PDA

View Full Version : Experimenting with hair?

Pburgh56
October 24th, 2009, 10:36 PM
Hi, Im on my way to growing long hair and my goal is waist length locks. Right now my hair is collar length and it is growing fast and is getting long and I love it. I actually feel like I have long hair. I love looking in the mirror and shaking my head and having all my hair flop around. I have come to love experimenting with hairstyles. The other night I got small hairties and put my hair all up in 4 little ponytails :) Do any of you like experimenting with new styles and what styles can you think of that I can try?

Amara
October 24th, 2009, 10:46 PM
My favorite thing is trolling around albums to look for new hairstyles. Have fun experimenting! :)

ericthegreat
October 24th, 2009, 10:53 PM
Dude slow down! Seriously I've been holding off on telling you this but I've been reading a lot of your posts and its clear that you are way too obsessed with your hair and about what other people think about you having long hair. You want the real secret to growing long, healthy hair?

Be patient. Just let it grow. If you keep thinking about your hair every second, then no it will never appear to grow any longer for you. I didn't grow all of my hair overnight either, it took me several years and I simply let it grow without stressing out about it.

Also, if you really want to grow your hair long, then do so without caring what other people will have to say about it. The fact is, no matter who you are, not everyone in this world will like you or like how you choose to look. So why worry about what anyone else thinks about you? The only opinion that should matter to you is your own opinion and(God if you believe in Him).

I hope this helps you. :)

Gumball
October 24th, 2009, 11:00 PM
New styles can be fun sometimes. As long as you're doing what you enjoy then things will flow smoothly. If you feel like experimenting, which it seems you do since you're very eager and excited about the journey you are undertaking, then go for it and have a great time. I experimented with various ways to wear my hair as I grew it out. I had loads of excitement, too, as well as a lot of fun.

As for suggestions just look around and if you see something you want to try then try it out. If it's not something you can do with your current length then leave it on the back burner until the time comes where you can give it a go.

Dude slow down! Seriously I've been holding off on telling you this but I've been reading a lot of your posts and its clear that you are way too obsessed with your hair and about what other people think about you having long hair.</snip>

Some people are just more vocal about their excitement and worries than others may be. In the end no harm no foul.

JamieLeigh
October 26th, 2009, 10:24 AM
I love experimenting with my hair, lol. I've been on this site for a year, and I know there's no way that I've seen everything there is to see as far as styles. :o

It's nice that you're enjoying your hair growth journey - I would disagree with ericthegreat in that you're too excited. Mainly I'm impressed that you're in that "awkward" stage that most people would give up and cut short again - yet you're ENJOYING it, and that's very cool and unusual. :)....however I would agree with him when he says that you do NOT need to worry so much about what other people think of your hair and how it looks. Grow it for YOU. Not for US or your FAMILY. YOU. :flower:

Fethenwen
October 26th, 2009, 11:58 AM
Dude slow down! Seriously I've been holding off on telling you this but I've been reading a lot of your posts and its clear that you are way too obsessed with your hair and about what other people think about you having long hair. You want the real secret to growing long, healthy hair?

Be patient. Just let it grow. If you keep thinking about your hair every second, then no it will never appear to grow any longer for you. I didn't grow all of my hair overnight either, it took me several years and I simply let it grow without stressing out about it.

Also, if you really want to grow your hair long, then do so without caring what other people will have to say about it. The fact is, no matter who you are, not everyone in this world will like you or like how you choose to look. So why worry about what anyone else thinks about you? The only opinion that should matter to you is your own opinion and(God if you believe in Him).

I hope this helps you. :)

Hah, that's what I was thinking :p

It is sooo easy and very common to become obsessed when one first joins these forums. Especially if it the first time your hair has ever been long. Take it easy and focus on other things for a while, and your hair will be long before you know it :D

But I could throw in a few styling tips anyway, I love experimenting myself. Mmm, how about learning how to french braid just for the sake of it :)

Here's a short video on how to braid short hair:

http://www.ehow.com/video_4950987_french-braid-short-hair.html

Maddy25
October 26th, 2009, 01:30 PM
I love to play around with my hair and expiriment! I dont do it too often though because I love the feeling when I finnaly do it, that it has grown enough to do new styles than the last time!

linda g
October 26th, 2009, 01:37 PM
I think at your length, I played around more with product than with particular styles.

I bought goop to scrunch into waves/curls, I bought goop to make it spiky, I bought goop that gave it texture and I could make it messy. etc, etc, etc. I even put in some stuff that made it blue and spiky (halloween, my kids loved it).

I just threw away a bunch of this stuff, because I don't plan on going back to the length that works with all the pomades and gels and whatnots.

