PDA

View Full Version : Purple Streaks?

CindyLea1
October 27th, 2009, 08:05 PM
I have a bottle of Creative Image Adore hair color in Violet Gem. The color swatch was shiny and VERY purple. Yes, I know it was on white hair. And I plan on running a test on hair from my hair brush tonight. This is a deposit only hair color. No alcohol, peroxide, or ammonia. Dump some in a bowl, brush on, let set, rinse.

I'm thinking this will last about a month or so.

I'm wanting to put streaks in my blond hair. I'm not sure if I want a couple thick chunks from the crown/part and a couple from mid-scalp; or if I want a lot of tiny streaks all over like highlights. What do you folks think?

Any tips or tricks would help, also. I'm planning on using tinfoil from my kitchen to keep the dyed parts from touching the rest of my hair and bleeding. But, I worry about it bleeding when I rinse.

Maddy25
October 27th, 2009, 08:08 PM
I have had pretty much every colour highlight. The tinfoil is a good idea and tie the rest of the hair back. To prevent the bleeding, when you take the foils out, rinse just the dyed parts in the sink until the colour runs completely clear. This should be good. If you are really nervous you can even do a little bit of shampoo before you put it with the rest of your hair to remove a bit of the colour that may bleed out.

Amara
October 27th, 2009, 10:10 PM
I would do some of the underlayer as a streak. That way you can do it a bit away from the roots - it will make the "bleeding" issue easier to deal with as you can wrap the hair easier and also rinse it seperately easier.

CindyLea1
October 27th, 2009, 10:41 PM
Maddy25-- Thanks for the shampoo tip. Do I put the shampoo on the dyed parts, or the natural parts?? Would slimeing the natural parts in conditioner, or Coconut oil, or Olive oil help reduce bleeding?

Amara- Are you talking underlayer, like nape and up the scalp a couple inches or so. So, that the color is only under all my hair and peaks out at the sides and the bottom of updo's?

Quixii
October 27th, 2009, 11:12 PM
I've been planning on doing some purple high lights. I've also done purple (and other colour) streaks in the past.
I never had an issue with bleeding. Part of that was I did my best to keep the not-dyed hair back, and part of that was, well, if you have to leave it on for half an hour to get it to set, do you really think a tiny bump while you're rinsing it out will make it stained as well? :shrug:

Flynn
October 27th, 2009, 11:16 PM
Maddy25-- Thanks for the shampoo tip. Do I put the shampoo on the dyed parts, or the natural parts?? Would slimeing the natural parts in conditioner, or Coconut oil, or Olive oil help reduce bleeding?

Manic Panic recommend sliming the bits you aren't dyeing with conditioner before you dye to reduce bleeding. ^__^ Tried this when doing some test-streaks of black, and I don't seem to have had a problem... O.o

CindyLea1
October 30th, 2009, 11:43 PM
Hmmm...Here I sit for another half hour. Petroleum Jelly on my hair line...5 balls of tinfoiled purple hair wrapped up. Most of the rest slimed in conditioner. I did 3 good sized chunks in my bangs, and 2 in the underneath layers, on each side. If this works out I'm going to have a friend come over and add a few more for good measure! :eyebrows:

I remembered to have Hubby take before pictures.:p And I'll have him take some afters in the morning and I'll be sure to post them.

CindyLea1
October 31st, 2009, 07:49 PM
And here is the results of this experiment.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2256&pictureid=54115

I like it, but I think next go I'm going to use a blowdryer to heat it up a titch. and I'm having a friend come over and do the top layers too.

little_acorn
October 31st, 2009, 09:44 PM
NICE :D - love purple :D

Fractalsofhair
October 31st, 2009, 10:38 PM
Nice results! I love using tinfoil personally. Conditioner doesn't actually prevent the color from depositing, it just dilutes it(IME), and creates a toner as opposed to a real color.

CindyLea1
October 31st, 2009, 10:46 PM
Thank you for the compliments.

I used the conditioner on the undyed parts..I guess it ended up being a deep treatment and a dye job.

I liked the tinfoil..But it was hell trying to figure out how to use it on my own head. That is why I need help next go.

skydancer7
November 1st, 2009, 03:10 AM
I did this very thing a couple of years ago; eggplant purple streaks put in like "highlights". It looked awesome!!! It did fade out to a slightly pinkish tone after awhile, but still looked great. I think you and I have the same haircolor, too.

Go for it!

ETA: Oh look, that's what I get for posting before being up-to-date :) Well it turned out great! Very fun.