PDA

View Full Version : I would like to Henna my hair...

Rinnirikku
October 24th, 2009, 03:37 PM
What have you guys found to be the best henna for your hair? (health wise and quality.):cheese:

brok3nwings
October 24th, 2009, 03:43 PM
Go to the "Recipes, Henna and herbal haircare"

Heidi_234
October 24th, 2009, 03:43 PM
Any BAQ (Body Art Quality, also known as mehandi) henna is pure 100% henna, and will benefit your hair a ton. There are reputable online sellers like Henna Sooq or Henna4Hair, but your can find BAQ henna locally in Indian stores too.

Rinnirikku
October 24th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Thank you both very much for the advice. Now how do you apply it? Do you mix it with lemon juice or anything, or just as is? And how long is usually best?:poot:

Pierre
October 24th, 2009, 07:40 PM
I mix henna, amla, cloves, and water, apply immediately, and leave on overnight.

YoginiCelestial
October 24th, 2009, 07:46 PM
What have you guys found to be the best henna for your hair? (health wise and quality.):cheese:
You can usually find henna mixes at natural food stores, and online. There are some brands recommended by users on here that I'm sure would be really good. I used Light Mountain Naturals, in Chestnut color.
I'm new to henna myself.

Shermie Girl
October 24th, 2009, 09:30 PM
Before you henna for the first time, do strand tests to be sure that you love the colour and that your hair likes it. Please, don't skip this step. It is important. :D

Pure, body art quality henna is the best way to go. It is very easy. Just mix henna powder and hot tap water until you have a paste the consistency of stirred yoghurt. Let it sit in the bowl on your kitchen counter for a couple of hours to release the dye.

Go into your bathroom, cover the floor and vanity with old towels or newspaper and put on gloves. Slop it into your hair, saturating every inch of every strand. Henna has no slip! Don't manipulate the hair tooo much and for heaven's sake, don't try to comb it! :lol: After the henna is in, pile your hair on your head, cover with a shower cap or plastic wrap and a turbie or an old knitted cap.

Use a wet washcloth to clean your neck and ears and so forth. Dump leftover paste in a freezer safe container and toss it in your freezer for use in the future. Clean up your bathroom, henna shouldn't stain your vanity or sink. Jump in the shower if you splashed henna on yourself. It is the easiest way to clean up... :lol:

Wear henna for at least four hours. Longer is better. Jump in the shower and start rinsing. Rinse until you think you have rinsed all the henna out. You haven't. :lol: Start slopping in big handfuls of cheap cone free conditioner. Work it through and start gently combing through your hair. Rinse. Add more conditioner, comb and rinse. Repeat until your hair is truly rinsed. (This process will take a long time! :lol:)

Dry and enjoy your new colour. Henna fades the first time out for many people. If yours does, don't freak out. Just henna, again. After the second application, your colour will most likely be bulletproof.

Now for a word of caution. Make danged sure that red hair is what you want, deep in your heart of hearts. Henna is permanent. No way to remove it, you have to cut it to get rid of it permanent. Henna isn't for trying on.

florenonite
October 25th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Before you henna for the first time, do strand tests to be sure that you love the colour and that your hair likes it. Please, don't skip this step. It is important. :D

Don't just make sure you love the colour, hold the hair you do the strand test on up to your face and make sure you love the colour on your face! Seriously, I got a gorgeous colour in my strand test, so I did my whole head, but the hair next to my face made me look horribly washed out.