PDA

View Full Version : On Posting Pictures - Hotlinking with IMG Tags, Copyright Issues, and Street Shots

Flaxen
October 28th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Hotlinking and copyright issues in a nutshell and how they apply on LHC.

Hotlinking:
When you insert a picture-link with the tags into a post, it causes traffic for the site it is hosted at. This uses their bandwith every single time the forum-page containing the image is loaded/viewed by someone. Which can cause costs for the hosting-site and is illegal.
Exceptions are image-hosting sites which offer space and bandwidth to upload images as a service. Like flickr, photobucket or ImageShack just to name a few.

Copyright issues:
To use a picture you have not taken yourself without having permission, violates the copyrights the photographer owns on the picture. Saving it on a computer or uploading it online somewhere else is illegal. As is inserting it on a forum using the [IMG] tags.
There are a few legal exceptions when it is not illegal to use a foreign picture. Like fairshare, public domain, expired copyrights, written permissions, lol-cats etc.

On LHC
The "insert image" button in forum-posts and blogs is meant for pictures you have taken yourself. They can either be hosted in an album here or on a photo-hosting site.
In case you want to show a copyrighted picture you have [I]not taken yourself, please just post a link to it and refrain from uploading it to an album on LHC.

We also, in the sense of fairness, promote a "no nipples, buttcracks, or pubes" rule for all genders.

As a courtesy to others and in acknowledgement of the fact that many members here would object to people taking pictures of them and posting them online without permission, we likewise ask that no one post photos of others without their explicit consent. This is especially true for photos typically known as "street shots" that appear taken without the subjects having been made aware.

Thank you! :flower:

Gvnagitlvgei
October 29th, 2009, 07:31 AM
Hi, I'm not comprehending about this message. This is my own photo taken from my Canon digital camera. It's me. I should reformat it somehow?

SimplyViki
October 29th, 2009, 07:39 AM
Gvnagitlvgei, you're fine. It's your picture, it's within guidelines.

Flaxen, does posting a link definitely not steal bandwidth? I clicked on a link to a picture someone around here posted, recently, and it took me to a webpage the owner of the linked website set up scolding people for hotlinking. But it was definitely a link I clicked on, not a picture with IMG tags. It sort of confused me!

nowxisxforever
October 29th, 2009, 09:03 AM
Viki, maybe I can answer that one-- a lot of sites will make it so that if you try to grab the URL directly to the image, it'll link you somewhere else-- somewhat like what Flickr does depending on the settings of the person who put up the image, taking you to a blank picture, or perhaps a site scolding you for hotlinking.

Hotlinking is when you use their link inside image tags, causing the remotely-hosted image to be shown on another website each time that post/part of the site is viewed, yoinking bandwidth... posting the URL directly to a photo is different, and only loads up the image when that link is clicked on. The amount of bandwidth taken is much higher if you're putting the link inside image tags since it loads up *every time* it's accessed. I hope that explains it properly?

SimplyViki
October 29th, 2009, 10:22 AM
I think I get it. Webspace is so confusing sometimes!

Shiva
October 29th, 2009, 10:38 AM
When you use the properties of a picture from its home site with the tags, you steal their bandwidth every time the picture appears at the remote site (here). It's illegal. In addition, to re-post a picture you have not taken violates the copyrights the photographer owns on the picture. It's also illegal.

The "insert image" button is for pictures you have [i]taken yourself (or have written permission from the photographer to re-post) and which are hosted in space your internet provider gives you, at one of the free hosting sites like Photobucket, or from an album here. For any other picture you want folks to see, please post just the link. Thank you! :flower:

For real? Because then your own avatar is a violation of these forum rules.

Also, I own a website... so if I host pics on it and post them here then I am stealing my own bandwidth?

I assume this goes for person albums, as well?

Xanthippe
October 29th, 2009, 11:53 AM
For real? Because then your own avatar is a violation of these forum rules

The avatar is from Wikipedia (from the link in Flaxen's siggy). On the site it says that it is in the "public domain" which means you are free to copy it as long as you give attribution. For all intents and purposes, this would count as "written permission."

Shiva
October 29th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Wikipedia is an editable website. Anybody could log in there and write whatever they feel like writing.

Xanthippe
October 29th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Wikipedia is an editable website. Anybody could log in there and write whatever they feel like writing.

That's true. When we read something, it's easy to forget that someone else wrote it (be it a textbook or a poster or Wikipedia). Copyright of old paintings has been in the news fairly recently (here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/arts_and_culture/8151989.stm)). I'm not an expert in copyrights, but most of the time when people talk about 'fair use' or 'public domain' images of two-dimensional works of public domain art, they cite this US court case - here (http://www.constitution.org/1ll/court/fed/bridgman.html) - as precedent. The case involved applying UK law, but I didn't get a chance to look up specifics. So, it's being contested, but so far, it's legal in the US in this specific type of case.

Flaxen
October 29th, 2009, 03:55 PM
Hi, I'm not comprehending about this message. This is my own photo taken from my Canon digital camera. It's me. I should reformat it somehow?
It only refers to using other people's work. You own all the rights to any picture you take, and you may post it wherever you like. :smile:

Flaxen, does posting a link definitely not steal bandwidth? I clicked on a link to a picture someone around here posted, recently, and it took me to a webpage the owner of the linked website set up scolding people for hotlinking. But it was definitely a link I clicked on, not a picture with IMG tags. It sort of confused me!
Use? Yes. But steal? No. A link takes you to a website where the bandwidth is used as it is intended. The webmaster pays each month, like we all do, and his website gets traffic. You look around. If he has nice pictures on the site, all the credit is his. Maybe that's the only place he wants his pictures posted. That is his right. Hotlinking redistributes the pictures and violates that right.

I read a humorous way of describing the situation. "You may give a person directions to the museum, but you may not steal its art." (unknown) :lol:

For real? Because then your own avatar is a violation of these forum rules.
For real. And no, my avatar doesn't violate copyright because it was published before 1923, and the copyright has expired.

Also, I own a website... so if I host pics on it and post them here then I am stealing my own bandwidth?
Not if you give yourself permission. :p

I assume this goes for person albums, as well?
Yes it does. :agree:

Nightshade
October 29th, 2009, 04:04 PM
I assume that sites like Icanhasacheeseburger.com who say you CAN hotlink to their images are exempt from this?

Shiva
October 29th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Hmmm... well ok, this is a new one to me. I have never seen a message board have such rigid rules before regarding posting pics. Hotlinking I can understand, although not really alot of people/webmasters/mistresses complain about that as the server bill is just one set fee a month now with most hosting companies. I know I pay $25. dollars a month for my site and it doesn't matter if someone hotlinks a picture or not... the price stays the same.

But, so be it, if that's the rules then that's the rules. Goodness gracias we can't be breaking the rules now.

So, there will be no smilies posted on the board that aren't a part of this board or even LOL Cats/Kittehs photos and we can't post pics in our album or on the board that we didn't take/create ourselves. I guess we will have to remove all pics that we put in our albums that we didn't take ourselves... random pics we found on the internet that we liked and right-clicked and saved and just uploaded to a photo hosting site... also avatars, correct?

Shiva
October 29th, 2009, 04:16 PM
I guess what I don't understand is how are the people in authority here going to know what is legit and what is not? and are these terms going to be enforced with everybody including "favorites?" Or is this just subject to the report post button?

