PDA

View Full Version : Finger combing has changed my life!

iluvmy67cuda
April 21st, 2008, 06:46 PM
Since my latest complaints of broken, uneven hairs and my hair just being wonky in general, i've stoped using ANY tools in my hair. No more wooden comb, no more bbb. Im only finger combing WHEN DRY, and its made my hair look 1000% better!! I've still got ends sticking out from new growth, but this has sure made a huge difference in my hair !! YAY. I just wanted to share this small victory with you LOL:cheese:

Shanarana
April 21st, 2008, 06:49 PM
Awesome, I wonder if I could do that with curly (wavy) hair. I would love to not use any tools in my hair, but after a shower I feel I've got to at least give it a comb through once.

EdG
April 21st, 2008, 06:56 PM
Cool! I only finger-untangle. It's gentle but time-consuming. :)
Ed

Euphony
April 21st, 2008, 06:56 PM
I'm so happy for you! I've been thinking about doing something similar to entice my waves - ie only finger combing on non wash days - I still feel I need to comb on wash days though.

AntiHairSlave
April 21st, 2008, 07:02 PM
Great! Happy combing!

Dianyla
April 21st, 2008, 07:03 PM
I switch back and forth, depending on the day. Right after washing my waves are best preserved by only finger-detangling. So the first 1-3 days after washing I try to only use my hands to detangle.

After that, I need to switch to a comb or a brush to get lint/dust/random objects out of my hair. Especially if it's been more than a week since a full-length wash, and especially if I've been outdoors a lot. Also, sometimes (depending on the humidity or the dampness of my hair) my hands are too sticky and high-friction to effectively detangle my hair.

Before washing, I always need to do a very thorough brushout, massage my scalp, and brush out again. This is in order to remove as many sheds as possible before washing. If I don't do this, the about-to-fall-out hairs will come out during washing, and cause serious tangles when my hair is wet.

When I do brush, I've found a Denman nylon pin brush to be the most gentle and effective at penetrating thick hair. For cleaning debris out of already-detangled hair, a BBB works well but should be used sparingly.

Curlsgirl
April 21st, 2008, 07:08 PM
I usually finger comb also except when I comb in the shower with conditioner on my hair. It takes forever now to comb when dry without breaking my hair as I do it. I can see why people wear updos more at waist length and beyond.

I am so glad you are happy with your new discovery!

WritingPrincess
April 21st, 2008, 07:42 PM
Congratulations! I recently switched to a comb, and it made such a big difference. I finger comb when I don't have a comb handy, though.

MeganS
April 21st, 2008, 07:51 PM
Congratulations! I tried to go all finger-comb early on, but found I didn't have the patience to do it in a non-damaging manner.

Pat
April 21st, 2008, 08:21 PM
I´m glad you can do that. In my case, if I don´t use a wide toothed comb with conditioner on I cannot detangle without pulling half of my hair off. I wish I could go for the finger combing ... a lot more gentle on the hair!

Qwerty Uiop
April 21st, 2008, 08:34 PM
Isn't finger combing incredible? I've been tool-free since about a week after whenever it says I opened my account here and I swear, my hair hardly tangles at all and the time it takes to get presentable for leaving the house has decreased dramatically. I've also discovered that what I thought was "string straight" hair for my whole adult life actually has quite a nice wave to it.

I was raised with "brush your hair 100 strokes before bed every night" so it was kind of hard to accept how much damage the tools were doing until I tried going without. I also saw a very fast and dramatic increase in length after I ditched the brush for a comb and then quickly ditched the comb for my fingers.

I still miss the sensation of brushing and had to be talked down from buying a brush for ds2 "just for fun". I'd rather wait for the fun of having another long haired son and in the meantime I just pet his hair as if he were a dog or cat. ;)

spidermom
April 21st, 2008, 08:48 PM
I'm happy for you. My hands must be rough or something because I find that I drag out more hairs with my fingers than I do with my wooden or shower comb. My hair is much shorter, but I have similar issues and solutions with my hair as Dianyla.

Dianyla
April 22nd, 2008, 07:21 PM
I'm happy for you. My hands must be rough or something because I find that I drag out more hairs with my fingers than I do with my wooden or shower comb. My hair is much shorter, but I have similar issues and solutions with my hair as Dianyla.
Spidermom - I wonder if it's related to our climate at all? Also, you and I have similar hair texture...

Suldrun
April 22nd, 2008, 07:25 PM
Spidermom and Dianyla I have been finger combing since I found this site ( January I think) and I break way less hairs then regular combing or brushing but I am going to be getting a seamless wooden comb because I feel lots of friction when I detangle. I have not typed my hair yet :( Lazy lazy me but I wonder if thats related?