PDA

View Full Version : Advice request on my splits and possible trim

SHELIAANN1969
October 26th, 2009, 08:45 AM
Ok y'all, my turn to ask for some advice. :)

I have only trimmed/dusted my hair 2 times in 2 and a half years, so needless to say, I have splits up the wazoo. My hair has always been layered so, it's got several layers with splits at different levels and a trim at the bottom won't help.

I try to S & D but, it seems like the splits I see when I am in the car, don't show themselves in the house! :(

The 2 trims I had, were only bottom trims, they didn't trim the layers because I am trying to grow out the layers. It's a Catch 22, if I don't trim the layers, the splits stay, if I trim the layers, I am not going to get rid of the layers.

I am getting aggravated with these splits, I see them when i am in good light (sunshine) but when I am inside I don't see them as well, my lighting is drab. (that may be a good thing!)

So.....should I get a trim and have them freshen up the layers? (that is the only way I will go to the salon, and I have a hairdresser that I trust, I actually saw him in the health food store last week, he said he loved my color!) He did my last trim, last April. It was literally a dusting, on the bottom ends only. I am now seeing the results of not trimming hair in over 2 years.

My hair is a tangled mess anyways, always, I can't tame it at all, I subdue it by using vast amounts of Conditioner, leave in conditioner and oils. It still doesn't ever keep the tangles away though, I know this is something I will just have to live with. :D

So, what would your advice be?

Let the splits be?

Trim the layers?

Trim the bottom (feyes or assistance from hubs)

Or just leave it all alone and deal with it?

Thanks peeps!

Nightshade
October 26th, 2009, 08:48 AM
What I've done in the past (as when I started off I had lots of layers and lots of splits) was to do a slightly larger trim on the ends (1/4 to 1/2in) and then dust the layers just the tinyest bit. Be very careful when asking a stylist about the layers as they'll want to reshape them, and if you're growing them out, it's going to set you back a lot. :twocents:

JamieLeigh
October 26th, 2009, 08:51 AM
Why not ask your stylist to trim JUST your splits for you? Or someone else you trust with your hair, if you think it'll either take too long or cost too much? That might help take care of the splits you can't see, without sacrificing length or risking getting your layers cut back in.

Heidi_234
October 26th, 2009, 09:00 AM
SHELIAANN1969, why not dust it yourself? I have layers and splits - when I need to get rid of the latter but can't get them all with Feye's self trim because of the former, I dust the ends but systematically sectioning my hair, and to each small section I do this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=146) first, then I align the ends and dust them. I do it all over my head, and it seems to improve the condition of my ends so it much work.

ravenreed
October 26th, 2009, 09:02 AM
I also notice my splits in the car and it drives me crazy because I never have anything handy to get them... which is good, because trying to do a S&D while driving would be a horrible idea.

I freely admit that I am trim happy because split ends make my sensitive skin itchy... However, I get compliments on how nice my hair looks because my ends are always nice (someone just told me that the other day). So me, I would trim. I find that when I trim, my hair, for a while at least, is much less tangly. Plus layers look much better if they are freshened up. So if you ever wear your hair down, you might want to consider a real trim.

If not a trim, then do a serious S&D. When I notice a lot of split ends as I am driving, I go home, get a chair, a brush, some hair ties or clips and my scissors and head outside in the sun. I break my hair up into at least four, sometimes six, sections and braid all but the one I am working on out of the way. Then I patiently twist that piece several times and trim the little sticky out parts that have splits, bent hairs, white dots, or ones that look thicker than they should. Sometimes I just trim them all to give them fresh ends. That seems to take care of it pretty well. It takes a long time, and I do it about once a month. I do a trim on the ends when I am done to make sure everything looks even. It feels nice to let my hair down in the sun for an "airing." It makes me feel like a Victorian lady for some reason.

ravenreed
October 26th, 2009, 09:03 AM
Yeah, what Heidi said. =)

