PDA

View Full Version : Do you ever start to do something you know is a bad idea....

Maddy25
October 26th, 2009, 04:18 PM
....but you convince yourself its a good idea and then half way through think wow....what a dumb idea?!!

I have bleach on my head....

AH!

I just dyed my hair dark a week ago and I cant stand it anymore, it started fading to an icky greenish dark brown and if anyone else here is a blonde who dyes dark youll know, I just didnt feel like myself. So Im bleaching it lighter and adding in a light golden brown ontop to maybe look a little more like myself. The bleach is in now, then the brown. Im so scared!

I know I know! Bad Maddy! But please wish me luck :( I just couldnt stand the colour it was fading into lol. Any advice on aftercare? Would just my usual oil do or has something else worked for you?

Edit:
---------------------------------------------
Here is the outcome, I really like it and so far it is still in good health :)

Without Flash:
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n296/addie2525/back.jpg http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n296/addie2525/front.jpg

With Flash:
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n296/addie2525/side.jpg

:) Thank you everyone for the support! I promise to leave it like this for now haha.

Islandgrrl
October 26th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Oh Maddy!!! Keep your fingers crossed and hope for the best! Sad to say, but I see the potential for bad things happening with this scenario!

Maddy25
October 26th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Oh Maddy!!! Keep your fingers crossed and hope for the best! Sad to say, but I see the potential for bad things happening with this scenario!

I do live up to my knighted name lol.

But I doubt much it can be any worse than the icky green brown @_@

Speckla
October 26th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Protein, protein, moisturize, moisturize, and protein! Your best friends after bleach and color. :)

marzipanfuntime
October 26th, 2009, 04:35 PM
Honey, I'll pray for you to whatever god/godess of hair will help you! Your other pictures look it pretty good condition, so you may stand a good chance if your using a good color stripper.

If you haven't already, don't put the brown in for a couple days! A little breathing time will help the oils redistribute so you are less likely to get fried or streaky hair.

Maddy25
October 26th, 2009, 04:37 PM
So far I did the bleach and my hair is still wet, seemed to have turned a strawberry blondish copper which I actually like so far. Im going to wait till its dry and put the other colour in (which I didnt know, but its only a temp colour @_@ but oh well, it has no amonia in it which is why I got it)

Naters
October 26th, 2009, 04:43 PM
aww good luck Maddy! I'm sure everything will turn out alright!:)

Yayasmurf
October 26th, 2009, 04:47 PM
If my Mama was readin this she would say, "Maddy Girl, you need a spankin" ... :D

ETA: I do hope all turns out well :)

Coriander
October 26th, 2009, 04:51 PM
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you Maddy! Let us know how it goes!

klcqtee
October 26th, 2009, 05:03 PM
Sally's has an awesome keratine (I know I'm spelling that wrong) treatment that really seemed to help my hair after my numerous hair dying problems. Also, lots of oil, and wear it up quite a bit, and well oiled.

JamieRose
October 26th, 2009, 05:10 PM
I know what you mean about the greenish color with the brown hair dye- I would get that when I used to use box color. Now I happily henna and the green is no more :D

Wishing you the best for your desired brown hair, I hope it turns out all right! I would give it a few days after you bleach, though- let your hair recover a bit. Then post pictures, of course. :)

Islandgrrl
October 26th, 2009, 05:10 PM
I do live up to my knighted name lol.

But I doubt much it can be any worse than the icky green brown @_@

Well, mushy fried breaking off hair is worse....so listen to those wiser than I am, and moisturize and proteinize like crazy!

spidermom
October 26th, 2009, 05:16 PM
Well, yes - the dark chocolate truffle that I just ate wasn't such a great idea.

Flynn
October 26th, 2009, 05:23 PM
Yeah, green... that's definitely a wee bit of a problem.

