PDA

View Full Version : how did going no cones affect your hair?

klcqtee
October 25th, 2009, 06:15 PM
I'm considering going no cones if it will make my hair wavier, or improve the frizz issues.

windinherhair
October 25th, 2009, 06:29 PM
I didn't notice a change at all. My hair is naturally straight.

Maddy25
October 25th, 2009, 06:31 PM
I voted more wavey. But it could also be because I stopped blow drying my hair which straightened it out a lot.

clairenewcastle
October 25th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Giving up cones didn't affect the waviness (or lack of it) in my hair, what it did do was increase the natural shine of my hair and decrease the dryness.

janeytilllie
October 25th, 2009, 06:38 PM
My hair is naturally wavy 2b/2c. Recently I went back to cones and my hair did go straighter to 2a. I have been on a no cone routine for about 3 weeks and my hair has gone wavier back 2c.

HTH :flower:

Liat
October 25th, 2009, 06:43 PM

dernhelm
October 25th, 2009, 06:55 PM
My hair is curlier when I don't use cones.

Tinose
October 25th, 2009, 07:03 PM
I switched over to coneless before ever typing my hair for LHC, or encountering LHC at all, and tend to wear my hair up often enough that I don't really have a good mental image of my hair. That said, I'm pretty sure my hair got wavier.

Roseate
October 25th, 2009, 07:04 PM
I'm wavier without cones. 2c without, more like 2a with. I can pump it up to 2c on a coney routine, but it takes more product. No-cone, it will usually just be 2c.

Cone/no cone didn't really change my frizz; my hair needs lots of moisture to keep the frizz away, which I can provide to it in either a coney or a not-coney form.

ashimajoy
October 25th, 2009, 07:38 PM
my only no-cone experience was awful. I went all out with it, and the greasy lank phase never ended. I keep intending to order no-cone products from Devacurl and try it their way, but haven't yet had a chance. The ends were definitely wavier though.

handsclean
October 25th, 2009, 07:47 PM
I'm curlier without cones, but I have more frizz.

Darkhorse1
October 25th, 2009, 07:48 PM
Dry, dry, dry, dry dry....left my ends dry...

Sissy
October 25th, 2009, 07:48 PM
I voted other because I did try going cone free for a I could swear I noticed increased damage in my hair during that time. My current routine is to switch it up... sometimes I use cone free and then follow it with a cone. Sometimes I use cone free alone and other times I do a mix with a coney leave-in. I'm weird like that. I know many people have seen an increase in wave going cone free but I think I just saw an increase in frizz and unhealthy looking hair.

JCFantasy23
October 26th, 2009, 04:25 AM
Hasn't affected the wave at all but other things (like no gunky build-up finally, strengthening strands, etc)

nowxisxforever
October 26th, 2009, 06:04 AM
I discovered that I have curls, when my hair is treated right.

I have less issues with keeping my hair up... and overall it's just in better condition.

Of course, right now, I'm using a conditioner with cones since I figured it'd been a few years, and I might as well try... color me unimpressed! I by far prefer using shampoo on my scalp and then just lightly oiling my ends rather than conditioning.

JamieLeigh
October 26th, 2009, 08:43 AM
I had originally typed myself as a 1b when I first joined the site, and when I went to no-cone in January, I had to change my type to a 2a/b. Only lately have I actually perused the "Fia" link and decided I'm a straight-up (wavy-up? :p) 2b. So cone usage definitely makes my hair straighter, and no-cones gave me more wave. :)

Isadora Lewie
October 26th, 2009, 10:10 AM
definitely curlier. coneless helps with the frizz for me too.
my current routine:
CO wash every day, sulfate free shampoo on roots only once a week with a pre-wash drenching in coconut oil.
Then I scrunch soaking wet hair with a mix of aloe vera gel, a few drops of jojoba oil and a pea sized amount of coconut oil. yummy!

redneckprincess
October 26th, 2009, 10:33 AM
I put my DD12 on cones to hopefully give her curls a more uniform existence and less frizz...

LittleOrca
October 26th, 2009, 10:35 AM
It made my hair less wavy, more frizzy, and turned my ends into velcro. I suspect though that is because of the previous chemical dye treatments I have had on my hair and I would like to see what going no-cone does for me when all of my hair is virgin hair.

