PDA

View Full Version : OMG! I have more hair than I thought!

MermaidGirl
April 22nd, 2008, 12:56 AM
I am such a dweeb! For the longest time I was convinced I was a 1a/F/i, but decided to just go ahead and do the actual hair typing and have discovered that I'm actually a 1a/1b, F, ii!!!

When my hair is wet, it sometimes dries with a slight bit of wave and the shorter nape pieces curl up into rings. A hair stylist I had a long time ago told me that no, my hair wasn't actually stick straight, it just looked that way, but I thought she was just trying to be nice!

The biggest surprise is the thickness - I was certain I was a i, but after containing all of my hair in a ponytail on the very top of my head and measuring, I was very surprised to find out that it is a bit over 3-1/2 inches around! And I've been sick the last three days and haven't washed my hair, so its a bit smashed down. Now, I'm sure that a ponytail at the nape of my neck would not be that thick as I have some breakage along my length, but it is still well within the ii category. My currently stylist has always said that I have fine hair, but a lot of it ... again, I just thought she was trying to be nice.

Jeez, if I could remedy the breakage and a bit of loss on my sides, I might actually make it into the iii category! :o

aisling
April 22nd, 2008, 01:02 AM
That's nice and shows it's really worth measuring!

If your hair dries with a slightly visible waviness, you're not a 1A/1B either, 1B is not a wavy hairtype at all, it just has a body wave. Your hair sounds a little more wavy than that.

1b - straight but with a slight body wave, just enough to add some volume, doesn't look wavy
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=5

Elyce
April 22nd, 2008, 08:43 AM
MermaidGirl, I have the same experience. Have always considered my hair very thin, but have been told by different hairstylists over the years that my hair is fine but I have a lot of it. Didn't really know what that meant, other than that it takes a long time to dry!

So I was totally surprised to measure it when I checked out the typing system here, and found it's almost 4 inches around the pony, wow, not what I expected.

One more way I have come to appreciate my hair in a new way since finding LHC. A cheer for us fine-but-lots-of-it folks!

mommy2one05
April 22nd, 2008, 08:59 AM
that's great
it's always nice to find out we have more hair than we thought

Elyce
April 22nd, 2008, 09:12 AM
Welcome, mommy2two07!

MermaidGirl
April 22nd, 2008, 03:27 PM
Thank you for your replies, ladies, I really appreciate it! :)

Aisling, I guess I selected the 1B because it seemed to describe my hair pretty well, and if I run a comb through my wet hair, it will dry straight with no visible wave. Back when I would swim in the pool or the ocean, if I didn't touch it with a comb, it would dry with a visible wave, but I haven't done that in a while. Next time I wash and have time, I will let it dry naturally and see what happens.

Elyce, wow, great head of hair you have! I wish I had that length, and the color is fab! It looks like my best friend's hair, but hers is all extensions - so I can say I know someone who paid to get her hair to look like yours!

And yes, welcome to Mommy2two07!

loves2spin
April 22nd, 2008, 03:58 PM
I measured my circumference for the first time today. Fortunately, I had "guessed" right about it being medium. AND I was able to add an inch to the length on my profile. Yes! I wonder how many inches until waist length. It's a bit hard to measure on myself. Your hair is absolutely gorgeous! :)

Shypii90
April 22nd, 2008, 05:12 PM
Hey

I'm happy you're happy, Mermaidgirl :P
Now what's this about measuring to see how thick your hair is?

It depends on how many inches circumference the ponytail is? And what measurements would classify as what?
Quite an interesting thread, this
haha

MermaidGirl
April 22nd, 2008, 05:54 PM
Hello Shypii90! Go here: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=5 - its an article on hair typing and tells you everything you need to know about how to classify your hair texture and volume. Have fun!

Kirin
April 22nd, 2008, 06:01 PM
I finally did the hairtyping, again boy was I wrong LOL!!!

I thought i was a 1a/F/i

Newp, I am a 1C/M/i-ii

AmandaPanda
April 22nd, 2008, 06:10 PM
If your hair dries with a slightly visible waviness, you're not a 1A/1B either, 1B is not a wavy hairtype at all, it just has a body wave. Your hair sounds a little more wavy than that.

I'd have to agree. That's what makes me a 1c (the few waves at the ends of my hair, which are at times more pronounced than my current siggie pic) :)