You're going to have to be super-nice to your hair, now! ;p

My favourites:
Conditioning treatment: SMT.
Keratin treatment: Joico K-Pak Reconstructor. (Teensy bit pricey, but SO GOOD. RedCelticCurls will tell you the same for the K-Pak conditioner.)
After all that, a nice hot oil treatment (oil your hair, wrap it, put something warm on it, like a microwaved cloth bag full of uncooked, dry rice, and leave it for as long as you can be bothered) might also do you good. ^__^

Please wait a little while before your next colour! O.o

Lize
October 26th, 2009, 05:53 PM
How did it turn out?

windinherhair
October 26th, 2009, 06:03 PM
Wow Maddy, you have courage! That is too bad it started fading so fast! How did it turn out now?

pepperminttea
October 26th, 2009, 06:04 PM
Oh eep, good luck!

spidermom
October 26th, 2009, 06:08 PM
I hope you wait a few days before slapping the new color on it; do an intensive treatment or two between now and then.

clairenewcastle
October 26th, 2009, 06:11 PM
Fingers crossed for you......

jojo
October 26th, 2009, 06:12 PM
Well, yes - the dark chocolate truffle that I just ate wasn't such a great idea.

aww and you didnt share;)

Maddy your 22 at the end of the day and experimenting with hair colour is quite usual for a girl your age, I know I drove my parents mad keep dying mine, but if long hair is you goal you need to think of something else to do when you get these urges. I feel that your hair at some point is going to give up the ghost and just rebel against you. Sure your hair will continue to grow but is more likely to break when you reach a certain length.

Your main objective now is to (like the others say but it cant be said enough yeah) moisterise and get the protein back into your hair and under no circumstances would I use heat of any form. We have another member on here and I hope she sees this post and offers you some advice, she also dyed and bleached and ended up having to cut her hair short. She also suffers with depression and I feel you are using hair dyes as a means of trying to change a part of your life which maybe you feel is impossible to change, now I may be totally off mark here and if I am please tell me. I hope this makes sense, like I have emotionally cut and dyed so many times in the past because for a while it made me feel better about myself, but once the novelty has worn off, I get back to square one, and so a cycle developes.

I really hope this works out and you find some peace and learn to love yourself for the lovely person you are. I personally liked your hair both blonde and dark but I am not you and at the end of the day its your choice. I truely hope you get the hair colour you desire, now step away from the hair dye and move closer to the oils!

Dont forget photos and fingers crossed for you xxx

Maddy25
October 26th, 2009, 06:23 PM
Aw thank you so much everyone for the kind wishes! Im much happier with it right now, although it isn't brown, its more of a very light auburn or strawberry blondish, much closer to what I am used too. I will take photos tomorrow before work when I am looking decent haha. At least the lightness of it is close to my natural hair, so the roots wont be as noticeable.

It doesnt feel in bad shape yet, I am used to dying it although it has been a long time since lightening. But it looks and feels the same as it did.

Thank you for the concern jojo, you are right on the spot, I do take anti depressants and the hair changes have a lot to do with me not being happy with myself. But I feel a lot better now that its lighter, it looks a lot better :)

little_acorn
October 26th, 2009, 06:32 PM
Aw thank you so much everyone for the kind wishes! Im much happier with it right now, although it isn't brown, its more of a very light auburn or strawberry blondish, much closer to what I am used too. I will take photos tomorrow before work when I am looking decent haha. At least the lightness of it is close to my natural hair, so the roots wont be as noticeable.

It doesnt feel in bad shape yet, I am used to dying it although it has been a long time since lightening. But it looks and feels the same as it did.

Thank you for the concern jojo, you are right on the spot, I do take anti depressants and the hair changes have a lot to do with me not being happy with myself. But I feel a lot better now that its lighter, it looks a lot better :)

Maddy I'm glad you are happy with it now and I'm looking forward to the pics. Just treat your lovely hair with lots of TLC please :D

Backliteyes
October 26th, 2009, 06:36 PM
It could be worse, you could be getting impulse tattoos.

Don't get any ideas. :o

jojo
October 26th, 2009, 06:41 PM

Your welcome, I feel happier with lighter hair too! keep smiling and just by reading your posts its easy to see you are a sincere and lovely person, regardless of what hair colour you have.

I am pleased you are feeling happier with your hair now xx

jojo
October 26th, 2009, 06:42 PM
It could be worse, you could be getting impulse tattoos.

Don't get any ideas. :o

Very true!

Maddy25
October 26th, 2009, 06:44 PM
Aw thank you so much!! That is so so sweet. :flower: You are such such sweethearts, it really touches me how accepting and supportive everyone is.