But it *was* fun.

linda g
October 26th, 2009, 01:38 PM
And last night I sat in front of my computer watching hairstick demo videos and played along. Every now and then I'd get one to work and I'd let out a whoop. My husband thinks I am insane.

Naters
October 26th, 2009, 01:44 PM
I think its great to be excited about your growth, but i do agree with what the others have said. you shouldnt worry to much about what other people think, just try and do something that makes you happy! :)

Pburgh56
October 27th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Thanks everyone I appreciate it. I am definately excited and you are right that I should not care what other people think :) You can never get excited enough over long hair.

Pburgh56
October 27th, 2009, 10:50 AM
I love experimenting with my hair, lol. I've been on this site for a year, and I know there's no way that I've seen everything there is to see as far as styles. :o

It's nice that you're enjoying your hair growth journey - I would disagree with ericthegreat in that you're too excited. Mainly I'm impressed that you're in that "awkward" stage that most people would give up and cut short again - yet you're ENJOYING it, and that's very cool and unusual. :)....however I would agree with him when he says that you do NOT need to worry so much about what other people think of your hair and how it looks. Grow it for YOU. Not for US or your FAMILY. YOU. :flower:

Thanks JamieLeigh I really appreciate it. I am sooo excited that my hair is at least longer whether it is in the awkward phase or not. How is your hair going?

yellowchariot
October 27th, 2009, 11:07 AM
My favorite thing is trolling around albums to look for new hairstyles. Have fun experimenting! :)

^AH You troll! :knuckle:! lol j/k! That's why I spray a whole can of Troll Away on my albums! to keep the trolls out! :D

Hey Pburgh56, Have your tried making a "banded ponytail" / "French ponytail"? Use very small elastic bands. Make a small ponytail at the crown of your head, and then work your way down using small sections of hair from both sides of your head incorporating them into your main ponytail going all of the way down. If your hair is collar length, you just might be able to squeeze it all in there.

peace out!

pinkbunny
October 27th, 2009, 11:17 AM
I like to pay attention to Hollywood for hair styles - not the common ones, though! I'll watch fashion news shows, music videos, and look through magazines/tabloids. I remember the first time I saw Madonna sporting large "corn rows" in her music video Human Nature - I tried it on myself the next chance I got (and I still do it sometimes)!

Just look at what's around you and you'll start noticing cool hairdos! Oh, and there's tons of tutorials on youtube if you can't figure out how it's done...

Mutinous
October 27th, 2009, 11:55 AM
I would experiment with styles at the moment. Do all the crazy things with your hair now before its too heavy to do it! E.g. spikes/fauxhawks and the like! I like wearing a quiff as well in the fringe which you could do as well!

Sheltie_Momma
October 27th, 2009, 12:04 PM
It's hard to know if someone is truly "worried" about what others think or just likes to be chatty about hair and is starting a conversation. I think our pal Pburgh is just being chatty! If I were a boy with flippy collar length hair I would do it like Chad Rogers on Million Dollar Listings on the Bravo channel.

Pburgh56
November 4th, 2009, 10:02 AM
Thanks everyone. Yellowchariot I really like that idea. I will have to try that in case i can do that now. If not def it should be coming soon. Do you have any videos or anything on it? or did u try it?

hmmm
November 5th, 2009, 07:24 AM
This is a great idea for a thread, Pburgh! I'm at this stage too, and all I can do are little funny-looking ponytails. I was searching the forums for ideas yesterday, but I only found things for shoulder-length hair, this is much better.
I liked that video that was posted above too. Thanks Fethenwen!

spidermom
November 5th, 2009, 08:12 AM
One thing I want to caution you about. If experimenting with your hair includes looking for growth about 9 times a day, you're going to get frustrated because you're never going to see any progress. I had to force myself to hurry up/quick put my hair up without even looking at it and only check the length in the mirror about once a month. Then I was happier because I could see progress.

Pburgh56
November 7th, 2009, 09:33 AM
Thanks I hope we get more responses :) I love finding new hair ideas.

jojo
November 8th, 2009, 11:47 AM
One thing I want to caution you about. If experimenting with your hair includes looking for growth about 9 times a day, you're going to get frustrated because you're never going to see any progress. I had to force myself to hurry up/quick put my hair up without even looking at it and only check the length in the mirror about once a month. Then I was happier because I could see progress.
Listen to this advise, I was advised this by SM and it was the best advise I got.:)

marikamt
November 8th, 2009, 11:52 AM

Haha!!! I did that my first month (maybe two.... :oops: ).... I am *still* on here (LHC ) waayyyyy to much :) but I have stopped compulsively measuring.......