PDA

View Full Version : How do you airdry your hair?

julliams
October 24th, 2009, 10:00 PM
Just loose indoors, loose outdoors, in a braid, in a bun?

Do you comb it through, scrunch?

Do you use a leave in? Which one?

Arashi
October 24th, 2009, 10:08 PM
I squeeze the water out when I get out of the shower, gently comb it out, put it in a high ponytail and then braid it until it dries.

CindyLea1
October 24th, 2009, 10:14 PM
I detangle when I condition, in the shower. Wrap it in a towel while I get dressed. Finger comb it and style. Most days I bun it, some days I leave it loose and go about my day.

I don't add anything special. Maybe coconut oil here and there, but not as a general rule.

mechanolatry
October 24th, 2009, 10:15 PM
Usually I towel dry it gently, then put it in one of those towel wrap things for about 30 minutes. After that I take it down, wrap a loose bun and hold it with hairsticks until it drys. If I don't do that- fizz city!

Amara
October 24th, 2009, 10:16 PM
I squeeze it gently dry with my shower towel and then with a new, dry towel to get as much water as possible off of it. Then I put a little bit of coconut oil on the ends, and finger comb. Then I put it up in a bun! Usually a top-of-the-head bun, cause I wash at night. By morning it's still quite damp. I take it down and finger comb - fluff it a bit and then put it up in a different updo. By the end of that day it's *mostly* dry.

Rini
October 24th, 2009, 10:17 PM
I wash my hair, put in some AVG while it's sopping wet and then totally don't touch it AT ALL until it's completely dry. The best results are when it dries slowly and I don't go outside (could take all day!) :D

Liat
October 24th, 2009, 10:25 PM

LittleOrca
October 24th, 2009, 10:27 PM
I usually leave it loose to air dry, but I have put it in braids when I had to go somewhere. Sometimes I apply oil when its wet, but I often wait until it's dry so I can make sure I didn't use too much oil in it.

BranwenWolf
October 24th, 2009, 10:28 PM
Loose, a bit of Suave naturals on the ends if it feels dry, and overnight as I sleep. (towel on my pillow)
I tried coconut oil while wet and that didn't work.
Prior to being loose I wad it in a towel on my head out of the shower, leave it for a few minutes, then turn the towel over and wad it again.

It's still damp some mornings because I shower late and sometimes I'll go to school with it loose and uncombed, but it's usually dry by 9am or so.

Rivanariko
October 24th, 2009, 10:29 PM
I squeeze out what water I can in the shower, then wrap it up in a towel for a few minutes, then just leave it to dry down. If I put it up, it'll never dry. Usually I'll part it and bring half over each shoulder so I'm not sitting against it on the couch or anything. When it's mostly dry (or as long as I can stand it) I'll finger comb the tangles out very gently, then either put it up for the day or braid it for bed.

Sissy
October 24th, 2009, 10:32 PM
I squeeze out as much water as possible in the shower, then wrap it immediately in a microfiber towel.

I do the same first step. I get dressed then I take my hair out of the towel and use my leave-ins and finger comb through my hair. Then I comb it with my wide toothed seamless hairsense comb :) and let it air dry loose. The leave-ins I usually use are Biosilk (has cones) and GVP Sebastian Potion 9 Generic (cone free I think). I also like Giovanni Direct Leave-in :)

Hope this helps!

julliams
October 24th, 2009, 10:42 PM
I'm amazed at how different our routines are. I am experimenting at the moment so I still don't have any particular way but I am finding that I am liking my hair better when I don't scrunch as it doesn't curl up as much and looks less messy.

Yesterday I did the scrunch thing with gel went out and walked around like I was an "it" girl. When I got home and looked at the back at my head I was shocked to realise it was all frizzy. Oh well, at least I carried myself through it - lol :doh:

jojo
October 24th, 2009, 10:49 PM
I just wash, condition, put a towel over my shoulder and let it drip dry with a little oil in. I dont pat my hair unless I am in a hurry.

Gumball
October 24th, 2009, 11:07 PM
I squeeze a good amount of water out of my hair before I even step out of the shower. Then, while it's drying, I run my comb through it just a little but (being gentle of course). I do that because it tangles all gnarly if I don't. When it's shrank up a little (enough water left it to give it some elasticity again), I (more often than not) braid it and bun it. That usually means I have a slightly damp braid at the end of the evening when I'm getting ready for bed. That doesn't bother me too much. My hair is usually mostly if not all dry by some point the next day. I wash once, sometimes twice, a week.

vdhendrix
October 25th, 2009, 03:38 AM
i just squeeze mine out and finger comb and let it dry loose, lol i go to work everyday with wet hair

pinchbeck
October 25th, 2009, 04:43 PM
After my hair has been in a towel turbin I :

1) Squeeze excess water out with the towel.
2) Divide my hair in two section in preparation for seamless wide tooth combing
3) Carefully comb out tangles
4) Bend my head over and shake my head to aerate my hair
5) Flip it back and finger comb through any new tangles just created
6) In summer I go cut the grass so it dries faster or I let it air dry inside

Madame J
October 25th, 2009, 04:47 PM
I blot with a towel, then twist into a towel-turban after I dry my body, leave it for five-ish minutes. After I take it down, I oil it lightly on the ends if I've just shampooed, and detangle. Then I leave it loose for at least an hour. If I'm able to be lazy, I lay out on the couch and fling my hair over the arm to dry without leaving my back soggy. Sometimes it's not completely dry before I put it up, but I try to get it most of the way there. Probably takes two or so hours to dry completely, which it generally only gets if I shower early in the morning, or on Saturdays.

lilish
October 25th, 2009, 04:50 PM
When I get out of the shower I gently towel pat it, then put it up in a turban until I am dressed. Then I take it out of the towel and let it air dry. I gently finger comb, then wide-tooth comb it when it is completely dry. I take night showers so I am not concerned with frizz because who is going to see me? After wearing my hair in an up-do the next day it smooths out and straightens quite a bit anyway.

heatherdazy
October 25th, 2009, 05:08 PM
In braids!

Before LHC, I always wore my hair straight and cutting my blowdrying and flat ironing to less than 2-3x a week required a huge exertion of willpower. I am moving in January so I decided never wearing my hair straight here didn't matter anyway, so I'm airdrying into braid waves every time for the next few months! Once I move, I will probably mix it up a bit more, but I will still keep my heat styling down to 2-3x a month.

Brat
October 25th, 2009, 05:17 PM
I get out of the shower, lay a towel over my shoulders for the hair to sit on. I try to leave it as dripping wet as possible. Then brush, run my fingers through it once to separate some strands, spray some spray gel generously (either Tigi Catwalk Frisky or Frizz Ease Spiral Style), turn upside down and scrunch gently, then DO NOT TOUCH until it's dry. My curls come out best like this. If I touch it or let it dry too much before spraying, it's frizzy.

Addy
October 25th, 2009, 05:33 PM
I flip my head over soaking wet and wrap with towel before I step out of the shower. I dry off and get dressed and take my hair down. Sometimes I'll comb it and sometimes I won't but more often than not, I'll comb it with my wide tooth comb and leave it dry from there.

If I feel like braiding and/or bunning for the day, I will do that before it dries.

sally_neuf
October 25th, 2009, 05:35 PM
I finger comb while wet, then headbang to detangle.. and just let it be!
It works great, not one single knot afterwards (oof course, I'm a conehead, 1a hair, shoulder lenght, so you'll see me cursing in 1 year)

Ryanne
October 25th, 2009, 05:50 PM
I lightly wrap the towel around myself, also covering my hair, until I dress. My hair remains loose, at that point it's still very wet, and I may or may not apply conditioner. If I wash at night or have to go somewhere I'll bun/braid it.

Xandergrammy
October 25th, 2009, 05:54 PM
I apply some type of leave-in, gel or curl cream after washing (I have several). Then I usually just pull the front back with a plastic headband and let the rest be loose. It usually dries indoors because I wash before work. Sometimes if my hair gets in my way at work, I'll put it in a loose braid until I get home, and then I let it loose again so it can fully dry. I also remove my head band when I get home so that the hair that was under the band all day can dry.

windinherhair
October 25th, 2009, 05:58 PM
I leave it up in a towel for a few minutes. Then I let it air dry straight. When it isn't as damp, then I finger comb out some of the tangles and later I use my wooden comb when it is completely dry.

I don't put my hair up in a bun because it will not dry completely that way.

Jessikinz
October 25th, 2009, 06:11 PM
I gently squeeze my hair with a towel and then I place the towel on my back (the longer side of the towel). Then I clip it around my neck like a cape. It looks silly but it saves from getting my shirt all wet. Sometimes when I remember to I will add a tiny bit of conditioner and run it through the length of my hair and my ends. And I take the towel off when my hair is about half way dried. Then I will add a little bit of coconut oil on the ends and leave it down until it completely dries.

Alexannee10
October 25th, 2009, 07:55 PM
I just comb them while wet (I know this it'd bad ..) and I let dry with hair down.

Debra83
October 25th, 2009, 08:10 PM
Soaking wet I put some mixed chicks in it, and leave it airdry loose. No comb/no towel/no nothing.

Dars
October 25th, 2009, 08:25 PM
After I rinsed out the conditioner I don't touch my hair until it's dry. I go about my day as normal.

SurprisingWoman
October 25th, 2009, 08:30 PM
I put it in a clip while I am in the shower so I can wash my body. Then I turban it in a towel after drying my body. Then it goes down, a light finger combing and off I go. If I have to go out in the car to a function I will roll down the windows, turn up the stereo and drive while I flip my hair around. I usually have to leave the driver's side window up do my hair doesn't fly out but it's like blow drying without heat. The other drivers think I am NUTS, but I am always careful. I don't part it until it's dry and until it is dry I usually flip the top to the opposite side of my natural part for more volume.

amoulixes
October 25th, 2009, 09:29 PM
Comb before washing. Then I make sure all of my hair is slicked back over the top of my head. I try to squeeze gently but strong enough to get a good amount of the water out. I may wrap it in a towel until I'm dressed, or put the towel around my shoulders and back. Then I don't touch it. No leave-ins yet, though I am looking for one that suits me. The reason for the "slicked" back action is to give my bangs lift once it's dry. I will finally comb; wide tooth if still a little damp, or wide then fine if totally dry. :)

prittykitty
October 25th, 2009, 09:37 PM
I use a leave in and let it dry, usually inside but sometimes I am outside. After my hair is almost all the way dry I put my coconut oil in and quickly go over my hair with a blow dryer on a warm setting. This is to make sure my hair is fully dry and to kind of give it a style. I am trying to quit blow drying forever as soon as my hair gets a little longer and is more manageable.

Rini
October 26th, 2009, 12:08 AM
Soaking wet I put some mixed chicks in it, and leave it airdry loose. No comb/no towel/no nothing.

I know I haven't been around much lately.....but what is mixed chicks? :confused:

RancheroTheBee
October 26th, 2009, 12:09 AM
My hair is still pretty short, so I just leave it hanging there. I don't comb, and I don't often add any product, but catnip has a way of bringing out my curls really well for some reason.

marzipanfuntime
October 26th, 2009, 12:17 AM
I towel squeeze it, gently comb, let it sit, then decide it looks like a horrible grease ball and rise and blow dry!
Air drying gives my hair the blower dryer dt's.

JCFantasy23
October 26th, 2009, 03:15 AM
I gently squeeze the water out while in the shower. Sometimes I wrap my hair in a towel turban. Usually I let it hang there and air dry. However, my hair seems take longer lately so I'm open to suggestions. I do not comb it while it's wet.

dernhelm
October 26th, 2009, 03:38 AM
My hair dries best when it is contained in a low, loose ponytail held by a scrunchie. I do have to take the scrunchie out every so often so I don't get that line of kinked hair.

