PDA

View Full Version : Tangles?

zelah
April 21st, 2008, 12:38 PM
What do you do make your hair less tangly? I comb all tangles out in the morning while my hair is dry, but by the time an hour or so has passed my hair is already tangly again. My job doesn't require a whole lot of movement, just walking between rooms once in a while and sitting in a chair. I've tried oiling with jojoba, olive oil, or vitamin E, but they all just seem to make my hair really staticky the next morning. Any suggestions?

Áine
April 21st, 2008, 12:43 PM
It sounds like the cuticles of your hair may be catching each other, causing them to "velcro" and tangle.

Get rid of split, torn, and frayed ends, and see what that does for you.

Try doing styles that would protect your hair length, such as a braid, bun, or even a low ponytail.

Some treatments that help the cuticle to lay down are the caramel treatment or ACV clarification) , and maybe more moisturization (like misting) rather than just oiling.

zelah
April 21st, 2008, 05:28 PM
Thanks for the info! I will go ahead and try trimming a little bit (despite the objections of DBF), and misting sounds like a great idea.

I usually end up wearing buns at work anyway, just because it gets so hot here. But I love it when my hair is down. If nothing else seems to really work I'll go ahead and try out a caramel treatment.. it just sounds like a lot of work and I'm a bit on the lazy side. :o

spidermom
April 21st, 2008, 05:33 PM
If my hair isn't up or securely braided, it tangles. Some areas of a braid are prone to tangling as well. Fact of life.

Ohio Sky
April 21st, 2008, 05:34 PM
I havent figured out how to get rid of my snarls yet, but DDs super tangle-prone hair and I have had nary a battle since I started using sweet almond oil on her. Jojoba, shea, EVOO, none of that stuff works as well on her.
Me, I just have to have my cones :o

WritingPrincess
April 21st, 2008, 06:05 PM
I have tangly hair too. I wear my hair in a bun or a braid every day, and even with a braid, my hair will tangle. I find that an S&D session helps. I also oil my hair with coconut oil after a wash and that makes the comb go through so easily. I found that the oil helped a lot more than the S&D, but that's because I have very few split ends and have to hunt for several minutes to find one.

julya
April 22nd, 2008, 03:14 AM
My hair loves to get tangled too. I think that the first half is already tangled by the time I finish detangling the other side. 99% of the time my hair stays in a bun. I find that braids tangle a lot unless I'm just sitting still.

aisling
April 22nd, 2008, 04:30 AM
Long hair down usually means some kind of tangles. Extra tangly ends and ends that stick to each other usually means a lot of damage or then buildup, at least this is my experience. It's always a good idea to clarify first with shampoo or baking soda (ACV=apple cider vinegar isn't clarifying) before trimming, clarifying can actually take care of the problem and no trim is needed.

catfish
April 22nd, 2008, 10:04 AM
I too am from tangle land, everyone has given great ideas, I just want to second the braiding. Braids and conditioner on the ends is all that works for me, plus trimming. I love oils but only in buns, oiled hair down is a matt waiting to happen for me. Good luck:D

mommy2one05
April 22nd, 2008, 10:21 AM
I agree with the updos or braids to have less tangles though i do admit to wearing my waist length hair loose alot but I use cones and alot of detangler

zelah
April 22nd, 2008, 11:35 AM
Thanks everyone! These are all some great ideas. I have a feeling my bathroom and kitchen are about to become one large experimentation lab... yay!

Irishred
April 22nd, 2008, 11:55 AM
Tangles? I always have tangles. Teacherbear has a great article Keeping Split ends at Bay (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=8).

You do not need to trim to get rid of splits. If I did that I would go from classic to waist. I suggest you S&D for splits. I S&D weekly sometimes more. If it is yourr office chair, see if you can put a satin pillowcase (they come in so many colors) over the back.

Moisture!

I love to wear my hair down too but I do it for special occasions or to feel special. For everyday, I braid or bun. This is safer for both me and my hair LOL.

