PDA

View Full Version : Check out my hair cuff

mwedzi
October 24th, 2009, 08:50 PM
I originally crocheted this as a necklace a while ago. So I tried it as a cuff for my bun, held with a stick I got from Ebay. I really like it. :D I can't believe it took something so wide to cover it. It's more than 10" (25cm)! Though I could get away with a bit shorter, I think. The stick is 8", I think.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v194/mwedzi/hair%20-%20part%202/cuffback.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v194/mwedzi/hair%20-%20part%202/cuffquarter.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v194/mwedzi/hair%20-%20part%202/cuffside.jpg

YoginiCelestial
October 24th, 2009, 08:55 PM
[QUOTE=mwedzi;827073]I originally crocheted this as a necklace a while ago. So I tried it as a cuff for my bun, held with a stick I got from Ebay. I really like it. :D I can't believe it took something so wide to cover it. It's more than 10" (25cm)! Though I could get away with a bit shorter, I think. The stick is 8", I think.

That's really clever! Great idea! Looks very nice.
:)

Longlocks3
October 24th, 2009, 08:58 PM
Very pretty!

Shermie Girl
October 24th, 2009, 09:02 PM
That is really pretty. And creative, too.

Looove that stick! :D

Liat
October 24th, 2009, 09:03 PM

Tresses
October 24th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Gorgeous! :grin:

Elphie
October 24th, 2009, 09:48 PM
I really like that! Your hair looks warm and cozy, too!:D

chloeishere
October 24th, 2009, 09:52 PM
Wow, your hair is GORGEOUS! What a clever idea, it looks great!

mwedzi
October 24th, 2009, 10:40 PM
Thanks, everybody! I think I will try to make one specifically for hair use, with a lighter gauge wire, a bit more airy, and fewer beads. I can see that wearing it all day will be too heavy, but I can definitely modify it.

GlassEyes
October 25th, 2009, 04:13 AM
o-o Your bun is huuuuuuuuge. :p *points out the obvious*

It's really nice, and I like the colors--which is strange, considering I typically dislike gold shade. It looks lovely on you though!

Liluri
October 25th, 2009, 04:41 AM
That looks great, very creative :)

serious
October 25th, 2009, 05:04 AM
That looks awesome in your hair!
Gorgeous bun!

ETA: love the earrings, too!

Tangerine
October 25th, 2009, 05:19 AM
I love that! :inlove: What a creative idea.

And your hair really is simply gorgeous!!

elianne
October 25th, 2009, 06:05 AM
This is awesome! I have knitted some earrings before with 32 gauge wire, but I never thought to make hair toys before! I think I know what my next project is.... :D :D :D

iris
October 25th, 2009, 06:32 AM
Wow, that's beautiful. I love how the texture of the cuff works with the texture of your hair. Gorgeous!

plainjanegirl
October 25th, 2009, 05:26 PM
that looks so neat!

amaiaisabella
October 25th, 2009, 05:38 PM
I love it! You look very regal and self-possessed :)

basketcase413
October 25th, 2009, 05:47 PM
great idea! My wheels are turning for a design for the holidays!

clairenewcastle
October 25th, 2009, 05:51 PM
I love the fact it's very distinctive, it looks perfect against your hair.

dernhelm
October 25th, 2009, 06:51 PM
That looks beautiful in your hair!

Redheaded Raven
October 25th, 2009, 06:57 PM
Very pretty Indeed. :D

intothemist1999
October 25th, 2009, 08:31 PM
Great idea!

Your hair looks so pretty!! :agree:

banglaminerva
October 25th, 2009, 09:10 PM
Beautiful! I just came across a tute for knitting one but would love it as a hairtoy more than bracelet!

Darn it, why is the weekend already gone??!

Silver & Gold
October 25th, 2009, 09:23 PM
The cuff is a great idea but the thing that really made my eyes pop was your hair. Every time I see a picture of your hair I just have to stop and stare in amazement. You've done a wonderful job growing and caring for your hair.

LittleOrca
October 25th, 2009, 09:27 PM
I LOVE it! It looks awesome with your hair. At first I thought it was just how the light was hitting your hair, but then I saw the other photos. It's just... I'm at a loss for words. :thud:

SHELIAANN1969
October 25th, 2009, 09:55 PM
I see a new trend hitting the pages of LHC! ;)

That is super cool, I like the look.

plainjanegirl
October 25th, 2009, 10:06 PM
I wish I could make something like that. I'm not a craft talented person though. But I'd buy one if I found them being sold. That's how great it looks!

ravenreed
October 25th, 2009, 11:42 PM
I LOVE it! You look like a goddess with that in your hair. What gauge wire did you use? I have been wanting to try crocheting with wire. I also have a hairpin lace loom that I want to try wire on.

mwedzi
October 26th, 2009, 12:01 AM
Thanks, everyone. :D

Beautiful! I just came across a tute for knitting one but would love it as a hairtoy more than bracelet!

Darn it, why is the weekend already gone??!

What pattern were you looking at? There are nice ones in the book Twist and Loop.

The cuff is a great idea but the thing that really made my eyes pop was your hair. Every time I see a picture of your hair I just have to stop and stare in amazement. You've done a wonderful job growing and caring for your hair.

Really? :eek: Thank you!

I LOVE it! It looks awesome with your hair. At first I thought it was just how the light was hitting your hair, but then I saw the other photos. It's just... I'm at a loss for words. :thud:

:oops: Thank you.

I LOVE it! You look like a goddess with that in your hair. What gauge wire did you use? I have been wanting to try crocheting with wire. I also have a hairpin lace loom that I want to try wire on.

Thank you! I used 24 gauge, I think. But for the next one I make, I will use 28 gauge to make it lighter. When I made it I wasn't thinking about wearing it in my hair, but for this purpose, it should be lighter.

Shar2
October 26th, 2009, 12:07 AM
That's really cute and creative. And your hair is gorgeous! Love your bun.

marzipanfuntime
October 26th, 2009, 12:26 AM
Is crocheting significantly different from knitting in this case? I'd love to do one of these, but have only knitted.

mwedzi
October 26th, 2009, 12:56 AM
Is crocheting significantly different from knitting in this case? I'd love to do one of these, but have only knitted.

These can be either knitted or crocheted. Actually, I think the next one I do will be knitted.

Twist and Loop:
http://www.amazon.com/Twist-Loop-Jewelry-Designs-Crochet/dp/0307340198

ericthegreat
October 26th, 2009, 03:24 AM
Wow! That cuff looks so regal on you! I love how you literally made your own hair jewelry!

klcqtee
October 26th, 2009, 06:08 PM
Oh that's so pretty!

Also, your hair texture is incredibly beautiful! (Must be a pain to deal with though!)

RoseRedDead
October 26th, 2009, 07:14 PM
:thudpile:

I think that sums it up... What an amazing contraption, on an amazing head of hair. Very creative.

mwedzi
November 8th, 2009, 07:26 PM
Thanks, everyone!

I've tried knitting a couple new cuffs. The first one I posted was crocheted. I used a finer gauge wire this time, too. The first cuff came out huge! Fortunately my hair was "straightened" at the time, so my hair was actually big enough to fill out. The second one is very small for my hair. It's small and therefore tight enough that I can actually use it to hold my hair; the other cuffs were just placed over buns that were secured with bobby pins.

I think crochet gives nice results. *shrug*

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v194/mwedzi/Knitting/IMG_3170_2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v194/mwedzi/Knitting/IMG_3204_2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v194/mwedzi/Knitting/IMG_3206_2.jpg

I need skinnier wooden sticks or thicker metal ones than the ones I used. I'm going to have to look around for those.