PDA

View Full Version : When celebrating the holidays...

Deb!
October 23rd, 2009, 11:26 AM
Do you tend to wear your hair in a fancier up-do or do you wear it down?

Either way, do you wear holiday adornments in it?

Knittergirl
October 23rd, 2009, 11:29 AM
I wear red and green, jingle bell ribbons, the whole kaboodle. I love wacky hair stuff!

Amara
October 23rd, 2009, 11:32 AM
I get a red or white or green flower and wear mine up. I'm usually so busy that I don't want to be distracted by 'down' hair. :)

KatKeRo
October 23rd, 2009, 11:51 AM
When celebrating Yule I have my hair in a halfup with a wraith.
When going home to celebrate christmas I'll have it in an updo. Don't know wich one yet.

Eden Iris
October 23rd, 2009, 12:02 PM
I don't really change my hair for the holidays. For Thanksgiving dinner I might break out the fancy tulipwood fork, but nothing overtly seasonal.

Am a little scared of KatKeRo having a wraith in her hair, though.... (Sorry, don't mean to tease! I know it was a typo.)

Lemur_Catta
October 23rd, 2009, 12:03 PM
These will be my first holidays on LHC! I think I will keep my hair up, but nothing too fancy because I don't want to draw too much attention...I don't want my relatives commenting on it, they can be quite rude when they see something too strange.
I need to keep my hair up anyway (even last years I used to do a pony) because I will be cooking. I will probably wear my hair down later in the evenings, after dinner.

KatKeRo
October 23rd, 2009, 12:19 PM
Am a little scared of KatKeRo having a wraith in her hair, though.... (Sorry, don't mean to tease! I know it was a typo.)

I have stargate atlantis on my mind. I was reading a good fanfic.

Deb!
October 23rd, 2009, 04:43 PM
I wear red and green, jingle bell ribbons, the whole kaboodle. I love wacky hair stuff!

Me too!

When my hair was very long, I loved glamorizing it when the holidays rolled around!
Heck, I loved hair accessories all through the year!

I keep reminding myself, it's getting there, it's getting there...

bigmama8
October 23rd, 2009, 04:49 PM
I've always worn mine down but this is my first year at LHC and I hope to learn an updo by the holidays. I've been practicing with Spidermom's "bun that stays" so I can use it for the family gathering.

Deb!
October 23rd, 2009, 05:08 PM
I've always worn mine down but this is my first year at LHC and I hope to learn an updo by the holidays. I've been practicing with Spidermom's "bun that stays" so I can use it for the family gathering.

Mine too!

I've seen so many beautiful "dos" on here, inspiring me to do something with my hair this holiday season!

I'm thinking of something along the lines of glitter! ;)

UncommonTart
October 23rd, 2009, 05:33 PM
I do like to wear something extra special in my hair for the holidays. Just before last Christmas I bought a NightBlooming mistletoe hair stick and a pair of matching pearl pins, which I think of as beautifully wintery without being especially Christmassy. (I don't celebrate Christmas, but the rest of my family does.) I do tend to wear silver or blue in my hair at Channukah, but I tend to wear a lot of silver and/or blue year round since they are two of my favorite colors, so I'm not sure that that is significant.

I do like to break out the glitzy bejeweled hair pins and barrettes and such for holiday parties. I almost never wear them otherwise, as I'm not typically a "glittery" kind of person. (I love the way they look, but I tend to feel self-conscious and a bit silly in anything with more than one or two bits of sparkle. Somehow, the holidays make me feel more comfortable in sparkles.)

Sissy
October 23rd, 2009, 05:50 PM
I wear mine down but sometimes with something simple pinned on the side... like a flower or such.

bigmama8
October 23rd, 2009, 07:53 PM
Mine too!

I've seen so many beautiful "dos" on here, inspiring me to do something with my hair this holiday season!

I'm thinking of something along the lines of glitter! ;)

There are so many gorgeous hairdos on this site, but I've never done anything except a ponytail or braid before. LHC has inspired me to learn some new things. I'd love to figure out how to use ribbon somehow with an updo.

AmyJorgensen
October 23rd, 2009, 08:08 PM
I try to use my hair for the Halloween holiday. I don't do much for Christmas hair-wise. This year I am going to be Medusa. I will braid it in lots of braids, but I don't know whether to leave them hang or pile them on my head somehow.

