PDA

View Full Version : I am getting a Trim at a Barber Shop today..any advice please? (with pics)

pilateschick7
October 29th, 2009, 09:59 AM
I found a barber shop willing to trim my hair. However, I would love any advice regarding a good plan to give be a good foundation for gaining length long term.

I have learned a ton since joining in January.
I wear my hair up 95% of the time, oil the ends, SMT, silk pillow case and braid at night. Wash with no sulfate shampoo every other day. Brush gently with a Tangle Teezer only when dry. Currently shedding rather heavily.

From reading many other threads the best plan I have come up with yet are
A.) 1/4 inch trim off the ends, ignoring layers. I could S&D those later
or
B.) Loose 2 Inches of length, getting rid of most of the layers?
or
C.) Should I have him blunt cut at the level of the shortest layer?

Reason for the obsession:
I have noticed splits and increased tangling at my ends. I also have layers, longest at Arm pit length now. I would prefer a blunt hemline because my braid tassel is all funky because of the layers.
As long as I can still make a bun I will be happy. I would love to be at waist by Christmas but if it is a stringy mess it will drive me nuts.
These pics less than a month old no product air dryed and not combed. My shrinkage is pretty minimal.

http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr169/pilateschick7/DSCN0039.jpg

http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr169/pilateschick7/DSCN0064.jpg

Thanks so much for any help:)

Maddy25
October 29th, 2009, 10:00 AM
I dont really have advice as my hair is not long yet, but I wanted to say your curls are so beautiful!

MAO
October 29th, 2009, 10:02 AM
WOW beautiful hair! It looks just fine the way it is :)

pinchbeck
October 29th, 2009, 10:05 AM
The layers need to be cleaned up. You can take off more on the length so the layers catch up. I would take 1/4" off of the layers and 1/2" of off the length. But...if your length has splits than trim up 1". Your hair looks to be thinning where the shorter pieces are.

Make sure that the hairdresser does not re-do or re-shape your layers. Your goal is to have them trimmed to ensure healthy growth. He/she will have to figure out how your layers were cut to avoid cutting into pieces that don't need to be cut (if that makes sense).

Your hair routine sounds great. Just be sure to get trims a couple time per year to avoid thinning and damage of your layers and length.

Sissy
October 29th, 2009, 10:15 AM
I think your hair looks healthy. I would choose,
A.) 1/4 inch trim off the ends, ignoring layers. I could S&D those later

But, that is because I am always trying so hard for length and my hemline suffers for it LOL. I don't have any experience with layers so I might be missing something about why someone would want to trim them.

spiderfang
October 29th, 2009, 10:16 AM
I just like to say that your hair in those pics looks absolutely gorgeous!

pilateschick7
October 29th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Thank you so much for all the advice! I have been reading old posts and fretting for ages now.

My DH thinks I am truly hair obsessed:)

mahoganyhorizon
October 29th, 2009, 10:39 AM
don't laugh at me for asking this question, please...I have a definite curl pattern to my hair, so I have to straighten my hair with heat, (at least blow dry) before I would let anyone near it with scissors. Otherwise the results would be so UNEVEN! How does this work with people with big curls, as up above? Do they Just pull the hair taut (to straighten) and lop each curl, or what? And please don't laugh, just a question.

Your hair looks gorgeous. I'd take a friend with me to make sure he doesn't take off too much.

shell78
October 29th, 2009, 10:51 AM
Hey! My hair looks a lot like yours and I just got a trim this week. My previous trim was in March and I was starting to see some serious splits in my layers plus the whole velcro ends and tangles, especially in the front. My shortest layers are somewhere between APL and BSL.

I vote for B - I just lost 2" (went from 31" back to 29") and while I really notice those 2" are missing, my hair feels so much better. I've been growing layers out for about a year or so now and they're finally starting to catch up to my length. I have a U-shaped hemline (see my profile pic - this was before the trim) and I really like the way it looks.

I explained to my stylist that I'm growing out and how I've been seeing splits in my layers and the tangles were driving me crazy. He is very careful with how much length he takes, and he showed me the damaged ends as he trimmed them off.

I've been petting my ends all day because they're so smooth. ha ha

I wouldn't blunt cut at your shortest layer because you'll lose a lot of length and it will take longer to reach your goal.

Hope this helps, and hope your trim goes exactly the way you plan it!

Toadstool
October 29th, 2009, 01:09 PM
your hair looks beautiful. I would cut two inches off because condition would be more important to me than length, but that is just me. I think you have to guage what's most important to you.

pilateschick7
October 29th, 2009, 03:43 PM
The cut went great. I was going to get 2 inches off and he suggested 3/4 inch and did not redo my layers. Apparently the Velcro area was almost a line of demarcation. No trims since November 08 might have been a bit too long.
He even suggested oiling the ends to protect them. :)

Thanks so much for everyone's help and the sweet compliments!
I don't know how to quote folks yet.
Shell78 your curls are gorgeous. I would love to be your hair twin.

Mahoganyhorizon,
From watching today, he pulled my hair almost straight while he cut and seemed to cut in the loop of the curl/wave. He did not just pull it straight and cut or use a razor. (Thank goodness)

Definitely if you curl pattern looks similar to mine I would highly recommend avoiding razor cutting of layers. In my pre LHC life the Razor created major frizz, triangle head and splits.:)

There are Deva trained stylists that focus on curly hair. They practice a technique of cutting each curl individually, in the curve of the curl to minimize shrinkage. However, there are none in my area so I have no personal experience.
http://devaconcepts.com

mahoganyhorizon
October 30th, 2009, 10:35 AM
pilateschick7,

Thank you so much for responding with this information! I have always wondered how one would cut curly hair in it's natural state. My hair is curly but those curls are A LOT smaller than yours, so this technique would probably be impossible for my AA hair.

I'm so excited that your cut went well! :)