Do I need written permission to post a pic that I did not take?

pradabacon
October 29th, 2009, 04:24 PM
So it's fine to post a 'public domain' image that we've hosted ourselves, or a pic from a site that is meant for free public use (such as LOLcat or smiley images)?

I am also wondering how admin. will determine what is public domain or posted with permission and what is not. It would be mighty difficult to check every picture posted on this site.

Beatnik Guy
October 29th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Umm, folks, this isn't a change of rules; this is just a clarification and a reminder. I'm sure the moderation team have no intention or inclination to check every photo posted here.

Flaxen
October 29th, 2009, 09:52 PM
I assume that sites like Icanhasacheeseburger.com who say you CAN hotlink to their images are exempt from this?
Correct. Permission changes everything. :thumbsup:

Hmmm... well ok, this is a new one to me. I have never seen a message board have such rigid rules before regarding posting pics.
They aren't our rules. It's copyright law that we want to abide by, and since copyright boils down to respect for another's work, why wouldn't we want to abide by it? :shrug:

Hotlinking I can understand, although not really alot of people/webmasters/mistresses complain about that as the server bill is just one set fee a month now with most hosting companies. I know I pay $25. dollars a month for my site and it doesn't matter if someone hotlinks a picture or not... the price stays the same.
But what about bandwidth limit? How many kbs of transfer does your $25.00 buy? If it's unlimited, that's great. If there's a limit, and it's all used up by hotlinkers, when someone then tries to go to your site, they'll get a bandwidth exceeded message, and your site won't be viewable until the next month turns over. It's like allowing someone to tap into the utility pole outside your house and run their appliances while you pay for it. Oh, and you might not be able to run your appliances at the same time.

So, there will be no smilies posted on the board that aren't a part of this board or even LOL Cats/Kittehs photos
The answer to that is above. ;)

... and we can't post pics in our album or on the board that we didn't take/create ourselves. I guess we will have to remove all pics that we put in our albums that we didn't take ourselves... random pics we found on the internet that we liked and right-clicked and saved and just uploaded to a photo hosting site... also avatars, correct?
Legally, strictly speaking, yes, we should all do that.

I guess what I don't understand is how are the people in authority here going to know what is legit and what is not? and are these terms going to be enforced with everybody including "favorites?" Or is this just subject to the report post button?
We're going to do our best, like we always do. Yes, the report button may be used to alert us to pictures with copyright issues.

Do I need written permission to post a pic that I did not take?
From us? No. From the photographer, yes, unless he/she gives permission on his/her site or the image is out of copyright. And if you do get permission, a quick "posted with permission" along with the picture is always nice. And no, we're not going to make you prove it. :lol:

So it's fine to post a 'public domain' image that we've hosted ourselves, or a pic from a site that is meant for free public use (such as LOLcat or smiley images)?
That's it! :grin:

I am also wondering how admin. will determine what is public domain or posted with permission and what is not. It would be mighty difficult to check every picture posted on this site.
For the most part, we're not. Time constraints mean we err on the side of copyright protection, and we change the picture to a link. It's not that big of a deal, really, since the picture can still be viewed with just a click, but it makes every difference, legally.

Umm, folks, this isn't a change of rules; this is just a clarification and a reminder. I'm sure the moderation team have no intention or inclination to check every photo posted here.
Thanks, BG! :grin: You're right, we're not going to check every image, unless you're volunteering? :run:

Braidmaid
October 30th, 2009, 07:46 AM
I have deleted my album because I had posted pictures I got from another website. I do not want to do the wrong thing, however, I would love to list the link to this wonderful site that has many old photos from the past when long hair was encouraged and admired.
www.rapunzelsdelight.com

Bunnyhare
October 30th, 2009, 01:19 PM
Thank you Flaxen, for helping us all to be a little more knowledgeable and honest. I did not know alot of this information and truly appreciate it .

Flaxen
October 30th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Braidmaid, isn't that a wonderful website? I think it's my favorite for looking at vintage pictures. We do have that link in a couple of threads, and I'm so glad you mentioned it. :grin:

Bunnyhare, you're very welcome! :grin:

Kiraela
November 2nd, 2009, 12:05 PM
The way I see it, is this. As Flaxen said earlier, "You may give a person directions to the museum, but you may not steal its art." That makes sense, to me.

And I don't think they'd be checking every photo - For the most part it seems that they'd trust us to do the right thing. Correct?

Lyttle Lox
November 4th, 2009, 02:14 AM
I dunno how this thread appeared on my homepage... I suspect someone is trying to send me a message...

But if I'm doing something wrong it's because I just don't know what I'm doing, regarding pictures.
I don't know what half the stuff being described is (wth is hot linking?!) or how it's done, so any violations from me are in ignorance.
From read something earlier, I thoght as long as you posted a link to a picture, and not just upload a picture that not is yours, you were not taking credit for it.

If I am off, I'm gonna need some tutoring, keeping in mind I know diddly (sp?) about pictures.

cobblersmaid
November 4th, 2009, 10:13 AM
I dunno how this thread appeared on my homepage... I suspect someone is trying to send me a message...

But if I'm doing something wrong it's because I just don't know what I'm doing, regarding pictures.
I don't know what half the stuff being described is (wth is hot linking?!) or how it's done, so any violations from me are in ignorance.
From read something earlier, I thoght as long as you posted a link to a picture, and not just upload a picture that not is yours, you were not taking credit for it.

If I am off, I'm gonna need some tutoring, keeping in mind I know diddly (sp?) about pictures.

It's on everyone's homepage, I think.

snowbear
November 4th, 2009, 06:09 PM
It's on everyone's homepage, I think.
That is correct. :)

WaimeaWahine
November 4th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Flaxen, surely you realize we will only get more creative in Last Word and Revenge of The Thread Killers? :p

One small clarification (I'm slow on the uptake), if something is on a public site for all to see like Flickr or Photobucket, may we link to an image even if it's not ours? Just trying to understand.

Kiraela
November 5th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Waimea, from what I've read into it, I think it's fine if we link to it, just not post the picture itself without the owner's permission. IE : http.picturelinkhere.jpg is fine, but 'actualpicturehere' is not.

Does that make sense?

WaimeaWahine
November 5th, 2009, 11:05 PM
So linky linky but no posty. Got it. ;)

WritingPrincess
November 7th, 2009, 01:03 PM
I think I understand. Just one quick question. If I get my dad to take a picture of my hair, does that need a "posted with permission"?
Thanks for the clarification, Flaxen.

Bene
November 7th, 2009, 06:49 PM
I once posted a picture that was public domain (and I used my own photobucket account to post it) and someone assumed it was a copyright infringement and took it down without bothering to ask about it. Now I don't even bother putting things up unless it came from my own camera.

Calista
November 8th, 2009, 02:19 AM
Is it permitted to use the LHC smilies on TBB? Like, copy the URL of the smilie and paste it into the TBB post using the IMG-tags.

melikai
November 8th, 2009, 03:39 AM
What if we take an image that is not ours, and edit it, and then use that?

This can easily get very complicated....

Arctic
November 8th, 2009, 06:45 AM
What if we take an image that is not ours, and edit it, and then use that?

This can easily get very complicated....

