PDA

View Full Version : Terrified

zainab
October 25th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Hi everyone. I've been coming to these fora every once in a while over the past year, just lurking though. I am posting for the first time here because I really need some help.

For about three weeks now, my hair has been falling in extreme amounts. I'll just be sitting reading a book and I'll look at my shirt, and there'll be a fistful of hair scattered all over it. It's worse in the shower. Every time I touch my hair, basically, a bunch falls out.

I am getting some blood work done but I'm pretty sure it will not show anything strange, because I had blood tests done a few months ago (for another problem) and they were clear.

Nothing has really changed in my life i.e. there are no new stressors, no trauma, no product changes. The only difference I can identify is that, due to a thread on these fora, I began using Monistat on my hair. It was shortly after that that my hair started falling. But that was some time ago and I only used the cream a few times, so I don't know why my hair has continued to fall.

The texture has also changed. My hair is a few inches below my shoulder-blades and it used to be incredibly thick and bouncy and curly. It is naturally dry but over the past few weeks, it feels rougher, looks and feels thinner, and there is absolutely no life left in it. A couple of people have noticed this as well so it is not just my imagination.

So, I need helps and suggestions please. I've started taking a hair vitamin, am also taking zinc, selenium, biotin, silica, omega-3s, and a prenatal. I shampoo my hair less. Anything else I should do? Very, very terrified so please help.

zainab
October 25th, 2009, 03:11 PM
Oh, and I should add that I don't use any styling products nor my hair. I never straighten/curl it nor do I dye it. I do use henna every once in a while. I am not on any prescription medication, nor am I using birth control.

Not really asking for a diagnosis here, but rather a plan that I can follow to get my hair back to how it used to be.

Shar2
October 25th, 2009, 03:15 PM
So sorry you're going through this. It sounds like it could be a bout of seasonal shedding that a lot of people go through. Hopefully one of the experts will chime in soon though.

Stephichan
October 25th, 2009, 03:19 PM
If the texture itself has changed, then I would look at what products you are using, since that part of your hair has long left the scalp and is no longer going to be affected by anything you take into your body. If it's really dry, maybe a dt or smt will help with that.

I'm also undergoing a massive shed unlike anything I've experienced before. I started taking biotin and evening primrose oil to see if they would help the shedding and the texture of what is growing in. My floor is just covered in my hair and what I'm losing in the shower when I shampoo is equal to what I used to lose in three showers. I recently began doing CO again and that is helping a bit.

Something I feel is rather important: be very careful with selenium. We do need it, but in very small amounts. In fact, it's pretty much covered in our diets. I'm pointing this out, because too much selenium is actually very poisonous. To quote my biochem professor when he mentioned selenium supplements in class the other day:

"Next thing you know, they'll be telling us that we have a mercury deficiency and that we need to start taking that too!"

zainab
October 25th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Shar2, someone suggested that as well, but I doubt that's the reason, because I have never, ever had my hair fall like this before.

And sorry for all the typos in my first two posts! I guess we're not allowed to edit what we wrote?

zainab
October 25th, 2009, 03:24 PM
If the texture itself has changed, then I would look at what products you are using, since that part of your hair has long left the scalp and is no longer going to be affected by anything you take into your body. If it's really dry, maybe a dt or smt will help with that.

What are dt and smt? And thanks for the selenium tip.

Stephichan
October 25th, 2009, 03:26 PM
Shar2, someone suggested that as well, but I doubt that's the reason, because I have never, ever had my hair fall like this before.

And sorry for all the typos in my first two posts! I guess we're not allowed to edit what we wrote?
Editing is possible, but you don't have enough posts yet. I don't remember the exact number you need.

Also, I believe a few members here have before talked about times that they went through a spontaneous massive shed that they had never experienced before or since. Perhaps that is what you're experiencing. Still, if you're that scared, I would get to a doctor.

Stephichan
October 25th, 2009, 03:28 PM
What are dt and smt? And thanks for the selenium tip.

Oh, dt is deep treatment. Basically you use some form of conditioner or oil and leave it on your hair for extended periods of time. SMT is Snowymoon's Moisture Treatment. You can read all about it here:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128

Taisyun
October 25th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Hiya, I'm no expert but I always used the Monistat cream in an attempt to grow faster and it made my hair fall out. I used it for about 3 days in a row and straight away I started seeing more hair loss in the shower, when I was lathering the shampoo there would be strands all over my hand. After 3 days I quit using the cream and my hair is back to normal now. Perhaps thats what caused yours too..

Kris Dove
October 25th, 2009, 03:39 PM
am also taking ...a prenatal.

nor am I using birth control.

Did you recently stop taking the contraceptive pill? Shedding can sometimes be a withdrawal symptom.

I echo the sentiments that you should see a doctor, just to rule out any underlying problems.

zainab
October 25th, 2009, 03:53 PM
I took myself off the pill more than six months ago. I've gone through cycles of taking it and coming off of it and generally experienced weight gain but not hair loss.

I've gone to the doctor already. We're waiting to see what my blood tests show. But as I mentioned, I had blood tests done only a short while ago and they were normal.

longhairedfairy
October 25th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Oh, my goodness. I hope everything is solved for you soon.:grouphug:

Debra83
October 25th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Any way you can be pregnant? Sometimes the baby takes nutrients from your body, if you are not supplying enough in your diet.

If everything comes back "normal" from the doctor, if I were you, I would start taking multivitamins - extra vit c (1000 mg in the morning, and 1000 mg before bed as it removes harmful substances) - vit e and vit a; Omega 3-6-9, calcium/magnesium syngergistic formula; folic acid; and vit D. (I take all this and more already). Try introducing more dairy and eggs. Whole milk is a complete protein, and I would even add the Carnation instant breakfast to it to give it a boost of nutrition. Eat more fish, chicken, and red meat. Salads and especially salad oil - very important. Eat 3 meals a day (don't skip any), and 2 or 3 healthy snacks (try to include all food groups in a snack plate: apple, cheese, whole wheat crackers, dates, nuts). Something is going on for your hair to change texture like that - it's a warning. And that it is falling out, bigger warning. Keep us updated.

klcqtee
October 25th, 2009, 09:15 PM
Could you be pregnant (I noticed you mentioned the prenatal vitamins)? I hear pregnancy can affect hair's texture (not just new hair, but hair that is already months or years old as well).

WaimeaWahine
October 25th, 2009, 09:18 PM
Same here. I used Monistat twice and had some serious hair loss. A lot of things can cause hair loss so as long as you've talked to your doctor about it hopefully you can find the cause and/or it will get better over time. :blossom: