PDA

View Full Version : 'sunday best' - hair, clothes, whatever

Merlin
October 25th, 2009, 05:38 PM
I grew up in a household were we never did the whole 'Sunday Best' thing - probably as a result of us not having any religious affiliations. My old mum did go through a phase of wishing we had made an effort to somehow look smarter on Sundays (I have no idea of where this idea came from mind). So far as I know the closest any part of my family ever got was that my Nana had a genuine front parlour which was only ever used on Sunday afternoons - the rest of the time everybody sat in main living room!

Does anybody else have any 'sunday best' traditions, hairstyles, clothes or routines?

angelthadiva
October 25th, 2009, 05:46 PM
:waving: Yes, me. Ours though do tend to revolve around our religious affiliation. We get up and get dressed nicely. Today, for me was knee-high black boots, matching pantyhose and a black dress and silver/black pashmina. DH wears a suit every Sunday. As a matter of fact, he's still in it. :D DD wore a black top, black skirt and black ballet shoes. She tried to dress like me all monochromatic and all.

Before DH's mother passed away (2004) we'd have a huge family dinner at her house. Every Sunday she'd prepare a Thanksgiving type dinner w/all the fixings and trimmings.

Interesting thread, btw! :thumbsup:

DMARTINEZ
October 25th, 2009, 05:58 PM
Raises hand! We do! Church time is basically the only time we really dress up. Nothing
uber fancy,but I wear a skirt or dress,etc. and hubs wears shirt and ties or suits. :)

Deb

Xandergrammy
October 25th, 2009, 06:00 PM
When I was growing up, my mom, sister and I went to church/Sunday school every Sunday, so we got dressed up. When we lived near my dad's mom, we ate dinner there every Sunday. That was probably my favorite Sunday tradition. My dad's side of the family was boisterous and bawdy (yes, even on Sunday), so it was a lot of fun.

Merlin
October 25th, 2009, 06:02 PM
Interesting thread, btw! :thumbsup:

I thought people might enjoy it.

I suppose we do tend to follow the great British tradition of a roast dinner on Sundays, but that's mainly because it's the only day of the week when there is time to cook and eat one!

angelthadiva
October 25th, 2009, 06:09 PM
I thought people might enjoy it.

I suppose we do tend to follow the great British tradition of a roast dinner on Sundays, but that's mainly because it's the only day of the week when there is time to cook and eat one!

I think that rings true for us across the pond as well. A big roast dinner is one we do in the crockpot while we are at church. It is done when we get home. We do the same w/a chicken...Yum!

Brat
October 25th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Nope, none whatsoever. No religious affiliations here, only thing that gets done regularly on Sundays here is football watching! Well, guess some might consider that a religion... But when football season is over, nothing at all.

LawyerGirl
October 25th, 2009, 06:26 PM
Me... we had Sunday traditions. But my families (mom's and dad's) are very religious. For my dad's, growing up in Mexico, Sunday was the day where the whole family would get together (grandparents, six uncles + wives + kids, and my mom, dad, and us kids) and eat a big meal. When we moved to the United States, Sunday we got dressed up to go to church, and either had a big family meal or went out to eat after church. With my mom, Sunday was the only day we would go out to eat.... and probably the only day of the week I wasn't "allowed" to wear jeans.

ETA: Now that I live on my own and far from family, it's a "day off" where we can relax more than anything fancy.

angelthadiva
October 25th, 2009, 06:29 PM
Nope, none whatsoever. No religious affiliations here, only thing that gets done regularly on Sundays here is football watching! Well, guess some might consider that a religion... But when football season is over, nothing at all.

What? Football isn't a religion? What about the Saints? :D

LOL, I've been semi-watching football all day, even after DH left!

nowxisxforever
October 25th, 2009, 06:35 PM
We never did. My mom & dad both grew up seventh day adventist, so Sunday had no meaning to us.