From what I understand it's against copyright law to use image like that. It violated the person who took/draw/whatever that picture. Different thing is if the image is not copyrighted, there are many people out there who give their photos for others to use, but even then the image might have partial copyright, preventing it's usage for comercial use.

Arctic
November 8th, 2009, 06:49 AM
I think I understand. Just one quick question. If I get my dad to take a picture of my hair, does that need a "posted with permission"?
Thanks for the clarification, Flaxen.

I'm not Flaxen or LHC staff, but rest assured you can post picture of your hair your dad took without adding any text. Ofcourse it's always polite to give credit to the photographer even in such case.

LeaM07
November 8th, 2009, 08:47 AM
Just to add to the confusion, taking a picture yourself doesn't necessarily guarantee that you're not violating a copyright. It depends on what you're taking a picture of. Certain works of art or literature, for example, might require permission before you could be free and clear to post pics of them on the Internet.

(It's probably a good rule of thumb for our purposes, though. ;))

Calista
November 10th, 2009, 10:52 AM
Is it permitted to use the LHC smilies on TBB? Like, copy the URL of the smilie and paste it into the TBB post using the IMG-tags.
Bumping this in case one of the mods would like to chime in.

physicschick
November 10th, 2009, 12:32 PM
Calista, I think they all live on the same server here, so I don't see why that would be a problem.

Calista
November 10th, 2009, 12:54 PM
Yeah, that´s what I thought - I just wanted to make sure. Thanks! :flowers:

WritingPrincess
November 11th, 2009, 09:59 AM
Okay, thanks, Arctic. I thought so, just wanted to make sure.

enfys
December 18th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Just to add to the confusion, taking a picture yourself doesn't necessarily guarantee that you're not violating a copyright. It depends on what you're taking a picture of. Certain works of art or literature, for example, might require permission before you could be free and clear to post pics of them on the Internet.

(It's probably a good rule of thumb for our purposes, though. ;))

Darn it, you got there before me! Yes, I have also heard about copyright violations caused by taking photos with buildings in the background, or photos of the building, that needed permission to be used. Maybe that's just commercial, newspaper uses or whatever.

This is a very difficult situation but it seems overall that if we post links (remembering to mention if something may be NSFW) then we take the problem away for LHC of copyright violation. If that site is using a copyrighted image illegally it's their problem.

Am I right?

physicschick
December 18th, 2009, 02:47 PM
This is a very difficult situation but it seems overall that if we post links (remembering to mention if something may be NSFW) then we take the problem away for LHC of copyright violation. If that site is using a copyrighted image illegally it's their problem.

Am I right?

I think you are right, and I like the way you put it! :)

(Although really NSFW stuff probably shouldn't even be linked to. You can give people search terms for a search engine if it's important that they be able to find something.)

enfys
December 18th, 2009, 02:51 PM
I'm very wary of NSFW; if something links to a bikini photo I'd give a warning just incase you have a very strict boss or don't want rumours starting or something. Anything very very much unsuitable you're quite right, I'd just say what helpful words I'd typed into Google.

physicschick
December 18th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Yes, good point about images you wouldn't want your boss to see (even if they're allowed by site rules). Of course some of us would feel awkward if our boss saw us browsing hair pictures, depending on where we work. :lol:

GlamFanatic
December 25th, 2009, 10:04 PM
Oh lord, can anyone tell me where to FIND the signature edit page???? I may have christmas brain syndrome but I cna't find anything like it.

Gumball
December 25th, 2009, 11:06 PM
Oh lord, can anyone tell me where to FIND the signature edit page???? I may have christmas brain syndrome but I cna't find anything like it.

You won't be able to create or edit a signature until you have 25 quality posts. The Post Count and User Permission (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=1658) thread can fill you in on what goes on when. :)

GlamFanatic
December 26th, 2009, 09:36 AM
Ohhh...thank you so much!!! There is so much material here to look through , it's overwhelming...or maybe I'm impatient and don't start reading where I need to! THANKS AGAIN, I would have started trying to figure it out again and wasted time today trying to find it. haha LOVE that bun style, what is it called?

Raederle
December 26th, 2009, 11:54 AM
... LOVE that bun style, what is it called?

I call it Incredibly Amazing.

Calista
December 26th, 2009, 11:56 AM
:lol: Raederle.

I think it is a ropebraid bun.

Teazel
December 26th, 2009, 02:02 PM
:lol: Raederle.

I think it is a ropebraid bun.

A.K.A. a rose bun! :)

CrisDee
February 6th, 2010, 11:03 AM
I'm not usually technologically challenged, but seem to be having a bit of a brain fart here. I'm trying to figure out how to insert a photo into a post from one of my albums. So far I've only had successs inserting photos from Photobucket using photohere. I don't know if this is the right place to ask, as it has nothing to do with copyright issues, but couldn't find a more appropriate thread. Can anybody help? :confused:

cmnt831
February 6th, 2010, 02:44 PM
CrisDee: I don't know if you've figured it out yet or not, but there's a sticky in Site Support that explains how to post from your album. Here: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=407338&postcount=17 And it says you need to add the [img] things around it.
Hope that helps. :)

CrisDee
February 7th, 2010, 07:15 AM
CrisDee: I don't know if you've figured it out yet or not, but there's a sticky in Site Support that explains how to post from your album. Here: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=407338&postcount=17 And it says you need to add the [img] things around it.
Hope that helps. :)

I didn't even find the Site Support page! Thanks so much for the help! :)

Star Eagle
February 18th, 2010, 08:53 PM
Hi I want to change the picture I posed on my profile and put one of my hair . Is that possible I have tried many times no success. I didn't have a picture of my hair at the time I joined this group. thanks for your help. StarEagle

Gumball
February 18th, 2010, 10:53 PM
Hi I want to change the picture I posed on my profile and put one of my hair . Is that possible I have tried many times no success. I didn't have a picture of my hair at the time I joined this group. thanks for your help. StarEagle

You'll be able to do it once you reach the next tier of permissions, which is at 25 posts with mod approval..

Take a look at the Post Count and User Permissions (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=1657) thread to find out more. :)

Star Eagle
March 10th, 2010, 01:52 PM
Flaxen,
Let me ask you this, when one gets an email with attachments ...that has pictures in it, aren't they then giving the ok to display those pictures?:confused: thanks

Finoriel
March 10th, 2010, 02:41 PM
Not Flaxen :wink: obviously.
Emails with attachments are not a permission to use the pictures.
The person sending you the email just shows you the picture, which is no permission for you to use it. Except it is stated otherwise in the email. Sharing a picture on a forum or in an email or on a picture hosting site is not an automatic permission for others to just take it and use it at free will.
I know the topic is kind of abstract so I always try to think about it in a more "real" way, if I´m not sure what is okay or not okay. Think of it like this: You are visiting a museum with an exhibition of old coins. You are allowed to look at them, but playing coin toss or buying a coke with one of them isn´t exactly what the exhibition had in mind when showing you their collection.
Clear as mud eh :wacko: I hope that makes it easier to understand.

tralalalara
March 14th, 2010, 10:52 PM
If copywritten images are an issue, then that one with the "Edward Cullen" signature needs to be reported, And the one with the "Wicked" signature.
And lots and lots of other things, but I don't think copyrights are infringed unless someone is making money off of the "stolen" images, or at least taking credit, right?

