PDA

View Full Version : I smell a rat

Pierre
October 28th, 2009, 07:44 AM
A few weeks ago I took the rat off the shower shelf where I've been accumulating it and put it behind my neck in the Polar Buff in preparation for winter. I noticed a smell but couldn't place it. I know the smell that results from rubbing my cheek on cloth; it's not that. It's not the smell of my hair, still on my head, either. Could it be:
*the deep base note of the patchouli in the perfume I use?
*the base note of my sebaceous smell? It's definitely not the base note of my sweat, which I know from my blanket.
*the odor of something that grows in damp showers?

halo_tightens
October 28th, 2009, 07:49 AM
Have you mentally sniffed all of the different products you ever use in the shower? Could something have been getting "splashed" in that direction? Hmmm.......

ericthegreat
October 28th, 2009, 11:54 AM
LOL, when I read this thead my first thought was uhoh is one of our members here a secret mole? LOL

Pierre, it could be an overgrowth of bacteria that naturally live on the surface of our skin and hair. When the bacteria produce their waste products, well that's the rank smell you get. You might want to gently wash it with some SLS shampoo, that might get rid of the odor.

PurpleAshes
October 28th, 2009, 01:36 PM
I'd say it has something to do with the damp shower.

Calista
October 28th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Is the smell warm or cold? Smells that are caused by mould smell cold to me. Patchouli also smells slightly mouldy to me. Skin scents tend to be warm.

Leneveu
October 28th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Could someone kindly explain to me:

what kind of rat was on the shower shelf?
what is a Polar Buff?

I'm feeling very silly :o

Talma
October 28th, 2009, 02:30 PM

what is a Polar Buff?

I'm afraid I'm feeling a bit lost here too. :confused:

luluj
October 28th, 2009, 02:30 PM

what is a Polar Buff?

ME TOO:confused:

Calista
October 28th, 2009, 02:34 PM
A rat is a wad of shed hair usually used to make one´s bun bigger.

A buff (http://www.buff.es/de/index.php?p=en) is a kind of headwear. Polar buff=fleece?

Gypsy
October 28th, 2009, 02:40 PM
Wet hair that doesn't get fully dried that continually gets wet will get a mildewy, sour smell. (ehhh, I guess that's true for anything, ha ha!)
I learned that from when I wore braid extensions and the hair that I would remove when redoing the braids would get stored, but after a while I'd notice a sour smell and would have to toss it; human hair for braiding is pricey so it was not unusual for me to reuse hair several times before throwing it out. Should have made sure it was dry before storing it.
Just wash it, then make sure it is fully dry and don't store in a damp area.

spidermom
October 28th, 2009, 02:45 PM
I think eric probably hit the nail on the head for this one.

Calista
October 28th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Eric who? :confused:

luluj
October 28th, 2009, 02:49 PM
A rat is a wad of shed hair usually used to make oneīs bun bigger.

A buff (http://www.buff.es/de/index.php?p=en) is a kind of headwear. Polar buff=fleece?

REALLY?? I continue to learn something new here at TLHC with each visit, LOL!! Is this a common practice and how do you add it to your bun???

Calista
October 28th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Is this a common practice and how do you add it to your bun???
You can also buy plastic rats, they look a bit like a shower buff/pouf/whatever you call it in English. A kind of wire netting. You drape your hair over it, so the rat is hidden, and voila - big bun! :magic: Some people prefer to harvest their own shed hair to make a rat. It looks more natural.

ETA:This (http://hairstyling.suite101.com/article.cfm/how_to_make_a_hair_rat_from_your_own_hair) might be of interest to you.

Leneveu
October 28th, 2009, 02:53 PM

Eric the Great! -

Pierre, it could be an overgrowth of either bacteria that naturally live on the surface of our skin and hair. When the bacteria produce their waste products, well that's the rank smell you get. You might want to gently wash it with some SLS shampoo, that might get rid of the odor.

REALLY?? I continue to learn something new here at TLHC with each visit, LOL!! Is this a common practice and how do you add it to your bun???

