PDA

View Full Version : Does hair always need a conditioner?

shortgoinglong
October 28th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Hi!
I was raised by a long haired mother who always preached at me the vast importance on always using a conditioner. My hair is currently pretty short (bottom of my neck) and I do not heat style or use hair color dyes. It seems no matter what conditioner I use, my hair always feels weighted down and oily after use. I skipped the conditioner a few times and my hair felt a lot better. However, I worry about unhealthy hair and split ends from using no conditioner. (My mom would scream!):D Is it ok not to use conditioner if your hair is tangle free and not dry?

Coriander
October 28th, 2009, 03:15 PM
If your hair feels better without conditioner, then don't use it. :D

When I was younger, before dyes and perms and getting old(er), I didn't need conditioner very often, just on low-humidity days. Now if I don't use conditioner, I notice that my hair is really dry and unhappy.

I know a lot of people that don't use conditioner. It varies from person to person.

Rivanariko
October 28th, 2009, 03:24 PM
If you're really worried about it, you could try some of the more natural conditioning methods that a lot of people on here use. I've heard of catnip tea used as conditioner and people getting really good results, and I doubt that would weigh down your hair. But if your hair feels happy and healthy, then go with it! Everyone's hair is different. For me personally, cone-free conditioners turn my hair into a brittle, tangled, dull, and very unhappy mess. I get softer hair using no conditioner or WO than I do if I try to go cone-free.

terryn
October 28th, 2009, 03:25 PM
I didn't use conditioner for years, as I had an EXTREME oil problem, and conditioner only made it worse. Recently, my hair got dry (I had to post here to confirm that, having never had dry hair before, lol) so I bought some conditioner. But I only need to use it like, once a week, at most, or my hair gets too soft and goes back to crazy oily. I think you can get a pretty good gauge on how healthy your hair is just by feel, if it feels like it needs conditioner, use it, if not, then don't, there's no need to give your hair something it doesn't need just because a lot of other people do. :D

MemSahib
October 28th, 2009, 03:47 PM
It is possible you might need it in the winter with the dry air but if you don't think you otherwise need it, why use it? Just do keep an eye on it because its needs can change over time.

Lamb
October 28th, 2009, 03:52 PM
My hair is pretty short now too, and I don't use conditioner every time I wash my hair. I use a moisturizing shampoo which does not strip my hair, and my hair is too short to tangle really. Sometimes I use a leave-in (I think it is more efficient than rinse-out conditioners, actually).

burns_erin
October 28th, 2009, 03:53 PM
When my hair was very short, I really did not need it everyday either.

As others have said you might try other things. How about a touch of straight up vegetable glycerin (which is a humectant) just to keep you hair moisturized assuming you have some humidity in the air to draw from.

Fiferstone
October 28th, 2009, 05:16 PM
I'd say that at your length, you probably don't really need it every time you wash. As your hair gets longer, however, it becomes increasingly difficult (and perhaps nearly impossible) to get your naturall scalp oils all the way down your length, and you might find that you do need conditioner once your length is a bit longer, to prevent your length from drying out when you wash your scalp hair. I've had very good luck with LUSH Jungle. It's darn near weightless and I don't have the "oilies" the day after I wash. I've got fine hair and I can go 3 days between washings thanks to Trichomania and Jungle. :).

pinchbeck
October 28th, 2009, 05:46 PM
That's great if you don't need conditioner as you're not depositing artificial slippage on it. In addition, if your hair is short it is best to avoid conditioner as it can have a negative effect on your scalp. As your length progresses you'll know if your hair requires anything for easier management. Until than consider yourself a lucky duck!

nowxisxforever
October 28th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Most conditioners are mostly pointless for me, my hair is much happier if I only shampoo my scalp, and use a very small amount of jojoba or coconut oil after I wash it on my length.

clairenewcastle
October 28th, 2009, 06:43 PM
Although I thought my hair couldn't possibly do without conditioner I gave it up a month ago and my hair is looking much, much better for it. I rinse my hair with an infusion of catnip after washing it with far better results.
If you feel that conditioner is not right for your hair then don't use it.

Teacherbear
October 28th, 2009, 07:21 PM
Does MY hair always need a conditioner? ABSOLUTELY!

Does your hair? It depends on your experience. Pay attention to what it likes best. Maybe try some different conditioners (even ones from health stores), but that isn't essential.

What IS essential is you figuring out what works for you! :)

Carolyn
October 28th, 2009, 08:15 PM
I think you may find that your hair's needs may change as it grows long and it may change with the weather too. There are tons of options for you. If you find your hair feels soft and moisturized without conditioner, then skip it. You may want it when it grows longer. When I had shoulder length layers, I just used shampoo and no conditioner. Now my hair eats conditioner :gabigrin:

ericthegreat
October 28th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Since your hair right now is very short shortgoinglong, and you've noted that using conditioner makes your hair very greasy feeling then as of right now you can get away without using conditioner. However, your mother was right about longer hair!

Longer hair is much older and has seen more wear and tear from years of washing, sun exposure, and daily combing and brushing. It does require extra moisturizing, and at this point you need to treat your hair much more delicately because longer hair is also more prone to damage and split ends.

