PDA

View Full Version : grrr I just don't know what to do

natorade
October 23rd, 2009, 09:43 PM
As some you may know I was suppose to go to the salon 2 days ago to get my hair color fixed. Well, I chickened out and canceled my appt. I set up another appt for 27th and I am starting to get scared again. I just don't know what to do.

I have 1.5 inches of my natural color that has grown out and it has really made the color of my bleach blonde hair look drab and horrible. These roots are driving me CRAZY...But I am so scared of my hair being ruined again like it was almost 3 months ago.

I have about an inch of damage left on my canopy and it is finally starting to look like hair and not hay. I have stopped using a flat iron for 2 months now and I am finally starting to see some length. My back canopy layer has almost grown the length of my bottom layer of my hair. I feel in a couple more months I can just chop off the this last inch of damage. But, these roots are killing me. Any opinions what I should do with these roots?:confused::confused:

clairenewcastle
October 23rd, 2009, 09:49 PM
I'm growing out roots too so I understand exactly how you're feeling....gentle hug....however, all I can say is - be patient. Let it grow.
I've had so much colour damage I ended up chopping my long hair off in March to between my ears and shoulders. If I was to colour again I'd be back to where I started with even more damage so I'm wearing hats a lot and trying to ignore my roots.
All things pass.

kam984420
October 23rd, 2009, 09:50 PM
Any opinions what I should do with these roots?:confused::confused:

I would say leave the roots, IF you're wanting to grow out your natural color and just get rid of the last inch, that should just leave you with 2 colors instead of 3, shouldnt it?

ZenBird07
October 23rd, 2009, 09:53 PM
As some you may know I was suppose to go to the salon 2 days ago to get my hair color fixed. Well, I chickened out and canceled my appt. I set up another appt for 27th and I am starting to get scared again. I just don't know what to do.

I have 1.5 inches of my natural color that has grown out and it has really made the color of my bleach blonde hair look drab and horrible. These roots are driving me CRAZY...But I am so scared of my hair being ruined again like it was almost 3 months ago.

I have about an inch of damage left on my canopy and it is finally starting to look like hair and not hay. I have stopped using a flat iron for 2 months now and I am finally starting to see some length. My back canopy layer has almost grown the length of my bottom layer of my hair. I feel in a couple more months I can just chop off the this last inch of damage. But, these roots are killing me. Any opinions what I should do with these roots?:confused::confused:

Leave it alone... You should do what you're comfy with, I'm just sayin I been there. Think of it this way, You're at chin? You've got nearly 2 inches of beautiful virgin hair sprouting from your head. Grow it a bit longer and maybe go for a cut that has all virgin hair and grow out from there... HTH:):)

Brat
October 23rd, 2009, 09:54 PM
Have you thought about doing a deposit only color? Get the colorist to match your roots as close as they can? That's what I did to grow out some UGLY orange highlights. It faded after a couple of months, so I had to do it again, but a few salon trips is worth it to me. Deposit only won't lighten anything, so much less damage. It's just adding color.

natorade
October 23rd, 2009, 09:55 PM
I would say leave the roots, IF you're wanting to grow out your natural color and just get rid of the last inch, that should just leave you with 2 colors instead of 3, shouldnt it?
No, I will still have 3 colors. The inch will just get rid of the severe damage. I have to cut about 3 inches to get rid of all the old bleach which would then leave me with 2 colors. Although, the 2 colors are actually starting to blend with each other. Did that make any sense? lol

natorade
October 23rd, 2009, 09:58 PM

Leave it alone... You should do what you're comfy with, I'm just sayin I been there. Think of it this way, You're at chin? You've got nearly 2 inches of beautiful virgin hair sprouting from your head. Grow it a bit longer and maybe go for a cut that has all virgin hair and grow out from there... HTH:):)
Actually I am not at chin length right now. I am just below my earlobes trying to get to chin length again. I have about 3 inches of the old bleach hair left.

natorade
October 23rd, 2009, 10:01 PM
Have you thought about doing a deposit only color? Get the colorist to match your roots as close as they can? That's what I did to grow out some UGLY orange highlights. It faded after a couple of months, so I had to do it again, but a few salon trips is worth it to me. Deposit only won't lighten anything, so much less damage. It's just adding color.
I have thought about coloring my ends the color of my roots but I actually don't like my natural color. I have always had highlights to lighten my natural color and usually never had any problems. It's just the last salon I went too completely ruined my highlights. So, now I am salon timid.

kam984420
October 23rd, 2009, 10:18 PM
No, I will still have 3 colors. The inch will just get rid of the severe damage. I have to cut about 3 inches to get rid of all the old bleach which would then leave me with 2 colors. Although, the 2 colors are actually starting to blend with each other. Did that make any sense? lol

Yes that makes sense.

ravenreed
October 23rd, 2009, 10:41 PM
If you did deposit only, it shouldn't be permanent... it might however get you through the current omg I hate my hair look without damaging it further. I guess my question is would you hate having all your hair the color of your roots more or less than you do hate what you have right now?

I have thought about coloring my ends the color of my roots but I actually don't like my natural color. I have always had highlights to lighten my natural color and usually never had any problems. It's just the last salon I went too completely ruined my highlights. So, now I am salon timid.

yellowchariot
October 23rd, 2009, 11:34 PM
I don't know a lot (as you've guessed by now lol) but in my opinion I'm with everyone saying to let it grow.
This may be terrible advice, and against LHC rules lol, but what if you colored your hair to match your original hair (roots). Then just maintain it and grow it out. As your hair gets around neck/shoulder length, then start cutting out the color treated part as necessary but still letting your hair grow out again longer, and then trimming again. . . eh? :confused:

motormuffin
October 24th, 2009, 12:10 AM
I went through this too...I'm trying to remember. I had all super crispy bleached hair. The girl did such a good job fixing it. She put some sort of all over base color to get it close to natural. Then she went back and did some sort of low light/high light thing. Then the next time I went back, she would just do highlights.

brok3nwings
October 24th, 2009, 08:08 AM
it depends on you if you are willing to wait to let the bleached part grow and then chop it or not. If you think you cant handle it (as you have roots but not much) i would go to the hairdresser and ask for the nearest color to my natural (it would be a darker color so the amount of peroxide is minimum)

amaiaisabella
October 24th, 2009, 08:19 AM
Do you want virgin hair? Or do you just want to get it to grow out as fast as possible? Life's too short to be unhappy with your hair. If you don't like your color, you can henna, cassia, or use a deposit-only color. I can verify that my hair was FRIED, and it still grew when I did the deposit-only color and babied it more than I would normally. You're the one who has to look in the mirror everyday, and if you're unhappy with your hair, well, what's the point?

natorade
October 24th, 2009, 01:32 PM
Here is a picture of my roots. At the end of the dark part is another inch of a more orangish color. The orangish came from the my last salon visit when the girl put a toner on hair that turned my roots orange. The orange has since kind of faded but up close you can see where my hair goes from 1.5 inches virgin hair then 1 inch old orange then the rest is the bleach blonde. You can really see my roots when at the top notch on top of my head.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=3992&pictureid=53487

jojo
October 24th, 2009, 04:53 PM
how about some semi low lights, to help blend them in more?

Or maybe henna?

linda g
October 24th, 2009, 05:03 PM
natorade, what color do you want eventually?

GoldLady
October 24th, 2009, 05:53 PM
It is so hard to find a colorist you can trust, isn't it? :rolleyes:

I got some great advice from a colorist that has worked for me. When I originally came to her, my hair had a green cast to it from a bad colorist I trusted when I was new to that city.

She said keep your eyes out for someone that has great color in your city and ask them where they got it done. Works like a charm; I have found two new colorists in two different cities successfully that way. I like two or three colors foiled in very close to my natural color for minimal 'rootage'. :)

The other option is to try an Aveda salon in your area. Their color is gentle and ammonia free and their colorists are generally qualified to be there. You can locate a salon in your area, and see what they specialize in on their site.

I agree that if you can, leave your color alone as much as possible... but I also know when you are unhappy with your hair, it wears on you and makes you tempted to cut or do something drastic, so beware of that, too. I think it looks great, though!

p.s. henna has always given me a darker and/or orange cast that I do not like; it has never lightened. If you use henna, be careful of the kind you use if you think you may go back to traditional coloring. The salts in some henna's can make it unadvisable to go back to permanent color.

natorade
October 24th, 2009, 07:45 PM
natorade, what color do you want eventually?
I actually want to stay blonde. I just don't want to be paltinum blonde anymore. More natural looking blonde. I am just so afraid of my roots turning orange again

natorade
October 24th, 2009, 07:50 PM
If you look at my album the picture with the longer hair is what I eventually want to be again. That is my natural haie color with highlights done maybe 2-3 times a year. Ater the salon mess up I had to go platinum but I hated the root upkeep. I want to be able to go along time between highlights and have the highlights belnd with my natural color like it use too.

Leena7
October 24th, 2009, 09:58 PM
I bleached my hair and then decided to go back to my natural color a few months later. I just had the salon dye my ends back to brown. Honestly, I am very happy that I did it. I couldn't tolerate growing out my hair while the ends were bleach blonde. I felt like having blonde ends and long dark roots made my hair look more damaged, even though I know dying it brown again was also damaging...

natorade
October 25th, 2009, 12:34 AM
Ok, I think I am going to talk to the colorist about highlighting some of my root to blend and then adding a few lowlights to the ends. I just don't like the idea of going my natural color all over. It to me is such a drab mousy color. Who knows, I will probably change my mind again.

pinchbeck
October 25th, 2009, 04:58 PM
OK, here's my idea. You can either:

1) Use a semi-permanent hair colour that matches your virgin hair so your hair is all one colour; this will not damage your already porous coloured hair.
2) Go to a colour technician (not a person who does both) and have lowlights put in your hair to lessen the severity of the new growth coming in using the same colour as your virgin hair.
3) Learn to love the colour of hair you were born with and accept this is you and you are beautiful being a blond and not being a blond.

juliaxena
October 26th, 2009, 12:56 AM
If you are not going to have platinum, I'd say wait, till you can cut that off, don't dye the platinum part. As far as the rest of your hair goes, you can try a semi permanent gold blonde dye. It lightens up your hair a bit and it has enough pigment that it should cover orange parts (although I don't see any??). You can try doing it yourself, it could be better, because stylists don't usually have ammonia free dyes. To protects your ends, put some conditioner on them while you dye the rest of your hair. I'd do it for you lol but unfortunatelly i won't be at your continent any time soon lol.

Maddy25
October 26th, 2009, 08:17 AM
I know exactly how you feel! I was growing in my natural dark blonde hair and got about 2 inches, it took so long and it made the rest of my bright blonde dyed hair look greasy and weird so I caved and dyed. If it will make you happier with your hair I say get just the length dyed to match as close as you can to the roots, but dont go all drastic like me and dye it a colour very far from your natural, because I am really regretting it now and am waiting for it to fade out so I can dye it a lighter brown.

LawyerGirl
October 26th, 2009, 08:22 AM
I agree with everyone else... lowlights, match to roots, or suffer through it. If you trim as you go along, and get rid of the damage as you do so, you'll be so glad you didn't further damage your hair in the process.

If you MUST be blonde... what about honey lightening just to try to blend the roots a little? (I'm not blonde, so I don't really know how this works.)