JCFantasy23
October 24th, 2009, 01:32 AM
Last year I really wanted to do something nice with my hair for the two halloween parties I went to. I ended up looking FOREVER at Walmart aisle for little homemade ideas. My goals was a very, very small Santa hat (that wasn't cheat looking. I was going to wear a half updo, with the little Santa hat attached, and then curl the rest of my hair. I ended up not able to do any of that, sigh.

This year is easier, I only have one Halloween party to attend and I'm going as a mad scientist. Thought at first of just mousing my hair, brushing it upside down, and making it look crazy, but then figured that would be too annoying and tangly. Going to now put it in a bun and wear a pencil through it like maybe a scientist would (shrugs)

I was thinking of wearing Christmas color ribbon for Christmas with my Christmas earrings (every year I delight in annoying people with ornament earrings). I got the idea of weaving the different colored ribbons in a bun from a members album on here, but my memory escapes me on whose it was...

Hiriel
October 24th, 2009, 03:53 AM
I like wearing my hair down for special occasions, but the braided bun which has recently become my favourite does look quite neat. But I think I will have it in a half up with my small flexi8 with red beads, it looks quite Christmas-y and my hair will still be mostly down.

Carolyn
October 24th, 2009, 04:58 AM
Nope. I'll be doing one of my everyday buns. I don't like to call attention to my hair at family gatherings. The closest I might come to something "holiday" might be a red Ficcare or hairstick. About 15 or 20 years ago I was really into holiday and seasonal sweaters. I often matched a hair accessory to my sweater. I'm so over that now.

windinherhair
October 24th, 2009, 07:16 AM
I've always worn mine down and maybe added some curl with sponge rollers. I would do an updo, but maybe just a half up and my husband can be happy I wore it down too. :) If I am cooking in the kitchen, I have to wear it up though.

Masara
October 24th, 2009, 08:46 AM
I tend to do slightly fancier updos for Christmas if I've got the time. Sometimes, once I've got the kids ready, I've only got time for a fast French braid.

I'd like to have some "festive" hairtoys but nothing too silly if I have to wear it all day. I'm keeping an eye on Nightbloomin's shop.
Last year I found some red and green ribbon and braided it into my bun for the last day of school before the Chirstmas holidays.

Deb!
October 24th, 2009, 09:32 AM
I do like to wear something extra special in my hair for the holidays. Just before last Christmas I bought a NightBlooming mistletoe hair stick and a pair of matching pearl pins, which I think of as beautifully wintery without being especially Christmassy. (I don't celebrate Christmas, but the rest of my family does.) I do tend to wear silver or blue in my hair at Channukah, but I tend to wear a lot of silver and/or blue year round since they are two of my favorite colors, so I'm not sure that that is significant.

I do like to break out the glitzy bejeweled hair pins and barrettes and such for holiday parties. I almost never wear them otherwise, as I'm not typically a "glittery" kind of person. (I love the way they look, but I tend to feel self-conscious and a bit silly in anything with more than one or two bits of sparkle. Somehow, the holidays make me feel more comfortable in sparkles.)

I tend to do slightly fancier updos for Christmas if I've got the time. Sometimes, once I've got the kids ready, I've only got time for a fast French braid.

I'd like to have some "festive" hairtoys but nothing too silly if I have to wear it all day. I'm keeping an eye on Nightbloomin's shop.
Last year I found some red and green ribbon and braided it into my bun for the last day of school before the Chirstmas holidays.

You both mentioned "Nightblooming". What is their site addy?

Hiriel
October 24th, 2009, 09:40 AM

Nightblooming's beautiful hairsticks can be found here (http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5131346) :)

ericthegreat
October 24th, 2009, 09:57 AM
Oh definitely. But since I love to wear my hair down, I usually have my hair curled when I want to do something fancy. I'll usually use a curling iron to make those big, spiral curls. I also have some jeweled hair clips and some jeweled barrettes, I'll use them to pin back just a small section and leave the rest of my hair down. For Christmas I do have a several really cute sweaters that come in handy for the weather during that time of year. One of my uncles has a gorgeous house with a fireplace. When the whole family visits I'll drink eggnog or some hot cocoa and sit by the fireplace.