SHELIAANN1969
October 26th, 2009, 09:03 AM
Thanks ladies, I will see if I can do an intense S&D outside in the sun, and maybe have hubs help. Or ask the hairdresser to do the layer dusting. I am so afraid of the hairdresser though, although he has done well in the past, I never fully trust anyone around my head with scissors! ;)

spidermom
October 26th, 2009, 09:38 AM
You could try the ponytail on top of head thing, then use a second hair-tie and slide it down toward the ends in front of your face. When I had layers, this was how I trimmed them myself.

plainjanegirl
October 26th, 2009, 09:40 AM
I would just let them be and leave them alone, but that is just me.

ravenreed
October 26th, 2009, 10:02 AM
I love this method, but it does deep layers on me. If someone is growing out layers, it might not be the best way to go.

You could try the ponytail on top of head thing, then use a second hair-tie and slide it down toward the ends in front of your face. When I had layers, this was how I trimmed them myself.

SHELIAANN1969
October 26th, 2009, 12:28 PM
I went out in the sun on my half hour break, needless to say, I think it's an all day job! ;)

ericthegreat
October 26th, 2009, 12:37 PM
Sheliaann, if that photo is showing what your current hemline is right now, I'd say that your ends look very healthy at least to me! I like the deep U shape you have, it looks very natural looking and I think the layers give your hair a nice shape, I wouldn't cut them back at all! If you'd like simply do a good S&D, and you don't even have to do it all at once. You could S&D one part or section of your hair and then over the course of a few days gradually clear away any split ends you don't happen to like. I definitely wouldn't go for a big chop at all if I were you, your hair is gorgeous and I love the natural curls!

Cherry_Sprinkle
October 26th, 2009, 12:37 PM
What I've done in the past (as when I started off I had lots of layers and lots of splits) was to do a slightly larger trim on the ends (1/4 to 1/2in) and then dust the layers just the tinyest bit. Be very careful when asking a stylist about the layers as they'll want to reshape them, and if you're growing them out, it's going to set you back a lot. :twocents:

I do exactly this... and I S&D :)

GoddesJourney
October 26th, 2009, 01:02 PM
This all depends on what you're comfortable with. I was getting rid of layers too. I just started maintaining BSL until I got to the layers. Finally, I did more of a chop to get past the last layer and actually start cutting off the damage. My last trim, I cut off the V shape that I had with the ponytail method. It's shorter than I want it, but it's sooo much lower maintenance. I could stand the tangles and there were just too many splits to even bother with.

If chopping is not your thing, someone else mentioned just cutting the splits. I did this on my mom's hair a few months ago. It took me about two hours but she was really happy afterward. She found a beauty college to get this done for about ten dollars. The girls there need hours and they don't mind spending a couple doing the twisting method and getting rid of splits. Win win!

Euphony
October 26th, 2009, 01:10 PM
hahaha I'm in the exact same boat! The only thing that has kept me from cutting it to bsl and starting over again layer free is I've had so many people say things about my hair like: how can your hair be so long and not have ANY split ends. To this I feel they must be blind. To me I see so many splits! They're everywhere, they are invading and procreating. Apparently to the uncritical eye my hair is fine. To mine it is not.

So I've decided (at least until I can't take it anymore) that I'm at tail bone (okay a tad past), I'm going to be trimming about an inch every other month (as soon as I muster the courage to self trim). I think my shortest layer is roughly between bsl and waist (I have no idea since my hair's up and it's entirely too balanced to take it down right now as I'm sure it will laugh hysterically at me when I try to put it back up because this balance will never happen again with just one stick - and all my forks are at home). I figure that my shortest layer should be about tail bone somewhere in the next year and a half or so. All the while I'll be thickening the hemline by trimming out the layers and getting rid of the splits on the layers at the same time.

Unless I just can't take it anymore.

SHELIAANN1969
October 26th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Oh I am definately not going to chop. :D

I just have layers and splits and tangles and unruly hair!

here is a brighter version:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c54/SHELIAANN1969/lhc%20stuff/morninghaircombedout.jpg

I will get the splits one by one, I am just getting frustrated with them.

Thanks for all the advice and thanks Eric! :flower: You are so kind. :)

I think me and you have very similar hair Euphony, including the layers and everything!

