PDA

View Full Version : Dreadlocks, round 2!

kwaniesiam
October 26th, 2009, 10:25 PM
Yeah, you heard me. Round 2. Last time wasn't sectioned properly and I've learned a lot about general care and techniques since then, so hopefully this set will go better. It's late and I'm a fuzzball currently, pictures tomorrow of before, during, and after. Very happy with the way this set turned out :joy:

Islandgrrl
October 26th, 2009, 10:47 PM
Can't wait to see, Kwanie!! I hope you love them this time!

.Amanaka.
October 26th, 2009, 11:30 PM
Yay! I've always loved the way that dreadlocks look on other people, but they would drive my OCD nuts, so I never got them. May I look forward to living vicariously through you?

little_acorn
October 26th, 2009, 11:58 PM
oooh I'm looking forward to those photos - good luck for the dreading process :D

terryn
October 27th, 2009, 12:00 AM
Also looking forward to pictures!

fluffybunny
October 27th, 2009, 01:41 AM
Another vicarious dread admirer here. Love the look, but not nearly patient or brave enough to ever do it myself.

magpielaura
October 27th, 2009, 03:01 AM
Oooh looking forward to seeing it!

redneckprincess
October 27th, 2009, 05:33 AM
I need to know how these are done...on a wig for a play i will be in

Vivien'
October 27th, 2009, 06:19 AM
How brave you are ! :)
I want to see pics ! Hope it will be good.

paperwhite
October 27th, 2009, 06:26 AM
Good luck! I can't wait to see pictures of this set!

enfys
October 27th, 2009, 01:32 PM
Ooh how exciting! I want to look at them enviously and admiringly too.

MandaMom2Three
October 27th, 2009, 01:38 PM
Waiting.....:drama:

Heidi_234
October 27th, 2009, 01:47 PM
With all these threads lately I think the new year's resolution would be to go on a collective LHC cyber diet :lol:

jahof45
October 27th, 2009, 01:51 PM
I would like info about dreads because I'm considering them as well. Please point me toward your links of info! Can't wait to see the photos!

spidermom
October 27th, 2009, 01:54 PM
Have you figured out how to dread AND henna? In my imagination, henna would be extremely difficult to rinse out of locks.

Cherry_Sprinkle
October 27th, 2009, 01:55 PM
With all these threads lately I think the new year's resolution would be to go on a collective LHC cyber diet :lol:

LOL I hear you Heidi!! *slinks off to quietly eat her pizza..* :pizza:

melrose1985
October 27th, 2009, 02:09 PM
Can't wait to see!

Armelle
October 27th, 2009, 03:35 PM

My, my...I feel we've been here before. :D
:beercheer:

GlassEyes
October 27th, 2009, 05:28 PM
Have you figured out how to dread AND henna? In my imagination, henna would be extremely difficult to rinse out of locks.
I'd just use the stuff for AA hair--it has a really fine sift and it is supposed to be easier to rinse. :shrug: And I think there's a section on the henna for hair site about henna being able to be used over cornrows and maybe locks.

If not, she can always use SE blood red again. >.> <.< *HINTHINTNUDGENUDGE*

...I think I take my secret desire for red hair and imprint it onto Kwanie sometimes. :p

lilish
October 27th, 2009, 06:05 PM
Wow, really? I remember in another community you mentioned how your father freaked out and made you cut them off. Is he ok with it now or are you in a position where you can do as you please? Either way good luck, I can't wait to see them! I actually followed you here from the other boards. You mentioned it once and I was like "huh I have long hair too, I should check it out" :P

pepperminttea
October 27th, 2009, 06:22 PM
Oh this sounds awesome - can't wait to see! :D I've never been brave enough to try them, but I've admired them for years. Good luck!

rchorr
October 27th, 2009, 06:39 PM
We seem to wait for pics an awful lot around here! :drama: Hmm ... what shall we bring for the party? Well, we need something to drink. :beerchug: And, of course, it wouldn't be LHC w/o cheese! :gobblecheese: What's a party w/o pizza :pizza: and beer :beer: And for desert, CAKE!! :cake:

I'm getting kind of full! :silly:

RCHORR'

jahof45
October 27th, 2009, 07:40 PM
:patrol: :guns: **stopping everyone at the door, frisking them for food and impounding all food, snacks and beverages.** :eye:

No Food or Beverages Allowed on this Thread while Waiting for Photos! No Exception! :spam:

kwaniesiam
October 27th, 2009, 10:05 PM
Hey everyone, sorry I haven't responded yet, I'm sick but should be feeling better tomorrow so I'll get the pics up soon :flower:

And trust me, they're not much to see right now :p

feralnature
October 27th, 2009, 10:24 PM
Oh, sorry you feel poorly. But will be glad to see pics of your dreads when possible. Feel better :)

little_acorn
October 28th, 2009, 12:24 AM
ooh this is exciting - :drama:

Armelle
October 28th, 2009, 06:23 AM
I hope you feel better soon!