Anje
April 22nd, 2008, 11:58 AM
How do you wash your hair? I CO-wash, and noticed that my hair was getting unusually tangly a few days ago. Shampoo + conditioner yesterday, and now my hair is light (nearly floaty, but that's fine hair for you...) and not tangly again. Sometimes you just need to clarify a little.

Splits also cause tangles and are caused by them. It's worth it to go through your hair at least every few weeks and cut out any you find.

heidi w.
April 22nd, 2008, 02:34 PM
Updos and braids

Humidifier at night (in the sleeping area) might help with static problems. Static is usually about air being too dry. It's been a long winter, at least over here it has.

heidi w.

zelah
April 22nd, 2008, 04:52 PM
How do you wash your hair? I CO-wash, and noticed that my hair was getting unusually tangly a few days ago. Shampoo + conditioner yesterday, and now my hair is light (nearly floaty, but that's fine hair for you...) and not tangly again. Sometimes you just need to clarify a little.

Splits also cause tangles and are caused by them. It's worth it to go through your hair at least every few weeks and cut out any you find.

I just shampoo, then condition the ends. A lot of people are suggesting the clarifying, so I'll have to find a poo for that. I was under the assumption the ACV was clarifying before. Also I actually got a pair of scissors today so I can start trimming off the bad stuff. :D

zelah
April 22nd, 2008, 05:05 PM
Tangles? I always have tangles. Teacherbear has a great article Keeping Split ends at Bay (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=8).

You do not need to trim to get rid of splits. If I did that I would go from classic to waist. I suggest you S&D for splits. I S&D weekly sometimes more. If it is yourr office chair, see if you can put a satin pillowcase (they come in so many colors) over the back.

Moisture!

I love to wear my hair down too but I do it for special occasions or to feel special. For everyday, I braid or bun. This is safer for both me and my hair LOL.

Thanks for the link! Also, that satin pillow idea sounds rather intriguing. I may try it out so long as the boss doesn't care. :)

lookingglass
April 22nd, 2008, 08:31 PM
I henna, wear up do's, sleep in a braid, S&D, condition, and finger comb to prevent and treat snarls! Long and curly...wooo-wheee!:demon: I only comb with lots of conditioner on damp hair and never brush or blow dry.

Cichelle
April 22nd, 2008, 09:07 PM
I think I have the most tangly hair of all. At one point, I figured out, almost by accident, that some of my problem was just too much product and not enough washing. I use shampoo (a shampoo bar) now much more often and keep the products to a minimum. I wear my hair in a twist or bun most all of the time and have it covered at night (or sleep on a satin or silk pillow case.) These things have helped, but not "cured" my tangly problem.

wonhwa
April 22nd, 2008, 10:01 PM
My hair tangles at the nape of my neck, especially if in a braid that is begun there. I do use a non-frizz product called "Glossing Polish", I forget the brand; clear plastic bottle with black lid, found at Sally's.
Also use Dove Conditioner, and if I do these two things, I have fewer tangles. I also use Johnson's No More Tangles on occasion. It works as well as it did when I was a little girl.

Good luck.

LaCitoyenne
April 23rd, 2008, 08:23 AM
I use Giovanni Direct Leave-In. It goes on all moist and slick. But hours later when my hair is dry, it feels matted and tangly. By the next day, it's not fit to be seen in public. Does anyone else experience this? I'm thinking my hair might not like protein. I'm about to try an Aubrey rinse-out conditioner that contains no (obvious) protein or cones; hopefully it will last long enough out of the shower that I won't need a leave-in. Vada is working OK as a replacement for the Giovanni, but it's not really meant to stay in the hair (slightly sticky). Now if I can get my hands on some of that camellia oil that's all the rave here, I'll give that a go!

Loops
April 23rd, 2008, 08:28 AM
Hiya -

yes I sometimes find that with the Giovanni direct conditioner - I think it is quite protein-rich. The protein seems to build up on me after awhile w/o shampooing.

A BS conditioner wash always gets my hair right again if it feels unusually tangly. My hair is a big tangle ball naturally - I'm hoping an uninterrupted stint of COing will correct this - it does usually if I keep it up long enough.

