PDA

View Full Version : Shrinkage?

09robiha
October 25th, 2009, 04:11 AM
After re-reading several threads i have notcied alot of talk about shrinkage. My hair general shrinks a couple of inches but if i remeber rightly shrinkage actually stopes happening at some point. Is this right? and when does it usual happen?

Quixii
October 25th, 2009, 04:13 AM
If your hair waves or curls at all, it will shrink. Unless your hair becomes so long that the wave is completely drawn out because of the weight and you now have 1a hair, you will always have shrinkage.
At least, that's what I'm led to believe.

Speckla
October 25th, 2009, 07:16 AM
It just depends on how strong/tight your curl pattern is vs how heavy your hair is. Heavier hair will pull out some of the curl or wave. My hair is medium weight and thickness so I still lose a lot of length. APL curly and BSL pulled straight.

curls2grow
October 25th, 2009, 03:09 PM
I have about 5 inches of shrinkage from wet to dry length. I've always had 4-6 inches of shrinkage but my hair has never been longer than BSL dry.

Gumball
October 25th, 2009, 03:19 PM
If your hair waves or curls at all, it will shrink. Unless your hair becomes so long that the wave is completely drawn out because of the weight and you now have 1a hair, you will always have shrinkage.
At least, that's what I'm led to believe.

I completely agree. From my observation any inherent characteristic of your hair that makes it flex in some way will cause shrinkage from wet to dry unless somehow it ends up in a 1a state by way of external tools used (since weight won't stretch out a wave or curl entirely).

Amara
October 25th, 2009, 03:26 PM
Even very straight hair like mine (I'm a 1b) can have some shrinkage. When dry, my hair is lighter and fluffier, so the pictures of it show a visually shorter length than the pictures of it when it's wet.

mwedzi
October 25th, 2009, 03:29 PM
Waves and curls = shrinkage. As long as some of your length is spent going in a circle rather than a straight line, it will not hang vertically as much as the equivalent straight length would. I always struggle to explain how these things are one and the same, but I think I'm never clear.

curlytiff27
October 25th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Yes, I have extreme shrinkage. Curly head here. Trust me, its 10x's worse with curly hair and layers. Thanks to a bad layer job...I've now got hair literally up to my ears and some about APL. Ugh....I hate scissors! lol

09robiha
October 26th, 2009, 02:22 AM
Thanks everyone for the replies