PDA

View Full Version : Now how on earth can this work? It works, but.. (pictures)

eadwine
April 21st, 2008, 02:53 PM
I have made my regular braided bun with a fork (bent needle) and then decided to stick some U pins in all around and see if it works with this bun too and pulled the fork out. This one needs a lot of clamp-hold power to keep the ends secure where they are.

Here is the result:

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/5116/bunpinshp7.th.jpg (http://img149.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bunpinshp7.jpg)

and from the side.. you can see pins here:

http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/8872/sidepinbunqb4.th.jpg (http://img212.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sidepinbunqb4.jpg)

The same thing with the scroos goes with this.. HOW on earth can this stay put?? I just don't get it! :lol:

Islandgrrl
April 21st, 2008, 03:36 PM
I wish I knew. Pins always seem to work their way out of my hair fairly quickly and get lost somewhere. I stick to forks & sticks.

Euphony
April 21st, 2008, 03:48 PM
It looks great!

I'm with Islandgrrl, pins don't work for me. I've tried and tried only to have them come out, I only find half of them...when I comb my hair is when I find the other half :rolleyes:

khyricat
April 21st, 2008, 03:55 PM
I never have pins hold, good for you... that looks great, enjoy it if it holds well..

Miss Murphy
April 22nd, 2008, 02:49 AM
I am wearing a braided bun today, held with 4 Amish pins. I've been doing it that way for a long time (sometimes I want my bun to be "pure", without any toys).

I have never wondered how it stayed put, though :)

willowcandra
April 22nd, 2008, 04:48 AM
I can hold mine with pins. That's how I held it for a few years until I could afford some gentle toys.

Miss Murphy
April 22nd, 2008, 04:51 AM
Come think of it, it took both the right sort of pins for me to work, as well as practice.
I had to use plenty more pins to hold it - even with less hair than I have now.

jel
April 22nd, 2008, 04:54 AM
I wouldn't know, as I don't have any pins :shrug: Except a couple of decorated pins (which are really tiny metal forks) and a bunch of bobby pins that I only ever use for helping a Chinese bun hold.

KnightsLady
April 22nd, 2008, 04:54 AM
I use pins all the time. If a bent needle works, why wouldn't a pin of a similar shape? ;)

frizzinator
April 22nd, 2008, 04:56 AM
The pins work in exactly the same way as a fork ...they have 2 prongs. A pin is just a skinnier version of your bent needle.

I insert pins exactly as I insert hair sticks and forks ...insert in the wrong direction first, then flip over and push in.

The screws work because they catch hair in so many different spots, and it's impossible for the hair to escape.

Leisha
April 22nd, 2008, 05:32 AM
Why wouldn't it work?

I can hold up my bun with a single amish pin (tested it yesterday ;)).

Pins like that (U-shaped) have been around for ages I guess, I can imagine women used to put their hair up with them a looooong time ago :)

Especially with a braided bun, as the hair is braided (duh :D) so even the bits that are not held by the pins, are held by other pieces of hair, you know?

ETA: I insert the pins the same way as frizzinator does :agree:

heidihug
April 22nd, 2008, 07:49 AM
I can hold my cinnabun or braided bun up with just two bobby pins. Although now I am using the wide plastic pins, as they give a bit more of a firm hold. I think I can get away with it because my hair is relatively fine and thin. Anyone with thick, heavy hair won't be able to do that as easily, I would think.

eadwine
April 22nd, 2008, 09:53 AM
The pins work in exactly the same way as a fork ...they have 2 prongs. A pin is just a skinnier version of your bent needle.

I insert pins exactly as I insert hair sticks and forks ...insert in the wrong direction first, then flip over and push in.

The screws work because they catch hair in so many different spots, and it's impossible for the hair to escape.

Quite interesting! I do it that way too. When I need a good hold that I want to be SURE that it won't sag, I add a scroo or two.

I have been emailing with someone from Plainly Dressed recently, and I asked her how she uses the pins. It was totally different!

"The pins are used just like a regular "bobby pin." It is inserted exactly
the same way into the hair arrangement, however you would use a bobby pin."

Now isn't a bobby pin inserted one pin along the scalp, the other pin catching bun hair?

Just wondering!

frizzinator
April 22nd, 2008, 10:35 AM
I agree with you Eadwine ....if you correspond with her again, please ask how she uses a bobby pin ....do her bobby pins hold because of the tension between the prongs or do they hold just because there are 2 prongs .

eadwine
April 22nd, 2008, 11:26 AM
I already did. I explained to her how I did it, and then explained what I THOUGHT a bobby pin is used like (explained above). Asking her if I had been doing it wrong all this time :lol: Obviously since it holds it cannot be wrong, but I wanted to know because her reply on bobby pins confused me.

We'll see what she replies :)

eadwine
April 22nd, 2008, 11:45 AM
I got the reply. She says she does it like I do. One mystery solved ;)