PDA

View Full Version : Hair-ventures

lovelylaura
October 28th, 2009, 01:20 PM
I oiled my hair liberally with coconut oil last night and CWC this morning. I applied conditioner to the ends, shampooed the top, rinsed, conditioned the ends. I was careful not to apply too much C behind my ears because last week when I didn't use oil, even after shampooing I had grease buildup behind my ears.

I seem to have an excess grease buildup on the top/back of my head and behind the ears.

Today, I put my hair half up because I have just above BSL length hair with layers, so I can't braid or do many styles because the layers stick out everywhere looking silly. But today I went and looked in the mirror and the bottom of my hair is all stringy and kind of greasy. The top looks great though :) I can't wait to get out of work and wear my hair down.

So thus, I have a few questions, "Why the grease buildup behind the ears and at the top/back of my head?" and "What are some good hairstyles for my hair?" (just above BSL with layers) I've tried researching but am having a hard time.

I am using Nature's Gate (I believe) Biotin shampoo which is very thick so I diluted it to make sure it ran through all my hair. The first time I S'd after not S'ing for 5 days I used this Paul Mitchell moisturing shampoo. My hair had an interesting texture after (I think not shampooing for a while helped my hair) but there was no grease. I think it may have been a bit dry because I remember being sad and vowed to be sure not to get any shampoo on my ends because before I S'd they were SOOOO soft and gorgeous from all the sebum.

Might as well while I'm here tell you my life story. Haha, just started taking Omega-3's because I got lazy about taking them before and still had some in the kitchen, and I bought some Biotin for only $1 at the local Shaws in the discount rack. They are not even expiring soon and are the Shaw's health food brand. So, I bought them and started taking them because I heard good things about it. I am more interested in natural/herbal remedies for my hair. I'm probably going to try and use up the S&C I have now before I think about buying anything else. I hate feeling like i'm so invested in all these manufactured products. I'm sure some of you can relate.

I am having an interesting adventure with my hair!

Coriander
October 28th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Have you checked the Articles section for hairstyles and hair care? :) There's a ton of great information there!

Happy growing! :flower:

lovelylaura
October 29th, 2009, 06:29 PM
I think I was there, I just don't think I accessed the full archives. I only found, say, 10 different hairstyles. I will have to putz around a bit more over there. Thanks!

klcqtee
October 29th, 2009, 10:57 PM
Hm. In my journal I have 30 different hairstyles (mostly updos, a couple half ups). I was doing a "wear hair up a different way every day for a month" challenge, and made that list. My hair is just barely APL, so you should be able to do all of those (you may actually be too long for a couple).

Here's the link: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?u=22651&m=10&y=2009&d=13

Those are all the ones I can do. You may also want to check out the Gibraltar bun (you may be too short still) and Spidermom's "bun that stays" (check out her album, it has instructions. She made a tutorial I believe as well.). The Lazy Wrap bun may also work for you, but I'm not positive (I'm a long way from being able to try that, so I don't know if you're too short as well).

Good luck!

klcqtee
October 29th, 2009, 11:02 PM
<double post>

lovelylaura
November 1st, 2009, 09:56 AM
Thank you I just figured out or gained the ability to see people's blogs! yay!

melikai
November 1st, 2009, 06:01 PM
Here's a link to some more instructions for different hairstyles, that Samikha was/is putting together:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?b=20139

As for the greasiness question, different parts of my scalp seem to produce different amounts of oil. If you have just started using more gentle products, then give your scalp a fair amount of time to regulate itself. You may find that your hair likes alternating CWC with SC or CO etc. It can take a while to find out what your hair does best with.

Have fun experimenting!

hmmm
November 3rd, 2009, 10:22 AM
Hm. In my journal I have 30 different hairstyles (mostly updos, a couple half ups). I was doing a "wear hair up a different way every day for a month" challenge, and made that list. My hair is just barely APL, so you should be able to do all of those (you may actually be too long for a couple).

Here's the link: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?u=22651&m=10&y=2009&d=13

Those are all the ones I can do. You may also want to check out the Gibraltar bun (you may be too short still) and Spidermom's "bun that stays" (check out her album, it has instructions. She made a tutorial I believe as well.). The Lazy Wrap bun may also work for you, but I'm not positive (I'm a long way from being able to try that, so I don't know if you're too short as well).

Good luck!

Why can't I see your blog entries? :(