As your hair gets longer shortgoinglong, you will very likely have to change your haircare routine and the products you use. When it gets longer, you may find that using a conditioner will help to detangle your hair and take out the knots when you comb out your hair. Do you have to use any actual conditioner that you buy at the store? Not at all. Some people use natural ingredients that act like a conditioner. Some people use catnip, other people use a beneficial oil like coconut oil or olive oil. As your hair gets longer shortgoinglong, you can try out all of these products and then you can find out thro trial and error which work the best for you. :)

ademtce
October 29th, 2009, 08:27 AM
nope - daily conditioner is totally unnecessary
the main reason its used is for detangle-ing and slip. although a good deep condition once or twice a week is recommended (i do one once a week overnight with Thriven) - for hair that tangles or "needs" conditioner a simple spray detangler will do the job. it removes and tangles and give great slip. its almost like using conditioner except its way lighter and doesn't build up as fast. so you wont have to be clarifying all the time.

obviously this is just my opinion, Im sure a few people or more here would disagree with me.
I've been using this method for about 4 months now, and i love this method. i also have a good bit of length, a little past shoulder length (with curly hair)

quick fact; body lotion and conditioners (daily) are essentially the same thing. read more here (http://killerstrands.blogspot.com/2009/08/case-against-hair-conditioner.html).

spidermom
October 29th, 2009, 09:12 AM
If it isn't broken, don't fix it. Your hair will tell you when it needs conditioner.

Anje
October 29th, 2009, 09:14 AM
Not everyone's hair requires conditioner. Lots of people do things like shampoo bars, indian herbs, water only, or no water and don't use conditioners with these routines. There are others who are able to use oils or herbal rinses (like catnip) and get sufficient condtioning from these that they don't need conditioner.

However, many of us do need conditioner. I was trying a shampoo bar experiment for a few days, and my hair is mad at me for not conditioning it. I'm doing penance now, trying to baby it, get the tangles out, and cut out the nasty splits.

JamieLeigh
October 29th, 2009, 04:00 PM
Actually, for some hairtypes, it's actually better NOT to use conditioner. Personally, my hair needs the conditioner and hates the shampoo, but there are quite a few people here on the forum who just shampoo, or who shampoo and just oil the ends. Good luck finding what works for you! Everyone's hair is different. :)

florenonite
October 29th, 2009, 04:26 PM
I've got fine hair, and I find that conditioner just weighs it down, so I don't use it. I cover it in coconut oil the night before I wash it then wash with a shampoo bar. Even if I'm using SLS I pre-oil then just wash my scalp, which keeps the length conditioned. I use a tiny bit of oil as a leave-in conditioner and that's it.

If your hair doesn't need conditioner right now, don't use it. If it gets longer and you feel like it needs conditioner, but conditioner just makes it greasy, try some alternatives that people use here, like oiling or catnip tea. You might also find that a deep treatment like an SMT is beneficial, but regular conditioning just makes your hair greasy. In short, if what you're doing works fine, keep doing it. If it starts to be problematic, experiment until it works again.

longhairedfairy
October 29th, 2009, 05:34 PM
I could never go without conditioner. Some people, on the other hand, can just use a vinegar rinse and no conditioner and still have gorgeously shiny/healthy-looking hair.:)

AnaGeorgette
October 30th, 2009, 10:41 PM
I used to use alot of conditioner and it really weighed down my háir and left it really stringy and horrid.

Now I've taken my man's advice in using as little product as possible i.e. only using shampoo and massaging leave-in conditioner to the tips and that's it.

butterflydreams
October 31st, 2009, 07:24 PM
My mom has type 4ab hair and very rarely uses conditioner up until today I would shake my head at her.I don't know why because her hair appears healthy. I guess it was something I was taught to always do. But after reading several articles about most conditioners being full of harsh salts, waxes, petro chemicals, silicones, and mystery fragrances I'm ready to apologize to her. :o I'm going to finish up the two conditioners I have but in 2010 I will not be buying any conditioners from stores. I will probably just use oils/butters & herbs etc. You learn somthing new everyday.:hmm:

GlennaGirl
January 2nd, 2010, 07:07 PM
Okay, so...I'm planning on henndigoing again (yes, for real) and I should be getting my henna in on Monday so today I just washed my hair and didn't use conditioner.

This is something I NEVER do. I happened to stumble across something online about having "bare" hair in preparation for henna-ing and having it possibly stick better.

I either CO, then follow by using a little more of the same conditioner; or wash and then condition; or use Hair One (it's like Wen and is a cleansing conditioner).

I can not BELIEVE how gorgeous my hair is today. And my god, I don't think I even remember the last time I didn't condition my hair. I've been using conditioner with every single wash since...I don't know. The 70s? Well, at the time of my first perm, anyway.

Is it possible to just not need conditioner? Pardon my ignorance but I would never have entertained the thought had I not come across that one post. I just...wouldn't. Can I just go without it until my hair starts feeling dry, if it ever does? How about with the inclusion of the henndigo? Would love any input.

I just don't want to suddenly wake up with 10,000 splits and Brillo hair because I should have been conditioning all along.

shockinglength
January 2nd, 2010, 07:09 PM
I think conditioner is nessisary.

Amara
January 2nd, 2010, 07:10 PM
I rotate through several different washing methods, using one for a few months at a time before switching it up.

I've gone months without using conditioner, when I use my Naked Naturals Awapuhi & Lavender shampoo. I simply don't need it. I do have a spritzy bottle with a teensy bit of conditioner in it that I use throughout all washing methods, though.

So, I'm not sure about super-long term consquences, but it works great for me for months at a time. I've never noticed any additional damage or anything.

julya
January 2nd, 2010, 07:31 PM
I will go for periods of a month or two without using conditioner, only shampoo. I rotate between washing methods, depending on my mood.

MotherConfessor
January 2nd, 2010, 07:32 PM
I am a great believer in mixing it up. I tend to doubt that never conditioning is something that many people should do (although I am sure that it works for some). So just go with it for now and keep a close eye on your hair, if it starts looking dry then it may be time to add conditioner back into your routine. Everyone's hair is different; even people who are "hair twins" require different routines. So roll with whatever works for you.

Aditi
January 2nd, 2010, 08:02 PM
If you are using coney condish and your hair behaves even you don't use conditioner then i guess its ok if you skip for few times. Is your hair dry? If so then you should apply oil before doing henna or it will rip off the moisture from your hair.

Ally<3
January 2nd, 2010, 08:03 PM
When you think about it, conditioner doesn't really 'repair' your hair (otherwise everyone's hair would healthy, and that's just not the case) I see conditioner as a detangler and something to give the hair 'slip' to aid in handling the hair. This result though, only lasts until the next wash. I use it because my hair is damaged and I need it to detangle. If your hair is healthy you shouldn't need it. Lipid and protein rich treatments should be used if your hair is dry/damaged.

Flaxen
January 2nd, 2010, 10:35 PM
The short answer is no, conditioner is not necessary for everyone.

The longer answer is, it depends on your hair, your water, your climate, your products, any chemical treatments, and your routine in general. The only way to find out if no conditioner will work for you is to try it and see. I'm about a month in to a no conditioner routine, and it's working great so far. I've got a stash of deep conditioners, so I'm going to use them a couple times a month, but as they get used up...well, we'll see what happens. :smile:

GlennaGirl
January 2nd, 2010, 10:48 PM
AWESOME. Thanks, all. Then I'm going to try it for now. I'm in a dry climate but my hair is unprocessed except for one henna-ing about four months ago; previous henndigo is all cut off now. No blow drying or perms or highlighting.

So I'll try it for a while and see how it goes. Flaxen, I like the idea of keeping a "just in case" stash on hand. Luckily I have plenty of standard ol' conditioner around and it keeps forever...and in case of a frizz emergency, Sally's is less than a mile away. :P

Thanks.

sumptuousness
January 3rd, 2010, 02:12 AM
I skipped conditioner for a while when I was using a Jason shampoo that worked beautifully without conditioner, better than it did with conditioner!

My hair seemed very happy with it and I'm fairly sure I could have continued, but I did become concerned about any potential gradual cumulative-type effect from not using conditioner over a longer period of time, and decided to condition just to be on the safe side.

I think conditioner does take some of the subtle daily wear and tear off of hair, which might not make a visible difference until after a while.

I hope whatever you decide to do works well for you :)

Aer
January 3rd, 2010, 02:42 AM
I think it's fine to not condition, depending on your hair type and it's current health. I do condition, because I have medium/fine/coarse and wavy curly hair with dry ends. I really just oil, and occasionally use a deep conditioner/treatment from Aveda. In fact, there is a school of thought out there that believes that you shouldn't use any type of product that may leave traces of itself behind, mainly oils and conditioner, because it can weigh hair down and isn't good for the cuticles. I have met some who don't condition and their hair (as long as it is damage free and isn't prone to dryness),looks pretty healthy. I'm not a practicing follower of this theory and I think that it's best to to try to lock in moisture when needed.

As far as conditioning before hennaing, In my experience it doesn't effect it either way. I guess if you were using a thick, coney conditioner, it's possible that it could make it a little more difficult for the stain to stick. I usually just gloss, but if I oil lightly before I henna, I've found that it combats the small amount of dryness that I sometimes get after hennaing.

I don't know how useful this was, but I wish you the best of luck!

iris
January 3rd, 2010, 03:31 AM
I've gone without conditioner for long periods (around a year) several times in my (pre-LHC) life, and for me, it always looked better at the start, shinier, bouncier, but after six months to a year, my ends would get rather frazzled and dry. And I've always shampooed just my scalp, so it wasn't shampoo damage, just regular wear and tear (didn't dye or anything, either).

For me, it definitely wasn't like my ends became dry and split overnight, but over time, they definitely were drier and more split without conditioner than with.

I can easily get away with using conditioner just once a week or every other week though (I wash every day). If you don't shampoo the length, it takes a while for the conditioner to wear off.

