PDA

View Full Version : Wwyd? (Layers question)

mommy101405
April 21st, 2008, 07:35 PM
First I'll start my saying my current goal is BSL. Mainly one length, maybe some layering. Blunt hemline.

My overall length hits my shoulders but I have bangs and layers starting at mid ear length.

Should I let it all grow out and even up the length when I get to BSL? Maintain shoulder length while the layers grow out. Cut to a chin length bob and let to get rid of the majority of the layers? Other?

WritingPrincess
April 21st, 2008, 07:40 PM
It's been a long time since my hair was that short, but I think what I would do would be to trim small amount regularly, rather than one big chop. You could maintain at SL for awhile, you could trim half of your growth off each month, there are other options. I know I'd like to get rid of my ex-bangs, but I don't have the guts to cut back to WL for that. Since I trim quite irregularly, they are creeping up on the rest of my hair ssllloooowwwlllyyy. I hope you find something that works for your hair.

Lamb
April 21st, 2008, 07:44 PM
If I were you, I wouldn't even up until it gets abso-bloomin'-lootely unbearable. That is, only you know whether it would make it easier for you to cut to a chin length bob now, rather than wait until you get to BSL. Depending on your growth rate, it might cause a major setback for you. (I had to get a big trim recently, but the cause was damage - now I am all-one-length, except for some naturally shorter strands.)

Wait and see how you can cope with layers at this point. Do they make updos/other styles very difficult? Does your hemline look scraggly/see-through?

Don't even up unless you are completely dissatisfied with the overall look of your hair.

Riot Crrl
April 21st, 2008, 07:47 PM
Yeah, cut 'em when they bug you.

Curlsgirl
April 21st, 2008, 08:11 PM
I did mine gradually and if I can keep growing my bangs out I will do the same later with them. Mine blended in well though because of the curls. I still have some long ones at the ends I just noticed the other day and didn't even know it! Maybe you should not cut too much at once but a bit at a time mght be easier.

Anje
April 21st, 2008, 08:30 PM
I'd say keep going, at least for now, until you can no longer keep the splits at bay. Alternatively, you can cut half your growth every month or two, which will allow the layers to catch up over time while still letting you gain length.

spidermom
April 21st, 2008, 08:33 PM
Just trim whenever the ends get impossible or the whole mess is so shapeless that you can't do a thing with it. 1/2 inch can make a big difference; no need for a big cut (except damage or irresistable desire for a different style).

maskedrose
April 21st, 2008, 09:30 PM
I started exactly where you are now, except I'm wavier. My advice would be to just leave them be for now - they will be a royal pain in the arse until APL or thereabouts (maybe sooner for you since you are straight and the layers shouldn't poof as much as mine did), but once you get past that milestone they're not too much of a bother. I'm planning on getting to waist and maintaining there, but if BSL is your goal then you're better off than me on the time scale! You will be to BSL before you know it, trust me :)

missy60
April 21st, 2008, 10:20 PM
Just trim whenever the ends get impossible or the whole mess is so shapeless that you can't do a thing with it. 1/2 inch can make a big difference; no need for a big cut (except damage or irresistable desire for a different style).

I totally agree with this, it was going to be exactly my advice. You also mentioned in your post that BSL was your goal with some layers so why even worry about cutting them out. I would just let it grow and if you want to get some of them cut out when you get BSL thats always an option. I have layers and they are so much easier to deal with the longer my hair gets actually. I do sometimes get a microtrim on my layers also and it makes my hair so much more manageable, because they will get straggly also.

nate
April 21st, 2008, 10:21 PM
First I'll start my saying my current goal is BSL. Mainly one length, maybe some layering. Blunt hemline.

My overall length hits my shoulders but I have bangs and layers starting at mid ear length.

Should I let it all grow out and even up the length when I get to BSL? Maintain shoulder length while the layers grow out. Cut to a chin length bob and let to get rid of the majority of the layers? Other? I was in your situation a few months ago. It only gets better/easier to deal with from this point onwards, so I would refrain from cutting at all and just let things grow. Maintaining at shoulder length is always an option, but you might regret it because it will take you more time to get more length.

I wouldn't cut back existing hairs, because you'll still be facing the same problems as you are now, only with all your hairs involved instead of some of them.

paper
April 22nd, 2008, 06:38 AM
I'm where you are right now. What I did was let my back get little past my shoulders. I had an inch cut off the back and my hair is resting on my shoulders now. I have about an inch of layers left on the back and the sides are shorter layers. I'm going to wait about 4 months and get another inch off the back. All the layers in the back should be gone then. Then, I'm going to keep cutting the back every few months back to shoulder length. Until I get all 1 length. Anyways, thats my plan :)