Finoriel
March 15th, 2010, 01:08 AM
Copyright issues are an issue. Not if, not when :wink: be assured we follow up on them when we get one reported.
Though it´s not always a case of copyright infringement, since some people indeed have permission to use these pictures, sometimes it´s expired copyrights or taken from fair share / creative commons sites. In which cases we recommend to also post a proper credit line. But you know we are all volunteers, the day just has 25 hours and sadly not everyone is actually reading the guidelines of the board so there are a lot of people to contact :wink:

ETA: And no, one does not need to directly profit in $$ from the use of a picture to violate copyright laws. The degree of violation is different though.

justme
March 20th, 2010, 11:43 AM
... the day just has 25 hours ...

I want to live where you do! An extra hour every day... ;)

Pierre
August 28th, 2010, 09:09 PM
A few times someone has asked for help with an inscription in a foreign language (I remember there was an ingredient list in Arabic), and the picture wasn't previously on the Net and is of some physical object which was, of course, written by someone else. What's the proper way to handle this?

Finoriel
August 30th, 2010, 06:27 AM
You mean like when somebody makes a photograph of a text in a book and shows the image on LHC?
The image would need to be uploaded somewhere else (not in an LHC-album) and could only be linked (not embedded as an image). That way the responsibility for the copyright violation is on the person and not on the forum.

Moondust
September 6th, 2010, 07:16 AM
Oh jeez.. I'm so very sorry. I just posted quite a few images in another thread, without realizing this thread first. From now on I will just post the links. I hope you'll accept my apology. I know better now!

Edit: Just went back and took the image tags out : )

physicschick
September 6th, 2010, 02:43 PM
Edit: Just went back and took the image tags out : )

Thanks, Moondust! :)

Moondust
September 6th, 2010, 03:48 PM
Thanks, Moondust! :)

No problem:) I felt embarrassed, so went back and edited them right away!

bte
September 9th, 2010, 02:35 AM
Copyright law is very complicated, different from one country to another, and crosses national boundaries. It is also not well understood by the general public. Maybe it would be a good idea to have a sticky somewhere with a few basics put together by someone with either legal training or publishing experience. I have a little of the latter, and would be glad to help, but t=it really should be someone with more international knowledge than I have.

Finoriel
September 9th, 2010, 04:36 AM
Hmm, but the board guideline (this thread, first post :wink:) is already a sticky in the site happenings section and does cover the basic "dos and don'ts" for posting images on the forum.
It's made to be an easy to follow guideline for everyone. Containing the needed basics to stay on the safe side - regardless in which country the hosted image/image owner/person posting/forum owner/server is located at and also to make it a doable task for the moderation team to check images for hotlinking/copyright issues without spending enormous amounts of time with it.

Everybody who is curious about the exact laws of their own country can google those in their own language. It's much easier to read them in Swedish for me :p but I doubt many people here would be interested in the Swedish versions or Swedish links about that topic.
And as said, regardless of the exact law of whichever country a LHCer may be from, moderation will still just follow the general guideline of the board.

So it's really nice of you to offer doing such a compiled international law text with references for this topic, bte :flower: but I guess it's just too complicated to be really worth it when it's not going to be used anyways.

bte
September 9th, 2010, 08:14 AM
It's a long time since I read that part of the guidelines! No problem if it's already there - and I might in any case find I'd copied something which had already been copyrighted....

mariika
September 21st, 2010, 06:13 AM
I have a question! I got my pictures of Scarlett Johansson removed and replaced by links - I get it, but I also post pictures from my blog here, taken by me and posted to my blog at wordpress - is that okay or will you replace those too and I have to post my pics at some Photobucket thing or something? Thanks.

Gumball
September 21st, 2010, 11:16 AM
I have a question! I got my pictures of Scarlett Johansson removed and replaced by links - I get it, but I also post pictures from my blog here, taken by me and posted to my blog at wordpress - is that okay or will you replace those too and I have to post my pics at some Photobucket thing or something? Thanks.

If you are hosting them in a space for yourself, which your blog counts as, and the photos have been taken by you, then you can post them with the IMG tags.

If you do not host them yourself, or simply if the pictures have not been taken by you personally, then use links.

Arianwen
September 25th, 2010, 07:22 PM
^ What about Photobucket? They provide the [img] tags! This is one of the reasons why I've gone back to photobucket, and thumbed my nose at Flickr.

yellowchariot
September 27th, 2010, 02:22 PM
Hey I just had a quick question before I get into trouble again :o.

If we have a movie, for example Pirates of the Caribbean, are we allowed to take movie still shots and used them as profile, avatar, and signature pics?

I don't want to be violating this rule, because I am currently using some still shots from the movie that I personally own.

Thank You.

jojo
October 10th, 2010, 06:04 PM
why can we not put pictures in our albums? theres no feature on mine sorry if this has already been asked

Gumball
October 10th, 2010, 09:19 PM
why can we not put pictures in our albums? theres no feature on mine sorry if this has already been asked

I took a peek and it looks like you have 200 photos spread out in your albums. Unfortunately that hits the 200 photo storage cap that is set at the 1+ years/365 days membership permission level. That is likely why it the upload feature appears to be disabled when you try.

jojo
October 11th, 2010, 11:55 AM
aww that makes sense thanks for answering so quick

Unofficial_Rose
October 27th, 2010, 09:48 AM
Thanks for making me aware of the copyright issues. I realised I couldn't publish a website with other people's images on it without permission but I didn't realise avatars etc on a messageboard were a problem.

My new pics may be less amusing but at least they are my own pics to show. ;)

luxepiggy
November 3rd, 2010, 01:57 PM
Piggy has a query! (^(oo)^)

Why can't we post images for which the copyright expired a long time ago, if they are hosted on our photobucket accounts? I'm specifically thinking of this post:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=1323926&postcount=7

Thanks!

Gumball
November 3rd, 2010, 11:10 PM
Piggy has a query! (^(oo)^)

Why can't we post images for which the copyright expired a long time ago, if they are hosted on our photobucket accounts? I'm specifically thinking of this post:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=1323926&postcount=7

Thanks!

I have an answer to Piggy's query! :D

Mostly it revolves around the blanket the rule was created to cover. Not your image taken by you, with your camera (unless it's your own artwork that you've scanned), with your given permission, then roll with the link. If it meets all those requirements, enjoy the IMG tags to their fullest. :)

Copasetic
November 13th, 2010, 05:13 PM
I know this thread is about inserting images into posts, but what about regular links? Not images, but a link that just takes you to another website. I haven't been putting any in my posts because I don't know what the rules are on that.

physicschick
November 13th, 2010, 06:57 PM
Sure, you can insert links as long as the content is suitable (safe for work / PG-13). :)

Copasetic
November 16th, 2010, 01:58 PM
Great! Thanks for clarifying.

Amoretti
November 19th, 2010, 02:56 AM
So is it OK to copy and post a picture you find on Google Images as long as it's hosted on PhotoBucket, for instance?

Gumball
November 19th, 2010, 09:14 AM
So is it OK to copy and post a picture you find on Google Images as long as it's hosted on PhotoBucket, for instance?

Only if it is an old photo (or painting, etc.) with proof that the copyright has expired. Many images, such as modern ones, I would recommend to be left as a link. That is usually why it's safer to just post your own pictures with the IMG tags, and links with the others. Less to worry about. :)

For example, copyrighted images are still copyrighted images, regardless of whether they're hosted on another website or in someone's own image hosting gallery. That bypasses the hotlinking aspect, but not the copyright one.

