PDA

View Full Version : decision to chop

buttons
April 21st, 2008, 07:44 PM
Before anyone goes all :luke: on me, let me explain. I've probably mentioned that I used to do some crazy damage to my hair, to say the least. It's been:
1. bleached several times.
2. dyed more than a dozen times.
3. flat-ironed daily for a year straight
4. blowdried a few times a week for many many years
5. ripped through with hair brushes constantly

and there's probably more I can't think of right now :rolleyes:. I haven't done any of that for a year, but...the damage's been done. I've been thinking about it for a while now, and almost every single hair is split! If it isn't split, it's breaking off or just plain coming out in insane amounts. A little trim would do no good now. I think the best thing for me to do would be to go back to shoulder length, cutting off the majority of the damage (except from my ears to where my hair would be, brushing my shoulders. but I plan on trimming every few months so that'll disappear soon too.)
It took me a year to get from shoulder to BSL since my last haircut (also to get rid of damage, but I kept dying after that...I've stopped since), and it sucks that I have to give all that time up. But you're growing for quality, buttons...you're growing for quality. LOL.

I guess I'll post update pictures after I do it, wish me luck.

Riot Crrl
April 21st, 2008, 07:58 PM
Splits just gotta be cut off. Perhaps consult with the stylist and maybe you don't need quite so much off at one time as you think?

I am probably in the minority of this site, but I've told stylists a lot of things like "Take how much you think needs to come off. 4"? 5"?" and then they peer at it for a minute and say "I think you could get by with just 2"." I always hear stories like people asking for a 1" trim and getting 6", but maybe when I present it that way to them they think it is some sort of challenge, lol.

I do wish you luck and hope that you are happier with what you end up with!

BrianaFineHair
April 21st, 2008, 08:01 PM
Don't let the stylist talk you into doing something you are not comfortable with. I look forward to hearing about your results :)

Dianyla
April 21st, 2008, 08:02 PM
OK, have fun with that! :flower:

buttons
April 21st, 2008, 08:02 PM
Splits just gotta be cut off. Perhaps consult with the stylist and maybe you don't need quite so much off at one time as you think?

I am probably in the minority of this site, but I've told stylists a lot of things like "Take how much you think needs to come off. 4"? 5"?" and then they peer at it for a minute and say "I think you could get by with just 2"." I always hear stories like people asking for a 1" trim and getting 6", but maybe when I present it that way to them they think it is some sort of challenge, lol.

I do wish you luck and hope that you are happier with what you end up with!

My hair is damaged like I can't even explain. I don't think a little trim will do :cry:

Curlsgirl
April 21st, 2008, 08:07 PM
I think you'll be happy with your new healthier hair! Sometimes you just can't get around chopping that much. I went slower with an inch or 2 at a time to get rid of damage but everyone is different! Are you going to make sure you can still do a good updo or something to get it out of your way? I can't wait to see pics!

spidermom
April 21st, 2008, 08:12 PM
Your hair will grow so much faster with the damage gone. You'll be very pleased, I think. Best wishes!

BrianaFineHair
April 21st, 2008, 08:14 PM
Oh, I agree about the updo.

Mine is still too short for that and I'm in a very frustrating stage of growing my hair long. I can't do a thing with it except wear a head band. I "can" get a pony stub in but it looks funny.

Being able to do a simple updo has got to make things easier!

amaiaisabella
April 21st, 2008, 08:18 PM
Good luck!

It's a big change but your hair seems to need it. Just stay here for more inspiration to grow back long :)

Anje
April 21st, 2008, 08:25 PM
There are plenty of people on here who have gotten a pixie cut or even shaved their heads so they could start fresh with virgin hair. It's a tough decision, but if you want to be rid of damage once and for all, it's definitely the way to go. If you're not chopping off quite that much, I'd recommend making sure it's still long enough to pull into a ponytail, so you can get it out of your way when necessary.

Good luck!

brok3nwings
April 21st, 2008, 08:35 PM
i say, go for it! when hair is too damaged there is no turning back so i think it is the best decition. And soulder lengh is where many of us are right now...im one of them (just two inches more) Let us know how it turned out ;)

wintersun99
April 21st, 2008, 09:16 PM

teela1978
April 21st, 2008, 09:29 PM
I chopped to shoulder, and I didn't even have that much damage. I hated being two-toned though. If it's what you want then do it, if you're iffy on it just go a couple of inches at a time. Can you self-trim? I did a few of those before the big chop. That might help you decide.

buttons
April 21st, 2008, 09:37 PM
I did it! No regrets. Okey, so maybe I shed a few tears. But It's hard for me not to (I know its just hair, but after growing it out for a while trying really hard to baby it, getting rid of it is hard.) I'm now an inch shorter than I was at this time last year, but it's all good.
My ends feel unbelievably thick and soft :love:, so it's worth it not looking very good down (I have triangle-head :mad:)
I now have half virgin/half dyed hair (none of this hair has heat damage!)

Thanks to everyone for the support, I promise pictures will come soon. My mother: "all this time you spend obsessing about your hair and growing it out, and then you cut it all off?!" :rolleyes:

Riot Crrl
April 21st, 2008, 09:41 PM
Sometimes ya gotta cut.

It has not all been a waste of time, though. You learned what not to do, and I'm guessing many things to do.

I prefer to believe that wisdom is even more valuable than a few inches of hair.

eadwine
April 22nd, 2008, 08:36 AM
Good luck.. I did something similar YEARS ago, and my hair has benefited SO much!

Elyce
April 22nd, 2008, 08:48 AM
Congrats on a tough decision, buttons. My hair never grew till I cut it. I had dreamed of long hair my whole life, but never got it until after a major cut. As you say, no regrets.

AquaViolet1973
April 22nd, 2008, 09:56 AM
I'm glad you are OK with your haircut. You are a brave woman. And it will grow back. :)
I'm glad you are happy with your decision. I'm sure you did the right thing for you and your hair. :blossom:

willowcandra
April 22nd, 2008, 11:52 AM
Before anyone goes all :luke: on me, let me explain. I've probably mentioned that I used to do some crazy damage to my hair, to say the least. It's been:
1. bleached several times.
2. dyed more than a dozen times.
3. flat-ironed daily for a year straight
4. blowdried a few times a week for many many years
5. ripped through with hair brushes constantly

and there's probably more I can't think of right now :rolleyes:. I haven't done any of that for a year, but...the damage's been done. I've been thinking about it for a while now, and almost every single hair is split! If it isn't split, it's breaking off or just plain coming out in insane amounts. A little trim would do no good now. I think the best thing for me to do would be to go back to shoulder length, cutting off the majority of the damage (except from my ears to where my hair would be, brushing my shoulders. but I plan on trimming every few months so that'll disappear soon too.)
It took me a year to get from shoulder to BSL since my last haircut (also to get rid of damage, but I kept dying after that...I've stopped since), and it sucks that I have to give all that time up. But you're growing for quality, buttons...you're growing for quality. LOL.

I guess I'll post update pictures after I do it, wish me luck.

Sounds like a good idea! Good luck with it. You will love being able to comb through with snagging at damage.