PDA

View Full Version : Curls without heat?

MissMay
October 26th, 2009, 11:17 AM
Hi y'all, bit of a newb here :p

So, since I'm in love with curly hair (despite owning locks that are wavy at best) I was wondering how you get curls without a curling iron? I have velcro rollers but they damage my hair too =(

Oh, and I just thought I'd mention that plaits/braids don't work for my fine hair, and it's a bit too short anyway (2 inches past shoulder).

:confused:

curlytiff27
October 26th, 2009, 11:59 AM
Welcome to LHC! I have curls naturally and have to use a blow dryer so unfortunately I'm not much help. I have seen a pictur of a member that did rag curls and the results were beautiful! I'm sorry I don't know what exactly they are but if you do a search you may find some more info here. I'm sure another member will chime in that knows way more than me. The knowledge of the ladies and gentlemen here is amazing!

Tiff

Rivanariko
October 26th, 2009, 12:02 PM
Have you tried rag curls? My straight, fine hair took them really well, and there's virtually no damage involved in them as long as you're careful as you tie them in and take them out. Just roll pieces of your hair up on a scrap of fabric then tie it off at the top. Leave it for a few hours or sleep on it, then untie and the result is beautiful curls! If your hair doesn't hold curl very well, you can tie them up when your hair is slighty damp so that they'll dry in that shape, or add a little bit of aloe vera gel (make sure it's just aloe vera and doesn't contain any alcohol) which works like a natural hair-gel and helps give your hair a little more hold without the crunchy feeling of hairspray. I usually can't even tell if I have aloe in my hair except that it stays where I put it a lot better. It still feels very soft and touchable.

Cherry_Sprinkle
October 26th, 2009, 12:25 PM
pin curls, rag curls, sponge rollers, and plopping are all great ways to get curls without damage. When your hair is damp, simply roll into the curl shape and secure with whatever method you are using. If plopping simply just put your hair into a towel or tshirt and roll up and leave until dry. Braid waves work the same way.. braid your hair into sections (say 4 different braids) while damp, secure with safe elastics that wont pull hair and then sponge rollers at the ends to give curl. :flower:

Shar2
October 26th, 2009, 01:02 PM
I was going to suggest the satin covered sponge rollers...or you could use flexi rods. With either you should probably do it on damp hair and maybe use a little gel (or something with a bit of hold). And, let the style set overnight.

Presto
October 26th, 2009, 01:08 PM
You could also do a collection of mini buns all over your head with damp hair, and sleep on it. That should result in curls too. As you say your hair is fine and only shoulder length you could probably use those flat barrettes to secure... Not sure what they're called, they snap open by bending in one direction and snap closed by bending the other way.

Bellalalala
October 26th, 2009, 04:16 PM
I get amazing curls with velcro rollers. I just toss them in to damp hair and let it dry. The curl stays much much better than any heat curls in my hair. They also give me much better volume since heat curls make the top of my hair somewhat flat.

Velcro rollers are also conveniently cheap at your local drug store

Alexannee10
October 26th, 2009, 04:22 PM
I use sponge roller, but you can also use paper bags (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoZ2QGq0n4A). :)

marzipanfuntime
October 26th, 2009, 04:28 PM
I've got fine but abundant hair as well, and I agree with the sponge rollers. Start with damp hair and some pure aloe gel, then put the curlers in. Let them set till they are completely dry.

The much more expensive option are velvet rollers, which give insane old Hollywood glamor curls with the same method.

Rivanariko
October 26th, 2009, 04:37 PM
Velvet rollers? :bigeyes:

Naw, I have enough fun with my spongy ones. :D

JCFantasy23
October 26th, 2009, 04:41 PM
You can get loose waves with sleeping in braids and french braids. Some of this looks great on some people but I don't like braid waves on myself.

You can sleep with a scrunchy in your hair as others have mentioned for some different types of curls, and rag curls as others have mentioned are comfortable.

ilovelonghair
October 26th, 2009, 04:43 PM
I make mine with aloe vera (you can see a picture in my latest blog post), by taking a section of my hair, put aloe over the length and roll it around my finger and pin it to my had. It's real quick, depending on the weather and the thickness of the aloe you use. I like to leave mine in for about 30 minutes, but in hot weather it can be much quicker.

Arashi
October 26th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Foam rollers are great- they come in various sizes for anything from tight ringlets to loose waves, are much easier to sleep in than velcro rollers, and release your hair easily and painlessly.

I'm a curl lover too, but my hair naturally gets only the slightest wave at most. I hear a lot of good things about rag curls as well, though I've never tried that method, it's certainly something else you can check out. :)

windinherhair
October 26th, 2009, 05:51 PM
Sponge rollers always worked for my hair at waist length and a little longer. I also would have to use hairspray and I would still be left with only waves by the end of the day. I have naturally straight hair. I haven't used the sponge rollers in a long time though. I don't think they are bad for your hair unless you use them all the time because they could cause breakage. I would put them on my dry hair at night, and take them out in the morning.

plainjanegirl
October 26th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Sponge rollers always worked for my hair at waist length and a little longer. I also would have to use hairspray and I would still be left with only waves by the end of the day. I have naturally straight hair. I haven't used the sponge rollers in a long time though. I don't think they are bad for your hair unless you use them all the time because they could cause breakage. I would put them on my dry hair at night, and take them out in the morning.

Would the breakage be from the ends tangling on the rollers? In torrinpaige's latest youtube video she did some curls with sponge rollers and she encourages using perm papers on the end of your hair to keep it from tangling to the roller.

Also I read somewhere that you can use perm rods to curl your hair, but I haven't found any perm rods at our local retail store yet to try this.