Amoretti
November 20th, 2010, 07:09 AM
Gumball, I thought that all images on Google Images were freely available. I must have been mistaken then.:confused:

So if you want to post a picture of, say, a movie star or someone like that and you copy a picture of them from Google Images, save it on your computer and host it on your PhotoBucket it would NOT be OK to post it here?

I've done that quite a few times and was always under the impression it was OK as long as it wasn't posted with the IMG tags.

Sorry I'm being such a nitpicker. :flower: I really want to understand this properly so I don't break any rules. :)

Gumball
November 20th, 2010, 08:13 AM
Gumball, I thought that all images on Google Images were freely available. I must have been mistaken then.:confused:

So if you want to post a picture of, say, a movie star or someone like that and you copy a picture of them from Google Images, save it on your computer and host it on your PhotoBucket it would NOT be OK to post it here?

I've done that quite a few times and was always under the impression it was OK as long as it wasn't posted with the IMG tags.

Sorry I'm being such a nitpicker. :flower: I really want to understand this properly so I don't break any rules. :)

Hey I understand completely. The quirk about Google images is that it's not necessarily a bastion of free to use images. If someone took a photo of you without your permission, for example, labeled the file whatever name they want, and made the site it was on accessible to the Google bots, then your picture, without your permission, would show up if someone searched for the right keyword as it would have been scoured and cataloged.

Often celebrity photos were hosted on other sites, and random people who enjoyed the photos in some way saved them and put them on their own sites. When it comes to celebrities, and if they aren't old black and white photos, I'd err on the side of caution and just use a link, whether it's on another site or on your Photobucket. As newer media photos can be hazy on their specific permission levels, that's why we just try to play it on the safe side.

LeaM07
November 20th, 2010, 08:22 AM

Sorry I'm being such a nitpicker. :flower: I really want to understand this properly so I don't break any rules. :)If you're not posting with the IMG tags (that is, you're just posting a link to a pic, like http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/images/misc/thelonghaircommunity.gif), then you can post pretty much anything you want, as long as it's PG-13/safe for work and you're not selling anything in it. This type of linking doesn't steal any bandwidth, so you can link straight from the source, without any sort of photobucket (or whatever) go-between. :)

Amoretti
November 20th, 2010, 08:58 AM
Thanks, Gumball and Lea! :flowers:

So from now on I'm going to just link to images unless it's an old b/w photo that doesn't have a copyright.

My posts are going to be less interesting though! :silly:

Gumball
November 20th, 2010, 03:15 PM
Thanks, Gumball and Lea! :flowers:

So from now on I'm going to just link to images unless it's an old b/w photo that doesn't have a copyright.

My posts are going to be less interesting though! :silly:

Less interesting, or more mysteriously amazing?

Nenwing
November 20th, 2010, 08:45 PM
Hmm this is a good thread to read through! I know I get confused as to what is okay/not okay and how to post it properly.

So in most cases it is good to just post a link to what you want someone to see. Unless though, it is YOUR own photo that you have taken. If it is a photo you have taken of say a work of art that is copyrighted, then to be safe it should not be posted as an image. (This is correct?)

Also, my avatar, it is of Last of the Moheicans, I believe it did come from a site with a bunch of avatars to be used, but is this then ok? Are avatars different?

Amoretti
November 21st, 2010, 07:18 AM
Less interesting, or more mysteriously amazing?

Gumball :flowers: :D

Gingevere
November 26th, 2010, 12:36 AM
Question... Is it okay to post copyrighted images in one's album, as long as they are accompanied by the source? That's pretty much citing the image, like in an academic paper.

Sorry if this has been addressed already. I don't have time to read through the entire thread. ;)

Gumball
November 26th, 2010, 09:18 AM
Question... Is it okay to post copyrighted images in one's album, as long as they are accompanied by the source? That's pretty much citing the image, like in an academic paper.

Sorry if this has been addressed already. I don't have time to read through the entire thread. ;)

The short answer is no. Regardless of the source, albums should not be used to host copyrighted images. They should be used to host pictures the user has taken themselves. :)

summerjade
February 2nd, 2011, 07:33 PM
I am having a problem creating an album for my pictures. I have my pictures that I have taken of myself with my camera in my computer. For 2 days now I have tried to download my pictures into my album here at LHC. It tries to download but fails. Any suggestions as to what I might be doing wrong?

Gumball
February 2nd, 2011, 10:46 PM
I am having a problem creating an album for my pictures. I have my pictures that I have taken of myself with my camera in my computer. For 2 days now I have tried to download my pictures into my album here at LHC. It tries to download but fails. Any suggestions as to what I might be doing wrong?

Just to make sure things would go right, have you tried making sure your pictures were within the requirements? When you create an album and go to the "Upload a picture" area, it will say the dimensions and size requirements below the file browser.

If that's not the case, what exactly are you doing when you try to upload a photo?

summerjade
February 3rd, 2011, 02:26 PM
Thank you , Gumball. Here's what I have doing. At the "Add Albums" I have titled my album "me and my hair", I click on that. Then when upload pictures comes up -where it says "click here to upload pictures" I click on that, and then "upload pictures" comes up "pictures to upload". I click "browse"-- I then browse my pictures and click on the one I want and click open to open and then that number I chose goes into the block for my album. Then I click "upload picture" and it proceeds to upload and upload and upload . Finally, it will stop trying to upload and say "upload failed".
My picture limits says;
pictures remaining 60
space remaining 9.77MB
maximum file size per picture 100.0 KB
maximum picture dimension 600 by 600 pixels
It also says if the picture does not fit , it will automatically fit it .

I can't imagine what to do next. Any help will be appreciated!! Thank you in advance.

Hairitic
August 19th, 2011, 02:45 PM
Thank you , Gumball. Here's what I have doing. At the "Add Albums" I have titled my album "me and my hair", I click on that. Then when upload pictures comes up -where it says "click here to upload pictures" I click on that, and then "upload pictures" comes up "pictures to upload". I click "browse"-- I then browse my pictures and click on the one I want and click open to open and then that number I chose goes into the block for my album. Then I click "upload picture" and it proceeds to upload and upload and upload . Finally, it will stop trying to upload and say "upload failed".
My picture limits says;
pictures remaining 60
space remaining 9.77MB
maximum file size per picture 100.0 KB
maximum picture dimension 600 by 600 pixels
It also says if the picture does not fit , it will automatically fit it .

I can't imagine what to do next. Any help will be appreciated!! Thank you in advance.

I'm having the same problem as Summerjade. I can't get images from either my computer or from Flickr to load as an Avatar or to "My Albums". Can anyone help?
Thanks all! :poot:

sycamoreboutiqu
August 31st, 2011, 12:14 AM
Are there image upload issues tonight ? I am getting error messages each time I attempt to add photos to my album.

islandboo
August 31st, 2011, 05:09 PM
I have been having the same problem for about a week. I am doing it exactly the same way I always (and as summerjade describes) but after a very long time of waiting I get an upload error.

joesgirl2011
August 31st, 2011, 06:44 PM
I've been waiting for over a week too. :(

Gumball
August 31st, 2011, 07:08 PM
You are all correct. There are currently issues with uploading (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=77088). The mod staff does know about it, and are still working through it, but it hasn't been solved yet. Keep your fingers crossed!

islandboo
September 1st, 2011, 08:00 PM
Fingers crossed! Many thanks to the mod staff for their hard work :flower:

stacyyyy1972
September 4th, 2011, 01:51 AM
Oh Im glad to see others post this..not that I am glad that you have all experienced issues..lol..but I tried to upload some pix the other day and that is what it was doing to me is giving me errors. So I went in and made file size smaller thinking it was because of that and still didnt let me. So at least I know it isn't something I was doing.

