PDA

View Full Version : Grey Hair Prevention with Supplements?

pinchbeck
October 29th, 2009, 06:17 PM
I read the following link which suggests using blackstrap molasses and brewer's yeast helps prevents hair from loosing its precious colour, thus turning grey.:(http://www.earthclinic.com/CURES/hair_gray2.html

Is this a pipe dream or is it possible to change the body's chemistry to change what it is genetically programmed to do?

LawyerGirl
October 29th, 2009, 06:25 PM
Interesting. On the website that you linked someone mentions a scalp massage oil mix of coconut, limejuice, and curry?

pinchbeck
October 29th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Interesting. On the website that you linked someone mentions a scalp massage oil mix of coconut, limejuice, and curry?
I skipped over that part!:D

clairenewcastle
October 29th, 2009, 06:43 PM
As someone who has embraced my silver hairs happily, I sigh when I read yet another of these articles. I realise that a lot of women will go to any lengths to hide the slightest sign of grey amongst their hair but to me silver hairs are natural and, in my case, healthy. I've had my fill of damaged, dyed hair.
As for whether I think it works? I very much doubt it, but I suspect that a lot of people will have stocked up on the molasses and brewer's yeast already......

luluj
October 29th, 2009, 06:52 PM
NOPE, I Don't Believe It For A Minute! I agree with clairenewcastle.... a lot of people have probably stocked up on molasses and brewer's yeast already.

berr
October 29th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Some of the recipes seem a little scary.... (I read further down the page)

pradabacon
October 29th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Is there anything I can take to give me more precious silvers? I want my hair to turn gray faster! :D

pinchbeck
October 29th, 2009, 07:04 PM
As someone who has embraced my silver hairs happily, I sigh when I read yet another of these articles. I realise that a lot of women will go to any lengths to hide the slightest sign of grey amongst their hair but to me silver hairs are natural and, in my case, healthy. I've had my fill of damaged, dyed hair.
As for whether I think it works? I very much doubt it, but I suspect that a lot of people will have stocked up on the molasses and brewer's yeast already......
I think it is great that you embrace your greys! I have the beginnings of grey hair and prefer not to ever colour my hair. Looking for a solution to prevent my whole head from changing would be nice since I prefer the colour I have now.

I have seen women who are lovely with grey hair, but they usually have more salt than pepper. I may not grey that way!

luluj
October 29th, 2009, 07:05 PM
Is there anything I can take to give me more precious silvers? I want my hair to turn gray faster! :D

How about some TOBASCO SAUCE???:hifive::lol::lol::lol:

Hay22
October 29th, 2009, 08:12 PM
I wouldn't do the brewers yeast, as anything involving the word "yeast" sends me running the other direction, but I've heard multiple times that a deficiency in copper is linked to gray hair. But... I don't know.

teela1978
October 29th, 2009, 09:54 PM

Start a PhD. That worked wonders for me.

ETA: honestly, if I thought a scalp massage of molasses and tobasco would slow down my progression to gray I'd do it in a heartbeat. 31 is a bit young for gray streaks imho.

pradabacon
October 29th, 2009, 10:03 PM
^^^LOL *adds PhD to Christmas list*

31 is a bit young for gray streaks imho.

Thank goodness I'm 32! http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll23/hootietoot/nuts.gif

teela1978
October 29th, 2009, 10:22 PM
^^^LOL *adds PhD to Christmas list*

Thank goodness I'm 32! http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll23/hootietoot/nuts.gif

lol. different strokes for different folks :) I'll be parting my hair in the least-gray spot for a very long time I think... at least until it goes away!!!

spidermom
October 29th, 2009, 10:25 PM
I read that LOreal believes they will have a pill to reverse graying within the next 10 years. I don't think I'd want it, though. I'm getting white and silvery blonde. I like it a lot.

pradabacon
October 29th, 2009, 10:54 PM
Ooooh, love the new siggy pic, Spidermom. :flowers:

I wouldn't want the pill or the home remedy or whatever either, but it would be nice to have the option for those who do want it.

Elenna
October 30th, 2009, 03:04 AM
I'm not sure that there is really any kind of pill or supplement that restores your color.

But having a healthy diet does help the gray or white hair come in soft and shiny.

ChloeDharma
October 30th, 2009, 05:11 AM
I think it depends, if your hair is grey due to an inadequate supply of B vitamins such as para-aminobenzoicacid (PABA) then restoring colour is a good thing because it's a sign that something is wrong. If your hair has turned grey naturally and your diet is adequate then i think it's a shame to feel the need to conceal it.
Brewers yeast and molasses are very nutrient dense anyway so not a bad idea to take for general health whether you are grey or not.

pinchbeck
October 30th, 2009, 10:56 AM
I think it depends, if your hair is grey due to an inadequate supply of B vitamins such as para-aminobenzoicacid (PABA) then restoring colour is a good thing because it's a sign that something is wrong. If your hair has turned grey naturally and your diet is adequate then i think it's a shame to feel the need to conceal it.
Brewers yeast and molasses are very nutrient dense anyway so not a bad idea to take for general health whether you are grey or not.