We'll wait for you! No telling what condition we'll be in...:toast:

:D

rags
October 28th, 2009, 06:25 AM
I'm sorry you feel bad Kwaniesam!

Do ya'll think she's related to Teesha? :rollin:

:drama:

kwaniesiam
October 29th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Okay, picture time!

Sectioned, you can see how thin my hair is in these:

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a90/KyanAdiel/Dreadlocks/DSCN0038.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a90/KyanAdiel/Dreadlocks/DSCN0039.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a90/KyanAdiel/Dreadlocks/DSCN0040.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a90/KyanAdiel/Dreadlocks/DSCN0042.jpg

First one in progress:

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a90/KyanAdiel/Dreadlocks/DSCN0043.jpg

More progress:

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a90/KyanAdiel/Dreadlocks/DSCN0049.jpg

Done! They're super crazy and fuzzy right now, I'll update in a week or so when they calm down :)

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a90/KyanAdiel/Dreadlocks/DSCN0050.jpg

Sorry to keep you all waiting, maybe Teesha and I are distant, long lost cousins :lol:

little_acorn
October 29th, 2009, 06:07 PM
I'm sorry you feel bad Kwaniesam!

Do ya'll think she's related to Teesha? :rollin:

:rollin: :rollin:

.... you could be on to something

kwaniesiam
October 29th, 2009, 06:10 PM
Edit: Never mind, my internet is fail sometimes.

little_acorn
October 29th, 2009, 06:16 PM
oooh pics - cool :D

how long did they take?

Amara
October 29th, 2009, 06:21 PM
Cool!!!

Also, wow, you have gorgeous eyes.

kwaniesiam
October 29th, 2009, 06:30 PM
oooh pics - cool :D

how long did they take?

6-7 hours, I can't remember exactly. Thank you!

Cool!!!

Also, wow, you have gorgeous eyes.

Thank you :flower:

LawyerGirl
October 29th, 2009, 06:43 PM
Wow that's cool... do you section and tease them into sections or is there more involved?

Maddy25
October 29th, 2009, 06:49 PM
Was it scary to do? I mean, after taking such good care of your hair and then backcombing lol? I cant wait to see more pics!

RavennaNight
October 29th, 2009, 07:24 PM
That looks cool! Did you use beeswax? (I really don't know anything about dreads)

kwaniesiam
October 29th, 2009, 07:25 PM
Wow that's cool... do you section and tease them into sections or is there more involved?

Nope, that's all there is to it. Product is really bad for dreads, especially the wax certain companies really push but its all just to sell products.

Was it scary to do? I mean, after taking such good care of your hair and then backcombing lol? I cant wait to see more pics!

Not really since I'd done it before. I'll be updating in a week and then maybe in a few months when they start to mature :)

kwaniesiam
October 29th, 2009, 07:26 PM
That looks cool! Did you use beeswax? (I really don't know anything about dreads)

Oop, cross posting. Nope, no wax. Wax just glues the hair together and hinders the process in the long run. Aside from a tiny bit of aloe to tame frizz, I don't do a thing to them except washing with CV bar or soapnuts when it feels like it needs it.

Miasen
October 29th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Oooh, looking forward to seeing any pictures, absolutely love dreads. :D

Miasen
October 29th, 2009, 07:33 PM
Really gotta learn to read through a thread completely before posting. Saw the pictures, and it looked really cool. :D

jivete
October 29th, 2009, 08:08 PM
Very cool! I've always loved dreads. I have falls, but that's about as adventurous as I get.

kwaniesiam
October 30th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Did my first wash yesterday, much less poofy now! Still crazy and frizzy though.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a90/KyanAdiel/Dreadlocks/Photo68.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a90/KyanAdiel/Dreadlocks/Photo67.jpg

Flynn
October 30th, 2009, 07:47 PM
XD They look great on you, Kwanie!

IStand4u
October 30th, 2009, 08:15 PM
those look really good on you! I had fake dreads in my hair (don't ask how to do them but they look like real dreads, but I was able to take them out with conditioner), and they looked alright and I absolutely love dreads on others! Unfortunately my parents and friends would kill me if I got them done for good.
And I totally agree, your eyes are beautiful!

suicides_eve
November 1st, 2009, 07:21 PM
2nd times the charm girl!!

Friesiangirl
November 1st, 2009, 09:30 PM
they definitely look awesome! Congrats on having them done.

Hayley

kwaniesiam
November 7th, 2009, 12:00 PM
2 week update!

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a90/KyanAdiel/Dreadlocks/DSCN0053.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a90/KyanAdiel/Dreadlocks/DSCN0054.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a90/KyanAdiel/Dreadlocks/DSCN0056.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a90/KyanAdiel/Dreadlocks/DSCN0057.jpg

halo_tightens
November 7th, 2009, 12:37 PM
FUN!

