PDA

View Full Version : Vinegar Rinse

Rivanariko
October 27th, 2009, 11:38 PM
I have always had a rather "angry" scalp. I had severe cradle cap as a baby, and it roaring back as uncontrollable dandruff (which came off in chunks, oozed puss, and caused bloody welts from my scratching it) in my pre-teens. I was able to control it by over-using medicated dandruff shampoos (Nizoral) for several years, and now I can usually keep it at bay if I shampoo often. However, my hair, being very fine and delicate, really likes it when I stretch washes. I've read that an ACV rinse can help to sooth an irritated scalp by balancing the pH, so I'm thinking about trying that.

My question is, does the type of vinegar really matter? We don't have any apple cider vinegar in the house right now, but we do have rice wine vinegar. Someone in the WO thread raised a concern at the amount of sugar in that though...

What kind of dilution ratio do you recommend? Do I just pour it over my head, or do I need to scritch it into my scalp at all? Do you rinse it out afterward?

Most importantly, does anyone have experience with ACV rinses helping to sooth an irritated, dandruff-y scalp?

above_rubies
October 27th, 2009, 11:48 PM
Yes, it has most definitely helped me. It tingles/stings a little while you are using it but it's much better afterwards. I pour about 1/4 inch in the bottom of a 4 cup measuring cup and then at the end of my shower I fill it up the rest of the way with water from the shower and pour it over my head. I wait about a minute and then I rinse it with water. I use white vinegar because I found it smelled less than the apple cider vinegar.

ericthegreat
October 28th, 2009, 12:36 AM
Vinegar is strongly acidic Rivanariko. Now it can definitely be useful in helping to clarify your hair and remove buildup, but as for soothing an irritated scalp I wouldn't try that. It could end up drying your scalp even further, and in fact it could literally cause your scalp to sting and make you want to scratch even more. I also wouldn't try lemon juice or any kind of strong acid either.

There are several medicated scalp shampoos that I'm sure you are aware of, are you sure you can't give them another try? Those are specifically formulated to help with a dry or irritated scalp. I know of Neutrogena T-Gel shampoo and Selsen shampoo that have helped some people.

You could also try a tea tree oil treatment or a shampoo and conditioner that contains tea tree oil. An irritated scalp is often(not always but it is quite often cause by the overproduction of a natural fungus that grows on the human scalp). Tea tree oil is has natural anti-fungal properties and has also helped many people.

Fethenwen
October 28th, 2009, 12:42 AM
There is sugar in rice vinegar :confused: Blimey.

I also second what ericthegreat just said. It might make things worse if one has dry irritated flaky scalp.

But against oily and dandruffy scalp it may work just fine :shrug:

Rivanariko
October 28th, 2009, 12:53 AM
There's an article in the articles section, originally written by heidi w. I believe, that explains how the acid in the vinegar can help to balance the pH in your scalp and can sometimes help deal with it being, well, angry.

I've tried most of the different medicated shampoos, but not recently. Tea tree oil did nothing, but it did smell nice. T-Gel didn't touch it, Head and Shoulders made it worse, Selsun blue made no difference and kind of grossed me out. Nizoral cleared it up, but the problem with any product that I use to help with it, is that I have to use it EVERY DAY or it comes back. When I started stretching washes, everything about my very fine, very delicate hair, improved. It felt softer, it had less tangles, it was growing faster, I've gained in circumference... but my scalp is starting to show it's nasty side again, though not to the degree it did when I was younger. I really don't want that to come back though. Waking up in the morning with blood in my hair because I was scratching while sleeping was not so fun...

I really want to give WO a try, because my hair seems happier the less stuff I put on it, but I don't want to sacrifice my scalp for that.

Also, I wouldn't really say that my scalp is dry... which seems odd, since dandruff usually is related to dry skin, but... it's not. It's... I don't really know how to describe it except not-dry. Sorry.

I'm just trying to gather information right now, I like to have a good understanding of something before I try it, so don't worry, I'm not going to go dunk my head in a tub of vinegar tonight ;)

Rivanariko
October 28th, 2009, 12:54 AM
There is sugar in rice vinegar :confused: Blimey.
That's what I was told... I haven't checked though.

ericthegreat
October 28th, 2009, 01:01 AM
Ohh, I see. I'm sorry your scalp is so tempermental!
And since you have already tried out the suggestions I gave, I suppose then that using a very diluted version of an apple cider rinse might help. Remember, in this case starting out with a less concentrated formula is the way to go!

Rivanariko
October 28th, 2009, 01:12 AM
Of course! And I do really appreciate your suggestions, I hope it didn't sound like I didn't! I'm still pretty new to a lot of this real hair-care stuff, so I'm still learning!

I think my scalp and my hair just have two different personalities. My hair likes it's space. It likes being left alone and not micro-managed. My scalp, on the other hand, feels very neglected. It's needy and feels like it isn't being loved, so it's shedding itself in mourning. :D
I have a dysfunctional relationship on my head...

ericthegreat
October 28th, 2009, 01:18 AM
Oh I definitely understand, I wasn't hurt at all. :grouphug:

Again, you need to try everything out to find which treatment will best help you. So nothing is wrong in this case, you just need to do the dreaded trial and error!

Roseate
October 28th, 2009, 02:18 AM
My question is, does the type of vinegar really matter? We don't have any apple cider vinegar in the house right now, but we do have rice wine vinegar. Someone in the WO thread raised a concern at the amount of sugar in that though...

What kind of dilution ratio do you recommend? Do I just pour it over my head, or do I need to scritch it into my scalp at all? Do you rinse it out afterward?

Most importantly, does anyone have experience with ACV rinses helping to sooth an irritated, dandruff-y scalp?

I have a similarly angry scalp, and an ACV rinse is always my first option to calm it down. It helps. Doesn't always make it go away immediately, but usually keeps it from advancing to the really gnarly scabby place.

I use 1 tablespoon/cup of water, and I usually add a drop of tea tree oil and a drop of lavender oil per cup also. I put it in a bottle with a squirt top so I can squeeze it directly on my scalp; I get it all over my scalp, let it sit a little, do a gentle scalp massage and rinse.

Rice wine vinegar does contain sugar. I wouldn't use that. But other vinegars are ok, lots of people use plain white vinegar.

ChloeDharma
October 28th, 2009, 04:25 AM
Have you tried scalp oiling? Some oils are powerfull anti-fungals, jojoba and neem are the ones that immediately spring to mind, coconut also has anti-fungal properties.
Calendula might be something to try too, especially when the scalp is sore and irritated.
Vinegar is an old remedy for fungal infections, of course diluting it would be wise. You can always make the dilution very weak to start with, see how that feels and if it doesn't sting then make it a little stronger.
The other benefit of using vinegar, you could apply it to your scalp (diluted) with cotton wool between washes, that way your scalp gets attention without having to wash the length.

lovelylaura
October 28th, 2009, 07:13 AM
Let us know how it goes, whatever you try. I'm curious about vinegar rinses as well because my scalp seems to be a bit dry and itchy. No flakes, scabbing, or bleeding though. But its annoying...