PDA

View Full Version : ARG! hair washing woes

hennaphile
October 28th, 2009, 03:31 AM
I would LOVE to not wash my hair everyday. It takes ages to dry, I can go through conditioner way way way too fast, and my hair is much happier unwashed-- it's my scalp that's the problem.

Back in the days of yore when my hair was thick and long, I used to wash ~2-3 times a week. My scalp was a mess, as I've had scalp issues all my life, but it wasn't painful. Awhile back I tried to wash every other day. By the second day, my scalp would be flaking off, throbbing in pain, and itching like nobody's business.

I really really really wanted to stretch a wash, so I tried again yesterday. Same deal, scalp itching and flaking off, and intense pain.

Any ideas on what to do?

Tornerose
October 28th, 2009, 04:42 AM
Have you seen a dermatologist or something? Sounds like you have an irritable scalp.
Also, you can try scalp,wshing, keeping the lenght dry.

hennaphile
October 28th, 2009, 04:47 AM
You know I haven't been to a derm about this per se, but I know that medicated shampoos made it worse :p

How does one do a scalp wash, I'd love to be able to :D :flower:

Bene
October 28th, 2009, 04:50 AM
You know I haven't been to a derm about this per se, but I know that medicated shampoos made it worse :p

Scalp wash article (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=85). Your hair might be long enough for this?

pelicano
October 28th, 2009, 05:06 AM
I'm exactly the same, so I totally sympathise! The only thing I've found helpful to mine (I have seborrheic dermatitis) is glycerine. I find it great for my scalp and around my hairline. I can occasionally get away with a day off washing this way.

TheBlondeApple
October 28th, 2009, 05:09 AM

My hair is very oily, so daily scalp-washes work great for me!
I put my hair in a ponytail and then put it in a soft plastic bag which I fasten with a terrycloth ponytailholder. My hair tangles when it gets washed upside-down, so this is better.
Anja

Tornerose
October 28th, 2009, 05:10 AM

I was thinking just for the "diagnosis" :). I try to stay away from medicines etc too. But if you know exactly what you're dealing with, it's easier to find a cure. There's LOADS of sites online with cures for almost every disease imagined or real, with natural ways to cure them. But guesswork may cause more harm than good, if for instance you think it's caused by a dry scalp, and the real problem turns out to be fungus etc..

hennaphile
October 28th, 2009, 05:16 AM
Scalp wash article (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=85). Your hair might be long enough for this?

Whoa nelly that's awesome! I wish I had a tub and flexible shower head :(

I think I need an indoor hose.

Anyone found a good dry shampoo?

julliams
October 28th, 2009, 05:51 AM
I've always had issues with my scalp. I was constantly using anti dandruff products to no avail. The only thing that has eased it is that I have gone off SLS, cones and massaging my scalp with olive oil every so often. I only have little patches now that get itchy but it is so much better that I don't mind those.

Juliette

lovelylaura
October 28th, 2009, 06:09 AM
Wow, I can't imagine how painful that this is for you. I used to have severe acne and anything dealing with skin is painful. I'm sorry you are going through this. :(

I would say to go see a professional, but maybe try some of these remedies that people are suggesting. Professionals didn't necessarily help my skin problems. But then again it sounds like your scalp is SO irritated that maybe there is a fungus or another problem? I don't know.. I'm definitely not an expert nor do I have a necesarily dry or itchy/flaky scalp.

Good luck, I hope you can find a remedy to this quickly.

hennaphile
October 28th, 2009, 06:14 AM
Thanks guys :flowers:

It's fine if I wash everyday, it's just when I don't that the super horrid itchies from hell come out. I haven't used cones in about a year, and I alternate between Indian herbs and super gentle organic hippie dirt shampoo :p so I don't think it's from anything I've used. ACV rinses don't really help either. Every oil but coconut oil makes me shed, and when I use it on my scalp, I have to wash because I really don't go for the oily look hehhehe.

I'm going to see if I cant figure out a way to do the scalp washes despite a less than ideal shower set up.

And lovelylaura, I've also had severe acne, so i know what you're going through. It's no fun, and you're not alone :flowers:

pelicano
October 28th, 2009, 06:25 AM
I've tried so many things with mine. Like you, vinegar doesn't do anything for me (in fact, it makes it worse). Despite it being fungal, things like tea tree oil don't help me either. The only things I've found hepful are vitamin C (ascorbic acid) powder, but that colours the hair a bit, and I think also damaged mine, and vegetable glycerine, which I wish I'd discovered long ago.

rags
October 28th, 2009, 06:29 AM
I don't know if this will help you or not, but I get the most horrid itching, sore, flaky scalp everytime I try to go off SLS shampoo. I can go every other day on it; need to wash everyday off it (but even then after about a week it gets horrid and I have to do a SLS wash). Dunno if that helps?

jivete
October 28th, 2009, 06:48 AM
I've always had issues with my scalp. I was constantly using anti dandruff products to no avail. The only thing that has eased it is that I have gone off SLS, cones and massaging my scalp with olive oil every so often. I only have little patches now that get itchy but it is so much better that I don't mind those.

This is similar for me. My scalp cannot handle cones or SLS (or even SLS-free shampoo) or it gets very itchy. Every other wash method I've tried is fine. CO, WO, Indian Herbs or Soapnuts. I recently tried CWC with an SLS free shampoo and while my hair looked great, my scalp got itchy again.

