PDA

View Full Version : Pirate hair

AmandaPanda
October 25th, 2009, 07:37 PM
I'm going to be a pirate for Halloween and I'm not sure what I should do with my hair.

I assume it should look messy/dreaded but I want to avoid tangles as much as possible.

I was thinking either:
1. Twisting a lot of rope braids in my hair to look like dreads
2. make several braids in my hair the night before and take them out the next day, leave it looking seperated and wavy and maybe add some small random braids.
3. take sections of hair and twist them into psuedo dreads (I'm afraid my hair would get too tangled from this or it wouldn't last)

What do you think?

LisaB234
October 25th, 2009, 07:55 PM
I LOVE your first two ideas. I would NOT risk tangles in your beautiful hair! I was also thinking a scarf of some sort tied in your hair would be "piratical!" Have fun!

Brat
October 25th, 2009, 07:57 PM
How about some sloppy, loose braids and coconut oil? Make it look all greasy and give you a moisture treatment at the same time! Is that black temporary spray haircolor damaging? That would be neat too!

eyesofsummer
October 25th, 2009, 08:02 PM
I think rope braids would look awesome! And seconding the hair scarf/bandana idea...that would be really neat!

nowxisxforever
October 25th, 2009, 08:02 PM
I agree with the heavy oiling bit. maybe use dry shampoo instead to give your hair a bit of a dull appearance and reduce slip...but that wouldn't be very great for it.

But yes-- p'raps use a bandana or scarf like a headband and twist your length up into a messy bun, and use the ends of the scarf to dress it up.

Xandergrammy
October 25th, 2009, 08:19 PM
Here's a picture of my hair last year on Halloween. I thought it looked even better in person. It was messy with lots of little braids with different color ribbons and strips of cloth braided in. I actually wish I could get away with wearing my hair like that more often! :gabigrin:

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g6/Xandergrammy/The%20Next%20One%20Thousand/DSCN0001.jpg

little_acorn
October 25th, 2009, 08:24 PM
Here's a picture of my hair last year on Halloween. I thought it looked even better in person. It was messy with lots of little braids with different color ribbons and strips of cloth braided in. I actually wish I could get away with wearing my hair like that more often! :gabigrin:

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g6/Xandergrammy/The%20Next%20One%20Thousand/DSCN0001.jpg

:thud: love it it looks exactly right for pirate hair :D

Quixii
October 25th, 2009, 08:24 PM
Maybe a bunch of little rope braids and regular braids - but not your whole hair. So.. [checks Google] like this (http://www.piratemerch.com/images/51189_do-rag_hair.jpg), but messier and more braids and such.
You could also do the braiding the night before so the hair that you don't braid on that day is also braid-waved.

Peter
October 25th, 2009, 08:51 PM
I agree with Quixii - rope braid some of your hair but not all of it.

Flynn
October 25th, 2009, 09:41 PM
I tend to do a "pirate queen" sort of look with really big, messy curls.

clairenewcastle
October 25th, 2009, 09:43 PM

I love the length of your hair. As for the pirate look - it works!
By the way, your skirt is very pretty.

Amara
October 25th, 2009, 09:45 PM
Piratey scarf!

JamieLeigh
October 26th, 2009, 10:00 AM
I'd either go for option 2, or just put in 3 braids on each side of your face, and settle your bandana or hat over them, so they dangle in the front like Captain Jack Sparrow. :)

I'd best see some pics!!! :D

redneckprincess
October 26th, 2009, 10:41 AM
Funny you ask...I am working on the play Peter Pan at my local theater club and I am acting as one of the PIRATES.. Performances are comming up and there 7 of them over 6 days.

My hair is alot shorter then yours and most of the suggestions, but I was planning to wear a bandana over probally a gibson tuck..but the braids sound like a good idea....I will have to try and see what I can come up with

anymore suggestions for a bit more then shoulder length hair....as well as OPs suggestions, not to hyjack the post ☺

NiAosSi
October 26th, 2009, 10:54 AM
Xandergrammy's hair is awesome pirate hair! you also make it look a bit more oily than usual.

Fethenwen
October 26th, 2009, 11:46 AM

That looks awesome! I was about to suggest ribbons and the like too :)
---

I think dirty looking straps of fabric tied or braided to your hair would work nide too. As random objects in it, how about hanging a key or a compass or something fun from your hair :p

Also I suggest using salt water as hair spray to really get the ocean look.

Funny you ask...I am working on the play Peter Pan at my local theater club and I am acting as one of the PIRATES.. Performances are comming up and there 7 of them over 6 days.

My hair is alot shorter then yours and most of the suggestions, but I was planning to wear a bandana over probally a gibson tuck..but the braids sound like a good idea....I will have to try and see what I can come up with

anymore suggestions for a bit more then shoulder length hair....as well as OPs suggestions, not to hyjack the post ☺

A bandana sounds like a great idea for you :) I also like the idea of messy braids. It would look great with your hair length too!

above_rubies
October 26th, 2009, 12:05 PM
Maybe a bunch of little rope braids and regular braids - but not your whole hair. So.. [checks Google] like this (http://www.piratemerch.com/images/51189_do-rag_hair.jpg), but messier and more braids and such.
You could also do the braiding the night before so the hair that you don't braid on that day is also braid-waved.

Agreed. That would look awesome!

Madame J
October 26th, 2009, 12:12 PM
When I was a pirate with waist-length hair in college (not for Halloween -- our director cancelled one of our cast parties, so a friend and I "commandeered" his apartment and threw the party anyway) I did what XanderGrammy did with messy waves and little braids, and then just tied a pirate-y scarf around my head as well. Very inspired by Jack Sparrow. That, plus a corset, rolled up jeans, striped stockings, and Doc Marten boots was a pretty decent impromptu pirate costume.

Cherry_Sprinkle
October 26th, 2009, 12:19 PM
what I did for the ren faire was braid my hair in about 5 sections the night before damp then in the morning, took it down and finger combed so it had a messy curly/wavy look and added braids here and there with a few ribbons and pendant coins I had laying around. I used a tiny bit of hairspray to keep the volume and messy look but no real tangles and I washed it right out :)

adiapalic
October 26th, 2009, 12:24 PM
What I do to make faux dreds is make several rope braids, undo those and apply lost of product--like mousse or something--to the twists to make them stay.

Medium tangling, definitely need to wash out product and gently detangle with conditioner. But definitely a good effect for messy hair without heavy damage.

AmandaPanda
October 26th, 2009, 08:06 PM
Thanks for the ideas everyone!

I will post pics in my album after Halloween