Themyst
October 26th, 2009, 10:39 AM
My hair is straight anyway, but going no cone did make it more flat. :( I'm staying no cone, though. I don't want to be masking any damage.

MissMay
October 26th, 2009, 11:02 AM
I've only just started going no cones, and so far it's actually shinier and straighter. Hmm, that sounds like the completely adverse effects it has on everyone else's hair . . . o_O

PrincessFurball
October 26th, 2009, 11:05 AM
More wavy and less frizz, but it took time. I didn't notice a change right away, particularly with the frizz.

Eden Iris
October 26th, 2009, 11:22 AM
My waves were unaffected, but the frizz all but disappeared, and I found I didn't need to trim the ends as often because they weren't getting dried out any more.

Shar2
October 26th, 2009, 01:24 PM
My hair isn't wavy, it's coily. But going to no cones allowed my hair to be properly moisturized which made it more coily (instead of random frizz there's a lot more clumpage now).

Jeni
October 26th, 2009, 02:04 PM
I voted no change as far as changing how wavy/straight my hair is. My hair is straight no matter what I use on it. I also didnt notice it getting any fuller or staying cleaner longer...

What I did notice is my hair was dry, tangled if you looked at it funny and was not as shiny as it normally is. My hair is definitely a fan of the cones.

Elvi
October 26th, 2009, 02:10 PM
I have been cone free for one month now, and clearly my hair is slightly wavier now, feels softer when touching with hands but looks fuller. I have also mainly washed just with a conditioner and cleared with a shower and combed first when dry, even then mainly with fingers. My hair is somewhat more "flying" and might even look a little more frizzy if no extra hair care products are used, but there are no notable tangles.

So overall I my hair seems to be better without cones. :cool:

prittykitty
October 26th, 2009, 02:20 PM
No cones made my hair less frizzy. Also it seems that since I have quit using cones, oils seem to penetrate and work better on my hair. I tried going back to cones once since I quit and my hair shined but it felt very dried out and frizzy so I went back to no cones again. Cones use to work great on my hair when I use to blow dry and straighten it but my hair was very damaged in the process.

moonbeam
October 26th, 2009, 02:30 PM
Like the others more wavy and less weighed down.

Also i find cones make my hair look greasy sooner, like the sebum is sitting on top of hair instead of seeping into it.

Angharad
October 26th, 2009, 02:31 PM
My hair became less drier and got "life" back into it. With cones there always was a point where my hair was saturated and from then it went worse: dry, less curls and lifeless.

When I stopped using cones I went through a short period when I thought that non-cones wasn't such a good idea either, but then after very much pampering with oils my hair got better and better. My hair is soooo much happier without cones!

AmyJorgensen
October 26th, 2009, 02:58 PM
I tried no cones for several months...and I gave up and went back. My hair was just too tangly without cones.

Amoretti
October 26th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Hair got bushy and tangled. I looked like a witch. :lol:

Wolfmaid
October 26th, 2009, 03:08 PM
My hair became more wavy and shiny. Itīs also less weighed down, feels softer than before (with cones) and it becomes greasy later.

I donīt remember, if it tangles more or less now.

lyria
October 26th, 2009, 08:31 PM
more...fluff?

23_seconds
October 26th, 2009, 10:44 PM
With cones my hair is noticeably less curly.

clairenewcastle
October 27th, 2009, 12:45 AM
more...fluff?

Strangely enough, I was the oppisite - I'd less fluffy hair.

Fiferstone
October 27th, 2009, 06:10 AM
With cones my hair has more "slip" and looks sleeker, but the scalp gets oily MUCH faster, leading to over-washing which dries out the length. Going no-cone (have been cone free for about 4 years now), meant that my hair looked fuller (it's fine), and it stays clean longer (I can go 3 days between washings now). I also see damage more readily (no cones masking it). I've got straight hair anyway, so I voted "other." For me, no cones is beter than cones, any day.

paperwhite
October 27th, 2009, 06:29 AM
I haven't noticed any difference in the straightness of my hair, but I have noticed a big difference in how much more bossy my hair has and how it doesn't get stringy anymore. As much as I loved the way -cones made my hair feel, I love the way it looks and feels now :)

Copasetic
October 27th, 2009, 06:51 AM
I didn't notice a huge change either way, but going cone-free definitely helped with frizz and manageability.

girlcat36
October 27th, 2009, 06:54 AM
Cone-free:
Less split ends, less frizz, less breakage, more shine, more curls.
I have finally been able to gain some length by going cone-free

Desideira
October 27th, 2009, 04:49 PM
My hair is more wavy with no-cone routine and have more volume, wchich makes it appear thicker. Cones thoght makes combing so much easier and tames flyaways.

ericthegreat
October 27th, 2009, 08:54 PM
When I used coney conditioners, I would get the greasies literally then very next morning! Silicones + pin straight hair = flat, lifeless and oily looking stringy straight hair.