On the tattoo note, I am a bit like that but my DBF keeps me under control haha.

clairenewcastle
October 26th, 2009, 06:50 PM
Glad to hear it's worked out for you! :)

Leena7
October 26th, 2009, 06:51 PM
This post is pretty much the story of my life. But I am reformed (i hope)! Anyways, I learned after my hair color filled spring that oils and conditioners are my best friends!

jahof45
October 26th, 2009, 06:51 PM
I like your hair both light or dark. I wouldn't have known the dark wasn't natural if you hadn't said so. I gasped when you said you had bleach on your head but I'm relieved that it lightened to a shade you're happier with now. phew!! I don't have the guts to bleach. Looking forward to photos!

Demetrue
October 26th, 2009, 07:37 PM
I know how it feels to want some kind of change, then after the change, realize that you no longer recognize yourself in the mirror and want to change things back. It's kind of like a round-about process of self discovery. It's better to do it now at 22, than to wait until you're 82 and decide you want brunette hair and really, really like it and wish you had tried it 60 years ealier!

camirra555
October 26th, 2009, 09:03 PM
I'm sure your new colour looks great. I really liked the dark brown on you but you have a face that would look good with any colour

friskybiznus
October 26th, 2009, 09:12 PM
Aw, Maddy, I'm so glad to hear that everything turned out OK with your haircolor. Just give it (and yourself) lots of love and care! ((hugs))

pinchbeck
October 26th, 2009, 09:36 PM
I read your post and remembered you from an earlier post you wrote about colouring your hair darker. In my twenties I didn the same thing! I coloured my hair reddish-brown, dark brown and a brownish-black. The brownish-black looked horrid on my pale complexion, but I coloured it dark to have contrast with my complexion because I felt I would look better.

Afterward the colour had to be stripped out with a colour stripper. My hair turned a weird yellow and I applied a semi-permanent hair colour. Truly, my hair was damaged and I have gone through this process twice in my life. Sometimes I take my phases of unhappiness out on my hair and this could be why it never gets very long. It's a vicious cycle that has slowed down. Sometimes I cut it out of anger, frustration, or just because it needs a good trim to be manageable.

I have learned to accept that my natural colour suits me best and I try to fight society's pressure to change my appearance or to dislike parts of me that are not considered attractive. It is hard and it gets me down sometimes. I don't know why you have urges to change the way you look, but one day you'll decide not to anymore.

On a lighter note it is fun to experiment with change providing the outcome is one that is desired. Thankfully, hair grows back to give us opportunities to enjoy it no matter what mistakes are made along the way.

Unzadi
October 27th, 2009, 05:14 AM
Maddy, you look gorgeous with blonde hair, gorgeous with brown hair, and I'm sure you'll find an inbetween shade that suits you equally well.

jivete
October 27th, 2009, 07:14 AM
Maddy, I think many have been there. A few years ago, maybe 8 or 9 I decided to go from blond to brown with dye. It wasn't dark enough, so I dyed again. Then I henna'd. With Hennaluscent. It turned black and slightly greenish. I knew if I tried to fix it at that point it would melt off, so I just lived with it. It did break off and I had shorter hair for a while, but the nice thing about hair is that it's always growing.

I hope you find a happy balance with your hair. I tend to look to change to make me happy as well. It has lessened a lot since I've gotten older, but I still crave it. I can buy stuff to offset the desire for change, but in some ways, that's not better. :flower:

Heidi_234
October 27th, 2009, 08:14 AM
Oh Maddy. Your hair will retaliate in few years time. Enjoy the brighter shade now.

Mutinous
October 27th, 2009, 08:16 AM
I've done something similar, only the other way around! I once decided I was too pale for my naturally dark hair, so I bleached it, and i went a combination of yellow, orange and red, and then I had to dash to the supermarket to dye it back to black. My hair was pretty damaged I have to say!

So I hope you are happy with your colour! And don't feel guilty about it, we have all done it, and its your hair at the end of the day! Do what you want with it, just try and give it some TLC in between (which I am sure you do anyway, as your hair has always looked healthy in the pics you have posted!) :)

spidermom
October 27th, 2009, 10:19 AM
By the way, from what I've read here, the product you want to use when you don't like the color of dye is Color Oops (or a product like it), not bleach. It's less damaging. You might want to keep this in mind for the future.

Maddy25
October 27th, 2009, 10:39 AM
By the way, from what I've read here, the product you want to use when you don't like the color of dye is Color Oops (or a product like it), not bleach. It's less damaging. You might want to keep this in mind for the future.

