PDA

View Full Version : Shedding Season and Noticeably Thinner Hair

Snowflakey
October 31st, 2009, 11:34 PM
I've noticed that recently, some of you have been reporting extra shedding, possibly as seasonal thing. In the past week, I've been losing SO much hair (I would estimate catching about 50 a day, and there are probably a lot that I don't catch). It seems like very little compared to what some of you go through, but I normally almost never shed (I used to only catch about 10 a day).

The worst thing is that my hair has gotten NOTICEABLY thinner. My ponytails and braids look and feel smaller, and parts of my scalp are slightly visible through my hair, particularly at the top (the cowlick, crown, I'm not sure what that part's called), and bangs. I haven't changed anything in my hair routine, or my diet (though I started my 50% raw-food diet 5 months ago).

This has only started a week ago, and I already feel like my hair is so much thinner. I'm afraid that if this goes on for a few more days, I'll have no more hair left... I already had thin hair to start with, so I really can't afford to get thinner.

Can someone please give me some advice? I'm really scared...

Aditi
November 1st, 2009, 12:54 AM
I can feel your pain dear i am going through the same thing. I am shedding like hell and it worries me a lot which results into some more :(. But don't worry so much you won't go completely bald it will stop in sometime as your hair will get the hang of the changing season.

Snowflakey
November 1st, 2009, 06:51 PM
Thanks for the reassurance, Aditi.

Does anyone else know if this is normal? To see noticeable thinning during shedding season?

Belledandy
November 1st, 2009, 08:29 PM
I seem to shed like mad anyways, but the fall has brought my rapid growth to a snail's pace. I hope your shed at least evens out. I find mine kinda go on a cycle. I'll lose a whole bunch then get a lot of regrowth. Hang in there!

mira-chan
November 1st, 2009, 08:36 PM
Maybe your scalp is producing more oil or the hair is more limp thus making look like it's thinner? Mine does that some times. I'm also in my yearly shedding period now. If the shedding keeps up being the same for more than a month, check with your doctor for any nutrient deficiencies.

hennared
November 1st, 2009, 09:39 PM
Hi -

I know a bit about hair shedding (I lost a LOT of my hair - 45-50%! - due to inexplicable shedding over the past 19 months, now.. my shedding I think is finally mysteriously slowing for equally unknown reasons). I will say, you would have to have been losing a LOT more than 50 hairs a day to detect thinning in a week - really! So, whatever is going on likely has been going on longer (IMHO) or, your hair is feeling thinner for other reasons (are you caring for it differently?) I am not one to make light of shedding, since, if you definitely think there's a difference, well, you know your hair better than anyone. If you have to go an extra go-round on the ponytail elastic, then it's significant and it's getting scary, to my mind. Might not hurt to get some blood work if you have insurance to rule out anything serious. If you are perimenopausal (like me) or just on or off birth control, you could be experiencing hormonal hair loss.