PDA

View Full Version : New Thread?

Leneveu
October 26th, 2009, 06:07 AM
I'm wondering about forum etiquette and creating a new thread.

For example, if I want to post a question about a fairly specific topic, and several short threads for this topic already exist, should I post in the most relevant of the old threads (even if it died in April 2008 :p) or start a new thread?

New threads will of course get more views and replies, but I know that many members are bothered by countless threads addressing the same topic (it also makes "researching" a topic in old threads more difficult).

I hope this made some sense :) Any opinions?

WavyGirl
October 26th, 2009, 08:33 AM
I think if the old thread is really old, like more than a year it's okay to start a new one. I'm sure if one of the old ones answered your specific question you wouldn't need to ask it again so it must be a slightly different question, right?

If it is exactly the same question and you feel more comfortable doing so then resurrect the old thread. That only tends to be frowned upon if you are just resurrecting to answer a question when the original poster has long since let it die. If you're requesting more information or clarification of an answer no-one will have a problem with that.

Now I want to know what your pressing question is! :eyebrows:

angelthadiva
October 26th, 2009, 09:57 AM
If your question was not answered within an old thread, but it is along a similar vein; I'd say post w/in that old thread. If you do that, it will register as a "recent post", and move it from the back of the line (so to speak) to the front.

Also, those who already commented on that thread will be alerted (if they are subscribed to it still) that there is activity w/in that thread...Since they have already participated w/in that thread they may have more info to share or may be able to address or answer questions you may have.

I wanna know what you wanna know too! :flower:

Leneveu
October 26th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Thank you for the answers :flower:

Now I want to know what your pressing question is! :eyebrows:

I wanna know what you wanna know too! :flower:

I hate to disapoint, but I don't actually have a burning question I want to ask - I was just wondering about posting etiquette :p

angelthadiva
October 26th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Aw, man! ;)

WavyGirl
October 28th, 2009, 03:21 AM
Thank you for the answers :flower:

I hate to disapoint, but I don't actually have a burning question I want to ask - I was just wondering about posting etiquette :p

Well shucks! You must be very polite then. Can't you make something up? ;)