PDA

View Full Version : one year on biotin and my nails...

redneckprincess
October 31st, 2009, 07:06 AM
are so thick, and strong. I always had thin and frail nails and NEVER thought I could not only grow but keep long nails without using press ons..but here they are...to stay!!! yeah they break still if im doing something, but not as often as they used to when and before i first started greowing them out..And I am no longer tempted to pick at them when boardum strikes because they are to thick!!
just wanted to share my excitement!!!

(not to mention what the biotin has done for my hair and weight...yes weight {read the bottle it helps with motabolism and such} I have lost 10 lbs over the last year WITHOUT trying) ☺

kwaniesiam
October 31st, 2009, 07:40 AM
Congratulations! How much are you taking? I need to get myself some biotin :D

MBonn
October 31st, 2009, 08:17 AM
Might look into this. My nails are so thin they just bend and break. :(

Vianka
October 31st, 2009, 08:46 AM
Yay! I started taking biotin this month and also have thin flexible nails that sometimes peel. How much biotin do you take? I only take about 1.5mg per day and I'm wondering if that will make a difference.

kam984420
October 31st, 2009, 08:57 AM
Yay! I started taking biotin this month and also have thin flexible nails that sometimes peel. How much biotin do you take? I only take about 1.5mg per day and I'm wondering if that will make a difference.

At one time, i was taking 3 mg of biotin per day (3000 mcg) but since then i have stopped taking it :(. I've heard of people taking upwards of 5 mg or even 10 mg of biotin per day. Just depends on how much you can take without it breaking you out. Im about out of biotin and i need to go to town to get some more if im going to re-grow my hair.:)

hmmm
October 31st, 2009, 10:17 AM
I've heard so much about biotin on this site... is it available everywhere in the world? If not, what does it contain? So glad it worked for you!

ETA I've done some searching and found some foods that contain biotin. Thank you, LHC!

redneckprincess
November 1st, 2009, 12:55 PM
I take two (2) 5000mcg a day though I only took one a day for about 6 months and then I up-ed it

Gingevere
November 1st, 2009, 01:22 PM
I've heard some people haven't had luck with biotin, but it's worked miracles for me! Noticeably faster hair growth, faster nail growth... and I've always had really weak, brittle nails, too. Biotin is a great little vitamin. I take 2800 mcg per day, and I'm thinking about increasing a bit more.

abritta3
November 3rd, 2009, 07:12 AM
I also take 5mg of biotin per day. 5mg is a pretty high dosage to start off with. For any new biotin users I would suggest 2.5mg and then you can increase the dosage later.
Biotin is great for me too :)

melrose1985
November 3rd, 2009, 07:59 AM
I wish i could take this stuff so bad but i broke out SO badly while taking it!

rach
November 3rd, 2009, 09:49 AM
i don't know about my hair, as it's dramatically changed over the last 8 months due to other factors but yes the nails are much, much better !!!!!! :D

MakeLoveNotWar
November 3rd, 2009, 10:12 AM

I've heard that taking Vitamin C along with the biotin is supposed to help stop your skin from breaking out. I've also just started taking DE and that is helping my skin soooo much.

paperwhite
November 3rd, 2009, 10:43 AM
I started off taking 5mg about two months ago and I'm seriously amazed at what it's done for my nails. I've always had soft, weak nails that were constantly peeling and now they're so strong that I can catch them on things and they don't even bend! I didn't think there was anything out there that would help my stupid nails, but biotin certainly has.

I haven't really been measuring my hair on a regular basis and I've done two trims since starting, so I can't say what it's done for growth, but it couldn't hurt. Also, I've been lucky enough to not break out while taking it. Maybe the fact that I also started taking vitamin C at the same time helped, like MakeLoveNotWar mentioned above.

CestMadeleine
November 3rd, 2009, 11:35 AM
I've heard that taking Vitamin C along with the biotin is supposed to help stop your skin from breaking out. I've also just started taking DE and that is helping my skin soooo much.

How much vitamin C do you think you need to stop the skin from breaking out?

And also, what's DE? *feels stupid*

I've been interested in biotin for a while, I might just give it a go. There's a VERY small amount in my multivitamin, 45 mcg :/ but I want to try a higher dosage now.

MakeLoveNotWar
November 3rd, 2009, 11:43 AM
How much vitamin C do you think you need to stop the skin from breaking out?

And also, what's DE? *feels stupid*

I've been interested in biotin for a while, I might just give it a go. There's a VERY small amount in my multivitamin, 45 mcg :/ but I want to try a higher dosage now.

I'm not exactly sure how much Vitamin C, I would wait for someone who actually used it for that reason to tell you haha. DE is (food grade) diatomaceous earth, and it's a very fine power that you can just mix into a drink. It's supposed to be very good for you.

CestMadeleine
November 3rd, 2009, 11:45 AM
Ohhh I know about that powder. Cool :D thanks!

Now to wait for someone who knows how much vitamin C you need.

redneckprincess
November 3rd, 2009, 01:43 PM
have you tried just a very small dose...and slowly move up when you start breaking out go back...could work

Naamah
November 3rd, 2009, 01:46 PM
I've been taking 5000 mcg of Biotin for a bit over a month and already my nails look a lot better and are growing so quickly. :)

longforhim
November 3rd, 2009, 04:38 PM
Biotin has really improved my nails and my hair as well. I take about 3000mcg of biotin that is included in my multivitiman supplement for hair skin and nails. My nails have never been stronger and my hair seems to be growing really well to.

MBonn
November 10th, 2009, 09:54 PM
Can you get biotin anywhere you'd get vitamins or would I have to go to a health foods store or something?I'm very interested in having nails that aren't paper thin!

redneckprincess
November 11th, 2009, 06:53 AM
Can you get biotin anywhere you'd get vitamins or would I have to go to a health foods store or something?I'm very interested in having nails that aren't paper thin!
I think so..Meijer, wal-mart-, k-mart, -target or you can always order online

chloeishere
November 11th, 2009, 04:55 PM
Biotin made me break out horribly, and I did take vitamin C at the time, as well. And I tried different doses. Bottom line: excessive biotin is not for me.

But, my nails are still much stronger than they used to be, and I'm fine with my growth rate, so I don't mind! :D

I'm glad it's working so well for other people!

CestMadeleine
November 11th, 2009, 05:31 PM
I just started taking 1000 mcg of biotin as well as 1000 mcg of vitamin c on top of that so hopefully I won't get breakouts. I'm scared of that. We shall see how it is in a month or two :)

christi.adell
November 11th, 2009, 05:48 PM
I really want to start taking Biotin but I'm still bf-ing my daughter so I'm hesitant to take anything. But it sounds like it's pretty good.

CestMadeleine
November 11th, 2009, 08:06 PM
How many of you have noticed weight loss or an increase in metabolism at least? I was hoping taking this would help improve my metabolism.

Speckla
November 11th, 2009, 08:12 PM
I'm not exactly sure how much Vitamin C, I would wait for someone who actually used it for that reason to tell you haha. DE is (food grade) diatomaceous earth, and it's a very fine power that you can just mix into a drink. It's supposed to be very good for you.

Be careful because too much vitamin C will give you diarrhea.

23_seconds
November 11th, 2009, 08:14 PM
||||||||||

juliaxena
November 11th, 2009, 11:20 PM
Biotin hasn't helped my nails. I take about 1000 mcg per day through 5 different supplements. Vitamin products in my country have very low dosages so I have to combine products to ge even that much. But I guess the dosage isn't enough because I see absolutely no effect neither on my nails nor my hair.