Longlocks3
October 28th, 2009, 08:19 AM
I do scalp washes without having a detachable shower head. First I do the whole loose, low braid. Then I go find a plastic hanger. Metal probably wouldn't be a good choice in the moisture. I hang the hanger on the curtain rod(if you don't have a curtain rod, if there somewhere else you could hang it in the shower?). I attach my braid end to the curtain rod and viola!

Granted, it's not ideal and if I actually covered up my ends I would have better results but it can be done!

ETA: I ment to say I attach my braid end to the hanger that is ON the curtain rod.

MsBubbles
October 28th, 2009, 09:48 AM
I'm going to see if I cant figure out a way to do the scalp washes despite a less than ideal shower set up

Might be a stupid question - but do you have something like that in your kitchen sink?

I don't have a detachable shower head either, or one in my kitchen sink, but I am going to try this soon. I have chickened out so far because I have been afraid of ensuing tangles.

Smitts
October 28th, 2009, 10:01 AM
Maybe it is just dandruff?
Why not try some dandruff shampoo and see if that might help?

ericthegreat
October 28th, 2009, 11:41 AM
Tea tree oil is known to soothe many irritated scalps. Its a natural anti-fungal so if its a fungus that is causing your scalp troubles, that should help clear it up. You could also look for a tea tree oil shampoo and conditioner.

Another good remedy is coconut oil. Coconut oil is like a cure all for everything! Its great to cook with, its great on your skin as a moisturizer, and of course its great on your hair. For some people, using it on their scalps has also helped to relieve them of their scalp irritations.

myotislucifugus
October 28th, 2009, 11:58 AM
My hair is very oily, so daily scalp-washes work great for me!
I put my hair in a ponytail and then put it in a soft plastic bag which I fasten with a terrycloth ponytailholder. My hair tangles when it gets washed upside-down, so this is better.
Anja

Ah! Brilliant!

pelicano
October 28th, 2009, 01:32 PM
Another good remedy is coconut oil. Coconut oil is like a cure all for everything! Its great to cook with, its great on your skin as a moisturizer, and of course its great on your hair. For some people, using it on their scalps has also helped to relieve them of their scalp irritations.

Yes, that's another one I've tried. It is supposed to be good for some people though, so definitely worth a go. :) Coconut oil is anti fungal too.

MAO
October 28th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Maybe your scalp just doesn't like shampoo? I have had dandruff all my life and just within the past 4 years got eczema for the first time in my life and I found that stepping away from the harsh cleansers helped a lot. My scalp seems to like CO (have been using Suave coconut) and I have far less, if any, dandruff left. The eczema on my face also went away when I switched to Cetaphil, natural oils, and Dr. Bronners castile soap.

klcqtee
October 28th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Have you tried Head and Shoulders? Sometimes my scalp will start to hurt and itch (not to the degree or frequency of yours, luckily) and I found that if I wash with that occasionally (once or twice a month), my scalp is happy for a couple weeks.

HTH (or at least doesn't make things worse!)

viking_quest
October 28th, 2009, 02:29 PM
Might be a stupid question - but do you have something like that in your kitchen sink?

I don't have a detachable shower head either, or one in my kitchen sink, but I am going to try this soon. I have chickened out so far because I have been afraid of ensuing tangles.

I scalp wash in the kitchen sink and although I have a detachable sink head I don't use it because it sprays water everywhere. I just have to move my head around to make sure to get rid of all of the shampoo on my scalp.

Amara
October 28th, 2009, 02:33 PM
I also recommend scalp washing. I have to wash my scalp more often than my hair likes to be washed, and scalp washes work really well. I hope you find a way to do them comfortably. :)

Anje
October 28th, 2009, 03:07 PM
What are you washing with currently?

I know a lot of people who found that scalp problems went away big time when they switched to shampoo bars, or other non-sulfate things. (I'm thinking you might particularly want to look at some of the CV bars geared toward problem scalps, containing things like Neem or Nettle.)

Also, have you tried rinsing with diluted vinegar (maybe kinda strong)? That's another common cure-all for scalp issues.

Dolly
October 28th, 2009, 04:44 PM
My son has (or had) severe SD......we tried everything, including prescription meds, on his scalp, and nothing helped. I started him on Neem and Tea Tree shampoo bars from CV, and his problem is solved.....

hennaphile
October 29th, 2009, 06:02 AM
My son has (or had) severe SD......we tried everything, including prescription meds, on his scalp, and nothing helped. I started him on Neem and Tea Tree shampoo bars from CV, and his problem is solved.....

That's great to hear about your son :flower:

Unfortunately, I've tried that very bar, and to no avail. I did CO for about a year... no help. Anti dandruff shampoos, Tea Tree oil, Coconut oil, sulphur.... I just have to wash everyday or the ouchies come back :(

Henna makes them go away for about a day or two.

I may have to try vegetable glycerine.

And the idea about sink scalp washes and coathangers in the shower, man, we have some brilliant innovators on this board :D :cheese:

Thank you everyone for your suggestions! :flowers:

pelicano
October 29th, 2009, 06:07 AM
You definitely sound a lot like me (with what you've tried etc). Definitely give the vegetable glycerine a go. You've nothing to lose by it, anyway. :)

I'm loving the idea of the scalp washes, as it would make life easier! My hair is too short for it, unfortunately.