PDA

View Full Version : tame the mane

TheHippieChick
April 21st, 2008, 11:14 PM
It's just to kinky...I need it to relax. Any ideas will be helpful! Thanx in advance!

***OK-I realize after a minute that was not the best wording***Was going to change it, but then I thought I would give my girls something to Raz me about :D

Nat242
April 21st, 2008, 11:16 PM
I would suggest a hot bath, relaxing massage, meditation, and yoga.

Maybe that will help your hair relax? :p

-- Natalie

Gaelic Girl
April 22nd, 2008, 12:09 AM
I would suggest a hot bath, relaxing massage, meditation, and yoga.

Maybe that will help your hair relax? :p

-- Natalie

Hysterical!!! :rollin:

It's just to kinky...I need it to relax. Any ideas will be helpful! Thanx in advance!

Too easy...I need a challenge. :p

What I do each morning is spritz with a mixture of water and a light, no cone (Suave Naturals) conditioner and then sprinkle my favourite EO...stays in the hair all day and more! If it's a humid day, I also I put a squeeze of the same conditioner straight onto my hair later on....it tames it, eliminates frizz, smells wonderful, and is so good for curls!!!

Last week I made up the homemade gel that someone (sorry..forget who) posted here. 1/2 -1 teaspoon of natural powdered gelatin, mixed with 1 cup of warm water, then placed in the fridge till it gels. It doesn't make the hair nearly as 'crispy' as commercial gels, has no drying alchohol, and is easily removed with a spritz of water. I personally have never liked gel, but am going to give this a good try this summer as our humidity makes my hair into an afro. :luke:

One of the most important things I've done for my hair is switch from a plastic pick comb and/or brush to a wide toothed horn comb. It's absolutely astounding how much it frizz it gets rid of!!! I keep the large one on me, and also have a smaller scritching comb that I comb the top of my head with midday to smooth out short curlies. Remarkable!!! And holy cow, after a year of this (and S&D) I have to really search for splits anywhere!

Good luck. :)

Diamondbell
April 22nd, 2008, 04:26 AM
You could try fresh coconut milk +lime juice kept in the fridge overnight and applied the next day. Keep for 3 hours and then wash hair.

Shanarana
April 22nd, 2008, 04:43 AM
My hair gets like that way to often. I find that smoothing over some coconut oil really helps.

TheHippieChick
April 22nd, 2008, 06:38 AM
will try it-all of it! thanx

TheHippieChick
April 22nd, 2008, 09:14 PM
GG where can I find a good wide toothed comb? I was looking at mine today and realize its also pretty narrow toothed :D

Gaelic Girl
April 22nd, 2008, 09:32 PM
GG where can I find a good wide toothed comb? I was looking at mine today and realize its also pretty narrow toothed :D

I actually got it as a lovely added gift in a swap with BBgrrl. I believe she got it from Heavenly Harvest. It is about 6" long, has a handle, and there is about 1/2" space beteen each tooth. It's awesome in that it tames the curls without wrecking them or bushing them out. As mentioned, the little scritcher run over the top of the head calms little fly aways.

This might be a good one to start with:
http://heavenlyharvestinc.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/119

Mine is more like this one, but light in colour and with wider spaces:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/NEW-STRONG-WIDE-TEETH-Ox-Horn-Comb-40-OFF-S-H-FEE_W0QQitemZ250237825791QQihZ015QQcategoryZ110628 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I cannot stress enough what a tremendous difference using a horn comb has made! :):)

karenpetal
April 22nd, 2008, 09:36 PM
A hot-oil hair massage - nothing like it for me -

Gaelic Girl
April 23rd, 2008, 12:05 AM
*Bump* Added comb links to earlier post.

Riot Crrl
April 23rd, 2008, 12:15 AM
If you have a Sally's there are great wide tooth combs there for like $1.49.

TheHippieChick
April 23rd, 2008, 10:01 AM
I Just bought this comb-I can't wait...so pretty! Thanks GG!
http://cgi.ebay.com/Wide-Tooth-Horn-Comb_W0QQitemZ330230435278QQihZ014QQcategoryZ11855 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Periwinkle
April 23rd, 2008, 10:10 AM
I have this problem too, and I'd be willing to have a go at using a horn come were it not for the fact that I'm a very strict vegetarian edging vegan and I would not want to use something made of horn. Are there any other materials that are as good/almost as good?

nienna42
April 23rd, 2008, 10:15 AM
The thing that helps my hair relax the most is to let it dry in a braid or bun.

Being as your at LHC, I'm guessing you already to that. ;) And it sounds like your hair is curlier than mine, so it might not be that much of a help. But I thought it wouldn't hurt to throw the suggestion out there anyway. :)

birdiefu
April 23rd, 2008, 11:13 AM
I have this problem too, and I'd be willing to have a go at using a horn come were it not for the fact that I'm a very strict vegetarian edging vegan and I would not want to use something made of horn. Are there any other materials that are as good/almost as good?

I've heard good things about the bone (or bohn, acutally a plastic/resin not real bone) combs. Hairsense (http://hairsense.com/bonecombs.htm) has a few. Wooden combs can also be great for hair if they are well-cut and polished.