For me, just oiling doesn't quite cut it either, although it does help.

I agree that you should just see what works for you. You'll see soon enough if/when you need conditioner again.

Dreams_in_Pink
January 3rd, 2010, 04:20 AM
i no longer use conditioner, cause all brands here are coney. There was barely any difference in my hair *shrug*

Brownie
January 3rd, 2010, 04:36 AM
When you think about it, conditioner doesn't really 'repair' your hair (otherwise everyone's hair would healthy, and that's just not the case). I see conditioner as a detangler and something to give the hair 'slip' to aid in handling the hair. This result though, only lasts until the next wash.

I can detangle my hair without conditioner, but it helps to weight my hair down and provides more slip (my hair is all grip :lol:). Oiling helps a lot, but oil alone doesn't moisturize my dry hair good enough.

Othala
January 3rd, 2010, 04:47 AM
I only use conditioner in the autumn and winter months. In summer, I oil.

jojo
January 3rd, 2010, 04:59 AM
I went a while without using it and too had great results, however I find as my hair gets longer I need it more to de-tangle rather than for adding shine. So for my fine hair which is not far off waist for me at this stage yes it is needed.

Raven2448
January 3rd, 2010, 05:03 AM
I stopped using conditioner daily a year or so ago - I use ACV rinse instead and it softens enough for detangling.

I only use conditioner:
1) after henna or
2) in the winter here and there to prevent static. In this way, I smooth it on the length and quickly rinse it off. I don't let it absorb.

I found that skipping the conditioner increases shine and doesn't put weight on the length that turns into that "flat" look an hour after styling.

Brownie
January 3rd, 2010, 05:36 AM
I found that skipping the conditioner increases shine and doesn't put weight on the length that turns into that "flat" look an hour after styling.

And I need that weight, my hair gets nearly uncontrollable without it :shrug: It's very... stubborn :lol:

CTH3989
January 4th, 2010, 07:33 PM
Has anyone ever tried using shampoo only and then using EVOO or some type of moisturizer afterwards? Does one have to use conditioner? Just a thought.

Flaxen
January 4th, 2010, 09:43 PM
Has anyone ever tried using shampoo only and then using EVOO or some type of moisturizer afterwards? Does one have to use conditioner? Just a thought.
Using oil instead of conditioner can be tricky, but it can be done. It works best for me if I bun my hair and let it dry very slowly. Check out this thread (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=61123) in the archive for a good discussion on the topic. :smile:

Rentlle
January 5th, 2010, 11:56 AM
Not everyone needs conditioner :)
I use it because my hair is verry dry... when my hair would'nt be dry, I wouldn't use conditioner I supose :)

I use it to detangle too...

But it's only the last 30cm'ers of my hair that needs conditioner in fact.. :)
So if your hair isn't dry, you don't need to detangle after washing, and you don't feel like your hair likes it: then don't use it :)

Fluke
January 5th, 2010, 01:08 PM
OP, does your conditioner contain silicones?

When I used conditioner with 'cones my hair was weighed down and stringy/greasy looking, no-cone conditioner on the other hand just makes my hair soft and not weighed down.

For me, cone and no-cone is like night and day!

GlennaGirl
January 5th, 2010, 02:57 PM
My conditioner doesn't contain 'cones. I have been using cheap-O Suave or White Rain conditioners. :) I may start conditioning only once a week or so and see how that goes...

juliaxena
January 28th, 2010, 01:13 PM
Some pople don't use conditioner. I can't live without it. Is it because their hair is so healthy? And where does that leave most of us that do need conditioner? I don't think my hair is unhealthy but I'm just wondering about this.

Heidi_234
January 28th, 2010, 01:37 PM
I think people with straight naturally very oily hair can get away with not using any conditioner. Some say it makes their hair limp, others that it makes their hair too oily.

juliaxena
January 28th, 2010, 01:49 PM
Could be. Also maybe some people have naturally dry hair that you couldn't call unhealthy.

Anje
January 28th, 2010, 01:55 PM
Short. ;)

Sorry, that's the first thing I thought.
I've been able to go without conditioner for longish periods of time while using shampoo bars or while doing WO. Eventually, though, my hair would get dry doing this despite my applying oils. My hair just is happier when it gets conditioner.

centurytoolate
January 28th, 2010, 01:56 PM
I didn't have to use conditioner until I was in my mid twenties. Up until then my hair was stick straight but slowly became wurly and much drier. Til that point conditioner had made my hair so slippery that I couldn't do anything with it.

LadyVictoria
January 28th, 2010, 02:17 PM
My hair was exactly the same way, centurytoolate.

I can't get away with not using conditioner, my ends are far too dry for that. Those who don't need are truly lucky indeed.

FrannyG
January 28th, 2010, 02:25 PM
The only time I didn't need conditioner was when I had a pixie cut. Even by the time it grew to all-over chin length, I needed conditioner. Frankly, I can't imagine life without it.

frodolaughs
January 28th, 2010, 02:25 PM
Hmm. Bald-type hair? I've always used conditioner even when my hair was an inch long.

freznow
January 28th, 2010, 02:27 PM
I don't use conditioner, but that's because I use mild moisturizing cleansers (like eggs, or shampoo bars, or herbal rinses.)

