PDA

View Full Version : Haircut advice

FB
October 27th, 2009, 04:28 PM
I have been growing my hair for I think 3 1/2 years. THis past June I cut off a good inch and a half and I am already seeing little white dots. Therefore, I am assuming it is time for a trim. Should I trim it really soon or do you think I can go longer?? If I do go longer will it cause more damage?? If I do trim how much is enough to trim to effectively get the white dots gone?? I do not want to cut that much because I am going for tail bone length and I am currently at my waist.

spidermom
October 27th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Try putting your fingers on either side of the little white dots and pulling gently. If they come apart with very little effort, better to trim than have them break off that way, leaving ragged ends that split easily. If they don't pop apart readily, you can leave it for awhile.

Also, if you can feel a difference in the texture near the ends, best trim. If your hair feels pretty much the same from scalp to ends, you can wait.

All of this, of course, is only my opinion and how I evaluate my own hair. You can do it however you like.

manderly
October 27th, 2009, 04:41 PM
You can also do some intensive search & destroy (S&D) and snip the damaged hairs out, prolonging the time between trims :)

pinchbeck
October 27th, 2009, 07:20 PM
If you grew your hair for over three years without a trim than maybe your initial 1.5" trim wasn't enough. The longest I have grown my hair is for 1.5 years and I noticed splits that traveled up a few inches from the bottom of my hair. However, they weren't one big split, but rather little splits kind of like needles on a pine tree!

You could either take 1/2" off and see if that works or search and destroy as another person said providing the white dots do not monopolize your hemline. Or...you could try dusting (I haven't tried that yet) each month to get rid of them slowly while adding length. Split ends suck! And while you're at it try to incorporate oiling your ends if you don't already do so.

GoldLady
October 27th, 2009, 07:30 PM
You can also do some intensive search & destroy (S&D) and snip the damaged hairs out, prolonging the time between trims :)

I would go this route as I find those dots and splits cause tangling and then I lose more hair or destroy more ends. They've got to go.

I would deep condition afterward and oil the ends or use something like Nightblooming's Panacea hair salve (http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5131346&section_id=5427870) regularily (or whatever you find works for you) to stave off those nasty bits as long as possible.

FB
October 27th, 2009, 08:36 PM
Thanks for the advice. I am not good at S&D because I get carried away and do more damage then good. What about dusting??? Or shouls I just trim???

ericthegreat
October 27th, 2009, 08:43 PM
FB, if you are already seeing white dots then yes, the split ends are very noticeable and the accumulated damage is there. You have two options. If they really don't bother you, you can leave them alone and let yourself have fairy tale ends that naturally thin out. There is nothing wrong with this, there are many members here that like naturally thinner, tapering ends.

But, if they do bother you than you can either trim them yourself by doing S&D or have someone trim them for you. If you choose to S&D, take small sections of your hair, twist them gently and any split ends that you see popping out, cut them with sharp haircutting scissors.

FB
October 28th, 2009, 08:38 AM
Thanks I will try S&D to see if that will help my hair to stop bugging me but I am afraid I might just have to chop some off!!! I like the blunt end look.