Olivia23
October 26th, 2009, 02:44 PM
I know how you feel because I am going through the same thing right now. I have BSL length hair and I had several layers. I was constantly S&Ding due to split ends all over. In the house I didn't see that many, so as soon as I went outside I would see splits everywhere! I now go outside when I can to do my trims. I also used Faye's trimming method to trim the ends. I'm trying to cut out all my layers and my hair length is now touching BSL instead of a little past that length. I will try to maintain this length until it's all even and it shouldn't be to much longer before all my hair is caught up to one length.

ericthegreat
October 26th, 2009, 03:27 PM

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c54/SHELIAANN1969/lhc%20stuff/morninghaircombedout.jpg

I will get the splits one by one, I am just getting frustrated with them.

Thanks for all the advice and thanks Eric! :flower: You are so kind. :)

I think me and you have very similar hair Euphony, including the layers and everything!

WOW. I just love your shade of red, its so vibrant and shiny the light hits it so beautifully in that photo!

marikamt
October 26th, 2009, 03:39 PM
That is so weird- it just happened to me today... had a micro trim about a month ago, was told hair was in "great shape", I do check ends periodically, everything looked hunky-dorey... today I clarified (felt like I had build up, although I am no-cone), was looking at my ends in the car and Holy Moly!!!!!!
Am a little discouraged... may just trim.

ravenreed
October 26th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Like I said, I do an intense S&D every month and then about once a week, I do a fast one at night in the bathroom, for about 15 minutes. I also will snip if I am at the computer because there is a good light there and I can do it while doing something else. I seem to be keeping the little horrors at bay, which is a challenge because I color, wear my hair down at least half the time, and my hair has always been split-prone. Once you get most of them, the upkeep is not so hard, I think.

Does the catnip rinse work for you? I have been using it and I think it does help my ends. I do my CO, an ACV rinse, rinse that out, pour my catnip rinse on and before I rinse it out, I coat my ends with my fake Biolage Matrix stuff and let that sit for a bit. Rinse all really well, and dry (and dry, and dry, and dry... takes so long for my poor hair to dry now)

I adore your color, by the way! My hair pretty much has a mind of it's own too.

ravenreed
October 26th, 2009, 05:00 PM
By the way, I still love my layers, but it does make trimming the split ends a nightmare. It would be so much easier if it was all one length. Oh well, I must like them enough, since I keep trimming my hair so as to have them.

Gvnagitlvgei
October 26th, 2009, 05:28 PM
I heard that jojoba oil mixed with a few drops rosemary oil is great for split ends.

Amberlynnskie
October 26th, 2009, 05:56 PM
I would probably leave them alone for awhile, and treat your hair in general. I've been using neutrogena tripple moisture intensive treatment( has 3 kinds of oils in it) to cover splits, and keeping more from happening. I also melt a quarter tsp coconut oil and mix it in as soon as I get a new tub of it. it works very well. Hope this helps!~

windinherhair
October 26th, 2009, 06:00 PM
I went out in the sun on my half hour break, needless to say, I think it's an all day job! ;)

It sure is! Once I get started, I don't know where the time goes. ;) I agree with the S&D in the sunlight. I have also noticed splits more apparent when I am sitting by the window when the sunlight is shining through. That is where I sit myself down with a pair of scissors. :) I would think that S&D would be just fine without having to cut everything if your ends feel fine and you just want to get rid of some splits.

jojo
October 26th, 2009, 06:24 PM
I was going to sugest the pony tail on top of the head thing too. Id just do a dusting every month this way, this way at least your not loosing length.

and I am so glad your not cutting your flaming long locks off.....phew I was worried for a while there.

Euphony
October 26th, 2009, 11:15 PM
I was going to sugest the pony tail on top of the head thing too. Id just do a dusting every month this way, this way at least your not loosing length.

and I am so glad your not cutting your flaming long locks off.....phew I was worried for a while there.
Wow Jojo, it's been a while since I've seen a current picture of your hair - not to hijack Sheilaann's thread - but your hair has gotten so long! It's so shiny too!!

heatherdazy
October 27th, 2009, 01:40 AM
I agree with this.

