances the oil production, thus making hair and scalp healthier that way. It's not an instant shine boost to already grown hair.

clairenewcastle
November 1st, 2009, 10:29 AM
Neroli is one of my favourite scents - the combination you're suggesting sounds heavenly!
However, although I've frequently applied neroli in a base of jojoba oil to my face with sootheing results, my skin has reacted very badly to orange oil. As soon as orange oil comes into contact with any part of my body I instantly get a sensation similar to of hundreds of needles constantly jabbing my skin. It only takes minutes for my skin to flare up in red blotches. Apparently this is a common reaction to orange oil so I would caution you about letting the oil touch your scalp. Lemongrass oil and lemongrass tea both cause me a red rash although it's not as painful as the reaction I get from orange oil. I would also poiint out that lemongrass oil can be quite astringent.
I would definately suggest you test the blend on your arm prior to applying it to your scalp.
I agree with Mira-chan when she says that essential oils don't do a lot of good for your hair, but can affect the scalp.
Have fun experimenting with various oils but always test for skin reactions first.

Gulbahar
November 1st, 2009, 11:00 AM
Rinsing with rosemary infusion can give instant shine to your hair. Rosemary EO can only help in the long run and only if applied to the scalp (diluted of course).

clairenewcastle
November 1st, 2009, 11:31 AM
Rinsing with rosemary infusion can give instant shine to your hair. Rosemary EO can only help in the long run and only if applied to the scalp (diluted of course).

I found that an infusion of rosemary did add shine to my hair but I would advise anyone using it or the essential oil to first read the recent "Rosemary and birth control" thread.

Brat
November 1st, 2009, 03:43 PM
I'd check out what your supplier says about the EOs you want to use. Some are very harsh and some are gentle. It depends on which ones you have and want to use. I'd do some research on each particular oil you want to use before putting them in anything, they can do serious things!

Henna Sooq
November 2nd, 2009, 11:25 AM
Rosemary is a really nice essential oil to add to your hair regimen. I think $10.00 for a small bottle, like what 5 ml? is way too expensive