Darkhorse1
September 6th, 2011, 01:45 PM
I think this happened either last year or the year before. took about a few weeks to sort out, so I know LHC peeps will get it up and running in due time.

Gumball
September 6th, 2011, 06:58 PM
I think this happened either last year or the year before. took about a few weeks to sort out, so I know LHC peeps will get it up and running in due time.

Perfectly right on all accounts! :D

(We're still working in it!)

Darkhorse1
September 6th, 2011, 10:41 PM
Gumball--did you check with Dianyla? I think she worked on this issue last time it happened. Something about bandwidth, but I could be totally wrong on that ;)

Gumball
September 6th, 2011, 10:50 PM
Gumball--did you check with Dianyla? I think she worked on this issue last time it happened. Something about bandwidth, but I could be totally wrong on that ;)

We've put out an APB on the mod network. :lol: :radar:

Alienor
September 7th, 2011, 07:29 AM
Hi,
Can anyone tell me how to post a picture from my computer ? When I use the "insert picture" button it is asking me an URL, but I don't want to post a picture from a website, just a picture taken by myself.
I hope it's not a too stupid question :rolleyes:.

Gumball
September 7th, 2011, 07:41 AM
Hi,
Can anyone tell me how to post a picture from my computer ? When I use the "insert picture" button it is asking me an URL, but I don't want to post a picture from a website, just a picture taken by myself.
I hope it's not a too stupid question :rolleyes:.

It's a combination of what you've mentioned. You can only insert images from the internet, so you cannot attach a file that's currently on your computer. What you would end up having to do is to host your picture on a website such as Photobucket, Flickr, or another image hosting website. Once that is done, there will be a URL for the picture which you can use with the Insert Image http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/images/editor/insertimage.gif button. :)

Hairitic
September 7th, 2011, 10:10 AM
It's a combination of what you've mentioned. You can only insert images from the internet, so you cannot attach a file that's currently on your computer. What you would end up having to do is to host your picture on a website such as Photobucket, Flickr, or another image hosting website. Once that is done, there will be a URL for the picture which you can use with the Insert Image http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/images/editor/insertimage.gif button. :)

I tried putting my photos on Flickr and then using that url but it still wouldn't work for me :(. I've tried several times to chance my sig pic and to add an avatar, all to no avail :confused:

Alienor
September 7th, 2011, 01:34 PM

Thank you Gumball, now it's ok ;)

Gumball
September 7th, 2011, 06:54 PM
I tried putting my photos on Flickr and then using that url but it still wouldn't work for me :(. I've tried several times to chance my sig pic and to add an avatar, all to no avail :confused:

What is the URL of the, or an, image in question? We can take a look to see if maybe the URL is iffy, or at least to figure out if we can get it to post. :D Also, for testing please use the Test Board (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17), and I hover a lot around Site Support (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15) should more questions like this arise (which is the main focus of that region of the forum :D).

Hairitic
September 8th, 2011, 08:03 PM
What is the URL of the, or an, image in question? We can take a look to see if maybe the URL is iffy, or at least to figure out if we can get it to post. :D Also, for testing please use the Test Board (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17), and I hover a lot around Site Support (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15) should more questions like this arise (which is the main focus of that region of the forum :D).

Hi Gumball; Here is the url for the photo I was trying to use to replace my current sig pic with: http://www.flickr.com/photos/36509609@N08/6074587464/in/photostream
Anything funky with it? If not, I'll check with Site Support. Thanks for answering my post. ;)

Gumball
September 8th, 2011, 08:56 PM
Hi Gumball; Here is the url for the photo I was trying to use to replace my current sig pic with: http://www.flickr.com/photos/36509609@N08/6074587464/in/photostream
Anything funky with it? If not, I'll check with Site Support. Thanks for answering my post. ;)

For that picture, the URL you chose was actually the URL for the page and not the photo. For the photo, select the "Share" option, then "Grab the HTML/BBCode" choice, followed by choosing "BBCode" instead of "HTML". It will give you a link that you can use to insert an image into a post. :) Then all you'd have to do is put that link in a post and voila! If you'd like to try it out, head on over to the Test Board and enjoy your success! :D

Hairitic
September 9th, 2011, 07:46 PM
For that picture, the URL you chose was actually the URL for the page and not the photo. For the photo, select the "Share" option, then "Grab the HTML/BBCode" choice, followed by choosing "BBCode" instead of "HTML". It will give you a link that you can use to insert an image into a post. :) Then all you'd have to do is put that link in a post and voila! If you'd like to try it out, head on over to the Test Board and enjoy your success! :D

Thanks Gumball; I'm headed over there now! :eek:

Noreth
September 19th, 2011, 02:54 PM
So, the problem's fixed now?:o If so, how do I upload this to my album? http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/5584/b1243683989712.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/5/b1243683989712.jpg/)

Gumball
September 19th, 2011, 09:34 PM
So, the problem's fixed now?:o If so, how do I upload this to my album? http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/5584/b1243683989712.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/5/b1243683989712.jpg/)

The upload problem is not fixed (but it's in the works as of a notification we received today). Posting a photo from an external hosting site is still your best bet for putting images in posts.

Noreth
September 20th, 2011, 06:20 AM
The upload problem is not fixed (but it's in the works as of a notification we received today). Posting a photo from an external hosting site is still your best bet for putting images in posts. Ok. Thank you!:)

meeta
October 3rd, 2011, 02:59 PM
Pretty sure you don't need to reformat.

Carissamarie08
December 26th, 2011, 10:59 PM
How come it says I cannot post attachments in a thread?

Gumball
December 27th, 2011, 08:18 AM
How come it says I cannot post attachments in a thread?

That feature is disabled, so you will not be able to attach anything to a thread post regardless of your permission level. Many attempt to utilize that button to display an image in a thread. If that is the case, a picture may otherwise be hosted on a forum-based album (provided it abides by the image rules (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=35939)) or on a photo hosting site (Photobucket, Flickr, etc.) and posted via its URL and/or http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/images/editor/insertimage.gif in a post, again remembering the image rules.

Hopefully that clears it up for you! :D

Misso
May 29th, 2012, 04:36 AM
Is there a current problem with posting pictures. I tried to update my album but I keep getting an error message?

Madora
May 29th, 2012, 11:18 AM
Is there a current problem with posting pictures. I tried to update my album but I keep getting an error message?

Misso, the photo function has been down for some time. The mods are aware of it and hopefully it will be fixed soon. This has happened before...and the wait was considerable.

If you want to add a picture to a post, you can post it to an image sharing site, like Photobucket, and download it to your thread from there.

LadyTheta
May 29th, 2012, 11:54 AM
Thanks, Madora, for this info/update. I'll remain patient.
I've only newly reached "25 posts" and was hoping to be able to upload photo soon, and to be able to view other posters' photo albums.