Thank you, I couldnt find anything like that in my tiny Ontario town hehe, is it perhaps only American?

pinkbunny
October 27th, 2009, 10:44 AM
When I was 16, I already lightened my hair on a regular basis (it's naturally dark blond but I wanted it more golden). I had 2 weeks off for Christmas break, so I thought I would do something completely different just for fun. I bought a box of temporary (supposed to come out in 8 washes) dye, which was RED RED RED! After putting it on I decided to read through the rest of the instructions while I waited for the color to set, and there in the fine print at the bottom was the warning: do NOT apply to blond or bleached hair! It was too late then, so I figured maybe it would just last a little longer than 8 washes, no biggie - right? WRONG! The first wash wasn't too bad, not quite as red as the photo on the box, but not horrible... After day 2 & the second wash it turned bright orange like a clown! I freaked out and ran to the store and bought 2 boxes of light blond dye (but I applied them a week apart so it wouldn't fry my hair all at once). By the time I went back to school it was strawberry blond and everyone kept asking what I had used on my hair because the color looked SO good...if only they knew! lol

MAO
October 27th, 2009, 11:11 AM
Yup! I had that exact thought when I walked into the salon to have the henna stripped from my hair :o

StellaReade
October 27th, 2009, 11:27 AM
I had dyed my hair black for a long time, and decided to go blonde one day and they bleached out the black to white. I wouldn't even call it frizzy, it was...fuzzy. OH it was horrible! I'm so glad that didn't happen to you. Also, later I had wanted to tone down the white fuzziness to a gold fuzziness, but when I went in again, the colorist got confused and went with an ash blonde instead of golden blonde, so my hair ended up a nice khaki color.

halo_tightens
October 27th, 2009, 12:24 PM
I can't begin to tell you how many times in the past I've gone through multiple hair colors in a very short span of time. It's just a thing, you know... It happens.

Usually, though, those little sprees ended with my hair substantially shorter than before, thanks to the damage that I kept right on making worse and would eventually have to cut off. Right now is the first time I've ever felt confident that I'll be able to stick to a consistent routine for the years that it will take to grow long hair.

Is it a coincidence that right now is also the first time I've had a little peace of mind, having finally gotten some proper treatment for something I'd been trying to fix with antidepressants alone for years? Who knows. But I do understand now that some of us wear our inner turmoil in our hair. It's just a thing...

Your hair does look nice in either a dark or light color, so I'm sure it's fine now too. I do NOT want to see you ruin yours as I did mine so many times, but I also know that it doesn't matter too much what I say. I was doing a lot worse things at your age, lol! Not that I'm so old now. It's just that a few years can make a lot of difference. Hang in there! :)

brok3nwings
October 27th, 2009, 12:59 PM
Im so glad it turned out well !! now i am waiting for pictures :)

spidermom
October 27th, 2009, 01:10 PM
I don't think that Color Oops (and products like it) are only available in the USA, but I have no idea what is available in Canada. I hope your hair holds up. Sometimes it can take awhile for damage to show, so be extra-special-nice to your hair.

melrose1985
October 27th, 2009, 01:16 PM

I bet it was good though : )

windinherhair
October 27th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Good to hear that it turned out well. I can imagine that auburn or strawberry blonde would look nice on you. Look forward to pictures. :)

Maddy25
October 27th, 2009, 04:53 PM
--------------------------------------------
Here is the outcome, I really like it and so far it is still in good health :)

Without Flash:
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n296/addie2525/back.jpg http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n296/addie2525/front.jpg

With Flash:
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n296/addie2525/side.jpg

:) Thank you everyone for the support! I promise to leave it like this for now haha.

spidermom
October 27th, 2009, 05:03 PM
It doesn't look bad at all! I like the color. Treat it well.

Kris Dove
October 27th, 2009, 05:23 PM
I've done that whole colour chameleon thing, so yes, I can totally relate! Mine was heavily highlighted and lowlighted, then I dyed it a light golden blonde, which I hated, so I bleached it platinum, then got lowlights, then light ash blonde, then red, back to ash blonde, then light brown(and cut to from BSL to APL at this point to get rid of damage), dark brown, black, then blue black within an 8 month timespan. Phew!

Your hair still looks good, so be nice to it and baby it!

katydid317
October 27th, 2009, 05:54 PM
I don't think that Color Oops (and products like it) are only available in the USA, but I have no idea what is available in Canada. I hope your hair holds up. Sometimes it can take awhile for damage to show, so be extra-special-nice to your hair.