I'm glad I'm not the only clueless one about this!

luluj
October 28th, 2009, 03:02 PM
You can also buy plastic rats, they look a bit like a shower buff/pouf/whatever you call it in English. A kind of wire netting. You drape your hair over it, so the rat is hidden, and voila - big bun! :magic: Some people prefer to harvest their own shed hair to make a rat. It looks more natural.

ETA:This (http://hairstyling.suite101.com/article.cfm/how_to_make_a_hair_rat_from_your_own_hair) might be of interest to you.

Thankyou so much for the link, what an interesting concept! I can see why the "rat" could get "smelly" if kept in the damp environment of the shower stall.

ericthegreat
October 28th, 2009, 08:54 PM

Wow. Are you always this rude or do you have no sense of common courtesy at all?

Flynn
October 28th, 2009, 09:20 PM
Wow. Are you always this rude or do you have no sense of common courtesy at all?

*Eyebrow* Bit harsh there, Eric, dontcha think?

Pierre
October 29th, 2009, 07:06 AM
Is the smell warm or cold? Smells that are caused by mould smell cold to me. Patchouli also smells slightly mouldy to me. Skin scents tend to be warm.
I don't know what you mean by a warm or cold smell, but when clothes hang in the bathroom too long, they smell like rotten apples. When the apple gets a soft spot and I gouge it out with my nail and squirt it with the kitchen faucet, that's the smell. The rat doesn't smell anything like that. It smells perfumy, but not like my perfume.

As to what I use in the shower: usually a comb, scissors, a backstrap and a loofa. On henna days, henna, cloves, and amla mixed together.

Calista
October 29th, 2009, 07:28 AM
...like rotten apples...
Thatīs it, rotten apples! That is the kind of mouldy scent that smells cold to me. (Why cold? Iīm not sure. Maybe because I mentally connect it to my grandmotherīs garden shed, which was always cold and smelled exactly like that.)

SeaShell
October 29th, 2009, 08:30 AM
A rat is a wad of shed hair usually used to make oneīs bun bigger.

I am still more lost than ever...:confused: I will puzzle over this probably forever!

EvaSimone
October 29th, 2009, 08:33 AM
Is this a common practice and how do you add it to your bun???

Some people on LHC do harvest their own hair... as for it being common practice IMO no.

It took me a while to get what Pierre was talking about too.

Pierre why were you keeping your shed hair in the shower?? Most people harvest it out of their brushes and store it dry in a ziploc bag or something.

Calista
October 29th, 2009, 11:06 AM
I guess he detangles in the shower and harvests the hair from the detangling comb.

Pierre
October 29th, 2009, 03:36 PM
I am still more lost than ever...:confused: I will puzzle over this probably forever!
A Polar Buff consists of a tube of thin cloth (a regular Buff) attached to a shorter tube of thicker cloth. I wear it with the thin part covering all my scalp and the thick part around my neck. I put the rat in the thick part at the nape of my neck so that it lies on top of the shirt collar instead of leaving a chilly gap. The rest of my neck is protected by my still attached hair.

I guess he detangles in the shower and harvests the hair from the detangling comb.
Correct. I don't brush my hair.

SeaShell
October 29th, 2009, 11:07 PM
A Polar Buff consists of a tube of thin cloth (a regular Buff) attached to a shorter tube of thicker cloth. I wear it with the thin part covering all my scalp and the thick part around my neck. I put the rat in the thick part at the nape of my neck so that it lies on top of the shirt collar instead of leaving a chilly gap. The rest of my neck is protected by my still attached hair.

Correct. I don't brush my hair.

Thanks for explaining Pierre, I had never heard of this before...I actually learned something today!! I would guess that any problems are probably due to the damp from the shower...just as washcloths and anything kept wet in the shower get after a few days...I guess that can happen with hair too

Quixii
October 29th, 2009, 11:13 PM
I'd say it has something to do with the damp shower.
Me too.
My sister has this terrible habit of using wash clothes and leaving them on the floor of the shower. Of course they're clean, because they were washed before she used them and then used with just soap and water, but the next day you can smell this odd scent coming from them. I think it must be because they're left damp in the damp shower.