PDA

View Full Version : Flaky scalp with cone-free/mild shampoos

Feli
October 31st, 2009, 03:54 AM
I don't know if anyone has some advice or has a similar problem, but I've been using natural cone-free shampoos with mild tensides for about the last 2 years and they give me a slightly flaky scalp. I've never had dandruff before and I'm 100% sure it's linked to natural shampoos because my flaky scalp went away when I went WO for 12 weeks and also went away when I tried using one of my old SLS shampoos again. I'm not keen on returning to "harsher" shampoos, but why do milder shampoos give me a flaky scalp? It just doesn't seem logical some how.

desuvsdeath
October 31st, 2009, 06:34 AM
I have a similar problem... to a much worse degree...
Natural cone-free shampoos cause me to have a very dry scalp with terrible dandruff... I problem I have never ever had ever in my life before attempting to make the switch.

To me it just seems strange that... a harsher shampoo doesn't have this effect... but neither does using NO shampoo... so what is it in this type that would cause the issue?

babybabycat
October 31st, 2009, 08:56 AM
I'll be watching this thread, because I am getting some dandruff for the first time in my life, and I think it is from my cone-free Phyto shampoo. I have been putting dabs of Camellia Oil on the flakey spots.

Pifkin
October 31st, 2009, 10:10 AM
I have the same problem, so I'll be watching this thread too.

skay
October 31st, 2009, 10:35 AM
I woke up with the same question and decided to do some PH strip testing. Will post results later.

My general thoughts:

1. In general, natural, food, living stuff have an acid or alkaline PH level. So this will probably throw the scalp's "PH" level off somehow.

Personal observations: Washing my hair with baking soda was the worst. It gave me flakes for days.

2. Man-made solutions may be geared to be a "neutral" level.

Personal thoughts: NOT going back to regular shampoo even though it's "neutral". Water is neutral, too - and drinkable. ;)

Scalp PH level

There are some posts in the archive about the scalp's acid mantle thing...and how delicate the PH balance is ...

Elfe
October 31st, 2009, 11:55 AM
I have the same problem, because I am allergic to the natural stuff.
Not for everyone such shampoos do work. So if you recognize that your scalp gets flaky, then maybe you just have to return to "normal" shampoos.

PhillyGirl1978@
October 31st, 2009, 12:03 PM
I kinda get that too. I had been strictly CO for a few years and just recently I did go back to occasional coney conditioner (Aussie Moist) and a weekly (sometimes less) shampoo ( I use a little Suave Natural Wild Cherry Blossom, with much more of the same scent conditioner mixed in my hand) and ever since I started CO I have had flakes. Now I have big curly hair so most people don't notice it, but I do. I would think with CO I wouldn't get dry scalp so I wonder what it is. Do you think we need to exfoliate our scalp more cause the conditioner isn't getting the dead skin cells off our scalp. Baking soda may be too harsh or drying for frequent use. I'm thinking like brown sugar mixed with conditioner may work.

skay
October 31st, 2009, 01:27 PM
Here's a quick experiment I did.

Focus: Find PH level of things I put on my scalp. Flakiness causes.

Resources: "Borrowed" shampoo :D from my various roommates.

Procedure: I mixed water and the substance together and dipped the yellow PH strip into the mixture for a few seconds.

Here is the picture.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y205/sgeo/hair/strips.jpg

Conclusion:

Use the data as you will.

Interesting the 2 bottled shampoos came out neutral but one is "natural" and the other is not. Guess the companies formulated them to be neutral which is cool.

The Aubrey Organics long ingredient list seemed to be mostly oils and some glycerin.

Will continue with natural as possible stuff for my hair. Will stop using baking soda & Dr. Bronner's soap. The high alkalline level doesn't seem to sit well with my scalp.

justme
October 31st, 2009, 01:50 PM
I'll also be watching this thread. Before I switched to more natural shampoos and conditioners (pre-LHC), I had a beautifully healthy, shiny scalp. Now I have an itchy, flaky, cruddy scalp. I would go back to what I was using before (if I remembered it), but I can't stand the smell of most common products! I have noticed that any soap or detergent that's coconut based doesn't work as well as sls. I can use coconut oil on my skin and hair no problem, so it's not an allergy or sensitivity, it's just that this kind of detergent doesn't work for me.

Feli
May 7th, 2010, 04:06 AM
Skay: have just re-discovered the results of your totally interesting alkalinity-experiment because I have still been struggling with a flaky scalp from cone-free, sulfate-free shampoos and have now also found that sulfates may be responsible for the huge sheds I have when using cone-free sulfate shampoos. What are you using to wash your scalp now?

And have the others who showed an interest in this thread had any new insights over the last few months?

I'm currently using a cone-free, sulfate-free baby shampoo, which seems good, but it's too soon to tell. My next plan is to try CO with and without cones.

Katze
May 7th, 2010, 04:29 AM
Honestly I think sulfates have a bad rap! As the proud owner of a sensitive, flaky, crusty scalp I have finally come around to using sulfates every second wash AT THE MOST.

After trying 'no 'poo' I was sulfate (and 'cone, but that is a different story) free for a couple of years total. Then one day I had nothing else to wash my hair but harsh sulfate shampoo, (was at in-laws) and when it dried I had the loveliest, softest, shiniest hair and nevertheless a happy scalp.

For my fine wavy hair and sensitive scalp, occasional sulfate AND 'cone use seems to be the best way to go. I alternate CWC or CW or WC washes with WO, and my hair and scalp seem to like this.

'cones are a totally different thing from sulfates. For my hair, they make it hang better and look smoother. I was 'cone free for a very long time but with all the new growth I have, I am not willing to have ugly hair for several years while I wait for it to catch up. I teach at the University and feel that, with increasing age, it is important to look as pulled together as I can. So no more stretching washes or greasy flaky scalp for me. :)

Feli
May 7th, 2010, 04:38 AM
Katze - I can relate! I too am back to using cones after 2 years cone-free and am loving the way my hair falls. Lots of people write that cones work well for people with damaged hair but I have completely virgin hair, hardly any taper, hardly any splits, and I never use any heated appliances and cones still work for me!

With regard to my scalp, however, I'm not having quite as much luck finding out what's best. Natural shampoos give me the flakies, sulfate shampoos appear to make me shed loads of hair while washing and airdrying. I wouldn't have anything against using sulfates if they made my hair happy, but that doesn't seem to be the case, although I am still in the process of experimenting with different ingredients to try and figure out exactly what ingredients have what effect.