I've been looking for Color Oops here and have had no luck. I'm in Ontario as well

Peter
October 27th, 2009, 06:50 PM
That's with no flash? Your hair is obviously still super-shiny. Nice! :)

Maddy25
October 27th, 2009, 07:17 PM
Thank you very much :)

Bianca
October 27th, 2009, 07:34 PM
I love your new color. Actually, that's the color I have always wanted. Very beautiful :) And your hair looks to be in good condition still.

longhairedfairy
October 27th, 2009, 07:40 PM
Looks good. :) I'm glad you're happy with it. Baby that hair, Maddy!

Maddy25
October 27th, 2009, 07:51 PM
hehe thank you!

And I am babying it! I just did an SMT and covered it in a protein coney product, then I shall oil and head to bed! Doing CO for a while as well.

ericthegreat
October 27th, 2009, 08:13 PM
Maddy, you are so lucky! Even after dyeing your hair so frequently and within such a short period of time, it still looks to be quite shiny and healthy looking!

Also, you really can pull off several very different shades of haircolor very well! I love you as a bright blonde, a deep brunette, and now a nice strawberry blonde! You are so lucky to be able to wear all these different shades of color so beautifully.

Maddy25
October 27th, 2009, 08:20 PM
Maddy, you are so lucky! Even after dyeing your hair so frequently and within such a short period of time, it still looks to be quite shiny and healthy looking!

Also, you really can pull off several very different shades of haircolor very well! I love you as a bright blonde, a deep brunette, and now a nice strawberry blonde! You are so lucky to be able to wear all these different shades of color so beautifully.

Aw thank you so much!!! I love you with your newer hair colour as well, it looks so great!

pilateschick7
October 27th, 2009, 08:29 PM
I love your new shade. I am so glad it worked out well for you. With your complexion you can carry off such a wide range of shades.

meowmeow
October 27th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Your results look really good! And I must say that shirt colour goes great with your new hair colour too!

Quixii
October 27th, 2009, 11:16 PM
I absolutely love that colour. I think it's my favourite shade I've seen your hair in, and one of my favourites for hair in general. I really hope you stick with it. <3

LovelyGoddess
October 28th, 2009, 12:24 AM
I've done something similar, only the other way around! I once decided I was too pale for my naturally dark hair, so I bleached it, and i went a combination of yellow, orange and red, and then I had to dash to the supermarket to dye it back to black. My hair was pretty damaged I have to say!
I did exactly the same thing when I was 20!!! I used a color remover (some blue pasty stuff) and let it sit. Well my hair turned banana yellow and felt like straw! My hair dresser was appalled that I had done that to myself (I was too). She made me wait a week (did I mention it was banana yellow?) and we tried covering it up. LOL! Then it turned a horrible shade of brownish green. I had to live with that for a month and then became a redhead for a while, to counteract the green. Lessons learned: Stay near natural, and don't dye myself.

pdy2kn6
October 28th, 2009, 12:42 AM
It looks great, job well done Maddy!

windinherhair
October 28th, 2009, 06:04 AM
It is really a beautiful color for you Maddy! You were so lucky with bleach. :D

PurpleAshes
October 28th, 2009, 06:44 AM
Oooh, I like the color!
But then again, you look good in any color..!

melrose1985
October 28th, 2009, 08:18 AM
It came out great!!!

jesamyn
October 28th, 2009, 08:29 AM
It does look lovely. :)

CaliRose
October 28th, 2009, 08:41 AM
That color suits you beautifully!

I did the same thing, too, when I was younger. My hair was practically black from a box dye, and I got it down to the same color as you through a stylist. I ended up going back up a shade to light brown (the strawberry-blonde didn't suit me anywhere near as well as it suits you! :))

Keep babying it- many, many moisture treatments (and no more dye, if you can help it!) I'm glad you had such great results. It looks sooooo shiny in the pictures!

frodolaughs
October 28th, 2009, 08:55 AM
Your hair looks great. I hope you'll be able to enjoy and baby it for awhile.

linda g
October 28th, 2009, 10:18 AM
Wow, Maddy! It is hard for me to believe that you have gone from such a dark color to a strawberry blonde! Very pretty.

above_rubies
October 28th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Very, very pretty! :flower:

Maddy25
October 28th, 2009, 10:52 AM
Thank you so much everyone *hugs!* You are all so sweet :)