PDA

View Full Version : A question on hair trimming.

Smitts
October 27th, 2009, 05:42 AM
Around 3 months I let my friend trim half an inch off.
My hair is wavy so in order to make sure it is cut evenly I allow her to straighten it with a hair straightener.
I was wondering if that is okay to do once every 3 months.

I never use hair dryers or any other heat products besides when she trims my hair.

MissMay
October 27th, 2009, 05:50 AM
Well, 4x a year probably won't do too much damage, so long as it's on a low setting, you've used some sort of heat protectant and you don't hold the straightners on for too long. Could she not try cutting it wet? I know that's what my hairdresser did so it was straighter and easier to cut.

goddesslynne
October 27th, 2009, 07:14 AM
I will just tell my little flat-iron story: a few years ago I was gifted with a professional Chi flat iron, I used it exactly twice, and it took almost a year for my hair to recover. I will run screaming if anyone comes at me with a flat iron again!!

Kaijah
October 27th, 2009, 07:20 AM
I'm too paranoid for that, heh. Personally, I just cut my hair wet since it ends up almost entirely straight, and the waves will hide any minor imperfections once it's dry again, anyway.

Smitts
October 27th, 2009, 07:20 AM
Hm, what would you all say t me flat ironing it one more time for a trim. Then just looking for split ends myself and cutting them off as I see them?

Regardless, I'll ask her to do a wet trim this time and see if she can.

Thanks for the answers!

Maddy25
October 27th, 2009, 07:28 AM
Honestly, I flat iron my hair once evry few months when Im going to a club or something with my friends and want to look a little extra nice, it all depends on the type of hair you have, for me, the occasional heat does not make any difference to my hair. It all depends on how your hair feels after.

JamieLeigh
October 27th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Honestly? If you believe your hair can handle it, go for it if your friend doesn't feel capable of a wet trim. I personally wouldn't trust heat styling on my head, since my texture falls on the fine side of medium. I'd be too afraid of damage, and I've worked too hard to keep it this long and split-free.

Madame J
October 27th, 2009, 09:31 AM
I had a boyfriend with 3b hair (curly corkscrews) and I was able to trim his hair (just past shoulder length when dry) evenly by doing it wet (and I'm neither a professional hair-person, nor particularly coordinated). There's no need to flat iron your hair just for a trim, so maybe you should save the ironing for really special occasions when you reeeeeally want your hair straight and shiny. Seems like if your friend insists that she "has" to iron it, you might consider Feye's self-trim method.

Shermie Girl
October 27th, 2009, 09:53 AM
I also have wavy hair. My husband does my trims for me with my hair wet. By combing it straight and working quickly but carefully, he can give me a very precise, even trim. No flat iron required.

And no, he isn't a hairstylist. :D

missmagoo
October 27th, 2009, 09:57 AM
I agree, I'd save the flatironing for a special occasion/going out over using for just a trim.

I have 2b hair and the only time my stylist cuts it dry is to touch-up my bangs/front layers- the rest is done wet.

spidermom
October 27th, 2009, 10:11 AM
It depends on your hair. If it's dry, you use a heat-protective spray, and the flat iron is only passed down each strand once, your hair will probably be all right. On the other hand, why not cut it wet with leave-in conditioner (which will make it easier to comb out)? With curly hair, it's not like the hem has to be absolutely even.