PDA

View Full Version : CO 101 question

ladiosaRosa
October 27th, 2009, 08:24 AM
I have a goodly amount of Nexxus Humectress and Mane & Tail conditioners. I'm not thrilled with these as my second, richer conditioners when I CO. I like to use WREB and will settle for certain VO5's for the wash part of my CO but I'm wondering what the results would be if I washed with the Nexxus or Mane & Tail? I just want to use 'em up.

I've been COing exclusively since I joined TLHC and I should probably just go ahead and try this but it's more fun to come here and get feedback.

Thanks!

RancheroTheBee
October 27th, 2009, 12:10 PM
I've never used Nexxus, but I washed for a very long time with Mane N' Tail with a lot of success. Since it was fairly runny and lathered pretty well, it was not all that different from using an SLS-free shampoo for me. The only reason I don't use Mane N' Tail is because I used my weekly hair allowlance on Monistat. :p And jojoba. And shea butter.

ladiosaRosa
October 27th, 2009, 01:13 PM
I've never used Nexxus, but I washed for a very long time with Mane N' Tail with a lot of success. Since it was fairly runny and lathered pretty well, it was not all that different from using an SLS-free shampoo for me. The only reason I don't use Mane N' Tail is because I used my weekly hair allowlance on Monistat. :p And jojoba. And shea butter.

All right then! thanks for the feedback, RancheroTheBee. Next CO.....I wash with Mane&Tail!

Sissy
October 27th, 2009, 01:53 PM
well, the conditioner Mane N Tail contains wax and protein right? If your hair OK with that it might work for CO. Personally, I didn't like Mane N' Tail and it would not work for CO washing on my hair. However, that doesn't mean it won't work for you.

ladiosaRosa
October 27th, 2009, 02:54 PM
well, the conditioner Mane N Tail contains wax and protein right? If your hair OK with that it might work for CO. Personally, I didn't like Mane N' Tail and it would not work for CO washing on my hair. However, that doesn't mean it won't work for you.

I was very unimpressed by Mane N Tail and the wax ingredient did cross my mind, Sissy. I'm encouraged by RancheroTheBee's observation however, that she got it to lather up. I'll just have to take the plunge and give it a try. I'll report back here on my results.

Thank you, Sissy.

Now, I need some feedback on the Nexxus. Anyone......??!!?

Shermie Girl
October 27th, 2009, 03:28 PM
I have tried Nexxus Humectress (didn't care for it, myself...) and IMO, it is a bit thick and rich for CO washing. Maybe you could mix it with a thinner, less rich conditioner for CO, ala Carolyn's Co mixes. :)

If it doesn't work for CO, you can use it for shaving. :D

Sissy
October 28th, 2009, 07:33 AM
I was very unimpressed by Mane N Tail and the wax ingredient did cross my mind, Sissy. I'm encouraged by RancheroTheBee's observation however, that she got it to lather up. I'll just have to take the plunge and give it a try. I'll report back here on my results.

Thank you, Sissy.

Now, I need some feedback on the Nexxus. Anyone......??!!?

I've never tried Nexxus but look forward to hearing how you like the Mane N Tail. Like Shermie Girl said... you could always use them for shaving if they don't work out for anything else :)

lindenblossom
October 28th, 2009, 05:25 PM
I am currently using Mane n' Tail for CO and it is working really well!

Cinnamon Hair
October 28th, 2009, 06:46 PM
For me the results would be a greasy looking scalp and maybe itchiness and flakes to go along with it. I haven't tried using those two conditioners in particular on my scalp, but that was my experience with other "good" conditioners. For CO to work my scalp conditioner has to be very runny, cone free, and easy to rinse. Doesn't hurt to try it and find out though. The worst that could happen is you need to wash again.

Or you could try using the conditioners in place of shaving gel. Or cover your hair with an ungodly amount of them for a deep conditioning treatment.

Silver Strands
October 28th, 2009, 07:22 PM

Mane 'n Tail contains "emulsifying wax" which isn't actually a wax in the sense that you're thinking of.
It allows other ingredients to blend together properly to improve texture and consistency.
Cetearyl alcohol and polysorbate 60 are found in many conditioners and are also considered "emulsifying wax".