Euphony
April 23rd, 2008, 11:19 AM
I've heard good things about the bone (or bohn, acutally a plastic/resin not real bone) combs. Hairsense (http://hairsense.com/bonecombs.htm) has a few. Wooden combs can also be great for hair if they are well-cut and polished.
I can't bring myself to use real horn or real bone. I have two Hairsense combs and I adore them - it's almost like the get the tangle out before they get there. They simply glide through my hair.

TheHippieChick
April 23rd, 2008, 12:03 PM
I really did not like the thought of buying it either...it occurred to me afterwards...dangit. Wood ones work well too...then this occurred to me...why did I not just find a woodworker to make me one?! Der der der...

TheHippieChick
April 23rd, 2008, 12:03 PM
Thanks for the idea about the braid...so simple! I will do it!

lora410
April 23rd, 2008, 12:05 PM
What about a heavy oiling once a week?or a co and oil mixes with distilled water for daily moisture?My dd's hair is curly and responds to that really well.

spidermom
April 23rd, 2008, 12:19 PM
When my hair turns into a great big fluff cloud, I add a little oil and gel and comb very smooth, then bun or braid rather loosely, as a tight braid will give me kinked waves when I take it out. When I take a braid out, I don't comb it because that poufs it too much. I can comb bun waves, though.

FB
April 23rd, 2008, 01:09 PM
OK my hair also gets frizzy and then I add coconut oil to it and then in an hour or tow it is dry and brittle. I use deep oil treatments in the shower at least once a week. I also use a leave-in conditionor. I feel like there is no help for my hair. It is both frizzy and dry. Any suggestions??? Could living in West Texas be a big factor in my hair situtation???

Ursula
April 23rd, 2008, 01:26 PM
Recently, I've had good luck with Shell's water-scrunching method when the length of my hair gets dry and frizzy between washes. I've also used a homemade mister mix based on Kimberlilly's frizz spray - water with clear aloe gel and broccoli seed oil added.

It might help a bit for you to get relavent advice if you put your hair type in your personal information - the same words, like "frizz" can mean different problems, depending on hair type.

TheHippieChick
April 23rd, 2008, 02:51 PM
I don't have a clue to what my hair type is.
Xtra kinky curls...looks liek a spiral perm but is not

Euphony
April 23rd, 2008, 04:11 PM
I really did not like the thought of buying it either...it occurred to me afterwards...dangit. Wood ones work well too...then this occurred to me...why did I not just find a woodworker to make me one?! Der der der...
I have two wood combs and while they are nice and were far nicer than the plastic ones I had been using I far prefer my bohn comb. I thought I was in heaven with my wood combs since they were so much better, but I kept reading about horn and bone and bohn so I decided to get a bohn one - I don't think I'll ever be buying another type of comb again.

I don't have a clue to what my hair type is.

Xtra kinky curls...looks liek a spiral perm but is not

From the pictures I've seen of your hair I'd have to gander a guess at 3a to the more likely 3b.

Have you tried finger combing? Even with my 2a/2b/2c hair I get some major poofies going on. Do you comb while your hair is damp? I comb when my hair is sopping wet, only squeeze dried, before the towel hits it, then I plop for about 30 minutes and take the towel/t-shirt off my hair and let it dry from there. I don't touch my hair with a comb again until it is completely dry - if I do it's BING - POOOOOOOF!

The poof is because I disrupt the wave pattern so all my hairs are fighting/lying against each other, a smidge of coconut oil helps with that. I could see with your beautiful spirals that being even more of an issue.

spidermom
April 23rd, 2008, 04:37 PM
Curly hair wants moisture so much. My advice: try oil for at least two weeks; give your hair a chance to absorb a lot. Lately I've been using perhaps 1 teaspoon of olive oil distributed through the length with fingers and a comb, then braided the night before wash. I wash CWC with diluted shampoo making no special effort to make sure all the oil comes out. Unless I dilute the shampoo too much, enough comes out that my hair looks and feels clean but has the suppleness and shine of having been oiled and retains curl better as well. It's win:win.

I've also oiled very lightly immediately after a wash while my hair was still damp, and the results were good, but my hair seemed to attract a lot of dust and fabric fibers. It may anyway; I'm not sure yet.

TheHippieChick
April 24th, 2008, 09:38 AM
oooooooh...good ideas! I mixed my beloved BPAL into my CO mixturte last night...I smell so good :D

missy60
April 24th, 2008, 10:11 AM
Ok now Im convinced I have to have a new comb. I love my really cheap comb I got at Sally's. I have been thinking about it for a while but I just havent been convinced of the benefits. Keep us posted when your new comb comes in.

lookingglass
April 24th, 2008, 03:22 PM
I can only finger comb when my hair is full of conditioner. If I am wearing it down, I only do it on the day I CO. That is the only time my hair won't poof and will hold the curl. Leave in is a must!

Gaelic Girl
April 26th, 2008, 01:19 AM
I Just bought this comb-I can't wait...so pretty! Thanks GG!
http://cgi.ebay.com/Wide-Tooth-Horn-Comb_W0QQitemZ330230435278QQihZ014QQcategoryZ11855 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Oh good! I hope it works!

I second the notion that heavy oilings once or twice a week make a huge difference.

And...I think you have the same hair I do. :D 'cept it's 'little beast'...given time....we'll duel! En guard! :p