Looks like you're enjoying them, and anyway, dreads are just plain cool!! :D

little_acorn
November 7th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Looking good :D and you look like you are having fun with them :D

Brownie
November 7th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Cooool!
My parents and friends would kill me if I got them done :lol: I really like dreads, but I think I could not do the backcombing and teasing to my hair :o

RoseRedDead
November 7th, 2009, 03:09 PM
In that last picture, it's like HairCthulu... o.o

DARKMARTIAN
November 7th, 2009, 05:15 PM
Ive had some serious thoughts about doing this.......I just cant bring myself to do it though.....

I hear they cant be reversed......

kwaniesiam
November 7th, 2009, 06:28 PM
Ive had some serious thoughts about doing this.......I just cant bring myself to do it though.....

I hear they cant be reversed......

It is possible to comb them out, just takes a lot of time and patience. The longer you have them, the harder it is to get them out but I've read where people who have had them for several years managed to get them out without losing too much length. No idea about the condition of their hair afterwards though.

Thanks everyone, I'm quite happy with them so far :)

AbruptlyWanderi
November 7th, 2009, 06:55 PM
They look really cool, and you seem happy with them!

Flynn
November 7th, 2009, 07:03 PM

*Gasp* Kwanie! Kwanie! You have to wire them up and do a HairCthulhu! Soooo fun!

kwaniesiam
November 7th, 2009, 07:27 PM

:bigeyes: Hell yes.

*Gasp* Kwanie! Kwanie! You have to wire them up and do a HairCthulhu! Soooo fun!

I totally will when they tighten up some more :D

Eniratak
November 7th, 2009, 07:41 PM
I've always said that if I had the face for dreads, I would so totally do it. XD. However, I don't and therefore, I do not have them. Although, there is a girl in my class who has six dreads. Her mother won't let her get her whole head dreadlocked...? XD. But we talked about it the other day in math and she wants them.
Dreads are pretty awesome.

kwaniesiam
November 7th, 2009, 07:53 PM
I've always said that if I had the face for dreads, I would so totally do it. XD. However, I don't and therefore, I do not have them. Although, there is a girl in my class who has six dreads. Her mother won't let her get her whole head dreadlocked...? XD. But we talked about it the other day in math and she wants them.
Dreads are pretty awesome.

That's odd that she can't just dread her whole head :ponder:

I think everyone has the face for dreads, but that's just me :D At first I thought I looked pretty goofy too but once you get used to it they're great.

Eniratak
November 7th, 2009, 08:03 PM
That's odd that she can't just dread her whole head :ponder:

I think everyone has the face for dreads, but that's just me :D At first I thought I looked pretty goofy too but once you get used to it they're great.

XD. Her mom said that if she 'dreaded' her entire head, she wouldn't help her out in college. Which is the reason why she can't. She dreads little by little though, so I'm sure in the next few years, her whole head will be full.
Eeehhh. I dunno. I don't think I could pull it off. You look good with yours though! Really awesome. There aren't many people around here with dreads. It's kind of sad.

jeno
November 8th, 2009, 02:21 AM
I just love dreads! Especially long thin ones. If it was easy to take them out I would go for it, but I think I would have to cut my hair short and I don't want to do that.
Many people here thinks dreads are dirty and awful... Little do they know.

eadwine
November 8th, 2009, 02:30 AM
I am sorry but I don't like them much on you.. too many.. too little hair spots. However you seem to be having a lot of fun with them, so rock on! :)

Niphredil
November 8th, 2009, 04:30 AM
I'm not really liking them as they are now, but they probably just need more time to get their final shape and separation. I usually do like dreads that are cared for.
Anyway, I'm curious how they look in a few months time though!

kwaniesiam
November 8th, 2009, 09:51 AM
I just love dreads! Especially long thin ones. If it was easy to take them out I would go for it, but I think I would have to cut my hair short and I don't want to do that.
Many people here thinks dreads are dirty and awful... Little do they know.

Thank you, maybe someday you'll go for it? :)

I am sorry but I don't like them much on you.. too many.. too little hair spots. However you seem to be having a lot of fun with them, so rock on! :)

Thank you. When you say too little hair spots, did you mean where the scalp is showing through? That's one thing I was concerned with but I'm letting it go to see how they develop.

I'm not really liking them as they are now, but they probably just need more time to get their final shape and separation. I usually do like dreads that are cared for.
Anyway, I'm curious how they look in a few months time though!

Thanks, me too. Dreads are pretty crazy and messy for the first few months, especially on my type of hair. I'm looking forward to their development.

eadwine
November 8th, 2009, 09:52 AM
Thank you. When you say too little hair spots, did you mean where the scalp is showing through? That's one thing I was concerned with but I'm letting it go to see how they develop.
Yep, exactly that. :)