PDA

View Full Version : Washing hair before hennaing

Pifkin
October 30th, 2009, 09:01 PM
What's the consensus of washing hair before hennaing? I've read that it's recommended, and I've read that it doesn't really matter unless there's buildup on the hair.

I'm planning on doing my hair tonight (maybe, depends on how tired I am when the dye releases), but my hair isn't dirty, and I don't want to wash it if I don't absolutely have to. I don't use any silicone products, all I've had in my hair since my last wash (two days ago) is a little coconut oil. What should I do?

Sorry if this is a repeat thread. I did a search, but didn't find anything.

halo_tightens
October 30th, 2009, 09:09 PM
From my own experience, it doesn't matter too much either way. I usually wash my hair before hennaing, so I can apply the henna while the hair is still a little damp. Today, though, I applied some henna (which is still on my head now!) without washing first, as I just washed either yesterday or the day before and my hair really isn't dirty. I just misted it with water first to get it damp.

Anyway, when I've done it in the past, I never saw any difference between hennaing on freshly washed hair vs. unwashed. I would agree with you that it's probably best not to have any major buildup or anything, but I don't think your present case is anything to worry about.

Gulbahar
October 31st, 2009, 04:33 AM
I never wash before and I always apply on dry hair.

girloctopus
October 31st, 2009, 07:41 AM
I like to wash with Lush's Simple Green shampoo before I henna and apply to damp hair. I find it easier to apply to damp hair rather than dry. I don't think you need to wash immediately before, but maybe do a rinse to dampen it before application?

jocosema
October 31st, 2009, 08:02 AM
I don't was usually wash. Just go right ahead on dirty hair as long as I don't have any product in it. I find it easier to part dry hair otherwise I get bad tangles. I just make the mud a little thinner so it spreads more easily.

hmmm
October 31st, 2009, 08:49 AM
I'm so lazy that I put a bit of Shikakai and/or Ritha powder in my henna mix if my hair feels like it needs a wash. And lo! Clean hair. :D

Heidi_234
October 31st, 2009, 11:51 AM
I did it either way and I don't think I saw any difference. I think it really plays no role if you done use coating products (like cones and such). Even oiled hair is fine, henna tends to suck all that oil out, it's pretty cleansing on it's own in that aspect.

Speckla
October 31st, 2009, 11:54 AM
I always use a clarifying shampoo first. Damp hair makes it easier to apply too.

klcqtee
October 31st, 2009, 06:01 PM
I read somewhere that it was advised to not have freshly washed hair.

I figured that was advised so that some of the harsh chemicals in some shampoos won't interact/interfere with the henna.

maryann
October 31st, 2009, 06:10 PM
I've only recently started hennaing, and I don't like following directions. I usually just read them to get ideas and do my own thing, so if it turns a funny color nobody but myself is to blame, LOL! However, if you do it my way that is your choice, and then you'll have to take responsibility for your own outcome also ;-)

In any event, I shampoo and condition daily because I have fairly oily hair and live in sweaty south Florida. When I henna it goes on a few hours before I shampoo, and after I get it rinsed thoroughly I shampoo and condition as usual.

Hope that helps, and happy hennaing!

vampodrama
November 1st, 2009, 09:39 AM
I wash when my hair is really greasy, but if it's been washed one or two days before hennaing then I don't wash it on purpose any more. Doesn't make a difference, really. I just don't want to put henna on greasy hair for some reason.

Pifkin
November 1st, 2009, 09:50 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone. :)

getoffmyskittle
November 1st, 2009, 10:24 AM
I actually like to apply henna over coconut oiled hair. It circumvents the initial henna crunchiness.

twolunarspring
November 1st, 2009, 11:01 AM
I am WO at the moment, and as I type sitting here with a headful of henna mud :)
This is my second application since being WO - having been a henna-head for *counts on fingers* eight years - and I can't say I noticed any difference in uptake last time :shrug:

Marions
November 1st, 2009, 01:15 PM
I didn't see any difference so I don't wash my hair before hennaing anymore. My hair is dry and I don't use any styling products, I even apply a lot of oil before applying henna.

hennaphile
November 1st, 2009, 10:50 PM
So so long as your conditioner doesn't have cones or coating products, using it before applying shouldn't be an issue? :pray:

I get tanlges BAD during application on shampooed only hair.

RocketDog
November 2nd, 2009, 12:53 AM
I washed with clarifying shampoo before applying henna tonight, just in case the jojoba oil in my hair would inhibit uptake - since it was my first time and I have a relatively light starting color I wanted to make sure the uptake was as even as possible.

Nat242
November 2nd, 2009, 03:12 AM
I clarify using baking soda before henna'ing, but this is because my hair is particularly stubborn, and in order for the henna to take well I need to open up the hair shaft beforehand.

Isilme
November 2nd, 2009, 04:18 AM
I have hennaed my hair when it was oily and dirty and wouldn't be caught dead wearing it down, and I have also hennaed on hair that had been washed with coney shampoo AND conditioner. I think I may have hennaed on hair sprayed hair too. Never saw a difference. Dry or damp doesn't matter, just that damp hennaed hair tends to drip drop during the entire henna session.

PhillyGirl1978@
November 5th, 2009, 05:02 AM
Henna kind of leaves my hair tangly and dry before I put conditioner in, and I know that shampooing leaves my hair tangly until I put conditioner in, so I'd be afraid of the breakage if I washed and then hennaed. My hair tangles up right after I detangle it so I'd worry that I'd never get the tangles out if I did that. I will be using Rainbow soon, and I have been using some coney conditioner so I think I may wash the day before and then condtion real good to get the tangles out. The next day when I henna I may just co-wash with Suave before I henna.

Narly
November 5th, 2009, 05:39 AM
I don't think it matters, if you're not using cones.

rach
November 5th, 2009, 06:30 AM
i've always done it on dry hair. i can keep track of where i put the henna and hennaed drips go down my neck which i'm rather paranoid about :confused: if my hair is damp underneath.

HerbalKarma
November 5th, 2009, 06:55 AM
Hi, you do not need to wash your hair before applying Henna. Henna itself will have a cleansing action on the hair anyway. You can lightly shampoo using a mild product after the rinsing stage & don't forget to condition as your hair needs both type of conditioner.