I did go with my dad on the Sabbath to church every other weekend though, for a while when I was younger.

I have no religious affiliations now, so I don't have any sabbath/saturday traditions either.

Brat
October 25th, 2009, 06:39 PM
What? Football isn't a religion? What about the Saints? :D

LOL, I've been semi-watching football all day, even after DH left!

Not a Saints fan here, I've been to the holy land though... Lambeau Field! Twice! I've seen Brett play and I've seen Aaron play and the Packers are my boys!!! (Hubby is from Wisconsin, so that's how I got into the Pack... I'm originally from Cali, and all our teams suck lol)

:cheese: Go Pack Go! (yeah, I actually own a cheesehead hat...)

angelthadiva
October 25th, 2009, 06:46 PM
Not a Saints fan here, I've been to the holy land though... Lambeau Field! Twice! I've seen Brett play and I've seen Aaron play and the Packers are my boys!!! (Hubby is from Wisconsin, so that's how I got into the Pack... I'm originally from Cali, and all our teams suck lol)

:cheese: Go Pack Go! (yeah, I actually own a cheesehead hat...)

:bow: YOU ARE MY HERO!! I lurve Brett!! :crush: I secretly celebrated his b-day on 10/10 and am licking my wounds and nursing my throat from the game today :wail: You can't win them all, I guess :( Looking forward to the Green Bay/MN rematch next Sunday!! :)

ETA: I'm from Michigan 0/16 for 2008 season and not much better this season!

Quixii
October 25th, 2009, 06:53 PM
Nope! We don't have any religious affiliations or even sports rituals. I'm still in my pajamas. :D

Stephichan
October 25th, 2009, 07:12 PM
My family is in no way religious, but every Sunday my dad cooks a big breakfast. Usually it consists of eggs, bacon, toast and sometimes hash browns. We do mix it up, for instance sometimes pancakes, sometimes sausage links... it varies. Later in the day one of my parents will make a fairly large dinner, but not always. Gosh, I miss those awesome Sunday breakfasts... I can't wait for winter break :D

Brat
October 25th, 2009, 07:16 PM
:bow: YOU ARE MY HERO!! I lurve Brett!! :crush: I secretly celebrated his b-day on 10/10 and am licking my wounds and nursing my throat from the game today :wail: You can't win them all, I guess :( Looking forward to the Green Bay/MN rematch next Sunday!! :)

ETA: I'm from Michigan 0/16 for 2008 season and not much better this season!

LOL! Since my hubby is a fanatical fan, I am NOT allowed to root for the Vikings, but I am allowed to root for Favre. I was told I can move out if I root for the Vikings to win! (He was just kidding... I think...) He recently began calling him Brent instead of Brett! Too funny!

I certainly hope that the Pack gets to win that game at home, they lost the first battle!

:cheese: (oh, I added a new pic of me wearing cheese in my album!)

Sorry for the football hijack!

julliams
October 25th, 2009, 07:17 PM
Sunday is our sloth day or our day to get out and do something together. I don't think I would get dressed up just to hang out at home. We do however always have a big breakfast. My husband usually cooks pancakes or we do french toast. For dinner we often do a roast in winter or a BBQ in summer.

My impression of the saying "sunday best" was that you would put on your best outfit and go to church. As a child we always got dressed up to go to church. I remember in my teen years, it was when I would try out all my "different" outfits - lol. Now we don't go anymore but if we do go somewhere we always dress nicely (well we think so - lol)

masterofmidgets
October 25th, 2009, 07:28 PM
My family's not religious, so our Sunday traditions were mostly about sleeping in late, watching sports, and doing Sunday dinner. No dressing up required! Unofficially, I think of it as my benign neglect day when I'm at home - I know I'm not doing anything or going anywhere, so I can stay in my pjs and leave my hair braided all day and not worry about it.