I don't want to conceal grey hair...I just don't want to go totally grey. My current colour suits me best! Greys are coming in at my temples and my hairline and the colour does not suit my already pasty complexion. :o

berr
October 30th, 2009, 11:19 AM

I'll loan you my life. That should scare the color out.

Topaz
October 30th, 2009, 12:04 PM
Many years ago, in a job far far away, an older lady I worked with swore by Pantothenic Acid tablets. She said her grey hair had started coming in brown again after she started taking them. Not ALL of her hair was coming in brown, but individual strands that I think she noticed more than I did. But she had very very short "man styled" hair, and after a few months those individual browns did become a little more evident. Whether it was from the pills or not, I can't say. :confused:

skay
October 30th, 2009, 01:09 PM
Anecdotes in regards to possible nutrition deficiency:

I've heard of those who've taken blackstrap molasses and had some gray hair reversed. Perhaps they were indeed missing something in their body.

Personally, I tried it for a week maybe (as it's very cheap!) but stopped drinking it as I didn't like the taste at all.

Homemade kombucha tea: I've heard this has worked for some people. Perhaps its the B vitamins and what-have-you in it. My roommates said his Mom's gray hair started getting black/dark patches of hair, but stopped taking it because her original hair color wasn't black and didn't like the color.

Personally: I've only drunk store-bought kombucha tea (too lazy to make the homemade one) and it didn't seem to do anything to my hair color. I liked the taste though. :)

Extreme cases: I've heard of people who had cancer, their hair turned gray, they recovered from the cancer, and the gray went away/mostly went away. "Moral" of the story: the body is a mystery sometimes.In any case:

If you're body's lacking in something, then yes, I think it's a good idea to see what could be done about that and see what happens. And see what effect that has on your hair.

To the silver-haired & proud ladies: More power to you! :)

Sigzephyr
October 30th, 2009, 03:28 PM
Here's something else you could try:
http://www.pepperie.com/default.asp

drquartz1970
October 30th, 2009, 04:17 PM
I have a lot of greying hair around the temples and above the ears. I'm 39 and actually have less grey hair as my father and grandfather did at the same age.

Growing out my hair has now actually covered up most of the grey due to the top still being brown and covering up the grey underneath which doesn't bother me at all. My own father was almost completely grey at 36 and grandfather had snow white hair by the time he was 45. Some families get grey hair earlier so it's just a reinforcement that you are indeed your mother/fathers child.

It's good if the O'leal company can provide a pill for those members here who are bothered by having grey hair. Women are pressurised more by society to look younger longer due to being conditioned by the commercial beauty industry which preys on the insecurities of consumers.

I would prefer to retain my original hair colour but accept that it's just natural to go grey as I get older. Never had any desire to go touch hair dye and healthy silver hair is a better one for me then unhealthy dyed hair.

I think grey hair can soften a persons features and can really suit some people and give a regal distinguished silver fox look.

Eating a healthy diet with all the necessary vitamins will probably help prevent premature grey hair in some people. But if it's your time to go grey via mother natures gene pool then it's just another natural milestone.

drquartz1970
October 30th, 2009, 04:22 PM
I forgot to add this little story I heard about some time ago.

Someone used their mind to visualise little elves painting their grey hair brown over many months and supposedly through the power of creative visualisation the grey was reversed!

Might be worth trying!

MemSahib
October 30th, 2009, 04:24 PM
If I were 16 I might (MIGHT) be interested in not greying. But at 59? — Nah! I've earned 'em.

luluj
October 30th, 2009, 05:00 PM
QUOTE=MemSahib;835926]If I were 16 I might (MIGHT) be interested in not greying. But at 59? — Nah! I've earned 'em.[/QUOTE]

SO HAVE I!! :happydance::joy::cheer:

ChloeDharma
October 30th, 2009, 05:15 PM
I don't want to conceal grey hair...I just don't want to go totally grey. My current colour suits me best! Greys are coming in at my temples and my hairline and the colour does not suit my already pasty complexion. :o

Well i'm sure it looks lovely, grey or the colour you have now. I'm not saying people with grey shouldn't colour as such, i just mean that it's sad when people feel they have to colour. But lets be realistic, we all have certain things that we feel the need to do, or, most of us anyway......the main thing is to feel happy and confident in your own skin. :)