PDA

View Full Version : MSM or biotin?

jera
October 25th, 2009, 12:28 AM
Which gave you a better hair growth result? :confused:

julliams
October 25th, 2009, 12:34 AM
I'd also like to know if either product caused faster hair growth in other areas shudder:

Debra83
October 25th, 2009, 01:24 AM
MSM for me.

vdhendrix
October 25th, 2009, 03:48 AM
i use them both, i hate swallowing vitamins so i just pull apart the capletts and mix the powder in my protein shake, i dont think ive been doing them long enough to see a difference yet though

natorade
October 25th, 2009, 04:18 PM
Both are in my hair vitamins I take. I just wonder if I should bump up my MSM dosage.

Spring
October 25th, 2009, 05:45 PM
It's hard to tell which one causes the most growth. I know I have msm in a small amount in my joint supplements (it doesn't say the amount on the bottle), but if I take the capsule that's 1000 mgs, I get a headache. I've noticed an increase in hair growth since taking the supps with a small amount of msm (and no headaches :p) though.

Maddy25
October 25th, 2009, 05:52 PM
I'd also like to know if either product caused faster hair growth in other areas shudder:

I have been taking Biotin & MSM as well as several other hair vitamins and was worried about the same thing. But I have not noticed hair anywhere else growing any differently ;)

Vianka
October 25th, 2009, 05:53 PM
It's hard to tell which one causes the most growth. I know I have msm in a small amount in my joint supplements (it doesn't say the amount on the bottle), but if I take the capsule that's 1000 mgs, I get a headache. I've noticed an increase in hair growth since taking the supps with a small amount of msm (and no headaches :p) though.

I tried taking msm, but it gave me a headache, too! Now I just take 1 mg of biotin, plus whatever is in my multi-vitamin. I wonder what it is that causes those msm headaches?

Spring
October 25th, 2009, 05:59 PM
I tried taking msm, but it gave me a headache, too! Now I just take 1 mg of biotin, plus whatever is in my multi-vitamin. I wonder what it is that causes those msm headaches?

I don't know, ....maybe we should try a smaller dose :confused:.

Carolyn
October 25th, 2009, 06:24 PM
I take both. I have for several years. MSM helps reduce shedding. Less hair shed means thicker hair. Biotin is for better quality hair. I think they are doing different things for me.

Bellona
October 25th, 2009, 06:26 PM
I like the combination of biotin + msm. I had just been using biotin for a month and hadn't noticed any increase, but when I added msm too, I started getting .25-.5 more per month. I've only been using them together for about 3 months, so maybe my hair is just in a growth phase, but it seems that the msm really helped!

Also, I have noticed my eyebrows need to be plucked more often, but that's about it for other body hair issues :)

Spring
October 25th, 2009, 07:39 PM
I like the combination of biotin + msm. I had just been using biotin for a month and hadn't noticed any increase, but when I added msm too, I started getting .25-.5 more per month. I've only been using them together for about 3 months, so maybe my hair is just in a growth phase, but it seems that the msm really helped!

Also, I have noticed my eyebrows need to be plucked more often, but that's about it for other body hair issues :)

I noticed the same results, and I started biotin before msm as well. I did notice a difference in the texture of my hair at the nape with the biotin; it became more soft and looser.

Sissy
October 25th, 2009, 07:51 PM
I have not noticed hair anywhere else growing any differently ;)

neither have I. I take Biotin, MSM, evening primrose oil, and fish oils. There is also a small amount of silica in my multi-vitamin. Due to my taking all of these now it's hard to tell which one causes increased growth but it was just a few months ago that I added MSM and Evening Primrose to my routine and I have had a steady 1 inch per month growth since. So, I'm wondering if the MSM is the reason. I really can't say for sure though.

Spring
November 11th, 2009, 01:16 PM
For anyone who would like to take MSM but are experiencing headaches when taking it, this might work for you.

I was having terrible headaches when taking one 1000mg tablet of MSM, but for the last week, I've opened up the caplet and poured half of the MSM in my drink (taste like aspirin) in the morning and the other half at night, and I haven't experienced any headaches. I was really disappointed when I had to stop taking the MSM, but I'm happy to find that taking it in smaller doses works really good for me this far. So for those who would like to take it, but have suffered from headaches, maybe 500mg would work. HTH :)

Yarn Muse
November 11th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Where can you buy MSM? I was in Target the other day, and looked in their vitamin section but couldn't find it. Do you order it online? Or at a health food store or GNC? Thanks.

RancheroTheBee
November 11th, 2009, 01:31 PM

Me, too, actually. They're getting awfully bushy, which is quite the accomplishment considering I normally don't have eyebrows. Also, my armpits seem to be getting hairier. -_-; Yay.

Spring
November 11th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Where can you buy MSM? I was in Target the other day, and looked in their vitamin section but couldn't find it. Do you order it online? Or at a health food store or GNC? Thanks.

I buy MSM at Walmart, the brand is Spring Valley. I've also seen it at Whole Foods as well, and I'm pretty sure GNC would carry it, even though I've never looked for it while I was there. :)

mira-chan
November 11th, 2009, 02:36 PM
Biotin and any other B vitamin supplement does a number on my skin so I don't take that. I do take MSM for joint with the nice befit of hair being a bit sturdier.

pinchbeck
November 11th, 2009, 03:14 PM

Wow, 1/4" to 1/2" increase is a lot!

Sissy
November 11th, 2009, 05:05 PM

I get my MSM through GNC.