Islandgrrl
January 28th, 2010, 02:29 PM
Could be. Also maybe some people have naturally dry hair that you couldn't call unhealthy.

Yup. My hair (apart from the bottom few inches which have old damage) is very healthy. It's also dry. When it's all virgin (no velcro damaged ends!) I don't necessarily need conditioner. I did, at one time, have knee length hair and rarely, rarely conditioned it. And it was nice.

Hiriel
January 28th, 2010, 02:34 PM
My hair doesn't. I think it might be a little softer and shinier with conditioner than without, but it manages just fine without. My hair is relatively straight, and has never been prone to dryness. And I don't know if it makes a difference, but it's never been bleached, permanently dyed, or heat styled.

At the moment I use conditioner (and shampoo, for that matter) about once a month.

Carolyn
January 28th, 2010, 02:53 PM
My hair needs conditioner. It wouldn't survive without. It's dry on the ends and always has been split prone. When I had shoulder length layers I was it daily with my head upside down in the bathroom sink. I didn't use conditioner. I blew it dry and then used a curling iron. I also wondered why it was a fried ratty mess :p

Fractalsofhair
January 28th, 2010, 03:19 PM
When my hair is totally virgin and I'm using VERY gentle products on it, I can get away without using conditioner on the hair itself(often my scalp needs it, but it seems to be getting better). If I'm using shampoo bars, a vinager rinse is enough for me it seems, currently. However, I only have a teensy teensy bit of damage left from the "incident" that happened to me a year ago(and only in the front), so it's not at all damaged currently.

I think if your hair is totally undamaged and not dry, you can skip using conditioner daily and get by using it with only every wash or once a week or so.

DanielleRenae
January 28th, 2010, 04:55 PM
Until last month, I didn't use conditioner for years and my hair was perfectly fine without it. I didn't like using it because it made my hair seem...limp.

jojo
January 28th, 2010, 06:40 PM
Hair without conditioner for me would be like breathing without oxygen!

Though i did try a few weeks when my hair was shoulder and it turned out nice, these days though my hair would look like a birds nest without!

julya
January 28th, 2010, 06:59 PM
Lately I haven't been using conditioner, and my hair doesn't seem to be suffering. It still tangles easily, but I don't think that conditioner helps when I do use it.

Peter
January 28th, 2010, 07:26 PM
Normally I wash my hair using a bit of conditioner on my scalp and nothing on the length. I don't know how much conditioner my ends get, but I don't need to oil at all. Scalp massages every ~2 days keep my ends in good condition.

I've been WO for 2 weeks now and it hasn't made much difference. I suppose I was nearly WO in the first place since I didn't use that much conditioner anyway. We'll see how it works out in the long term, but at most, I need conditioner rarely.

LaurelSpring
January 28th, 2010, 09:11 PM
I could probably get away with not using conditioner. Right now I just use a tiny bit of watered down conditioner. I could probably take it down a notch to just misting it with some water/oil mixture. Too much conditioner can make it limp.

Magelet33
January 28th, 2010, 09:36 PM
I use watered down conditioner every few months, otherwise I'm WO. My hair might be a bit sleeker and shinier with conditioner, but honestly, if I oiled 1-2x a week (or even 1x ever 2 weeks), it would probably be the same. I just don't oil it often enough. (historically I've only done deep oil treatments. looking forward to daily little oils.

loyaboya
January 29th, 2010, 03:31 PM
I suspect a lot of people could technically get by without conditioner, but they'd probably need a significant change in their regimen and/or expectations. I don't believe conditioner is standard/common in all cultures. But you probably need some type of oiling and more gentle cleansing. I'm a 4a and tried it for a little while. My hair was plenty moisturized but it seemed to miss the protein (I usually use a protein conditioner for my fine hair). It also depends on how you like to wear your hair (someone who buns all the time might have a different opinion than someone who likes their curls just so)

Elfe
January 31st, 2010, 05:45 AM
It depends on what kind of shampoo I use, but I can defenetly wash my hair only with shampoo.
I do not have dry hair, but It gets many tangles during the day, so I just need a really light conditioner for combing.

lapushka
January 31st, 2010, 07:56 AM
I didn't use conditioner for many years. I used a coneladen shampoo (Garnier Fructis). I have oily hair and the cones made it look quite bad (sleek, unnaturally shiny, almost synthetic looking, kind of flat and oily). I used to think conditioner would make my hair look even flatter, and it did, but I used to apply it all over instead of only at the ends. I can't use too much conditioner or it'll way my hair down. Better said, I can use quite a bit of a light conditioner but have to be careful with the heavier ones.

lesbia
January 31st, 2010, 08:43 AM
i think that everyone could do not use conditioner if they:
- have healthy hair
- don't use cones
- don't use chemical treatment on their hair

AstrayStar
January 31st, 2010, 09:23 AM
My hair doesn't really like conditioner. It makes it flat, limp, and sad. ;) My hair is very fine and conditioner strips all body out of my hair.

Flaxen
January 31st, 2010, 03:47 PM
Ultra fine hair here, and ultra soft water, too. I've started 2010 not using conditioner, and so far it's been good. I do oil my scalp and length first, though, and I use diluted shampoo, so my hair never gets over-washed.

Heavy conditioners have always weighed my hair down quickly, but I don't think I could have gone without any conditioner when I was using heat appliances and highlighting. That seems like it would have been very scary.:lol:

Svenja
February 1st, 2010, 01:36 AM
I use conditioner all the time, but I have recently had the feeling that my hair becomes kind of waxy and limp. So now I am going to try 3 weeks without conditioner. Only oil and mild shampoo. Let's see how I like it. At the moment I could not imagine my hair procedure without conditioner - I'm proper addicted! :laugh:

heidihug
February 1st, 2010, 08:15 AM
I think people with straight naturally very oily hair can get away with not using any conditioner.
I used to be one of those people, Heidi_234, way back in my short-haired days. However, I always use conditioner now, from my ears down. Otherwise my hair would be a static-y dry mess.

cardamom
March 1st, 2010, 03:17 AM
i've started CO and the result is fine after 1 week!:cheese:

Dreams_in_Pink
March 1st, 2010, 03:26 AM
i feel for you OP, my hair's short and does not need conditioner either. When i apply conditioner, it just becomes, how to say, "sticky" and kind of weaker than it is. This goes for no-cone conditioners, coney ones don't make any changes in my hair :P

do what works for your hair.

habioku
March 2nd, 2010, 12:39 PM
I no longer use conditioner, my hair looks much better without it (don't know why...) Only oiling after washing is enough care for my hair.

Centelleo
March 2nd, 2010, 12:46 PM
I've used conditioner all my life because I thought it's what my hair needed. Never mind the fact that my hair was always dry, coarse, and generally not pretty despite religious applications of conditioner and deep conditioning treatments.

Now that I've switched over to shampoo bars, I find that my hair looks even better than before! I use CV's Babassu & Marsh Mallow shampoo bar, followed by a weak ACV rinse. Even if I don't put any styling products or oils in my hair after cleansing, my hair dries shiny and super soft. No amount of conditioner/protein pack/deep treatment ever did this to my hair. I use a light glossing of coconut hibiscus oil if my hair needs a boost of shine and flyaway grooming during the week, so that could be considered my conditioner.

Botticelli Gold
March 26th, 2010, 05:47 PM
Not sure if this is because of my hair type but I am starting to think it isn't shampoo I need to go without, but conditioner.
I find if I use a small amount of diluted shampoo to cleanse my hair it's fine. But when I condition it that's when I start to have problems. It's TOO soft. Fly away, fluffy, frizzy (and this should not be the case) and generally "boofy" lol!
I am finding a light oiling after shampooing to be more than enough to smooth my hair and give shine. I have always done this but I would usually condition first and it would still be too fluffy.
Anyway, I did try the curly girl routine but I ended up feeling flat, dull, itchy and gross. I only "wash" my hair once a week (sls free shampoo) so I'm gonna stick with this new routine of no conditioner and see how it works for me over time. So far it works like a dream! :)

curlylocks85
March 26th, 2010, 05:55 PM
Sounds interesting; let us know how it turns out!

GlassEyes
March 26th, 2010, 06:01 PM
It might be that the conditioner you're using is too full of humectants. They draw moisture to the hair, which, although it can be helpful, can cause frizz too. Watch out for glycerin, honey, and stuff like that.

But if that isn't the case, I'm surprised. o-o And more than a bit envious.

Shicurls
March 26th, 2010, 06:05 PM
Hmm, I've been wondering about this myself. My grandma has similar hair to mine, except curlier and her's always looks better without conditioner. I have been experimenting with this concept for my hair. Mine loves coconut oil. Hmmm, I will give that a shot next wash! Let us know how it's going with yours.

Pear Martini
March 26th, 2010, 06:09 PM
My mom has super thich, curly hair and she only uses shampoo. Its also above shoulder length, so its pretty short but she only shampoos and the only hair product she uses is hair spray. Id say each head of hair is unique and needs a custom approach.

Cailie
March 26th, 2010, 06:13 PM
Interesting idea... can't wait to see if it works in the long run for you !

And I agree so much with the custom approach :)

Botticelli Gold
March 26th, 2010, 06:18 PM
It might be that the conditioner you're using is too full of humectants. They draw moisture to the hair, which, although it can be helpful, can cause frizz too. Watch out for glycerin, honey, and stuff like that.

But if that isn't the case, I'm surprised. o-o And more than a bit envious.
I have tried so many conditioners in my life that it is not possible to count. They ALL seem to make my hair TOO soft. Doesn't matter what kind they are. I'm sure they are intended for fine straight hair.
Oil seems to work perfectly though.
I have been known to mix conditioner and almond oil half & half (make sure you rinse out) and that works really well and a lot better than conditioner alone (good tip for curls there), but really, oil alone works just as well for me and it saves on conditioner and money.

nowxisxforever
March 26th, 2010, 06:25 PM
Good luck! I do the same now and again. I've found that my hair generally fairs pretty good if I use coconut or jojoba oil lightly as a 'leave-in' and to touch-up the smoothness between washes, rather than conditioning.