Madora
May 29th, 2012, 12:51 PM
Thanks, Madora, for this info/update. I'll remain patient.
I've only newly reached "25 posts" and was hoping to be able to upload photo soon, and to be able to view other posters' photo albums.

You're very welcome, LadyTheta! Many of us are chafing at the bit..wanting to either upload to albums, create our own albums, or see what folks have been doing with their hair. Believe me, it'll be worth the wait, once the glitch is fixed!:cheese:

Carolyn
May 29th, 2012, 01:48 PM
The issues with the photo album uploads don't prevent you from hosting your pics on a site like Photobucket and inserting them in a post or your blog. I don't see why not being able to put pics in your albums is such a problem. Just put them in your blog. Blogs and albums can be either "friends only" or public to all LHC members with the proper permissions. You still have the same control over who sees your pics.

Misso
May 30th, 2012, 07:34 AM
Thanks Madora. Guess I have to wait in patience.

RSunny
June 2nd, 2012, 08:43 PM
Don't feel badly about having shoulder length hair! Mine is chin length and my goals is bra strap length. I have a loooong way to go.

Cheveux en péta
June 9th, 2012, 07:55 AM
I can't get my pics to upload. They are from my own camera directly from my saved folder in My Documents. ?? It reads invalid.....

Beatnik Guy
June 9th, 2012, 12:09 PM
Cheveux en péta, photo albums at LHC have been down down since 16 April. There is a thread about it here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=92232).
Mod Squad are working on fixing it.

Kitsu
June 14th, 2012, 04:07 PM
and quick way to resize an image on here using code or something? I don't wanna pee the admins off with my mega huge pics and I know there has got to be an easier way that waiting twenty minutes for my lappy to start photoshop...

lapushka
June 14th, 2012, 05:01 PM
and quick way to resize an image on here using code or something? I don't wanna pee the admins off with my mega huge pics and I know there has got to be an easier way that waiting twenty minutes for my lappy to start photoshop...

If you upload them using imageshack, they give you the option to resize your pics online.
http://imageshack.us/

ManeSqueeze
July 26th, 2012, 10:56 AM
Okay, so I've read through this entire thread very carefully (and re-read some stuff that I read wrong at first :doh: ) and here's how I look at it, if this makes it any clearer to people.

It's not okay to take photos from other sites without permission and post them with the IMG function. This would be like taking photos of paintings in a museum, then hanging them up in your house instead of buying the prints.

It's not okay to link to JUST the photo on a person's site. This would be like taking a picture of EVERY painting in a museum, then putting it up online for people to see, without being able to pay the museum or pay for trinkets at the gift shop at the end, possibly stealing would be money from the museum.

It is okay to link to the page with the photo on it. This would be like telling your friends to go see a certain painting in the museum. They pay the entry fee, or they go to see it for free, browse around for a little bit, possibly pay for a drink or a trinket. The museum painting are being used for their intents and purposes, and it is not illegal for you to promote them through word of mouth.

It is not okay to post a picture that somebody sent you via e-mail, or gave you a physical copy. If you think of it in NSFW terms, if someone e-mailed you a nudey picture of themselves, they wouldn't want you posting it around the internet without their permission.

Now I just have a few questions of my own.

If I have bought a few paintings or prints of paintings, and I take a picture of myself, should I worry about posting credit about the painting, or should I just not post that picture?

Is it okay to take a picture of said print on purpose and then post it here using the IMG function?

Thanks for clarification! I think this will help me be more conscientious on other sites as well, and I'm very grateful that we have people willing to take time to explain this and answer any questions that we have about it :bluebiggr

cmg
July 26th, 2012, 06:19 PM
I'm not an expert or anything, but to me it sounds like there is no difference in taking a picture of something like a picture, xeroxing it or scanning it to the computer or any other method of reproducion. Any of it would be an infringement of the copyright. If you leave it on your computer all is fine, but as soon as you publish it somewhere it becomes illegal. The only time one can do this, is if it is labelled Public Domain or something likethe stuff on Wikipedia. Putting the photographers name visible makes no difference.

However, if you copy or scan something into your computer and make a considerable change to the picture, you may publish it. You then have contributed in a major way to the end product and can call it yours. You may inform the public or wievers that your work is based on XYZ but this is not neccessary.

I dont want to point fingers in any specific direction, but I have seen a lot of avatars here on LHC that are clearly stolen and therefore illegal. Those are pictures taken from cinematographic films, book illustrations and other pictures that are still subject of copyright laws.

I have gotten both pictures and text stolen from me, not just from private persons, but also from big news papers! This is very aggravating, because someone else is earning money on it without my consent. Being quoted is a totally different thing.

Just my five cents.

/ CMG

ManeSqueeze
July 26th, 2012, 09:24 PM
If I'm posting pictures of a new hairstyle, should I just black out the paintings in the background? What if I have a sculpture?

Would it be okay if I had a sculpture in the background, gave credit to the artist, and gave information of where one could buy a version for themselves?

I know this is nit-picky, but I have a bunch of art around my house. Obviously the stuff made by friends I can get permission for, but it'd be kind of nice if I'd be allowed to not have to black out my decor AND advertise my favorite artists :D

cmg
July 26th, 2012, 09:34 PM
I dont think things in the background should be any problem, the main thing on the picture would be you. But I'm no expert in these things.

When I take pictures for a newspaper (this happens sometimes) I have to be careful about recognizable people. If they are recognizable I would theoretically have to ask their permission for publishing my picture on internet or paper.

/ CMG

LaFlor
August 14th, 2012, 08:35 PM
I guess I should have read this thread a long time ago :doh: Thanks for the clarification! I will be much more careful now :o

gthlvrmx
June 24th, 2015, 07:01 PM
So if you get the "Direct" link from, for example, Photobucket, and then put that into the "URL" thing that pops up when you click on "Insert Image", that is ok? Also, is it ok if a family member took your photos of yourself and then post them here (or on a blog)?

Chromis
June 24th, 2015, 07:19 PM
Yep, totally good examples! (Assuming the family member doesn't mind you using their photo.)

Gumball
June 24th, 2015, 09:21 PM
So if you get the "Direct" link from, for example, Photobucket, and then put that into the "URL" thing that pops up when you click on "Insert Image", that is ok? Also, is it ok if a family member took your photos of yourself and then post them here (or on a blog)?

For the most part definitely! A good example of when that would be improper is if, say, you took one of my photos and hosted it on your Photobucket and then posted that way without my agreeing to it. Your photo? Rock on!

gthlvrmx
June 25th, 2015, 02:54 PM
Yep, totally good examples! (Assuming the family member doesn't mind you using their photo.)

For the most part definitely! A good example of when that would be improper is if, say, you took one of my photos and hosted it on your Photobucket and then posted that way without my agreeing to it. Your photo? Rock on!

OK thank you guys! :)

cfan
October 15th, 2015, 10:07 AM
The "insert image" button in forum-posts and blogs is meant for pictures you have taken yourself. They can either be hosted in an album here or on a photo-hosting site.