SHELIAANN1969
October 27th, 2009, 07:20 AM
Thank Ladies N Gentlemen. I guess It will be a really intense series of S&D sessions and trying to dust the layers, I am most likely going to pop in and see the hairdresser one of these days, they are better coordinated and equipped at getting those pesky layers than I am.

I will see what Ken says (hairdresser) and how we can get those splits outta there. He is really good and only does what I ask, even though last April he suggested cutting 4/5 inches to even it up, I was like ...NO WAY....and he didn't attempt anything underhanded.

And yes JOJO, your hair looks like silk! Lovely and long!!! :flower:

Gulbahar
October 27th, 2009, 07:32 AM

I have serious hair envy now. :o

pinchbeck
October 28th, 2009, 06:48 PM
If it were me I would have I would have my layers cleaned up (not re-done or re-shaped) in order to have healthy regrowth of those pieces and than I would be a faithful oiler of those freshly trimmed pieces. Gee...the splits will continue as damage begets damage because those hairs will break, split further, and catch on to other strands of hair in the process of detangling which will cause more snarls and breakage. Ah...now I can breathe.

I understand you want length, but getting there hair should be nurtured and taken care of. Power grows don't work for anyone because in the end a person looses more length than they would ave if they had have dusted along the way or at least had 1/4" trims every six months or so. You're in a head space where every millimeter counts - really I get that, but being realistic will benefit both the appearance and health of your already beautiful long locks. You've been blessed - so take care of it!

Ven
October 28th, 2009, 07:24 PM
I try to S & D but, it seems like the splits I see when I am in the car, don't show themselves in the house!

I have this problem! Actually, I have ALL of the problems you stated above. I recently did a Feye's trim and a coconut milk soak my ends feel much nicer and they are easier to get a comb through. I will be reading through this whole thread now.

~Ven

above_rubies
October 28th, 2009, 07:50 PM
I think split ends are like weeds. Sometimes it ruins the fun of your garden because all you're doing is noticing those weeds that you need to pull instead of the pretty flowers. If your hair overall looks pretty(which it does very much) then put that magnifying glass away and enjoy it. :) Do some regular small trims and it will catch up eventually. For my hair I'm planning to do what Euphony suggested.

angelthadiva
October 28th, 2009, 09:20 PM
You are so me, Bestie!!

My longest layer is just below waist length, but not quite to tailbone yet. My hemline is/was at the top of my thigh. I long for hair that is one length with thick, even ends. Is that too much to ask? :wail:

Fed up with my thinning ends I did do a Feye self trim this past weekend. Normally I'd have DH do an occasional dusting when the ends felt scraggly. This time I took matters into my own hands. I did a little, then a little more and then I got hooked and more confident. I ended up cutting 2.5" off my ends...Did not touch the layers, but thanks to some other posters in this thread, I may muster up the courage to clean those up too.

Good luck girl! :flowers:

Jemoiselle
October 28th, 2009, 09:29 PM
I second Heidi's recommendation to do the twist cutting (what my hairdresser used to call it) where you twist long sections of hair, and trim the parts that stick out from root to tip while slowly spinning. It takes a while but it how I got my layers grown out in one piece, literally.

Good luck! Your hair is stunning regardless!

SHELIAANN1969
October 29th, 2009, 01:51 PM
I have decided that I am going to go to Ken, my bald headed hairdresser, lol!

He is really sweet and does listen to what I ask him to do/not to do.

I am going to have him trim up that last few inches of pathetic thinness and dust the layers, I have come to the conclusion that I am in no way able to do this myself in any way.

I can't get my hair together / or rather separated enough to trim the layers, it's a mess and it's making me mad! :D grrrrrr lol

I have an appointment at 6, hubs is going to be my guard dog. :heart:

I will lose tailbone length, but will be happier for the nicer looking hair. I just looked at the pic, I think i am going to cut closer to hip, but hey, it's still long to me. This is the longest its' ever been!

angelthadiva
October 29th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Post back, Bestie w/pic updates. :heart:

SHELIAANN1969
October 29th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Post back, Bestie w/pic updates. :heart:

Ask and ye shall receive! :D

First off, I appreciate everyones advice, I would have hemmed and hawed and never done it without the gentle push from my buddies!