Loops

LaCitoyenne
April 23rd, 2008, 09:58 AM
Thanks, Loops.

I'm not sure if BS (mixed with shampoo) helped me or not. I think the protein issue just overwhelms everything and I must deal with that first and foremost.

The last few days - apart from dropping Giovanni and replacing it with Vada - I've been using diluted shampoo, mainly on the scalp. The combination has already wrought a noticeable improvement.

I should say that last week I was experimenting with a cone-laden conditioner intended for hard/well water. I think it exacerbated my problems, making my hair even more dry than usual. I guess I don't need it!

I don't know who said this, but it really impressed me: avoid the build-up/clarify cycle by simply not using products that build up. How wise and logical!! Now if I can only get there...

Komao
August 24th, 2013, 06:03 PM
If my hair isn't up or securely braided, it tangles. Some areas of a braid are prone to tangling as well. Fact of life.

My hair never tangles when it's down and just at home. When I wash it and then comb it, no problems. Usually going out I have an up-do or braided, no problems there.
I would like to occasionally wear it down & whenever I try it tangles. A breeze can do it. Is there anything I can do for those rare times I would like to wear it down? I do trim it every 3-4 months. It's only mid back length. I oil it. Any help will be appreciated. I love long hair but its so disappointing to me that I can't wear it down, once in awhile.

melusine963
August 24th, 2013, 06:29 PM
My hair never tangles when it's down and just at home. When I wash it and then comb it, no problems. Usually going out I have an up-do or braided, no problems there.
I would like to occasionally wear it down & whenever I try it tangles. A breeze can do it. Is there anything I can do for those rare times I would like to wear it down? I do trim it every 3-4 months. It's only mid back length. I oil it. Any help will be appreciated. I love long hair but its so disappointing to me that I can't wear it down, once in awhile.

Why don't you make an actual dedicated post, rather than reviving an ancient thread? You can tell us more about your hair type, the climate where you live, etc. and people will be able to give a lot of great advice. There's sure to be others here with exactly the same hair type and issues who've found solutions to your problems.

Komao
August 24th, 2013, 07:22 PM
Why don't you make an actual dedicated post, rather than reviving an ancient thread? You can tell us more about your hair type, the climate where you live, etc. and people will be able to give a lot of great advice. There's sure to be others here with exactly the same hair type and issues who've found solutions to your problems.

Thank you, I will do that :)

HollyG
August 25th, 2013, 09:03 AM
Starting to try and sleep with rope braids now as i move A LOT at night.

Aussie 3 min miracle leave in works for me, if a tangle teezer or comb is struggling i'll spray some on and then comb it out. I am trying to wear my hair up at the moment but i don't like braids or my hair out the way a lot i.e. bun and pony tails look straggly so get knots a lot

jacqueline101
August 25th, 2013, 09:09 AM
Using cones has helped the tangle issues and so does up dos.

LadyCelestina
August 25th, 2013, 12:11 PM
Frequent fingercombing,not using styling products,oils and cones are what keeps my hair relatively ok.I still do have tangles! Just not huge,obvious ones you spend ages detangling.

roboeyes
September 5th, 2013, 11:08 AM
Vinegar rinses can help smooth the shaft of the hair, which prevents the hairs from sticking together and tangling.

I personally use an occasional vinegar rinse, a -cone conditioner every now and then, but EVERY DAY I use Original Sprout detangler. It's awesome... Smells nice, acidic pH, and really works, without leaving nasty build-up on my hair.

Leeloo
September 5th, 2013, 01:35 PM
What do you do make your hair less tangly? I comb all tangles out in the morning while my hair is dry, but by the time an hour or so has passed my hair is already tangly again. My job doesn't require a whole lot of movement, just walking between rooms once in a while and sitting in a chair. I've tried oiling with jojoba, olive oil, or vitamin E, but they all just seem to make my hair really staticky the next morning. Any suggestions?

Have you tried a catnip rinse?

PamelaViktoria
September 5th, 2013, 01:57 PM
S&D is so important for my hair right now. I'm doing a no cut experiment right now, haven't cut since April. So my old highlights get tangly.