Botticelli Gold
March 26th, 2010, 06:35 PM
Good luck! I do the same now and again. I've found that my hair generally fairs pretty good if I use coconut or jojoba oil lightly as a 'leave-in' and to touch-up the smoothness between washes, rather than conditioning.
Thank you :) I am glad it works for others.
I do make sure I use a relatively natural shampoo, usually with no sls or cones, not sure how well this routine would work with a "normal" shampoo. "Normal" shampoos make my hair feel squeaky and stripped but the shampoos I use for this routine don't. I don't feel like I even need conditioner like I would with a generic shampoo. My hair is definitely much less frizzy with this routine.

Tonks
March 26th, 2010, 06:49 PM
That's very intersting! Looking forward to seeing how this works for you :)

Athena's Owl
March 27th, 2010, 08:18 PM
I am inclined to think that glass eyes has hit on something and that your hair doesn't like humectants, which are common to many conditioners, and that your hair prefers emollients, since oiling works wel for it.

My hair doesn't like humectants AT ALL in dry cold weather and i had a bit of a struggle finding conditioners that didn't have any, but it looks like suave has come out with a few of them in their naturals line that are protein and humectant free.

Quixii
March 27th, 2010, 09:04 PM
Huh. My hair does not like being without conditioner at all.
Well, I hope it works out for you. :)

johnnysgirl
March 27th, 2010, 09:09 PM
Wow - isn't it funny how different hair reacts to different treatment? My hair would absolutely REVOLT without conditioner. The hairs would literally take up and run off to take up residence somewhere else. But I think straight hair needs to be soft and smooth. I don't know that I understand what "too soft" means... Hmmm...

Peter
March 27th, 2010, 09:37 PM
I only started using conditioner when I hit shoulder length. I stopped when I got a bit past APL. :p

Katurday
March 27th, 2010, 09:49 PM
I only use conditioner for the de-tangling purposes cause I don't have huge curls to get away with it. Shine wise, my hair prefers to go free. I might eventually cut it out when I replace it with oils.

Anje
March 27th, 2010, 10:08 PM
Hope it works for you. My hair loves humectants a bit too much to go entirely without them, but your hair might be different.

With your curls, I wonder if you might benefit from leaving a significant portion of conditioner in your hair to help it clump (a la Tightly Curly (http://www.tightlycurly.com/)), rather than skipping on the moisture entirely. Ultimately, it depends on what works for your hair, though.

TXbarbie
March 27th, 2010, 11:24 PM
Wow I'm the complete opposite - shampoo dries out my roots too much! A great example that there is no one right way to care for hair :)

Jeni
March 28th, 2010, 01:40 AM
Wow - isn't it funny how different hair reacts to different treatment? My hair would absolutely REVOLT without conditioner. The hairs would literally take up and run off to take up residence somewhere else. But I think straight hair needs to be soft and smooth. I don't know that I understand what "too soft" means... Hmmm...

This is me. I don't even want to think about how my hair would react without conditioner. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to get a comb/finger through it!

Until I joined LHC I always thought hair was hair, sure it was different colors and different "shapes" (curl-straight) but it was essential all the same. Its so weird how someones hair can freak out over something that makes my hair happy as a clam. Weird.

xoxophelia
March 28th, 2010, 03:34 AM
This is a really good idea! I have the same problem.. My hair is very very soft sometimes and just does not tangle at all. I don't even brush it and it doesn't tangle O.O

Will be giving this a try asap

Debra83
March 28th, 2010, 03:39 AM
Oh my goodness. If I didn't use conditioner, I can't imagine what would happen. I'd probably end up shaving my head to get rid of the knots. Maybe not the very first time, but like 5 minutes later!!!! My scalp is wincing just thinking about it!!!!

melikai
March 28th, 2010, 03:59 AM
What a coincidence, as I've been thinking of this very same thing for the last few days! My hair is very different from yours, but I am already finding that only the last very damaged (old bleach) few inches of my hair need conditioner. Once they are gone, I think I'll be fine with my non-sulphate, gentle shampoo and just a few drops of oil. I love the prospect of minimising my routine and products even further! :D

xoxophelia
March 30th, 2010, 02:37 PM
So, I tried this out last night. The results are in the video I put up in my sig. Made my hair more shiny I am pretty sure. And, I am not having any trouble with tangles. The ends are slightly worse so I think I might try only putting conditioner ini the last 3" of my hair :D

Gulbahar
March 30th, 2010, 02:41 PM
I never use conditioner as it makes my hair too soft and slippery. Oil works just fine though.

bubbles_87
March 30th, 2010, 03:27 PM
Im in the same situation about the conditioner. I have fine hair but without conditioner my hair is really shiny, has more volume, and its easy to style. I also use a small amount of oil when my hair is dry. With Conditioner my hair gets very oily and is limp. But I do deep condition 1-2 times a week cause I do heat style every now and then.

embee
March 30th, 2010, 04:52 PM
I'm a 1a, so it's different - no curls whatsoever.

