PDA

View Full Version : Do CO'ers do heavy oilings?

whiteisle
October 30th, 2009, 06:35 PM
I occasionally would do an overnight heavy oiling with olive or coconut oil when I was regularly using shampoos or poo bars but I've recently started CO again and was wondering if those who CO find it as necessary to do them on this routine.

RoseRedDead
October 30th, 2009, 06:50 PM
As necessary?

Maybe not, but I do them anyway.

(Edit: I heavily oil my hair the night before washday. CO gets out all of the oil with no problem.)

Longlocks3
October 30th, 2009, 06:52 PM
I do heavy oiling occasionally but I usually do it on really really dirty hair and it's one of the few times I'll use a shampoo. It doesn't have to be a harsh shampoo though! I try to use SLS/ALS free shampoo, like the shikai brand I recently posted a review for.

I'm not 100% CO all the time, I use shampoo usually once a week.

Elphie
October 30th, 2009, 06:53 PM
I do them because I like them and I like how they make my hair feel, so I guess that would mean they are necessary. I'm not exclusively CO, but the majority of the time, that's what I'm doing.

Carolyn
October 30th, 2009, 06:54 PM
I do. I love what CO does for my hair. I've done it for several years and wouldn't dream of stopping. I've always oiled occasionally. Lately I've gone to much more frequent heavy oilings. Right now I'm using walnut oil. For no other reason that to finish off the bottle. CO gets out the oil beautifully. The heavy oilings are making my hair softer and silkier. CO is wonderful but heavy oiling adds what my hair seems to need. I've always said that my hair eats conditoner and it can't get enough. Now it's slurping up the oil too.

salamander
October 30th, 2009, 07:03 PM
I certainly do. CO cleans my hair out without drying it out like crazy, but it doesn't do enough to overcome all the drying out my hair does. The occasional heavy oiling is indispensable for me!

Amara
October 30th, 2009, 07:13 PM
I almost always do CO on the length at least, and I do heavy oilings. They add a bit of extra heavy duty moisture.

whiteisle
October 30th, 2009, 07:22 PM
Thanks for the replies! My hair seems to have a drinking problem so I'll probably stick with the heavy oilings. ;)

ravenreed
October 31st, 2009, 08:51 AM
I do a heavy oiling about once a week. I have been using a castor oil and coconut oil mix and my hair loves it. I have also been doing a scalp massage with it at the same time, and I am noticing a lot of inch and a half long new growth suddenly. The only thing I have changed in the last two months or so is the castor oil scalp massage.

Sissy
October 31st, 2009, 10:53 AM
I do heavy overnight oilings (coconut & castor oil, sweet almond & shea butter, or Ojon) and I am a CO washer most of the time. When I do the heavy overnight oilings I just use some sulfate free shampoo to rinse it out. Sometimes I use Suave shampoo with sulfates. Also, Suave and VO5 clarifying conditioners work a treat to get the oilings out.

Does anyone else experience major hair loss when rinse out heave oiling treatments? I always end up with such a wad of hair in the shower drain. It makes me wonder if it's good for me or not :)

JamieLeigh
October 31st, 2009, 11:46 AM
I still do them occasionally. My hair is on the fine side of medium, and sometimes it needs a good deep condition. Especially on my ends, as they can tend to feel very crunchy and dry in the wintertime.