Thanks! Now all I need to know is how to make an album (I know... the 25+ post level must be met first, but meh) and then I will be golden. ;p

Ilovehair
June 7th, 2016, 10:12 AM

Iamsiam
June 16th, 2016, 12:35 AM
Ok so I am absolutely useless! I've made a photo bucket account and tried to copy the URLs. I've done a few test posts but I'm only getting an empty box in the post... What am I doing wrong? ��

Anje
June 20th, 2016, 10:11 PM
Ok so I am absolutely useless! I've made a photo bucket account and tried to copy the URLs. I've done a few test posts but I'm only getting an empty box in the post... What am I doing wrong? ��

Make sure what you're copying is for a BBCode forum. Image codes should be like this, minus the spaces: [ IMG ] http://url.com/your pic.jpg [/ IMG ]

Ayaba Chao
December 17th, 2018, 01:49 AM
Friends, is your real person or wig?

Crystawni
December 17th, 2018, 03:41 AM
Friends, is your real person or wig?

I dunno. With all these new members wigging out tonight, I wonder if you're a wig yourself pretending to be a friendly person?

(*posts reported here, there and everywhere, but it's just too funny*)

EdG
December 17th, 2018, 10:50 AM
We are under siege by spambots. :spam:
Ed

RottenMango
May 3rd, 2019, 12:27 AM
Hotlinking and copyright issues in a nutshell and how they apply on LHC.

Hotlinking:
When you insert a picture-link with the tags into a post, it causes traffic for the site it is hosted at. This uses their bandwith every single time the forum-page containing the image is loaded/viewed by someone. Which can cause costs for the hosting-site and is illegal.
Exceptions are image-hosting sites which offer space and bandwidth to upload images as a service. Like flickr, photobucket or ImageShack just to name a few.

Copyright issues:
To use a picture you have not taken yourself without having permission, violates the copyrights the photographer owns on the picture. Saving it on a computer or uploading it online somewhere else is illegal. As is inserting it on a forum using the [IMG] tags.
There are a few legal exceptions when it is not illegal to use a foreign picture. Like fairshare, public domain, expired copyrights, written permissions, lol-cats etc.

On LHC
In case you want to show a copyrighted picture you have [I]not taken yourself, please just post a link to it and refrain from uploading it to an album on LHC.

We also, in the sense of fairness, promote a "no nipples, buttcracks, or pubes" rule for all genders.

As a courtesy to others and in acknowledgement of the fact that many members here would object to people taking pictures of them and posting them online without permission, we likewise ask that no one post photos of others without their explicit consent. This is especially true for photos typically known as "street shots" that appear taken without the subjects having been made aware.

Hi, so basically just don’t post any pics that aren’t of me or weren’t taken by myself? I went back and removed two pics of a hairbrush I posted because they were from the product website and I don’t want to cause any issues. Is this okay? Also, linking to a hair product on a website is okay, just not posting images from there? Thank you. I just wanted some clarification about what’s okay and what isn’t.

physicschick
May 3rd, 2019, 07:01 AM
Hi, so basically just don’t post any pics that aren’t of me or weren’t taken by myself? I went back and removed two pics of a hairbrush I posted because they were from the product website and I don’t want to cause any issues. Is this okay? Also, linking to a hair product on a website is okay, just not posting images from there? Thank you. I just wanted some clarification about what’s okay and what isn’t.

Yes, that is correct! :)

RottenMango
May 3rd, 2019, 10:52 AM
Yes, that is correct! :)

Thank you! :D

doorgedraaid
February 21st, 2020, 05:29 AM
Thanks for the info, really useful thread :)

oldrocker
March 17th, 2020, 06:58 PM
Sorry for a stupid question(and I'm an IT person, too). I uploaded a photo to an album I created, but I don't know how to link or copy the photo from the album to a post. When I click the Insert Image icon, it asks for a URL. does it want the URL where my album is?? Or is there another way to insert? I could not cut and paste from my desktop directly into a post, but can you cut and paste from an album once you have uploaded?

TIA,
O.R.

redfrau
May 31st, 2020, 03:28 PM
edited to remove photos

Isle-of-Mel
December 5th, 2021, 03:15 PM
Sorry if I’ve missed the answer somewhere, I’m brand new to the site and can’t figure out if I can’t post a picture because I’m not at the 25+ posts or if it’s because there’s a compatibility issue with my iPad, which is not displaying the upload picture function… does anyone know the answer?

Ylva
December 5th, 2021, 08:48 PM
Sorry if I’ve missed the answer somewhere, I’m brand new to the site and can’t figure out if I can’t post a picture because I’m not at the 25+ posts or if it’s because there’s a compatibility issue with my iPad, which is not displaying the upload picture function… does anyone know the answer?

You can upload your picture to an external hosting site such as ImgBB (https://imgbb.com/) even if you don't yet have 25+ posts. Then, copy the photo URL (not the page URL!) and paste it within the IMG tags, like this: [img]https://imageurl.com/adfasd.jpg[/*IMG] (without the asterisk).

SaveTheTapirs
June 27th, 2022, 02:24 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/1tG0Z88y/20220622-192442.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

SaveTheTapirs
June 27th, 2022, 02:25 PM
That was a test. Yay, it sort of worked.

SaveTheTapirs
June 27th, 2022, 02:27 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/j5wCYmCK/Phonto.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

https://i.postimg.cc/j5wCYmCK/Phonto.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

test

floridaorchid
August 6th, 2023, 07:41 PM
I've been trying to upload a photo to an album, but it keeps giving me error of not being able to upload. I cleared my cashe, and tested by reuploading a photo I had already put into an album, but it still wouldn't upload.
My computer should be up to date, so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

angel-baby
August 7th, 2023, 08:29 PM
I've been trying to upload a photo to an album, but it keeps giving me error of not being able to upload. I cleared my cashe, and tested by reuploading a photo I had already put into an album, but it still wouldn't upload.
My computer should be up to date, so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Same here; I've been having this issue for a few days now

floridaorchid
August 7th, 2023, 09:38 PM
Same here; I've been having this issue for a few days now

Makes me feel better not to be alone! It has been a few days, and I can't figure it out.

Chromis
August 7th, 2023, 10:31 PM
I posted in another thread - but I should update this one too! We are not currently sure what is wrong with the photo uploader but we have been looking into it. I suggest hosting elsewhere in the meantime and we apologize for the inconvenience!

floridaorchid
August 8th, 2023, 10:37 AM
I posted in another thread - but I should update this one too! We are not currently sure what is wrong with the photo uploader but we have been looking into it. I suggest hosting elsewhere in the meantime and we apologize for the inconvenience!

Thank you! I thought it was my doing.

Bat
August 9th, 2023, 05:38 AM
Thank you! I thought it was my doing.

I can't change my dp either so you certainly not alone!

Evangely
September 12th, 2023, 03:02 AM
I should know this as an illustrator I guess.. but I don't x) Does anyone know if it's possible to make your photos appear smaller in the forum? An easy way? ;')

foreveryours
September 12th, 2023, 05:26 AM
Not sure whether this works for pics hosted here but ...

8<---SNIP--->8

ETA: RESIZING PICTURES VIA URL EDITS

This works for Imgur and Flickr, it might work for other photo hosts too.

You may add a letter to the URL, right before “.jpg”. The letter you add depends on the size you want.

s = Small Square (90×90)
b = Big Square (160×160)
t = Small Thumbnail (160×160)
m = Medium Thumbnail (320×320)
l = Large Thumbnail (640×640)
h = Huge Thumbnail (1024×1024)

(Thanks to TreesOfEternity for posting this (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128082&p=3701860&viewfull=1#post3701860).)