Bene
October 25th, 2009, 07:29 PM
I was so happy when I talked my mom out of forcing me to go to church. For me, Sundays are for sleeping till I can't sleep anymore, then finding something to graze on for the rest of the day. The idea of actually getting up and putting on formal clothes seems like a big waste of time that could be perfectly spent lying around and doing nothing. So I tend to sit around in whatever I fell asleep in, until I have to put on real clothes to walk the dog, and my hair is in my normal lazy bun

Debra83
October 25th, 2009, 07:29 PM
Sunday morning, go to church, not usually dressed to the nines, unless it's Easter or Christmas - but not in P.J's either!!! Then housework, then if we're able - the new man in my life and I go for dinner, and I'll dress up for that. (we both work more than 2 jobs each so it's a challenge!)

LittleOrca
October 25th, 2009, 08:47 PM
I dress fabulous everyday!

At least, that is what I tell myself. :hmm:

SHELIAANN1969
October 25th, 2009, 09:28 PM
Since I work at home and live in shorts and tees or pj's, I actually wear *real* clothes on Sat/Sunday, my husband gets a kick out of it when I say *I feel weird wearing clothes* .... he knew what I meant but snickered anyways.

I wouldn't say it's my best, but hey, it ain't loungewear! :D

(the bra usually comes off within 2 hours and ends up in the backseat or my purse) One day I found about 3 or 4 bras in the backseat, that I had escaped from and stashed. I told hubs if he ever took the car to the shop they would really think he had a wild party in there. :cheese:

The shoes usually come off if I go to my Grans or it gets too hot, I think I am hopeless. Gran said when I was 5 and they took me to FL, the farther South we got the less clothes I had on, I guess I was in my undies by the time we arrived, I'm still about the same, lol.

ravenreed
October 25th, 2009, 11:46 PM
I live in an area where no one really dresses up much and my family does not do church. I like to gussy up a bit now and then, for evening events and whatnot. I also attend spiritually based events and I dress up for those.

mizk5110
October 25th, 2009, 11:48 PM
Ah, for the days I was in nursing school. Then, DFH and I would go to the early service at church (*8:30 am*), then go for brunch. After that I'd head home to study for a few hours, then eventually collapse in front of the TV. Nowadays, either we curl up and watch a movie (usually not football unless the Steelers are playing), or I head in to work for a couple hours. :-/

oh we're so boring. :D

Wind
October 26th, 2009, 12:44 AM
Mmm. Sunday is the day I get an amazing home-cooked meal! MT and I head up to his parents for lunch, today it was burgers and all the fixings. We also bring laundry almost every time, I keep a bottle of detergent in the cupboard up there, and do wash once every week or so lol. It's a lazy day, today was nasty out and I curled up in an afghan and napped on the couch.

JCFantasy23
October 26th, 2009, 03:14 AM
I don't have a church I'm attending right now, but I do like to dress my best for church as well. I don't have any certain traditions though

Lemur_Catta
October 26th, 2009, 04:45 AM
We do not go to church, so we do not dress up, at all. I usually stay all day in my pj's instead :D Sometimes I will throw a cardigan or a sweater over the top, if someone is going to visit. I always walk barefoot at home so it doesn't change either.
We used to have a big family meal here, but my mother got tired of having to clean the house afterwards, without anyone from her family ever offering to host the meal at their places, so we stopped that too.
We are usually so busy within the week, that we only relax on Sunday. My parents usually go out in the morning or in the afternoon, to spend some time together.

On Saturday though, we usually cook a nice lunch for us, since my father doesn't work and I don't go to university :D

Loviatar
October 26th, 2009, 04:58 AM
Sunday for me is Theatre rehearsal day - but I do try to look nice when I go!

We often have an evening meal out with friends after rehearsal too.

embee
October 26th, 2009, 07:29 AM
Sunday is just another day for me. Singings are my spiritual events and I do dress nicely for them... at least *I* think it's nicely! ;) Wish I'd worn a sweatsuit last Saturday, though, as we sang outdoors and it was very grey and chill with a nasty biting wind.