I do not use conditioner, only very diluted shampoo on the scalp. Rinsed well all down the length. No oil. I have to look out or my hair is just too flat, slick, slippery and is a general pain to deal with.

ademtce
March 30th, 2010, 04:57 PM
Conditioner is very unnecessary. I haven't used it in almost a year now and my hair is in its best shape ever. mind you i mean daily conditioner, i use a once weekly overnight deep conditioner Thriven.

most people think they need conditioner because they can't run their fingers through it without snags, and in that case all you need is a light-weight spray detangler. but really once you bust the Conditioner cycle you hair will have a totally new feel.

check out Killerstrands.blogspot.com for more on haircare and conditioner free washing.

xoxophelia
March 30th, 2010, 05:16 PM
Conditioner is very unnecessary. I haven't used it in almost a year now and my hair is in its best shape ever. mind you i mean daily conditioner, i use a once weekly overnight deep conditioner Thriven.

most people think they need conditioner because they can't run their fingers through it without snags, and in that case all you need is a light-weight spray detangler. but really once you bust the Conditioner cycle you hair will have a totally new feel.

check out Killerstrands.blogspot.com for more on haircare and conditioner free washing.

Yeah, my hair feels pretty darn amazing right now. I'll look into the detangler.

Shicurls
March 30th, 2010, 05:24 PM
xoxophelia, your hair looks really shiny and beautiful! Plus I love your voice!

GlassEyes
March 30th, 2010, 06:40 PM

So replaced a cycle of conditioner with...other conditioners. Just seems like another cycle to me. Call me when there's a way to have curly hair that -doesn't- suck, takes no effort, or has the $50 thriven price tag (if I remember correctly).

Conditioner is cheaper, and the results are fine by me. Granted, there are people who can get by without it--I'm just not one of them. Not yet, anyway.

xoxophelia
March 30th, 2010, 07:17 PM
xoxophelia, your hair looks really shiny and beautiful! Plus I love your voice!

Thank you! Somebody actually complimented my *hair* on my singing video. That is one of the few hair compliments I get from people I know.. :)

Makes me think maybe my hair was looking dull from build up?

Blondilocks
March 30th, 2010, 07:29 PM
Wow, maybe this is what my problem is. I've been doing the curly girl method on my dd's hair for a whle and it's been working really well, but my hair just falls flat. I would much rather be all natural and not have to use sls based shampoos but other that castille (which never works for me) I'm not sure what to do if co-washing doesn't work.

I've never oiled my hair before though, what oils do you use and recommend? I have really straight hair. :o

xoxophelia
March 30th, 2010, 07:41 PM
Wow, maybe this is what my problem is. I've been doing the curly girl method on my dd's hair for a whle and it's been working really well, but my hair just falls flat. I would much rather be all natural and not have to use sls based shampoos but other that castille (which never works for me) I'm not sure what to do if co-washing doesn't work.

I've never oiled my hair before though, what oils do you use and recommend? I have really straight hair. :o

I like jojoba oil but it is a little bit more expensive. It is structurally similar to human sebum. For overnight treatments I use extra virgin olive oil with some honey in it, warmed up a little bit. I'm due for another treatment soon.

Shicurls
March 31st, 2010, 06:04 PM
Okay, I tried it today and so far so good! Good curl, good shine...... I put coconut oil and olive oil in and a bit of AO's B-5 Design Gel. I think I will be adding Catnip rinses. We'll see.

Botticelli Gold do you have any recent pictures showing your hair on shampoo and oils only?

Celebrian
May 4th, 2010, 05:04 PM
This is weird. My hair is thick but fine and halfway down my back = some oldish, dryish hair there!

I have always used conditioner after shampoo, as well as pre-shampoo - but in the last few weeks my hair was really getting too floppy from root to tip with these.

I visited Lush and got their BIG, and I Love Juicy - and set to work doing pre-wash conditioners, then shampooing my hair and just leaving it.

Result? On the whole, my hair is still silky and floppy, but has more wave. If I feel I need it, I will take a little leave-in conditioner and apply it to the oldest, driest ends.

Overall, I have to say that my hair is doing better and even looking shinier on this regime than it did back in the days when I used shampoo followed by conditioner religiously!!

Anyone else find that they don't need to use conditioner all the time (long hairs especially)?

eternallyverdan
May 4th, 2010, 05:35 PM
My routine isn't quite like yours, but I've never needed to use conditioner like most people do. I think it's related to the fact that I haven't shampooed my ends in years, so they don't have that nasty alternating dried-out/greasy thing that happens on my scalp. I'm glad you've found something that works for you, and that means one less product to buy, aka more money to spend on hairtoys! :)

ratgirldjh
May 4th, 2010, 05:42 PM
I can totally understand this. My hair pretty much hates conditioners unless I wash them out with a poo bar and I mean totally wash them out.