Now that I CO with my coneless Suave Tropical Coconut, my hair is very volumey, full of bounciness, and it even feels silkier and that shine is my own natural shine, its not a false shine due to silicones.

Wicked Princess
October 28th, 2009, 03:34 AM
When I switched off of cones...nothing happened. Not even a little bit of difference! My ends did end up getting frayed more easily, though - I noticed this about three months into my experiment.

However, when I went back TO cones (recently) in the form of an after-washing leave in, my hair hair feels completely dried out and dull...more than if I had used just used oil.

jojo
October 28th, 2009, 07:39 AM
Pros- 50% more wave
50% more body

Cons- frizz is more noticable but only if I comb it when wet, if I finger comb it in the shower I do not have the frizz.
Less shine.

Also no cones does not cause frizz, it mearly shows the true condition of your hair. Cones add a coating to hair which hides imperfections. I do like to use the odd coney DC as I feel it helps my hair look shinier.

RoseRedDead
October 29th, 2009, 09:04 PM
More wavy, more moisturized, less frizzy.

GlassEyes
October 29th, 2009, 09:09 PM
Also no cones does not cause frizz, it mearly shows the true condition of your hair. Cones add a coating to hair which hides imperfections. I do like to use the odd coney DC as I feel it helps my hair look shinier.

That's not -completely- true, though I understand what you mean. Sometimes, when going from a coney conditioner to a non-cone, you're going from a higher quality conditioner to a lower one, which CAN cause frizz--it's not necessarily damage. it's why it's worth experiementing before deciding if no cone or cones are for you or not.

That said, the differences in my hair with/without cones depend completely on the conditioenr, and I suppose, the cone. Coney-Aussie made my hair a wreak, but there's little difference with L'Oreal Mega Moisture, Pantene, or Tre-semme, though my hair is fuller with the latter two. Mega moisture does little more than make my hair awesome. :p

Bene
October 29th, 2009, 09:21 PM
Okay, so I went cone-free for a little while, and my hair felt sort of better? It's kind of hard to explain. I think the changes so gradual because I didn't notice any major difference. Also, I went cone-free overnight, without really having paid attention to how my hair behaved on cones. So, I went along thinking that my hair was indifferent to cones. I really didn't notice any significant difference.

But then I decided to try out Fructise, the one designed for long hair. I barely looked at the ingredients, but I did notice that the shampoo had cones in it. The only reason I even remember this is because I've never seen cones in shampoo, only in conditioner. Anyway, the length of my hair seemed fine, there was no difference in my waves and curls. But I found that my scalp/crown region looked and felt greasy sooner and I had to wash my hair more often than I did when I was going cone-free. I would take down my bun, and my hair just sort of stayed in that ponytail position. Not completely, but it didn't flow like it normally does.

So, I think I'm going to remain cone-free because I want to stretch my washes as much as possible.

squee
November 4th, 2009, 09:59 AM
My hair got a lot softer and stronger, easier to manage. So far no change in the waves. My hair is mostly straight, stayed like that.
I have been no cones for about a week.

wishbone
November 4th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Cones made my hair shiny, but also made them look and feel a bit plasticky and stringy.

Without cones, it feels a lot lighter and thicker, and has more waves.

Finoriel
November 4th, 2009, 12:33 PM
I haven't notice any change in structure when going off cones 4 years ago. Havenīt looked back and donīt miss them at all :wink:. For me they are plain unnecessary since my hair is quite healthy and responds well to oils. My hair is naturally straight though - with or without cones.

jhator
November 4th, 2009, 01:05 PM
Going cone free hasn't changed the waviness of my hair but it has made it softer and less frizzy :)

Asta
November 4th, 2009, 02:45 PM
I didn't notice a change in waviness when I stopped using cones.