When I was a child we went to church (my dad was on the vestry at one church and my mom taught Sunday school at another) and then to lunch with my grandmother at her retirement home. I always selected the same thing - a poached egg on spinach with roasted potatoes on the side. My poor mom would try to curl my hair into ringlets but it was FAIL all the way unless she'd gotten me a perm.

As a teen I put my foot down about the churches - I didn't like the sermons - and my mom found a Russian Orthodox church for me to attend. The service was in Russian so I couldn't understand a word. The whole thing was like a pageant - a great and wonderful production with beautiful a capella singing, incense, candles, icons and ceiling-high murals of saints I couldn't identify, and the priest in a great golden robe and hat, oh my! :) That church was something else. Even my 2 year old nephew sat in fascinated silence and wonder.

Sheltie_Momma
October 26th, 2009, 07:40 AM
We attend a contemporary service at church, so we can wear denim but DH and DS wear collared shirts and I take time with makeup and hair and of course DD2 gets all fancied up, just because it is cute. Afterwards it is nap time. Then we get up, eat and spend time together.

Maddy25
October 26th, 2009, 07:47 AM
Sundays for me are normal unless I am at my grandmothers. She calls Sundays "Manners day" and for as long as I can remember on Sundays over there I have to be extra proper and polite.

Newniepg
October 26th, 2009, 07:51 AM
What an interesting thread!

As a child (quite strict religious family) Sunday meant church (dress up!), sunday school and evening service. It also meant Sunday roast, a speaker coming round and also a senile old lady coming for lunch. :) Sunday meant no t.v. too.

My husbands family (Very strict) had a similar set up but took it to new levels, on Sundays he wasn't allowed to play with his lego and his sisters weren't even allowed to do their cross stitch.

My mother was once told that because she was crocheting on a sunday it would turn out wrong- she howled with laughter (wasn't the desired reaction).

Nowadays, we go to church twice and semi dress up. I find I don't have time to do a roast (I'll never work out how my Mum managed it!). To us, it is a day to be enjoyed.

pradabacon
October 26th, 2009, 07:55 AM
Since I work at home and live in shorts and tees or pj's, I actually wear *real* clothes on Sat/Sunday, my husband gets a kick out of it when I say *I feel weird wearing clothes* .... he knew what I meant but snickered anyways.

I wouldn't say it's my best, but hey, it ain't loungewear! :D

(the bra usually comes off within 2 hours and ends up in the backseat or my purse) One day I found about 3 or 4 bras in the backseat, that I had escaped from and stashed. I told hubs if he ever took the car to the shop they would really think he had a wild party in there. :cheese:

The shoes usually come off if I go to my Grans or it gets too hot, I think I am hopeless. Gran said when I was 5 and they took me to FL, the farther South we got the less clothes I had on, I guess I was in my undies by the time we arrived, I'm still about the same, lol.

http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Laughing/lol-003.gif

I'm with those who dress up in their Sunday Best PJs and stay in bed as long as possible. :)

JamieLeigh
October 26th, 2009, 09:46 AM
Other than being dragged to church by my parents, we used to eat Sunday lunch/dinner with my grandparents at their farm, and all us kids would play outdoors. Even in wintertime, it's not super-cold here, so it was fun. :)

angelthadiva
October 26th, 2009, 09:48 AM
<snip> I find I don't have time to do a roast (I'll never work out how my Mum managed it!). To us, it is a day to be enjoyed.

If you have a crockpot...Prepare and season the meat the night before, put it in the refrigerator.

I prepare a To Die for Roast

1 dry packet of brown gravy mix
1 dry packet of Italian dressing seasoning
1 dry packet of Ranch dressing mix

I open all three packets and put them in a small container w/a lid and shake to blend well...I sprinkle the container contents over the meat, but do NOT use all the mixture. Normally there is enough to do 2 more roasts. Just keep the mixture in the covered container and store in a cool/dry place.

Add about 1c. of water to the bottom of the crockpot. I usually cook 2# of carrots (I lurve them) :D add any other veggies your family likes. Cook on high, and by the time you are done w/church dinner should be done w/ little effort on your part.

The broth also makes a wonderful gravy base if you are into gravy! ;)

Samitra
October 26th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Growing up, we used to have Sunday dinner every week, when we ate in the dining room instead of the kitchen, with candles, at a nicely set table with the fancy china and glasses. It was always main course and dessert, sometimes even a starter. And me and my sisters got to drink soft drinks. (and as we all got older; wine). We never dressed up though. There were dinners when my youngest sister were sitting in her pyjamas, and the rest of us in our "stay at home clothes".

Now, when the family dinner is three hours away, me and DBF has started to build our own Sunday traditions. We get up late and have brunch at our nation where we stay and play board games for an hour or two. Sometimes more. For dinner, we have our traditional Sunday pizza.

But one day, I'll start having "real" Sunday dinners again! I miss it so much...

Lunimara
October 26th, 2009, 10:25 AM
No, sunday is pyjamas day.:D I always sleep late on sundays and spend the whole day in my pj's. Sometimes we may eat a proper dinner, which we never do on weekdays.

On sundays I also do all the schoolwork.

Newniepg
October 26th, 2009, 10:34 AM
I prepare a To Die for Roast

I misread this at first and thought it said 'I'm prepared to die for a roast' and was about to gently suggest seeking help! :D

Thanks for the suggestion of the crock pot, as soon as I find some of this 'ranch dressing' I shall try out your recipe. (And subsequently take all of the credit :wink:)

I am really enjoying reading the different traditions everyone has for a Sundays.

pradabacon
October 26th, 2009, 10:36 AM
Thanks for the recipe, Angel. I love my crock pot and that seasoning sounds delicious! :)

rhubarbarin
October 26th, 2009, 10:38 AM
Growing up my family was quite religious (Christian) so we always had to dress up for church. Dresses, nice shoes, special hats for holidays. Then, my parents INSISTED on blow-drying my hair into a giant cloud! I hated it so much, lol. The rest of the week my hair was always in braids.

The rest of Sunday was supposed to be a day of rest, so my parents had us stay in our good clothes and do quiet activities. My mom would make a special dinner every Sunday as well.

Now I am an atheist and I only dress up for weddings, funerals, and the rare party. If I want my hair to look nice, I wash it in the morning and let it dry in curls, then wear it down.

angelthadiva
October 26th, 2009, 02:35 PM
I misread this at first and thought it said 'I'm prepared to die for a roast' and was about to gently suggest seeking help! :D

Thanks for the suggestion of the crock pot, as soon as I find some of this 'ranch dressing' I shall try out your recipe. (And subsequently take all of the credit :wink:)

I am really enjoying reading the different traditions everyone has for a Sundays. :spitting: Bwahahahaha. I do need help, but not in the eating department; well...I suppose that is not entirely true either :shrug: You know what I'm saying. Oh, I'm telling you, you will love this simple recipe and by all means take all the credit! :flower:

Thanks for the recipe, Angel. I love my crock pot and that seasoning sounds delicious! :) Let me know how you like it. I've made it thousands of times; even for potlucks and there is never any leftovers...The meat is so tender the veggies are yummy :D As a side note: DH attempted to make this the other day and omitted the WATER :o He got confused about the roast vs. the chicken. The chicken does not need water, because it makes it's own. Needless to say, we ate out that night.
Oh, if you do the chicken, put the "chest" side down...Yummy, juicy fall off the bone delicious!

halo_tightens
October 26th, 2009, 02:51 PM
When I was a kid at home, we always put on our best clothes for Sunday morning church services. No excuses allowed-- if you weren't sick in bed, you were going to church!! Grandma would make a wonderful country dinner afterwards, fried chicken or roast beef, mashed potatoes and gravy, green beans... some sort of delicious Grandma-food like that. Then we'd all relax through the afternoon, maybe visit with family, and then go back to church for evening services. Evenings were more casual; everyone would just wear a nice shirt and their best jeans or slacks.

