PDA

View Full Version : I clarified (pics)

Tornerose
October 31st, 2009, 02:39 PM
Ok so on thursday I clarified with baking soda for the first time. And I really love it
My hair feels so much softer, it seems to tangle less, I seem to shed less and it looks lighter and feels softer. :cheer:
However it feels alittle dry at the same time so I guess some deep oil treatments are coming up.

Anyways here are the pics.

After clarifying, left to drip-dry.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3053&pictureid=54077

After combing
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3053&pictureid=54076

It almost looks like there's a wave or two left this time :hollie: So maybe I have to succumb to peer pressure and list myself as a 1c/2a?

angelthadiva
October 31st, 2009, 02:42 PM
Very pretty!! I like the baking soda clarify; it makes my hair fluffy soft!

pilateschick7
October 31st, 2009, 02:49 PM
Very pretty. Your length is stunning.

Sorry I am not very good at hair typing:)

Carolyn
October 31st, 2009, 03:10 PM
After clarifying, it's a good idea to use a nice rich moisturizing conditioner to add back in the moisture that was removed. Clarifying gets the gunk and build up off but it also strips out the moisture and you need to replace it.

Tressie
October 31st, 2009, 03:41 PM
Your hair really looks lovely and your length is wonderful! I'm not good at hair typing either, so I don't know about that part! You are doing a great job obviously!! (o:

Tornerose
October 31st, 2009, 04:19 PM
Very pretty!! I like the baking soda clarify; it makes my hair fluffy soft!
Thank you. Yeah it somehow looks and feels thicker now :D

Very pretty. Your length is stunning.

Sorry I am not very good at hair typing:)
Thank you :flowers:
Oh don't worry about the hairtyping, I had a different thread a while back, wich seemed to put me in the 1c/2a category. But as I've always thought of myself as a straightie, I feel like a 2anything is way beyond what I ever can get my hair to... So I brushed it off as leftover bunwaves or whatever. But this time around I have no such excuse, since hair has been down for quite a few weeks.

After clarifying, it's a good idea to use a nice rich moisturizing conditioner to add back in the moisture that was removed. Clarifying gets the gunk and build up off but it also strips out the moisture and you need to replace it.
Yeah I know. I just wanted to see what I really have to work with here, after all it's been almost a year on this forum with no real changes in routine and what not. And all the pretty hair on this site makes me envious, so I figured might aswell see how bad it is, then start treating it more properly :D

Your hair really looks lovely and your length is wonderful! I'm not good at hair typing either, so I don't know about that part! You are doing a great job obviously!! (o:
I'm trying to treat it better than I have been doing atleast :D

spidermom
October 31st, 2009, 04:36 PM
Nice photographs of beautiful hair!

Carolyn
October 31st, 2009, 04:47 PM
Yeah I know. I just wanted to see what I really have to work with here, after all it's been almost a year on this forum with no real changes in routine and what not. And all the pretty hair on this site makes me envious, so I figured might aswell see how bad it is, then start treating it more properly :D
Yep :) There sometimes comes a time when you need to see exactly what you have going on, assess, and go from there. I think your hair looks great.

Paliele
October 31st, 2009, 05:04 PM
Very pretty! I did baking soda washes for a while, but then I moved to an apartment without a water softener and the baking soda + hard water did some pretty funky stuff to my hair. So now I'm baking soda-free until I find some softer water. I'm glad it worked for you!

melikai
October 31st, 2009, 06:45 PM
I'm still saying 1c/2a ;)

Plus, I'm not sure where the clarifying-for-hair-typing idea came from? As far as I was "taught" here, you wash your hair as normal, then leave it to air dry without any detangling or combing.

ZenBird07
October 31st, 2009, 09:15 PM

Plus, I'm not sure where the clarifying-for-hair-typing idea came from? As far as I was "taught" here, you wash your hair as normal, then leave it to air dry without any detangling or combing.

Hmmm...I think a CO is coming up for one more go at this hairtyping thing for me, then I calls it quits for the hairtypin... My hair should like this MUCH better...
I actually read about and was told on the boards to do the clarify. Everybody seems to have very strong opinions about it to. I guess I'll give this way(yet another 'way') a chance now and hopefully my hair won't flip me the bird, slap me in the face and leave...;)

Carolyn
November 1st, 2009, 06:51 AM

Plus, I'm not sure where the clarifying-for-hair-typing idea came from? As far as I was "taught" here, you wash your hair as normal, then leave it to air dry without any detangling or combing.I think the reason it's been recommended that you clarify before deciding on your hair type, is that the clarifying wash will get rid of any product build up. That could affect your assessment of your hair type. If you hair is "nude", you'll be able to to see exactly how wavy it is for example.

Tornerose
November 1st, 2009, 07:03 AM
Nice photographs of beautiful hair!

Yep :) There sometimes comes a time when you need to see exactly what you have going on, assess, and go from there. I think your hair looks great.
Yeah, I've been doing the same routine for the last 6 years or so, so I definately need a change

Very pretty! I did baking soda washes for a while, but then I moved to an apartment without a water softener and the baking soda + hard water did some pretty funky stuff to my hair. So now I'm baking soda-free until I find some softer water. I'm glad it worked for you!
Thank you :)
I heard it can be very drying to do this as a normal routine, so that may have caused the strange things happening too?

Haha yeah, I guess I can't blame it on bunwaves this time around. And it looks to have a tiny wave or two left after combing this time around so I guess I'll have to submit to peer pressure ;)

I thought the clarifying thing was because of build-up? Because regular shampoos and conditioners are often loaded with cones, etc, so it may straighten out hair etc.
That certainly seems to have been my issue, I thought I was a 1a/1b before...

Hmmm...I think a CO is coming up for one more go at this hairtyping thing for me, then I calls it quits for the hairtypin... My hair should like this MUCH better...
I actually read about and was told on the boards to do the clarify. Everybody seems to have very strong opinions about it to. I guess I'll give this way(yet another 'way') a chance now and hopefully my hair won't flip me the bird, slap me in the face and leave...;)

I think maybe it's because if we clarify, everyone has basicly the same set of ingredients left on their hair, so it's easier to find hairtwins etc.

I think the reason it's been recommended that you clarify before deciding on your hair type, is that the clarifying wash will get rid of any product build up. That could affect your assessment of your hair type. If you hair is "nude", you'll be able to to see exactly how wavy it is for example.
And also see what other kinds of damage you've got gong on ;)

melikai
November 1st, 2009, 06:06 PM
I think the reason it's been recommended that you clarify before deciding on your hair type, is that the clarifying wash will get rid of any product build up. That could affect your assessment of your hair type. If you hair is "nude", you'll be able to to see exactly how wavy it is for example.

Ah, yes that makes sense. Now I wonder if I have to redo mine! Hmmm.