Dars
November 4th, 2009, 07:50 PM
When I went no cones I also ditched shampoo and towels so I can't say in isolation what no cones did but in effect with the other two things I changed my hair curled more.

jojo
November 4th, 2009, 08:01 PM
That's not -completely- true, though I understand what you mean. Sometimes, when going from a coney conditioner to a non-cone, you're going from a higher quality conditioner to a lower one, which CAN cause frizz--it's not necessarily damage. it's why it's worth experiementing before deciding if no cone or cones are for you or not.

That said, the differences in my hair with/without cones depend completely on the conditioenr, and I suppose, the cone. Coney-Aussie made my hair a wreak, but there's little difference with L'Oreal Mega Moisture, Pantene, or Tre-semme, though my hair is fuller with the latter two. Mega moisture does little more than make my hair awesome. :p
Suppose hair type comes into it as well, my hair is no way near as curly as yours unfortunatelly so it will act differently, though it does love moisture which combats the evil frizz!. BTW if you like moisture tigi moisture manic is another great coneless conditioner which you just reminded me of!:):)

rupertswife
November 6th, 2009, 02:32 PM
My hair is quite curly and I went cone free about a year ago. My hair has thanked me for it by being more moisturized and definitely curlier. I actually realized a lot more about my hair as far as it's true texture after giving up the cones

rach
November 6th, 2009, 02:36 PM
no change except for the physical feel of it. felt courser yet smoother- very odd but i like it .

mira-chan
November 6th, 2009, 11:23 PM
Other, as cones gave me plastic feeling hair that was a mess that I'm not sure was more or less waves. My waves are more even without cones and with herb washing though.

julliams
November 6th, 2009, 11:35 PM
I am experiencing less waviness due to not scrunching when drying. For me it is a scalp issue. I don't have the same crazy itchy scalp I once had. My hair is possibly healthier looking but I think this is mostly due to the fact that I am getting more moisture by using an SMT weekly and using coconut oil on my hair.

I recently looked back on some pictures of my hair when I was wearing it curly and it was much curlier than it is now. Perhaps using more conditioner is actually weighing my hair down? Not sure but for the first time in my life I am happy with having just wavy hair.

RancheroTheBee
November 8th, 2009, 01:41 AM
Gah! I read it as, "How did 'cones effect your hair?' Stupid sleep deprivation. I voted "less wavey" because I misread the title, but going no-cone helped bring out my curls, definitely.

redneckprincess
November 8th, 2009, 07:07 AM
I dont know for sure maybe less wavy...Im planing to go back to cones for a bit soon so I can decide if I really do hate them or not, lol

EvaSimone
November 8th, 2009, 07:12 AM
With cones I am a 1b without I am a 2a.

Henrietta
August 13th, 2010, 04:31 PM
In my case it was less wavy. But this particular change might be connected with the fact that my hair is longer and heavier now...

oceanwoman111
August 13th, 2010, 05:05 PM
When I gave up cones, the biggest change was in the texture. It didn't have that dry plastic feeling at the ends. It is softer from root to tip. It may be slightly wavier ,but nothing to noticeable. :)

excentricat
August 14th, 2010, 05:01 PM
My hair got a little wavier, a little softer, and a lot less slick. I used a coney shampoo and condish when I was at my inlaws one day and I couldn't put my hair up at all because it just fell right back out. No cones and I can get away without any other products for hold

Dragon
September 13th, 2010, 03:41 AM
My hair has more curls when I don't use cones.

Hylia
September 13th, 2010, 07:50 PM
It doesn't feel as slippery when I come out of the shower if that makes sense. But otherwise my hair texture is pretty much the same.

AgnesONutter
September 14th, 2010, 03:51 AM
The main change I've noticed now when I've found no-cone products that works for me is that my hair is a lot softer and heavier, which in turn results in less frizziness. It is not nearly as slippery as when I used cones, but it is actually a good thing. No noticeable impact on my wave pattern, but then, it is so weak that the weight of my hair straightens it out.

swivelhop
September 14th, 2010, 04:17 AM
Just looked liked fried toast, frizzy mess that didn't know what gravity was. The wave fell out, and sections got straighter or curlier, but way less uniform. Not good, no conditioner is better than coneless conditioner to me.