Pachamama
October 26th, 2009, 03:39 AM
Head flips and wind...

zombi
October 26th, 2009, 03:57 AM
loose indoors. I only comb the fringe/bangs section, then rest I may run fingers through or may not, depending on my mood. I usually just apply a little spray to keep it from frizzing and then scrunch the waves a bit and then just let it dry.

Lize
October 26th, 2009, 04:01 AM
I generally don't wash my hair when I have to go outside. (So rarely in the mornings.) I mostly wash at night or in the afternoon. I squeeze out as much water as I can using my microfiber hair towel, and then just let it hang there. Sometimes I slightly finger comb parts of it so it won't dry in a goofy shape. When it's almost dry I lightly oil the lower part of it using coconut oil.

nowxisxforever
October 26th, 2009, 04:54 AM
Depends.

Most of the time I squish it so it's not dripping (from roots to ends, after my shower) and toss it over the top of my pillow while I sleep.

I washed it this morning as opposed to last night, so I squished it so it wasn't dripping, applied a little jojoba oil to the length, and now am chilling with it down while I'm on the computer before work. :)

Carolyn
October 26th, 2009, 06:17 AM
It varies from wash to wash. The majority of the time it's loose and in doors. I often put at a little Aveda ABC or Phyto 9 on the length. In warmer weather I'll go outside for a few minutes to speed up drying time. Most of the time it's too windy where I live to do that. I comb with a wide toothed comb when wet and most often just leave it alone during the drying process. Sometimes I'll comb it a few times while it's drying to make it straighter. If I braided it when it's wet/damp, I plan to leave it in the braid when it's dry. I hate braid waves.

Babyfine
October 26th, 2009, 08:33 AM
Loose almost all the time. I put in a leave-in or natural gel and comb through and scrunch- then put some clips in the top for volume- then don't touch until it's dry to enhance my waves.

JamieLeigh
October 26th, 2009, 09:14 AM
Depends on whether I have to leave the house and how cold it is. Normally, I just leave it loose, but if I leave the house I cinnabun it with a scrunchie (instead of a stick, like I do for a dry cinnabun - to reduce the chance of breakage while it's wet). If it's cold out, I bun it as above and throw on my Mike Nesmith-style green wool hat. :p

ritza
October 27th, 2009, 11:28 PM
Section hair in 6 parts,twists,put hair butter /oil on ends then use rollers (just for the ends)

Happy Hair Growing!:cool:

yellowchariot
October 27th, 2009, 11:33 PM
During the summer, I would actually take the convertible top down, or the T-Tops off (whichever car I was in) and go down the interstate 70mph. My hair was dry in less than 5 min ;)

Now that is getting colder, I just comb it straight down, and that's it. . . Not as fun, and it takes a lot longer, about 30-45min

melikai
October 28th, 2009, 12:20 PM
I wrap mine gently in a towel and leave it for about 10 minutes. Then, I let it dry for another 10 minutes or so, and when it is just slightly damp I carefully use a wide-toothed comb to detangle it. I let it sit down my back to fully dry, or else if I am sitting in a chair I'll wrap it loosely once and let it sit on my neck...if that makes any sense. :ponder: My hair takes forever to dry.

Anje
October 28th, 2009, 12:59 PM
Turban it for a few minutes, to get rid of all the drips. Usually then I detangle it and leave it loose indoors, if I'm just around home or somewhere where I'm not worried about my hair. If I'm going out, it gets braided or bunned.

Pifkin
October 28th, 2009, 01:06 PM
I squeeze out a lot of water after I shower and use a Turbie Twist until I get dressed. Then, I take it out, detangle with a wide-toothed comb, flip my head over and comb it down (this gives me more body, and I've noticed that if I don't do this, my hair gets really flat at the top), and put the Turbie Twist back on while I put moisturizer on and any makeup I'm wearing that day. Take it off, shake my head a bit and finger comb any tangles that may have formed and put in coconut oil. Then I let it air dry, which takes about an hour.

