PDA

View Full Version : preparation before using a straightening iron

Sarah4983
October 23rd, 2009, 08:15 PM
I was thinking about breaking out my hair straightener for Halloween this year. I haven't used it in months... since about last May... and I think with some good preparation, my hair can handle one straightening session.

However, I'm unsure about how to prepare my hair so I have the least amount of breakage/damage possible.

I have Chi protective spray to use just prior to using the flatiron, but should I use cones shampoo/conditioner or no cones shampoo/conditioner before straightening?

I've been cone free for a while now and I quite like it. My hair is falling out rapidly as I posted about earlier, but it is shiny for the first time ever without cones... but if using cones in my 'poo and co will help protect it, then I shall use them this week.

Any tips and advice you have is greatly appreciated :)

clairenewcastle
October 23rd, 2009, 08:31 PM
There's no harm in using a straightening iron occasionally - you might as well enjoy your hair, after all it's Hallloween! What other excuse is there?
Since going cone free two years ago I've now found a natural shine that I much prefer to the awful effects cones had on my hair.
Would it be possible to get a cone-free heat protection spray? Wish I knew of one to suggest but I don't - sorry.
Enjoy Halloween. :)

ericthegreat
October 23rd, 2009, 08:33 PM
To be completely honest, nothing actually protects hair from temperatures that high. Even set on low a flat iron is at least say 160 degrees or so, and anything lower and you are just heating your hair without even effectively straightening it. All these "heat protectant" products only merely coat your hair with silicone and some fatty alcohols, they DO NOT IN ANY WAY protect hair from heat I mean would you spray that stuff on your skin and then put a sizzling hot flat iron to it!!!!!!!!? Of course not!

Nonetheless, life is short so if you want to use heat on your hair once in a while, have fun! Iron your hair for that occasion, enjoy it ! When I straighten my hair I actually only use a round brush and my blow dryer, and that alone is enough to make my hair pin straight.

artowl
October 23rd, 2009, 08:36 PM
I would let your hair air dry, apply the heat protecting spray, straighten it with the least level possible (300 degrees is usually plenty for the more expensive ones, drugstore ones: about halfway or more depending on your hair's coarseness).

Brat
October 23rd, 2009, 08:40 PM
I use the Chi flat iron spray BEFORE blow drying, then the Chi Silk Infusion serum right before ironing. I find that if I let it air dry, I have to make more passes with the iron to get it smooth. One pass on each chunk is what I aim for.

Flynn
October 23rd, 2009, 08:41 PM
Just make sure it's completely dry before you hit it with the iron.

Brat
October 23rd, 2009, 08:50 PM
Just make sure it's completely dry before you hit it with the iron.

Yes! Sizzle is BAD! Steam is ok, if it is the product that is steaming off. Just make it quick lol

Sarah4983
October 24th, 2009, 05:39 AM
you are the best. :)

thanks for the tips!

And I would have never thought of blow drying first to keep from having to run the iron through over and over but it makes sense.

I'm kind of excited about straightening now that my hair is a bit longer than 6 months ago.

Hopefully it will have been worth the wait and my hair recovers :)

Sarah4983
October 24th, 2009, 05:43 AM
One more question:
would it help to moisturize with say... a SMT a couple days before I straighten??

GlassEyes
October 24th, 2009, 06:05 AM
It might make straightening easier, yes. Oddly enough, I find the healthier the hair, the easier it is, though I still have a hard time straightening my hair.

Works better when I use olive oil instead of heat protectant too, not that heat protectant DOES anything. Though I wouldn't go that route, my hair is a lot more resistant than I think your's would be.

As long as you're doing single passes you should be fine. Once won't kill your hair if done properly.

spidermom
October 24th, 2009, 09:44 AM
My stylist says that what the heat protective spray does is make your hair very slick so that the iron glides down it rather than "grabbing" anywhere. So definitely use it, move the iron down the strand very fast, and do each strand only once. That's the best way to avoid damage if you want to use the flat iron.