Elbereth
October 24th, 2009, 12:16 PM
We visit relatives during holidays, so my styles tend to be simple and made durability in mind. So far, I have worn my hair up in some reliable style. I love any occassion to wear pretty hairtoys, though, so I will decorate my hair with something nice.

meichigo
October 24th, 2009, 12:46 PM
Hair up when I'm bein' fancy.

JamieLeigh
October 24th, 2009, 01:11 PM
I usually wear it up - last Christmas at my MIL's family's, though, I had it down, per her request. :rolleyes: And yes, I've been known to decorate with sprigs of holly and tree ornaments when I wear it up. :D

UncommonTart
October 24th, 2009, 03:00 PM

Nightblooming.etsy.com

She makes the most stunning hair delights- drop dead gorgeous things, really. She is a member here, as well.

It's probably best to hide the credit card the first time you look, or else you run the risk of going nuts like I did- ordered far too may pieces my first time and I don't regret it one bit!. :D

ETA: There's a thread here filled with wonderful pictures, as well: My NightBlooming's (Nightshade) set and Hair Stick (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=1652)

Rivanariko
October 24th, 2009, 05:29 PM
This will be my first holiday season on LHC and I'm hoping to do something fun and special with my hair. In the past, I've always just left it down, but I left it down all the time. Trying to come up with some cheap and easy homemade hair accessories that I can make...

Bene
October 24th, 2009, 05:32 PM
Can't say that I do anything fancy to my hair for holidays. I don't really celebrate any, but I DO have to make the rounds with friends and family (can't pass up a free meal!).

The one thing I do sort of celebrate is the new year, but that includes a big meal and plenty of booze. Last New Years, I was in the middle of doing an SMT, but I managed to get it all rinsed out in time to see the ball drop :D

Deb!
October 24th, 2009, 09:03 PM
Nightblooming.etsy.com

She makes the most stunning hair delights- drop dead gorgeous things, really. She is a member here, as well.

It's probably best to hide the credit card the first time you look, or else you run the risk of going nuts like I did- ordered far too may pieces my first time and I don't regret it one bit!. :D

ETA: There's a thread here filled with wonderful pictures, as well: My NightBlooming's (Nightshade) set and Hair Stick (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=1652)

I looked earlier this evening and saw something I want. :D

Deb!
October 24th, 2009, 09:08 PM
We visit relatives during holidays, so my styles tend to be simple and made durability in mind. So far, I have worn my hair up in some reliable style. I love any occassion to wear pretty hairtoys, though, so I will decorate my hair with something nice.

I need to put some sort of bauble(s) in my hair this holiday season!

I need to kick my femininity up a notch! :eyebrows:

LittleOrca
October 24th, 2009, 10:22 PM
I like to leave my hair down for Yule and wear evergreens in it. Sometimes I get little tiny twigs with needles still on them and clip them in my hair or make a wreath out of cut branches and wear them. They smell very good. :)

Deb!
October 24th, 2009, 11:04 PM
I like to leave my hair down for Yule and wear evergreens in it. Sometimes I get little tiny twigs with needles still on them and clip them in my hair or make a wreath out of cut branches and wear them. They smell very good. :)

Reading this has inspired me on several levels!

There are several holly trees on our property but I've never thought of putting a sprig with berries in my hair...until now! ;)

I collect acorns and pine cones from the woods behind our house, for craft projects. I also build things with wood(big and small) BUT I've never thought to use any of these items as/on hair accessories.

You've got my mind reeling!

LittleOrca
October 24th, 2009, 11:08 PM
Reading this has inspired me on several levels!

There are several holly trees on our property but I've never thought of putting a sprig with berries in my hair...until now! ;)

I collect acorns and pine cones from the woods behind our house, for craft projects. I also build things with wood(big and small) BUT I've never thought to use any of these items as/on hair accessories.

You've got my mind reeling!

:D Just be careful! They can be tricky to keep in your hair and I am sure the holly will be a little prickly. I know the pine needles are. I have considered visiting the craft store and getting fake materials, but the real stuff is so much more fun. :)

Liat
October 24th, 2009, 11:23 PM