PDA

View Full Version : Hair Parting; Change Beneficial?

pinchbeck
October 23rd, 2009, 11:48 AM
I read that changing where the hair is parted puts less stress on it. Is this true? Do you change your hair part for this reason?

Longlocks3
October 23rd, 2009, 11:54 AM
I think so! I had the same part for years and developed breakage in that area. I change it up often now.

amaiaisabella
October 23rd, 2009, 12:20 PM
I try to change it by increments every few weeks. I look at it like putting your updos in the same spot on your head every day. Best to move it around!

Niftytiffs
October 23rd, 2009, 12:21 PM
I have a wandering parting now, it wonders all around the place! I always used to have my hair parted on my right side but I found my hair was so thin on that side that I made a decision to change it to the other side one day. I felt like I instantly gained more thickness!

Tiffers

Saahira
October 23rd, 2009, 12:28 PM
It never occurred to me that having a part in only one place might be harmful. Yikes! My hair naturally parts down the middle, and I've been wearing it that way for at least (mumbles indeciferably) years. Should I start trying to alternate my part? :(

MAO
October 23rd, 2009, 12:37 PM
I can't make my part do anything! I can change it, but then it goes back to wherever it wants to due to my curly cowlicks.

meph
October 23rd, 2009, 12:37 PM
I'm a bit sceptical about this. I wear my hair parted to the right and have done that for a long while. Sometimes I mix it up by parting it deeper, not because I'm afraid my hair will be damaged by wearing it in the same part day in day out, but because I like it. Of course the right side of my hair looks thinner because more hair hangs down at the left.

I'm not saying that this theory isn't true. I'm just saying that I have to see damage occurring first before I believe it. But, parting your hair different from time to time is fun and it makes you look different without cutting or dying your hair.

Oh, and if someone really knows for sure that wearing your hair parted the same way every day creates damage, I'll be pleased to hear about it.

artowl
October 23rd, 2009, 12:39 PM
I'm not entirely sure about that, but it can help that "I need to change my hair, but don't want to cut it/dye it!". I have really short hair and changing the part helps freshen my look up, so I'm not as tempted to start chopping.

jesamyn
October 23rd, 2009, 12:43 PM
I did work with a woman in her 60's who parted her hair straight down the middle every day. Despite having thick hair, her part was a good 1/2" or 3/4" of scalp. It was very noticeably wider than just a part. I don't know her part was so wide from being in the same place for so long, but it encouraged me to mix mine up from time to time.

rchorr
October 24th, 2009, 08:54 AM
It's supposed to help keep from stressing the same hair over and over. However, my hair really does NOT like to be parted differently. Also, I part it on the side because one side of my hair is thicker than the other.

As with almost everything else, I think it really depends on your individual hair.

RCHORR'

Heidi_234
October 24th, 2009, 09:45 AM
I did work with a woman in her 60's who parted her hair straight down the middle every day. Despite having thick hair, her part was a good 1/2" or 3/4" of scalp. It was very noticeably wider than just a part. I don't know her part was so wide from being in the same place for so long, but it encouraged me to mix mine up from time to time.
All my life I parted my hair in the middle, it's not wide or anything. I don't think parting it differently reduces damage because of the parting, but it does expose different layers of hairs to work as the 'canopy layer', thus avoiding the same hairs being exposes day after day to the elements, and making them specifically less prone to damage years after (the ends of my canopy layer are totally wrecked by now, due to prior abuse).

Sissy
October 24th, 2009, 09:52 AM

ohhh... I part mine straight down the center and have often wondered if mine was too much scalp visible :(

I have worried about this quite a bit... but not sure how to train my part to be in a different area... it seems to cause breakage trying to change it.

viking_quest
October 24th, 2009, 09:59 AM
I just part my hair however I feel like that day but I wore it in a left part for years and then a right part for years and I didn't see any breakage or thinning.

meichigo
October 24th, 2009, 01:36 PM
That kind of makes sense, as per Heidi's post above, but like a lot of people here my hair has a natural part (center) that it automatically goes to. I usually tidy it up because it doesn't fall in a straight line, but that's still it's default position. I've found that I can alter it if I do it straight out of the shower, though. Right now I'm parting on the left, in preparation for my Holly Golightly this Halloween. (Normally I do the right if I'm going to try for the side.)

Korms
October 24th, 2009, 04:36 PM
I just changed my parting because the top layers of my hair felt really dry and damaged, more so than the underneath layers. Perhaps because the top layers are more exposed to the elements? Anyway, upon changing it my hair felt softer and looked thicker, I guess because I now have less damaged hair on top.

lonestargal
October 25th, 2009, 07:39 AM

My aunt is like this. She's not in her 60"s but she has a center part and wears her hair in a low bun type thing every single day. For the last 25 years or so my uncle has been with her, I've never seen a different hair style on her. All that to say her part is HUGE!!
I try to change mine but it always seems to fall back to the side. I am growing out bangs so maybe as they get longer it will be able to fall in different places better. They are now to my chin so I was hoping it would get easier now but oh well. :)

Elfe
October 25th, 2009, 07:56 AM
I changed mine couple weeks ago, because I used to have it on the same site for years!
But I didn't see any differences in the thickness of my part...
I only wanted to change the side because I like the other half of my face more. :-D