Although I went from 39.5" to 34.5", I don't miss the long stray hairs at all. Ken also said my hair is pretty much all one length except for a small section on each side that must have been some kind of bangs.

I am very very very pleased! :cheese::cheese::cheese:

The pics don't line up exactly, but you can see a HUGE difference.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c54/SHELIAANN1969/lhc%20stuff/morninghaircombedout.jpghttp://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c54/SHELIAANN1969/lhc%20stuff/DSCI0042.jpg

Longlocks3
October 29th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Wow it looks really good! When I was reading I about fainted when I saw you cut 5 whole inches! But it's actually not super super noticeable. I even went back to the old picture to compare! Your hemline is much thicker now. And it looks like you're still at TB?

SHELIAANN1969
October 29th, 2009, 08:03 PM
Wow it looks really good! When I was reading I about fainted when I saw you cut 5 whole inches! But it's actually not super super noticeable. I even went back to the old picture to compare! Your hemline is much thicker now. And it looks like you're still at TB?

Yep, I am still at TB. I think most of the hair that was 5 inches was a small amount, I don't even notice it being gone, it really feels much nicer.

angelthadiva
October 29th, 2009, 09:37 PM
Wow, that looks fantastic, girl. Your ends look really thick!

SHELIAANN1969
October 30th, 2009, 06:06 AM
Wow, that looks fantastic, girl. Your ends look really thick!

Thank you! I am very happy, I am so glad I went and had it done. :heartbeat

Euphony
October 30th, 2009, 04:15 PM
OOOOOOOOOOOOO it looks marvelous!!! Now we don't have the same length hair, but nearly everything else is the same (except you have way more curl than I do :D).

SHELIAANN1969
October 30th, 2009, 06:23 PM
OOOOOOOOOOOOO it looks marvelous!!! Now we don't have the same length hair, but nearly everything else is the same (except you have way more curl than I do :D).

Oh thank you, that is so sweet. :blossom:

jojo
November 4th, 2009, 08:09 PM
Wow Jojo, it's been a while since I've seen a current picture of your hair - not to hijack Sheilaann's thread - but your hair has gotten so long! It's so shiny too!!
Thank you so much, thats sweet of you, yes its growing at long last! The shine is from a pantene DC mask and I straightened, so cheating somewhat!!:)

jojo
November 4th, 2009, 08:11 PM
Thank Ladies N Gentlemen. I guess It will be a really intense series of S&D sessions and trying to dust the layers, I am most likely going to pop in and see the hairdresser one of these days, they are better coordinated and equipped at getting those pesky layers than I am.

I will see what Ken says (hairdresser) and how we can get those splits outta there. He is really good and only does what I ask, even though last April he suggested cutting 4/5 inches to even it up, I was like ...NO WAY....and he didn't attempt anything underhanded.

And yes JOJO, your hair looks like silk! Lovely and long!!! :flower:
AWW shucks your making me blush! thank you so much, my cheeks are hurting from smiling here!:)

jojo
November 4th, 2009, 08:14 PM
WOW! that looks lovely, you will need a garden fork to comb that its sooooooooooooo thick x

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c54/SHELIAANN1969/lhc%20stuff/morninghaircombedout.jpghttp://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c54/SHELIAANN1969/lhc%20stuff/DSCI0042.jpg[/quote]

little_acorn
November 4th, 2009, 08:29 PM
WOW - it looks great :D

SHELIAANN1969
November 5th, 2009, 12:41 PM
Thanks ladies! :flower: That is so kind.

Redheaded Raven
November 5th, 2009, 01:05 PM
Definitely :thud: worthy so add me to the :thudpile:

Looking good, Sheliaann!:cheese::cheese:

SHELIAANN1969
November 5th, 2009, 01:26 PM
awwwwww, thanks so much, I always feel like I don't have *that much* hair. :rolleyes: