PDA

View Full Version : Different Deep Treatments

CavyQueen
October 25th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Hi! I use a different deep conditioning treatment each week. However, a lady at a hair product store told me that my hair will not benefit from using a different treatment each week. She told me that I need to use the same treatment continually every week. What is everyone's opinion? Is it not beneficial to use a different treatment each week? Do I need to use the same treatment each week? Thank you. :)

Sissy
October 25th, 2009, 03:22 PM
I wouldn't see why you'd need to use the same one everyweek. I sometimes do SMT, sometimes heavy overnight oilings (with a variety of oils), sometimes do protein treatments, sometimes do deep treatment with different conditioners/treatments. I have not noticed an issue with this.

Amara
October 25th, 2009, 03:23 PM
There's nothing wrong with using different treatments! There can be a cumulative benefit if your hair really likes one specific treatment, though. If you find one that your hair loves, you could try using it several weeks in a row. There are also some treatments that your hair might love ONCE but wouldn't be great too many weeks in a row - like a protein treatment for some people is good every once in a while but too much can be detrimental!

Arctic
October 25th, 2009, 03:27 PM
I think it has a lot to with ingredients, and what your hair likes and needs at any given time. If you have several different DTs that your hair likes, then go ahead :) Like Amara said, be wary of doing too much protein treatments, unless your hair is really damaged and/or otherwise adores proteins.

PS: I love your guineapig!

Carolyn
October 25th, 2009, 03:34 PM
I switch around with each DT. I go by what my hair seems to need. Do I need moisture? Do I want shine? and etc. Mostly I go for the moisture and throw in a protein treatment now and then. Don't pay any attention to what that lady said. I wouldn't.

JamieLeigh
October 26th, 2009, 10:16 AM
Sometimes variety actually does help your hair. If you use the same thing each time, you run the risk of having deposits settle in your hair or on your scalp, and you might have to clarify more often. Switching it up some is good for me, personally.

Also if you try out different things, you might discover something that works better for your hair than what you might already have been using. A chance like that is worth changing things up.

JCFantasy23
October 26th, 2009, 04:48 PM
I think it depends. She may mean it takes awhile sometimes for a certain oil or such to really show improved difference, and this can be true sometimes. Otherwise it's good for some hair to keep mixing things up and have changes.

vdhendrix
October 26th, 2009, 04:50 PM
lol that does not make any sense to me, i cant see how it would matter? and buy useing different ones you can keep finding better ones

Flynn
October 26th, 2009, 05:36 PM
*Eyeroll* Was the one treatment you were meant to keep using the one she was selling?

Different DTs are likely to behave differently in your hair.

Benefits: you get to find out which set of DTs are best for you. Any things that one DT doesn't achieve, the one you do next week might, though it might not do one thing that the previous week's did.

Harm: none whatsoever.

Keep switching 'em.

Shar2
October 26th, 2009, 06:38 PM
You don't have to do the same one each week as long as you have good ingredients in all your DT's. But, some things might have a cumulative effect over time so it may be a good idea to use the same thing over a few weeks.