Coriander
October 28th, 2009, 03:22 PM
Normally I will gently comb it out with a wooden comb, add oil if it needs it, and put it up in one of those turban towel things. I then tend to forget about it until I need to leave the house.

If I'm in a hurry, I'll put it in a loose bun with a Ficcare or braid it.

BritishBraider
October 28th, 2009, 04:24 PM
towel dry, then rest the towel on my shoulders and rest hair on it, takes a while.....

meichigo
October 28th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Turban for a bit when I get out of the shower, let it down, fix my part and my bangs, and then forget about it. So it airdries fully indoors or partially indoors and partially outdoors depending on what I need to do when I get out of the shower.

gnegirl
October 28th, 2009, 05:15 PM
Towel dry, combed out gently, and then the car dryer takes care of the rest :). Its usually a bit damp when I step into the office.

Eniratak
October 28th, 2009, 05:19 PM
I towel dry my hair, put in Silk Drops, comb out the tangles and then let it be until morning. XD. Pretty much.

Arctic
October 28th, 2009, 06:03 PM
I usually wash my hair at night just before going to sleep. When I step out of the shower I squeeze most water out of my hair gently, then coil the length at the back of my head and make a turban from a t-shirt. After about 10 minutes I take the turban off, apply my scalp potion (aloe vera + essential oils) and leave-in. Then I fluff the scalp hairs a little to minimize cow lick I have and go to bed where I spread the hair over my pillow. Comb in the morning.

If I wash in the morning I do all the same things but leave the hair down while it dries, I don't like damp buns unless the hair is almost dry before bunning. If I am in hurry and have to leave before it's dry or almost dry I braid it (though now it's bit too short for braiding).

I usually let it dry without combing but occasionally comb when it's still wet. Doesn't seem to make any difference. ETA: I might scrunch the waves a bit.

GlassEyes
October 28th, 2009, 06:08 PM
******* answer: I dry it. With air. You know, by not doing...anything whatsoever.

Reality: I use a microfiber towel or a tee-shirt as a turban, squeeze out excess water after that, then let air do it's thing. :D

YoginiCelestial
October 28th, 2009, 07:07 PM
When out of shower, wrap in towel for a few minutes. Get dressed, then gently open towel and drop head down, gently patting dry for a couple of minutes. Flip head back and use a wide toothed comb, more like a pick. Slide through to get out tangles. Then squeeze a dime sized dallop of argan oil in one palm. Rub hands together then rake gently through hair, and delicately finger twirl loose curls around my face. Then gently scrunch up some to activate a few curls. Then go to work. I turn on the heat in my car (since it's cooler temps here now) and point toward my hair and by the time I arrive at work, it's about half way dry. By 9:00 am completely dry.
I wash twice, a week and sometimes will just hold my head under the water to rinse then pat dry. Usually I do that on the weekend.

Teacherbear
October 28th, 2009, 07:19 PM
I brush it through (with my Denman :love: ). Then I do one of the following:

Put it in a bunch of scrunchies and let it dry over night

Let it air dry, fluffing and scrunching it as it dries (indoors or outdoors).

OR

Put it up into a bun, held by a Ficcare Maximas, and let it dry that way.

xkmx
October 28th, 2009, 07:34 PM
I'm pretty simple/lazy with my routine:
1. Detangle in shower.
2. Gently squeeze out water with a towel.
3. Put up in a bun.

:)

Granted, it takes a long time to dry but I hate the feeling when my hair is half dry/damp... So I just bun it.

sweetestday
October 28th, 2009, 07:40 PM
I usually wash in the evening, early enough so it can mostly dry before I go to bed. I towel it up for a bit, then let it down to air dry. Before bed I braid it, or sometimes my sweet husband will comb it out and braid it for me while we watch a video. Lately the videos have been about field dressing deer. :P