I like Mane 'n Tail shampoo and conditioner but haven't used the conditioner yet for CO.
I think it would be a good one.

ladiosaRosa
October 29th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Well, I bit the bullet and CO washed with the Nexxus Humectress, last night. I don't consider it a real 'test' because I have two CO's worth of 'cones on my hair and I'd like to try washing with Nexxus again after I clarify.

Anyway, The pump on that great big bottle is awfully nice. It was like pulling teeth to get it to lather. I didn't look into a mirror and so maybe it never did lather. Also, I couldn't get an easy "squeek" out of my hair. But, that started happening two CO's ago when I used 'cones. I proceeded like usual. To 'finish up', I used less than 1/4 cup Shakai conditioner (I want to get rid of that one, too) with less than 1/4 tsp of the 'coney Caviar condish.

This morning, my hair was still damp from being in an overnight bun. I put it up into 4 pincurls and will take it down as I arrive at my evening destination.

I've never tried Nexxus but look forward to hearing how you like the Mane N Tail. Like Shermie Girl said... you could always use them for shaving if they don't work out for anything else :)

:blush: Don't do the leg shaving thing anymore; they're almost hairless andalways covered these days. Comes with age. Hope I'm not offending anyone. See above for Nexxus results for me.

I am currently using Mane n' Tail for CO and it is working really well!
Goody, I won't get to it for 2-3 CO's but I'm now looking forward to trying it. Thank you lindenblossom.

For me the results would be a greasy looking scalp and maybe itchiness and flakes to go along with it. I haven't tried using those two conditioners in particular on my scalp, but that was my experience with other "good" conditioners. For CO to work my scalp conditioner has to be very runny, cone free, and easy to rinse. Doesn't hurt to try it and find out though. The worst that could happen is you need to wash again.

Or you could try using the conditioners in place of shaving gel. Or cover your hair with an ungodly amount of them for a deep conditioning treatment.
Nice to 'see' you again, Cinnamon Hair. I make it a point to not get any conditioner on my scalp when either CO washing or conditioning.....especially when it sits on my hair for 15 minutes +.
Of course, when I lather up my washing condish with, it does touch my scalp but it's diluted by then and not sitting for minutes or hours at a time.

Mane 'n Tail contains "emulsifying wax" which isn't actually a wax in the sense that you're thinking of.
It allows other ingredients to blend together properly to improve texture and consistency.
Cetearyl alcohol and polysorbate 60 are found in many conditioners and are also considered "emulsifying wax".

I like Mane 'n Tail shampoo and conditioner but haven't used the conditioner yet for CO.
I think it would be a good one.
Thank you for your input, Silver Strands. I would be hard pressed to find a conditioner that didn't contain Cetearyl alcohol and polysorbate 60, for sure. Even some of what they call the 'natural' ones. I've given up.

ladiosaRosa
October 29th, 2009, 07:57 PM
I think I'm pleased with my Nexxus results. I took the 4 pincurls down, turned my head upside down, barely fingercombed, left my hair down all night and 4 hours later my waves are relaxed but there is still definition instead of it all melding into one, non- descript mass. That's never happened.

When I CO with non-cone condish's, I can go 5 days easily before I CO again. I have a feeling that I'll not be able to stretch this CO out for 5 days but that might have more to do with the tiny amount of cone condish that I used rather than the Nexxis wash.

I'll report on results when I CO again and don't use cones to finish up.

lindenblossom
October 29th, 2009, 08:38 PM
Hey, thanks for the update! Let us know how the Nexxus works for you, and how long it lasts before you need to CO again.

Just wanted to add that when I CO with Mane n' Tail, I dilute it and shake it up a bit to get it runnier and foamier (and to make the bottle last longer). For me, this conditioner definitely lathers a bit and "squeaks" (but not *too* much).

Take care!

ladiosaRosa
October 30th, 2009, 08:27 AM
Hey, thanks for the update! Let us know how the Nexxus works for you, and how long it lasts before you need to CO again.

Just wanted to add that when I CO with Mane n' Tail, I dilute it and shake it up a bit to get it runnier and foamier (and to make the bottle last longer). For me, this conditioner definitely lathers a bit and "squeaks" (but not *too* much).

Take care!

Thanks for the additional Mane N Tail info. All input is helpful.

I went to bed with 4 pincurls, spray misted each section with water, before I wound it up. This morning, nice wave definition with potential to do as well as last night (long term wave definition). However, I think that what I like for the lower half of my 33 inch length,....my ends..... I don't care for for the upper half or 'root-to-ear' length . That's the area that makes me think I need to CO, getting that 'greasy' look. So, after I eliminate the 'cone element in this experiment, perhaps it's going to be worthwhile to somehow incorporate the Nexxus on the ends of my hair when I CO wash and not the upper. Might be a bit of a bother/juggling act but for this wave definition, I'm willing to try.

OK, I'll be back in about a week after I clarify. Have a nice day.

ladiosaRosa
November 13th, 2009, 09:17 AM
OK, here's the latest conclusions I've come to with regard to COing with Nexxus Humectress.

First of all, it does get my hair clean and rinses out so I can 'squeeze' a squeek out of it (my measurement for what I call 'clean'). It gives a super shine to my hair. However, (and this is a big one for me) I don't like how that shine looks at my crown hairs.....the hairline around my face. On DD1, though hair feels clean, it 'looks' like it's on the verge of greasy. It only looks 'good' for a couple of hours right after the CO (if I can even get it dried by then). I tried to CO by using my WREB on upper length and Humectress on lower length by it just didn't work; sneaky Humectress worked it's way higher up on my length.

I'm not ready to trash the stuff; I'll try using it as a co-finishing conditioner on the tippy, 2-3" of my ends.....no higher up.

I havent tried COing with the Mane 'n Tail yet but will report on that soon-ish.

Silver Strands
November 13th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Looking forward to hearing your results on the Mane 'n Tail.

I have some and may try it for a CO myself.

Edited to Add:
I CO'ed with the Mane 'n Tail yesterday followed by Sally's GVP "Biolage" Conditioning Balm.
My hair turned out the best it's ever been.
I loved the results. Super soft but full of body.

Hope it works just as well for you.

ladiosaRosa
November 24th, 2009, 12:00 PM
Looking forward to hearing your results on the Mane 'n Tail.

I have some and may try it for a CO myself.

Edited to Add:
I CO'ed with the Mane 'n Tail yesterday followed by Sally's GVP "Biolage" Conditioning Balm.

Hope it works just as well for you.

Thanks for the Mane 'n Tail feedback, Silver Strands. The very next time I CO, it will be with Mane 'n Tail and I'll post my results.

I've just about exhausted my experimenting with the Humectress, deciding that I will use it from time to time, as a second, richer conditioner on my hemline but, not use it to CO as I can't keep it away from my crown hair which is important or, my hair looks dirty/oily in two days. It's been serving me well using as I now do.

lindenblossom
November 25th, 2009, 11:57 AM

It's the same for me...the Mane n' Tail CO makes my hair the nicest it's ever been. Another great conditioner for me was from an inexpensive Russian line I used to use in Russia and Latvia...but since I don't think I can easily get it in the States, the Mane n' Tail works just wonderfully. Also, to the best of my knowledge the company (Straight Arrow) does not test on animals, unlike other companies that make conditioners popular for CO.

mira-chan
November 25th, 2009, 12:51 PM
It's the same for me...the Mane n' Tail CO makes my hair the nicest it's ever been. Another great conditioner for me was from an inexpensive Russian line I used to use in Russia and Latvia...but since I don't think I can easily get it in the States, the Mane n' Tail works just wonderfully. Also, to the best of my knowledge the company (Straight Arrow) does not test on animals, unlike other companies that make conditioners popular for CO.
What was the Russian line called? You can get many of them in the pharmacies (Apteka) where I am.

lindenblossom
November 27th, 2009, 10:31 PM
What was the Russian line called? You can get many of them in the pharmacies (Apteka) where I am.

Thanks, mira-chan!

It's the brand "Chistaya Linia" and there is a nettles (крапива) conditioner from the line that works great for CO.

Hmmm...I wonder if there are any real apteki where I live too.