These days, DH and I still practice our beliefs, but we don't have a church that we go to or anything. (We can't find one that believes as we do-- I think many people find themselves in this situation.) So, Sundays are usually a day of rest and rejuvenation. I usually have a pj day, like many of you, and we might order food in instead of having to cook.

Merlin
October 26th, 2009, 02:51 PM
....Dresses, nice shoes, special hats for holidays.

Near us there is a very small chapel for the 'strict baptists'. One Sunday we were driving past while their service was ending - I didn't think there was anywhere left where girls still wore dresses like that, and straw boaters... It was like their parents had been channeling Enid Blyton

/threadjack
There, by the way, are not the same strict baptists who came out of their service to find me and one of my mates rattling the door of the pub opposite to find out if it was open yet!
/threadjack

pradabacon
October 26th, 2009, 03:06 PM
^^^I love it when people jack their own threads. :cheese:

Let me know how you like it. I've made it thousands of times; even for potlucks and there is never any leftovers...The meat is so tender the veggies are yummy :D As a side note: DH attempted to make this the other day and omitted the WATER :o He got confused about the roast vs. the chicken. The chicken does not need water, because it makes it's own. Needless to say, we ate out that night.
Oh, if you do the chicken, put the "chest" side down...Yummy, juicy fall off the bone delicious!

Lol.

I picked up a beef roast this afternoon (and dressing packets), so I'm going to try this out tomorrow. Mmmmm, can't wait! :D I'll just pretend it's Sunday. :laugh:

[/non-OP hijack]

marzipanfuntime
October 26th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Dear heavens that sounds delicious! If their isn't a recepie thread, their should be, and this should be in it!

mira-chan
November 2nd, 2009, 09:28 AM
I don't dress up on Sundays, as I have no religious affiliation it tends to be my catch up on writing and sleep day. If I were religious Saturday would be the dress up day for me as I'd probably be Jewish, due to family.

I do dress up on Saturdays usually as that's the time I go to Manhattan for my dance class and don't go to lab.

Eden Iris
November 2nd, 2009, 09:58 AM
My Sunday tradition since earliest childhood was to loll around and read for as long as possible before getting up and putting on some kind of clothing.

Now I have kids who rise with the sun, so there is no Sunday. The main difference between it and the other days of the week is that, in fall and winter, I have to listen to the accursed football unless I can convince the husband to go elsewhere to watch. (Sorry, fans, I hate it.)

angelthadiva
November 2nd, 2009, 10:17 AM
mira-chan: I love your Saturday best! :crush: Is it a dress or fancy overcoat?

viking_quest
November 2nd, 2009, 10:44 AM
When I used to go to church I would always dress nicely (my hair was short so I didn't bother with it), now that I don't leave the house on Sunday I just stay in my nighttime braid and pajamas.

Shastrix
November 2nd, 2009, 11:47 AM
As none of my family are religious Sundays were just like Saturdays except that you had to go to bed earlier. When I was younger we (mother, father, me and my sister) would dress up to go and play golf. If not playing golf we'd either do something as a family, or go our separate ways, but there was always the Sunday roast to look forward to. :D

Nowadays, if it is a Grand Prix weekend I’ll end up lounging about in my pyjamas most of the day; if not, I do like to get up early (depending on how sleep deprived I am) and do something productive with the day. If I have time I usually like to give my hair a treat and let it air dry afterwards as well. :)

AJoifulNoise
November 2nd, 2009, 11:53 AM
I grew up going to sunday school every sunday. I was to dress nice, but not super-nice. In other words, I could wear what I wore to school but not what I wore to play.

