PDA

View Full Version : Growing, but not getting longer!

halo_tightens
October 30th, 2009, 11:48 PM
This is seriously frustrating, lol. I know my hair has grown lately by the way it feels when I put it up. It's definitely, noticeably longer. BUT, when air-dried and worn down, the length hardly appears to have increased at all because of the increasing waviness!!

This is a messy pic for sure, but it shows what I mean:
http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=3760&pictureid=54013

My ends still sit just below shoulder, even though my hair is actually longer. Sheesh!!

Another thought: do I need to retype? I currently have 2a as my classifier. Does that still seem appropriate, or has my type changed? Opinons invited!

And really, it does look better than that most days, lol. It's just what I had handy to show what I'm referring to.

Thanks, all!

CindyLea1
October 31st, 2009, 12:03 AM
Could it be that you have hit a spot where you are damageing it?? I mean catching it under your shoulder straps on purses, and bags? Or rubbing it on a chair or seat back?

I noticed that I stalled a bit because I was catching my hairs under the strap of my purse, and then pulled it out. Once I removed my purse from my shoulder then moved my hair and put it back, I started actually growing.

On the other hand, most curlies I know, show almost no growth unless their hair is sopping wet and stretched out. The curls are famous for hiding length. The longer their hair gets the more it starts to spiral and that takes up the length.

Your hair is georgeous!!!!! I love it.

RancheroTheBee
October 31st, 2009, 12:15 AM
I feel your pain. :p I iron it about once a month just so I can see for myself that it's growing. Shrinkage is a the devil! I don't think your ends are breaking off, though; they look very healthy.

hela
October 31st, 2009, 12:59 AM
Hang in there! Just a little time and you'll notice the results of your care and patience. As Cindylea says, be now more careful than before to prevent breakage. Your hair is gorgeous, I can't wait so see it longer, it will be jaw-dropping.

pradabacon
October 31st, 2009, 01:27 AM
Dang, girl. You look like you might get some big 3a corkscrew curls when it's longer. I'm jealous! :D

halo_tightens
October 31st, 2009, 01:44 AM
Thanks for all the sweetness!! :o

I never in a million years would have thought to have waves or curls before LHC. Crazy stuff!! :D

Cherry_Sprinkle
October 31st, 2009, 01:48 AM
Mine is actually getting more curls and S-waves as it gets longer, so I feel your pain! Sometimes my hair curls up that I am still between MB and WL yet when my hair is wet or dried straight I am nearing hip length! That's just one of the pains of having whirls to your hair.. that's the love/hate thing most of us have with waves and curls :)

halo_tightens
October 31st, 2009, 01:58 AM
But, haha! I just stumbled across all the proof I needed, totally by accident! I found a pic on this computer that was taken exactly one year ago today:http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=3854&pictureid=54020

Those shortest blonde bits on top have really come a long way. I feel much better now, lol! :D

redneckprincess
October 31st, 2009, 06:55 AM
your hair like dosent really show "Length" until 6 months at a time, the curls and waves just keep getting bigger and curlier. when its wet or straightened it shows progress, I see you found a pic from a year ago and wow it has grown alot!! I too have to look at pictures from 6 months or more to really see a diffrence in the mirror...when I start thinking my hair is not showing length I look at pics from 6 months(or more) back and I am amazed!!..good luck and it IS growing ☺

JamieLeigh
October 31st, 2009, 12:10 PM
Shrinkage is definitely irritating, and it bugs me a bit too. But unfortunately it happens with wavies and curlies. That's why it feels SO good to us when we get new visible length. It's such a gratification!! :flower:

Margeaux
October 31st, 2009, 01:31 PM
Love it! And I definitely relate...

jesamyn
October 31st, 2009, 02:58 PM
I also feel your pain! My hair is getting wavier and curlier as it gets longer, and hovers around my shoulderblades when dry even though the longest bits are about 3.5" from my waist when wet and pulled straight. I'm starting to dread how much I'll have to grow to hit visual waist-length. ;)

Your hair is beautiful! I wish I had your thickness. The texture and color are lovely as well.

klcqtee
October 31st, 2009, 05:16 PM
I see you're much closer to a 2b/2c.

Lovely colour, by the way.

melikai
October 31st, 2009, 06:41 PM
I think 2c as well. I think a fair amount of curlies straighten to see if they're getting growth. Perhaps you could have a striped shirt that you take pictures against, and try taking pictures while it is wet? Not really accurate for number measurements, but it would at least let you know how much you are growing month-to-month.

halo_tightens
October 31st, 2009, 09:58 PM
All of you who've said such nice things-- you're making me blush. Thank you, sincerely. :o

I think I'm going to go ahead and change my classifier for now. It's just so funny, because before LHC I would have called myself maybe a 1b (if of course I had known about hairtyping lol). Now that I'm letting it, my hair has taken on a life of its own!! :D

Demetrue
October 31st, 2009, 10:09 PM
As a wavy, I find my hair looking wider as it grows instead of longer - it seems to grow OUT instead of down!

2peasinapod
November 1st, 2009, 12:00 PM
Same here. For the longest time, I thought my hair wasn't growing at all. I did notice it growing out a bit, but I just thought it was getting thicker; it never occurred to me to check for waves :doh:

OP, I can't see your pictures yet, but I'm sure your hair is very nice. Is that you in your avatar? If so, I love your color!

Edit: I just got picture viewing privileges, and I must say, your hair is amazing ! I love the color even more, and I don't think the waves look "messy". Hang in there - I'm sure it will look even better as it finally gets longer!