Later, when I joined a church it was the t-shirt and jeans kind of place. "Come as you are" they called it. So, it was the same thing. If I was presentable enough to, say, go to town then I was presentable enough for church.

When I left that church and decided to visit other churches I had to buy some "sunday best" clothes. It was kinda weird for me. I didn't even own a skirt at the time. Of course, then I joined a church that preached on being "sunday best" all the time... But, that's another story for another time.

mira-chan
November 6th, 2009, 03:03 PM
mira-chan: I love your Saturday best! :crush: Is it a dress or fancy overcoat?
Thanks.:D Though that's a dress for Halloween from a costume I made a while ago.

Lamb
November 6th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Interesting question. I am a bit ashamed to admit Sundays always tended to be more "relaxed" in terms of apparell than regular weekdays. The churches I used to attend growing up (and the church I attend these days) did not have a dress code, and, during the years I served as an altar girl, I really only payed attention to my shoes (no running shoes should peek out from under the vestments!)

I just grew up with the notion that God doesn't care as much as the old ladies in the front pew. :p

Carolyn
November 6th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Interesting question. I am a bit ashamed to admit Sundays always tended to be more "relaxed" in terms of apparell than regular weekdays. The churches I used to attend growing up (and the church I attend these days) did not have a dress code, and, during the years I served as an altar girl, I really only payed attention to my shoes (no running shoes should peek out from under the vestments!)

I just grew up with the notion that God doesn't care as much as the old ladies in the front pew. :pLMAO...at the 2 churches I've attended in my life, the old ladies always sat in the back row. I think they thought they had a better view of everyone. And yes, they do "care" :rolleyes:. Their cattiness knew no bounds. And they made sure you heard them "whispering". A real Christian bunch :nono:

Lamb
November 6th, 2009, 05:24 PM
LMAO...at the 2 churches I've attended in my life, the old ladies always sat in the back row. I think they thought they had a better view of everyone. And yes, they do "care" :rolleyes:. Their cattiness knew no bounds. And they made sure you heard them "whispering". A real Christian bunch :nono:
Heh, in my days, old ladies sat in the front because they were hard of hearing or couldn't see well. :p I got over their cattiness. I kinda liked the way they dressed up and got their hair done for Sunday, though. Fresh perms, a blue rinse or dye touch-up, that faint scent of moth balls emanating from their coat collars... :lol:

And, to be fair, there were some very sweet, wise, genteel old ladies in my church community who were true Christians in their Sunday best - every day of the week. :)

Carolyn
November 6th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Heh, in my days, old ladies sat in the front because they were hard of hearing or couldn't see well. :p I got over their cattiness. I kinda liked the way they dressed up and got their hair done for Sunday, though. Fresh perms, a blue rinse or dye touch-up, that faint scent of moth balls emanating from their coat collars... :lol:

And, to be fair, there were some very sweet, wise, genteel old ladies in my church community who were true Christians in their Sunday best - every day of the week. :)To be fair a few of the ladies were like that. And I did like a couple of them who wore buns. I remember them being critical of those women who dared to wear pants and those who didn't wear nylons in the summer. We always had to sit near the back because my dad said the flowers up front set off his allergies. They sat a row or two behind us and I could hear every loud stage whisper. I know they upset my mom a great deal but her main concern was that the row of church ladies were NOT talking about us. I felt like I had several sets of evil eyes on me.

Sunday best for me was always a dress back in those days with nylons after Easter Sunday in 4th grade and high heels after Easter Sunday in 8th grade. Those times were just kind of a rite of passage thing that the girls followed. Silly I know but that's the way it was. I have since learned to break lots of "the rules" :gabigrin:

Sissy
November 6th, 2009, 06:32 PM
my husband and I actually don't. However, this thread has me interested in what I might choose to do when we have children.